Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Demi Human Deities
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2022 :  08:50:49  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Um I've got a problem, it's for my homebrew world and setting, I need Demi Human Deities, but all I can find is for FR.

I need these deities for my setting,

LW

Mod edit: Found this one floating in the ethers and relocated it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Sep 2022 11:18:54

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2022 :  11:21:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The gods of the demihumans are pan-spheric and are worshipped on most worlds where that particular race can be found.

So with the exception of Krynn, on any world with elves, the Seldarine will likely be worshipped there. And so on.

You've two choices: Use those deities, or make up your own.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2022 :  22:28:31  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to use them, 5th D&D mention this fact as well which will make easier for my homebrew setting.

LW
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2022 :  13:28:07  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only other source for AD&D would be monstrous mythology from 2nd E. There are some demihuman gods there that are not in demihuman Deities. In old D&D there were the Immortals, which was basically a whole different rules set for god-level beings.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1486 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2022 :  15:44:40  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
90% of the non-human racial powers are multispheric and worshipped outside the realms. I assume that humans are a sort of template race that other deities decided to copy, which is why you have multiple human pantheons, while the nonhuman pantheons either made their worshipers in their image or were made in the image of their worshipers.

Or whatever goofy lore they have for the kuo-toa nowadays, since apparently "Blibdolpoolp is basically what a kuo-toa Lovecraftian deity would look like" is somehow less interesting than "kuo-toa are idiots."
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2022 :  14:04:38  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Or whatever goofy lore they have for the kuo-toa nowadays, since apparently "Blibdolpoolp is basically what a kuo-toa Lovecraftian deity would look like" is somehow less interesting than "kuo-toa are idiots."

What happened to old Blippy?
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2022 :  19:13:06  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AuldDragon’s Monster Mythology is the most comprehensive work that covers literally every deity, organized by culture, ever in D&D history. You cannot get more thorough than this if you don’t want to do anything yourself.

https://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5493

https://blog.aulddragon.com/monster-mythology-update/

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 15 Sep 2022 19:15:02
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11709 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2022 :  20:16:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
let me mirror Seethyr here and recommend Aulddragon's works. I will say though that Aulddragon does try to stay away somewhat from deities added after 2nd edition.

You might also want to look at the various "races of" books from 3rd edition (i.e. races of stone, races of the wild, etc...), as they include some extras as well. Also, if you just want a list...

https://annex.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_deities

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1298 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2022 :  23:37:15  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So with the exception of Krynn

I can imagine the Seldarine knocking on Krynn.

"Let us in! Buncha backwater snobs..."

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1486 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2022 :  09:39:45  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:

Krynn? Whenever Lathander looks back on the Dawn Cataclysm or Corellon on the Downfall of Lolth, they console themselves with thoughts of "at least I'm not Paladine."

quote:

90% of the non-human racial powers are multispheric and worshipped outside the realms. I assume that humans are a sort of template race that other deities decided to copy, which is why you have multiple human pantheons, while the nonhuman pantheons either made their worshipers in their image or were made in the image of their worshipers.

The kuo-toa stuck a lobster head on a human statue and started worshipping it.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2022 :  15:19:05  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Krynn? Whenever Lathander looks back on the Dawn Cataclysm or Corellon on the Downfall of Lolth, they console themselves with thoughts of "at least I'm not Paladine."

quote:

The kuo-toa stuck a lobster head on a human statue and started worshipping it.

And claws, too. Can't forget them. VERY important, having those claws. Balances out the whole look.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2022 :  17:43:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Krynn was my introduction to D&D game settings, but looking back at it, now, I really don't care for its divine setup.

(And the most recent novel makes it clear Astinus is Gilean, which to me begs the question of why a deity would need any secondary aids to keep track of events around the world. We already knew Raistlin made him a scrying orb of some sort, and from the most recent novel we also know that some of the Ascetics were traveling back in time to observe prior events... There's also a question of why, if he did need that scrying device, he didn't get one made thousands of years before. I love Weis & Hickman, but sometimes I question elements of their writing)

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2022 :  00:02:18  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When it comes to Dragonlance, I'm generally fond of that setting's machinery...with one major exception: not only it is centered around the notion that Good in abundance becomes Evil (that whole "The balance between good and evil." literary convention), but Evil doesn't become Good when it is similarly prolific. Good must always be mindful of overreaching, but Evil is always free to cut loose (be their presence writ small or writ large).

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2022 :  05:20:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

When it comes to Dragonlance, I'm generally fond of that setting's machinery...with one major exception: not only it is centered around the notion that Good in abundance becomes Evil (that whole "The balance between good and evil." literary convention), but Evil doesn't become Good when it is similarly prolific. Good must always be mindful of overreaching, but Evil is always free to cut loose (be their presence writ small or writ large).

For me, one of the most problematic aspects of that whole Balance thing was the noble draconians. Okay, cool, regular draconians are good dragon eggs corrupted to evil. That's fine. Noble draconians are evil dragon eggs, but because of Balance, they come out good. Ah, okay... But wait! Despite this, Takhisis still gets to screw with them, and makes them have nightmares of evil dragons. Paladine doesn't get to do that with regular draconians, but hey, that's okay, for reasons.

Of course, the whole Cataclysm, and then waiting 300 years for people to come back around -- interesting idea, but wow, there are some issues, there!

(It's still better than what the Sartan did in the Death's Gate Cycle, but that doesn't make it any less problematic... I don't know if it's one or both authors, but someone in that duo is a huge fan of one of more main characters having a crisis of faith. It's a recurring element in their books, and even in at least one series I've read that Margaret Weis did without Tracy Hickman)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000