Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Cordio "Muffinhead"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2022 :  22:34:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone found a reference (source / page number) for Cordio's last name?

Thanks,

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2022 :  02:31:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course a "marfin" in the Realms is the dwarven name for the full-face battlemasks made popular by the dwarves of Clan Black Axe of the now-lost realm of Besilmer. Their clan champion, Marfin, blood of Agamm, son of Kheldar commissioned the first of these when he took part in his first Dragonmoot against the dread red wyrm Palarathax "the Firescourge" of Mount Norbas (located in the Sword Mountains and named for the gnome clan that inhabited it before the dragon brought death and devastation to their hold). From that time on, it became a popular cognomen among the dwarves but the passage of time and the sly insinuation of the common tongue into most dwarven converse saw the name corrupted to "Muffinhead".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2022 :  03:29:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FRWiki offers this as a source: "R.A. Salvatore (July 2003). The Thousand Orcs. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 179. ISBN 978-0786929801."

I do not have the book handy so I cannot confirm this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2022 :  07:37:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's not even trying to come up with names anymore.

I like George's explanation. I also tend to use the alternative name everywhere and then have a single mention of the RAS name in the explanation of his name (because the names are so jarring i feel it spoils the rest of the piece to have "muffinhead" or "beefstew" appear multiple times.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2022 :  15:34:26  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Of course a "marfin" in the Realms is the dwarven name for the full-face battlemasks made popular by the dwarves of Clan Black Axe of the now-lost realm of Besilmer. Their clan champion, Marfin, blood of Agamm, son of Kheldar commissioned the first of these when he took part in his first Dragonmoot against the dread red wyrm Palarathax "the Firescourge" of Mount Norbas (located in the Sword Mountains and named for the gnome clan that inhabited it before the dragon brought death and devastation to their hold). From that time on, it became a popular cognomen among the dwarves but the passage of time and the sly insinuation of the common tongue into most dwarven converse saw the name corrupted to "Muffinhead".

-- George Krashos

Would you happen to have any more information about Clan Norbas or where in the Sword Mountains Mount Norbas is located?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2022 :  21:53:45  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

-- George Krashos

Would you happen to have any more information about Clan Norbas or where in the Sword Mountains Mount Norbas is located?

If it was named after a gnome clan, then it must have been in the deepest, dankest, blackest pits of the lowerdark where those monsters thrive beneath our feet, waiting to boil up and devour everything.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2022 :  23:30:43  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally! Someone understands the true truth!

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

If it was named after a gnome clan, then it must have been in the deepest, dankest, blackest pits of the lowerdark where those monsters thrive beneath our feet, waiting to boil up and devour everything.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2022 :  00:12:37  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Finally! Someone understands the true truth!

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

It's ok Eric. George clued us in that you're actually a huge fan of the gnomes (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24424). You don't have to pretend to dislike them anymore.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2022 :  00:54:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

I made it up, so put it anywhere that suits.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2022 :  03:57:07  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

I made it up, so put it anywhere that suits.

-- George Krashos

Oh, I figured that. I was just hoping it was from something that you had already detailed a bit more than just a sentence or two. I can use that for one of the alt-pantheon gnome settlements.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2022 :  15:07:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh, I figured that. I was just hoping it was from something that you had already detailed a bit more than just a sentence or two. I can use that for one of the alt-pantheon gnome settlements.

We will but we haven't got to much of the coast yet.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2022 :  18:14:55  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

We will but we haven't got to much of the coast yet.

-- George Krashos

Ah, well then I won't use it. Anything you and Eric will come up with will be better than anything I can do with it. Plus, I don't want to have something that will conflict with the stuff you are putting out.

As a side note, I remembered that the Complete Book of Dwarves has some dwarven stronghold generation tables in there. I am going to use those as the base for some gnome settlement generation tables. That will make it a bit easier to come up with a list of detailed settlements that can be used with Ed's The New Underways article and Eric's Trail of Mists. If I am going to put out something that is going to detail the secrets of the gnomes, I might as well go all the way.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000