Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Animals, Plants, or Monsters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2022 :  15:24:56  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What animals, plants, or monsters first come to mind when you think Faerun? They don't have to have originated from the Realms just something that makes a quest feel more grounded in the Forgotten Realms.

My "short" list:

Beholder
Crawling Claw
Deepspawn
Dracolich
Helmed Horror
Malaugrym
Shadowtop Tree
Tall Mouther
Tressym
Winter wolf

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2022 :  15:53:41  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Owlbear
Kobold (Commando) [thanks to BG 1]
Helmed Horror
Deepspawn
Unicorn
Non-standard / Non-evil wereforms
Doppleganger
Flaming Skulls (and similar skull monsters not demiliches)
Shadowtop Tree
Gnoll [also kinda thanks to BG 1]
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2022 :  19:10:45  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Lawyers are by far the most terrifying monsters one can encounter on Faerun.

So terrifying that even an archmage will shoot first then run like the wind."

~ Khelben Arunsun, Blackstaff of Waterdeep

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2022 :  20:50:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every tenth person you meet is actually a shapechanged dragon, illusion covered spellcaster, or some other form of subterfuge. When the really hot woman that is out of your league takes an active interest in you, she really just wants to eat you.... and not in the good way.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  02:26:45  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The really hot female NPC is almost invariably a monster, a trap, a villain, or a DM's pet. Savvy adventurers don't fall for the bait.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  03:02:48  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

The really hot female NPC is almost invariably a monster, a trap, a villain, or a DM's pet. Savvy adventurers don't fall for the bait.

That's why you splash in the occasional temple of Sune, Hanali Celanil or Sharess: in order to keep the faith.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  08:04:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phaerimm and liches.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  12:12:01  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My answer is a bit of a cheat, though I suppose it could fit under "Monsters": cults. The Forgotten Realms provides a myriad of excellent cults both large and small.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  14:23:44  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Render
Bloodflowers
Tressym
Good lycanthropes

Edit: fixed typo.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 11 May 2022 14:24:39
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  16:32:17  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doppelgangers
Leucrotta
Crawling Claws
Orcs
Unique Beholders
Unique Dragons
Unique Liches
Unique Illithiliches

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  21:27:12  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Sharn, Phaerimm, Nilshai, and Malaugrym. Other things, even if they were originally published in Forgotten Realms books, don't feel as original to the world as those to me.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  22:01:34  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one: the Nishruu.

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2022 :  03:58:30  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

How did I forget this?!?! Good one!
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2022 :  04:07:47  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll say something very controversial and I hope I don't offend too many people too much (usually having this preface means what follows is not worth saying ... but I'll go ahead) ...

... I always thought the phaerimm and sharns were just McGuffins used to deal with other McGuffins and didn't like them one bit. Later when I researched the sharn a little more they became somewhat more palatable but their McGuffiness needed to beat the McGuffiness of the phaerimm ("needed" to beat the McGuffiness of Netheril ...) I still wasn't fond of.

Sorry everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2022 :  20:41:37  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about the whole Night Parade and Darkenbeasts?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2022 :  00:36:25  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Forgot about the Night Parade. They don't feel specifically Forgotten Realms-y to me, but it's a cool concept.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2022 :  04:04:05  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Phaerimm and liches.

-- George Krashos

I dunno, the iconic liches are from Oerth; Larloch may personally be more powerful than Acererak, but Acererak had more of an impact on history as a whole.

And then there's Vecna.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2022 :  04:38:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

quote:

Phaerimm and liches.

-- George Krashos

I dunno, the iconic liches are from Oerth; Larloch may personally be more powerful than Acererak, but Acererak had more of an impact on history as a whole.

And then there's Vecna.

There are ten times more liches featured in Realmslore than in the GH universe.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2022 :  04:54:41  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are more liches in Faerun, yes, but the most iconic and famous liches in D&D are Oeridian. Vecna is his own meme.

I just don't see liches as being unique to the Realms, not when the most famous lich of them all was from Oerth, crossovered to Ravenloft, besieged Sigil and kicked off an entire multiversal edition change. Dracoliches are more unique to the Realms than the base lich.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2022 :  13:50:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Phaerimm and liches.

-- George Krashos

And then there's Vecna.

I wasn't aware Acererak had done much of anything, to impact history, aside from building his Tomb.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some question as to whether or not Die Vecna Die was canon?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2022 :  16:44:23  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of Cormyr, and I quote the fights historical
From Luskan to Tethyr, in order categorical;
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem, I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2022 :  00:53:25  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Phaerimm and liches.

-- George Krashos

And then there's Vecna.

I wasn't aware Acererak had done much of anything, to impact history, aside from building his Tomb.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some question as to whether or not Die Vecna Die was canon?

Acererak is kind of tied up with Vecna, and even after his death endured as a vestige. His plans were also kind of grand scale, like trying to usurp mastery over the Negative Energy Plane. 5E just likes turning FR into the dumping ground for everything, but it's pretty clear that Acererak had his start in Oerth as a servant of Vecna who actually remained on good terms with his ex-boss.

I'm not aware of whether DVD was of dubious canonicity; as far as I know, DVD has been accepted as the cause of the 2nd to 3rd edition change. Vecna and his artifacts have become memes.

That's really why I don't think liches as a whole represent any form of the Forgotten Realms. There's a metric ton of them, yes, but the Shadovar, the phaerimm, or even the drow come first in mind.
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2022 :  02:01:22  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

To answer in the spirit of the original question, liches are in the Realms, but for me Realms liches are baelnorn, arch-lich, dracolich, banelich and alhoon.

My "Faerûn-first" animals and monsters have already largely been listed by previous posters, but I'd like to specifically reiterate beholder, darkenbeast, crawling claw, helmed horror and tressym! And rothé and wizshades and wingless wonders.

...and the most Realmsian of them all, the dread NDA. Nasty, nasty beastie, that one.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2022 :  02:59:34  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The various Bane- monsters were fun and it's rather sad that they never got any exposure after 3e. They were also arguably a subtle nod to Tolkien; Bane was pulling his version of Morgoth's Ring.
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2022 :  11:21:25  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Rothe
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2022 :  22:24:50  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

How did I forget this?!?! Good one!

There's also the Hakeashar. A monster with similar dietary requirements to both is the Disenchanter.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000