Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Thaele?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2022 :  06:12:13  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Elminster has always been my favorite FR character and I grew up reading the novels. On a number of occasions, he uses the word 'thaele' as a secret password of sorts, triggering spells and the like. One prime example of this is that it is one of the triggering conditions for the spell 'Elminster's Evasion'. I was wondering if it has ever been revealed what this word means.

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2022 :  13:35:18  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mainly know the word as signifying something in the Birthright setting (it's one of the continents, if I recall). I'm actually not overly familiar with the word's use in Forgotten Realms outside of Elminster's standard contingency. A brief search of Google led me back to the Candlekeep forums and turned up its use as a title in Crimmor, the Caravan City in Amn, with this character:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Corlyn (“Corl”) Braen, Alandor-Lord and Thaele of Crimmon (mayor): NG male Tethyrian human Rgr4 (pleasant, fair-minded, and well-meaning; burly, florid, swiftly getting both fatter and shrewder)

At the very least it isn't just a nonsense word Elminster uses to avoid accidentally speaking the word in his day to day business. But it doesn't seem to be common either, at least from my initial search.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2022 :  06:12:16  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eldacar. From the lack of replies, it looks like nobody really knows what it means. If I had a twitter account, I would ask Ed himself. Alas... I do not. I almost wonder if it is meaningful to Ed himself and not Elminster, because I find it odd that this word has never been explained after all these years. I agree though, it doesn't appear to be a purely nonsense word.

Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1143 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2022 :  08:54:56  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can describe a few more examples when the the word is used, I can try to phrase a question to send to Ed.

Or if you could write the question down (within 140 characters, spaces included) and I can send it on your behalf.

No promises or guarantees he will reply though.
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  02:19:28  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by questing gm

If you can describe a few more examples when the the word is used, I can try to phrase a question to send to Ed.

Or if you could write the question down (within 140 characters, spaces included) and I can send it on your behalf.

No promises or guarantees he will reply though.

Why thank you, I really appreciate that!

Hello Ed! Can you please explain if the word "Thaele" from Elminster's Evasion has any special meaning?

------------------------------------------------
I actually checked a few sources and everything I could find is simply El using that spell in the books. I know for a fact there are other references in the Elminster novels to that word, because it confused me as a kid. But, unless I actually go and reread them, I doubt I will find anything. So let's see if he replies and once again, thank you very much questing gm!

Edited by - Naeryndam on 24 Feb 2022 02:20:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000