Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Studying Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  10:55:37  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Part 14: Forgotten Gnomore: The Truth About the Gnomes of the Realms.

This one fulfills the requirement for “The Idiot’s Guide to Demonology.”

I guess that means I shouldn't blame Jergal for their appearance on Toril, then.

Wait, what is this theory?

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  15:12:23  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Part 14: Forgotten Gnomore: The Truth About the Gnomes of the Realms.

This one fulfills the requirement for “The Idiot’s Guide to Demonology.”

I guess that means I shouldn't blame Jergal for their appearance on Toril, then.

Wait, what is this theory?

Thanks to Wooly's suggestion, the following idea occurred to me. This is a rough idea that I have not had time to do any research on:

Jergal was able to engineer the destruction of an entire crystal sphere with a substantial number of gnomes (possibly even the home for the gnome race). To ensure the survival of the gnomes, Garl used all of the power at his disposal to scatter gnomes throughout as many crystal spheres as he could. To survive the trip, the gnomes were transformed into gems. He would then go and "open" the gems to get the gnomes back to normal.

A quick and unresearched idea for why there are gnomes all over the place. And why it is ultimately Jergal's fault that there are gnomes on Toril.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  17:37:01  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We should be kissing Jergal's feet.

(...and then gargling with a bunch of mouthwash, but that's not really the point.)

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  18:24:01  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

(...and then gargling with a bunch of mouthwash, but that's not really the point.)

Not really. Jergal's actions made the gnomes the way they are now: annoying little blighters.

I believe, the best way to express that, is to picture a gnome in Michael Keeton's Batman costume, standing on a stool (of course), holding Jergal (dressed as The Joker) off the ground by his lapels saying "you made me".

Now, try to scrub that image from your mind....

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  19:48:02  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not really. Jergal's actions made the gnomes the way they are now: annoying little blighters.

I believe, the best way to express that, is to picture a gnome in Michael Keeton's Batman costume, standing on a stool (of course), holding Jergal (dressed as The Joker) off the ground by his lapels saying "you made me".

Unless I've overlooked a crucial piece of information that makes me the fool, aren't FR gnomes - the "rock" variety, anyhow - Neutral Good just like the default D&D gnome? Also, sure, they're an eccentric folk, but they're far from, say, Dragonlance's Tinker Gnomes.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  22:07:48  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Unless I've overlooked a crucial piece of information that makes me the fool, aren't FR gnomes - the "rock" variety, anyhow - Neutral Good just like the default D&D gnome? Also, sure, they're an eccentric folk, but they're far from, say, Dragonlance's Tinker Gnomes.

Like I mentioned, I haven't done a lot of research for this but I am thinking that the gnomes were a bit more dwarven in attitude. But, having a near death experience, their culture changed to be more fun-centric (much like how some of our friends/family have decided, as a reaction to the pandemic, to value work/life balance more than they did previously). That could certainly apply to even non-FR gnomes if the crystal sphere destroyed was the gnome homeland. It could also explain the tinker gnomes since it happened to be that aspect of the original gnome culture was emphasized by that particular group of gnome survivors.

I figure all of this will shake out as I actually start working on it. These ideas are certainly in flux and your pointing out stuff is a big help. I am taking notes so when I do start working on it, this conversation will be a great launching point.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000