Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dragonlance-With Weis & Hickman
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2022 :  22:22:03  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, here is the foretelled tome from said sages. Looks pretty Interesting! I think I'll buy it!

https://www.booksamillion.com/p/Dragons-Deceit/Margaret-Weis/9781984819321?id=8594572755120

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2022 :  05:50:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dimensions of this book are 9.29 x 6.22 x 1.5 inches ... too wide to squeeze into my bookshelf!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2022 :  11:14:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize that was out!

I just ordered it from Amazon, where there was a $5 coupon on the book, which was already listed at a lower price than on the Books A Million site. (Also, I've never liked Books A Million; we used to have one on 192, and their sci-fi fantasy selection was pitiful. The one in Viera is better, but I still favor Barnes & Noble for my in-person book buying)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2022 :  05:05:40  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know it was released. Let us know what you think!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2022 :  16:48:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, didn't know this was out and found it on amazon. Also saw the pre-order for the spelljammer rules coming out, so grabbed that too. I'm curious to see what they do with those rules.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2022 :  19:12:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Thanks, didn't know this was out and found it on amazon. Also saw the pre-order for the spelljammer rules coming out, so grabbed that too. I'm curious to see what they do with those rules.

I'm reading this novel, now.

As for Spelljammer, quoting myself:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The Spelljammer's Guide to Wildspace in Dungeons & Dragons

So they're keeping air envelopes and gravity planes pretty much as they were.

It looks like we're getting a new solar system; I don't recall prior mentions of "Doomspace" -- though it has, admittedly, been a long time since I perused my Spelljammer library.

Also, they're keeping the Rock of Bral in Realmspace. Originally, the location of the Rock was left unsaid, but Steven Schend, in a Dragon article, dropped it into Realmspace.

And the article confirms it: every solar system is in wildspace, and instead of crystal spheres, wildspace basically exists as pockets within the Astral.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's a more elegant solution than the crystal spheres and the Flow, but it's also a retcon, and my opinion of retcons should be widely known, in our halls. I also like the Flow just because of how different it was and the challenges it presented.

I'll observe, though, that this new arrangement further reinforces my (controversial) stance that there is not one infinite layer of the Prime, and that it is instead -- like many other planes -- a plane with multiple layers.

Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2022 :  18:42:22  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picked up the book today, will start reading it this w/e. I saw that it is copyrighted by WotC. Does this perhaps indicate that WotC is getting back into novels in a big way? Or this just a deal with Weis/Hickman? Speculate please.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2022 :  21:32:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's likely just a Weis & Hickman thing.

The book is published by Del Rey and WotC tried to back out of the deal at one point.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2022 :  21:52:03  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great novel, better then I was expecting.
Go to Top of Page

EricMinde
Seeker

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2022 :  22:08:54  Show Profile Send EricMinde a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just grabbed it, going in completely blind.

"When you understand the impossible, it changes to improbable and that means there's a chance!"

~Baroth Quagmire, built an orphanage, grew a castle in his friends home, the home did not survive the birth. Died three times and fought his way out of hell. Only player I've ever seen roll three 1% in a row.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2022 :  19:26:21  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I don't recall prior mentions of "Doomspace" -- though it has, admittedly, been a long time since I perused my Spelljammer library.

every solar system is in wildspace, and instead of crystal spheres, wildspace basically exists as pockets within the Astral.

To my knowledge there was no "Doomspace" so that's new.

Also, I got to say I kind of hate the idea of crystal spheres being pockets in the Astral Plane... I mean, did they even read anything about the Astral Plane? Pockets are from the Ethereal Plane, not the Astral... Being on the Astral means every Crystal Sphere is basically a dream space - something out of the mind and not physical. If you are going to do retcons, at least be thematically consistent... Kind of messed up Planescape and Spelljammer in one swing with that one.
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2022 :  22:53:03  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EricMinde

I think you will enjoy the book. But to be forthright, there are several books before this (starting in 1984 IIRC) that REALLY fill out the Dragonlance fantasy world. So, if you want the complete experience, you will have to buy, or get from your local library system, all the previous novels. It's worth the effort because Raisltin Majere is one the best wizards that the Forgotten Realms has ever produced... even though he can be such a Defecation.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2022 :  23:16:50  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

quote:

I think you will enjoy the book. But to be forthright, there are several books before this (starting in 1984 IIRC) that REALLY fill out the Dragonlance fantasy world. So, if you want the complete experience, you will have to buy, or get from your local library system, all the previous novels. It's worth the effort because Raisltin Majere is one the best wizards that the Forgotten Realms has ever produced... even though he can be such a Defecation.

Raistlin is a Dragonlance wizard, not a Forgotten Realms wizard.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2022 :  23:21:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah, if you've not read the Chronicles and Legends trilogies, you're going to encounter some spoilers in this one.

Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2022 :  23:43:57  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

quote:

(Sigh) I think you know what I mean. I consider the OVERALL FANTASY WORLD to be the FORGOTTEN REALMS, OK!! I KNOW that the collateral fantasy offshoots may, or may not, connected to the FR. BTW, isn't Sigil supposed to give access to ALL the collateral worlds?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2022 :  01:13:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(Sigh) I think you know what I mean. I consider the OVERALL FANTASY WORLD to be the FORGOTTEN REALMS, OK!! I KNOW that the collateral fantasy offshoots may, or may not, connected to the FR. BTW, isn't Sigil supposed to give access to ALL the collateral worlds?

Dragonlance was published before the Realms was. Some of the early Forgotten Realms novels had "from the publishers of the Dragonlance saga!" printed right on the front cover -- it was what caught my eye with the Avatar trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2022 :  14:48:24  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

quote:

Realmspace is just one of the many crystal spheres; it's bizarre to say that the Forgotten Realms produced Raistlin when the wizard in question has never left Krynnspace.

I know that 5e has utterly wrecked the uniqueness of the other settings to stuff EVERYTHING into the Realms, and it's inevitable that Fistandantilus, Raistlin, Tanis and Lord Soth are going to be sucked into the black hole that is the modern Realms, but I'd like to preserve my childish belief in the sanctity of Dragonlance for just a little longer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000