Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Thay Land of the Red Wizards
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2022 :  19:21:43  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Obviously, Realmsian construction companies are top notch!

It's magic!

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 25 Feb 2022 19:22:03
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2022 :  20:21:52  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:
Obviously, Realmsian construction companies are top notch!

It's magic!

Use people to build stuff? Perish the thought. Especially if you have secret doors/hallways/rooms. Magic saves you the trouble of having to hunt down everyone who worked on the project and kill them. With magic, you only need kill the engineer who designed the structure. No muss, no fuss. Easy-peasy buildings and tunnels today.

(Warning: please to not attempt to kill the mage casting these spells to build your structures. You will have the structure of your dreams to live out the rest of your days in. However short that may be in your current form or condition if you cross us.)

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 26 Feb 2022 03:08:48
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2022 :  17:01:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

So, then that makes the whole question of Amruthar pretty odd, since it goes from a ruined city with a fire mummy, to a pretty place with people living there in just... six or 8 years? No explanation even why. I haven't gotten around to the cities yet, but since Krash noticed this, I figured I'd look. Wonder about the area that was labeled "the High Desert" in 4e lore, or are we back to Thay being somehow fertile everywhere? Will have to keep that in the back of my mind as I delve more. Maybe they will have some sort of explanation buried in the book.... after all, the gaping pit that was the shaar got filled in (which I like).

Urban destruction in the Realms seems to get undone very quickly. Zhentil Keep was rebuilt in 10 years; Myth Drannor was somehow rebuilt and cleansed of twisted magic and lurking baddies in just five years... Obviously, Realmsian construction companies are top notch!

Remind me (serious here) what happened to "destroy" Zhentil Keep (twice)? Just curious if it can reasonably compare to a volcano opening under the streets and earthquakes tearing the place to shreds. Obviously, anything can theoretically be done with magic. Definitely should be something with something of an explanation though.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2022 :  17:23:22  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

So, then that makes the whole question of Amruthar pretty odd, since it goes from a ruined city with a fire mummy, to a pretty place with people living there in just... six or 8 years? No explanation even why. I haven't gotten around to the cities yet, but since Krash noticed this, I figured I'd look. Wonder about the area that was labeled "the High Desert" in 4e lore, or are we back to Thay being somehow fertile everywhere? Will have to keep that in the back of my mind as I delve more. Maybe they will have some sort of explanation buried in the book.... after all, the gaping pit that was the shaar got filled in (which I like).

Urban destruction in the Realms seems to get undone very quickly. Zhentil Keep was rebuilt in 10 years; Myth Drannor was somehow rebuilt and cleansed of twisted magic and lurking baddies in just five years... Obviously, Realmsian construction companies are top notch!

Remind me (serious here) what happened to "destroy" Zhentil Keep (twice)? Just curious if it can reasonably compare to a volcano opening under the streets and earthquakes tearing the place to shreds. Obviously, anything can theoretically be done with magic. Definitely should be something with something of an explanation though.

Not to be flippant but the Second Sundering undid what happened to Amruthar. When AO rewrote the Tablets of Fate, there must have been something in there that required the old version of Amruthar instead of the destroyed one. Does the new book make any reference to a god or priomordial being linked to that city? Or, was there a god or primordial linked to the destruction of the city? If so, the removal of that linkage may be what brought it back. It is very likely that anyone in Armuthar when it "came back" has no memory of the city's destruction. For them, that never happened. That erasure may effect everyone of non-divine stature so no one remembers that it was destroyed.

Edit: fixed typo.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 26 Feb 2022 17:24:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2022 :  05:37:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Shade flattened it, for reasons. And also for reasons, the Zhents decided to show their strength by saying "Yeah, our enemies flattened our home base, and even though we've rebuilt before, we're just going to run and hide this time."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Feb 2022 05:43:52
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2022 :  20:02:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not to be flippant but the Second Sundering undid what happened to Amruthar. When AO rewrote the Tablets of Fate, there must have been something in there that required the old version of Amruthar instead of the destroyed one. Does the new book make any reference to a god or priomordial being linked to that city? Or, was there a god or primordial linked to the destruction of the city? If so, the removal of that linkage may be what brought it back. It is very likely that anyone in Armuthar when it "came back" has no memory of the city's destruction. For them, that never happened. That erasure may effect everyone of non-divine stature so no one remembers that it was destroyed.

Its not definitive, but they hint that Kossuth has ties to the area, but at the same time it's also likely that the ties are to a major artifact that was buried beneath the city (and could be both).

I'd bw fine with this explanation if it were added with some clarifications. It's just "there's some story here", since no other area that I know of affected memory of what it was like before. Ignoring that they changed it, if they realized, that's just a lapse and we're throwing together a fix.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2022 :  02:31:41  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Its not definitive, but they hint that Kossuth has ties to the area, but at the same time it's also likely that the ties are to a major artifact that was buried beneath the city (and could be both).

I'd bw fine with this explanation if it were added with some clarifications. It's just "there's some story here", since no other area that I know of affected memory of what it was like before. Ignoring that they changed it, if they realized, that's just a lapse and we're throwing together a fix.

This isn't new. They have put stuff out before that doesn't explain why something is suddenly the way it is. It could be that the explanation was there in Ed's book and it got cut by some editor. I would suggest you ask Ed about that on Twitter. That will give the definitive answer as to why the city is back like seemingly nothing happened.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2022 :  13:06:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

This isn't new. They have put stuff out before that doesn't explain why something is suddenly the way it is. It could be that the explanation was there in Ed's book and it got cut by some editor. I would suggest you ask Ed about that on Twitter. That will give the definitive answer as to why the city is back like seemingly nothing happened.

That excuse doesn't float when it comes to an electronic thing on dm's guild. There's no editor forcing things out to make the book smaller and cheaper to print. I do get we've heard those things in the past with WotC, but we're talking a different type of publishing now. Still going through the book, maybe there will be something I've missed.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2022 :  14:15:22  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That excuse doesn't float when it comes to an electronic thing on dm's guild. There's no editor forcing things out to make the book smaller and cheaper to print. I do get we've heard those things in the past with WotC, but we're talking a different type of publishing now. Still going through the book, maybe there will be something I've missed.

It isn't just electronic. You can also get a soft or hard cover printed version. In that case, there will be a word/page limit. $49 bucks for pdf AND a hard cover print is too expensive in my opinion but I am sure some people will pay that.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2022 :  20:14:10  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems Samas Kul is one of Szass Tam's liches. Which means he did die at the end of Unholy. It's good to see Tam was allowed to actually kill some of the old zulkirs.

What about the fate of the others? Does the book says something about them?

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 10 Mar 2022 20:15:00
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2022 :  08:25:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Szass Tam killed almost all of the old zulkirs ... it's in RLB's "The Haunted Lands" trilogy.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 11 Mar 2022 08:25:37
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2022 :  15:17:43  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. But I have seen some stuff denying that part. Like Ed's tweets about how Lauzoril survived and stuff. So, it's good to see not all survived. It makes more sense.

Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1095 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2022 :  11:42:00  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The authors are auctioning off a hand-written version of the book (I guess it's the manuscript?) with extra lore for charity:

https://twitter.com/GHC_and_Tacos/status/1567989747200688128

Edited by - questing gm on 09 Sep 2022 11:44:12
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2022 :  12:49:39  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah. But I have seen some stuff denying that part. Like Ed's tweets about how Lauzoril survived and stuff. So, it's good to see not all survived. It makes more sense.

This is because about half of them you never see die. Lauzoril, for example just jumps off a cliff. Ever heard of feather fall? Nuff Said. Plus he had a get out of jail free card with the Simbul.

Yaphyll kind of split in half or something. That's a weird one.

Mythrell'aa is an illusionist. Simulacrum. Feign Death. Any of 1000 other plausible scenarios says she's alive.

My memory is fuzzy on the others, but lets just assume that the seven most powerful wizards in a country of wizards are capable of casting contingency magics... once you go there, any of them might be alive, or cloned, or magic jarred, or something along those lines.

The only one that is hard to walk back is Devron, who was transformed into a manes. I think you need to make a story to bring him back. Some conjuration summons him (as a manes) and then something breaks the change.

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 09 Sep 2022 12:51:02
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2022 :  23:49:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:

This is because about half of them you never see die. Lauzoril, for example just jumps off a cliff. Ever heard of feather fall? Nuff Said. Plus he had a get out of jail free card with the Simbul.

Yaphyll kind of split in half or something. That's a weird one.

Mythrell'aa is an illusionist. Simulacrum. Feign Death. Any of 1000 other plausible scenarios says she's alive.

My memory is fuzzy on the others, but lets just assume that the seven most powerful wizards in a country of wizards are capable of casting contingency magics... once you go there, any of them might be alive, or cloned, or magic jarred, or something along those lines.

The only one that is hard to walk back is Devron, who was transformed into a manes. I think you need to make a story to bring him back. Some conjuration summons him (as a manes) and then something breaks the change.

Yeah, Yaphyll Sirtula "split herself and sent a portion of herself forward in time". She then gets covered in blue fire in the present.

On the others, we never see the Zulkir of Abjuration, Lallara Mediocros, die. She sends the warmage out and stays behind to fight Tam. I actually used a story idea that Lallara Mediocros and Lauzoril Tavai both work together and hold off Tam, but he traps them in that "pocket universe"... and they get freed during the second sundering.

We do actually see the Zulkir of Transmutation, Samas Kul, get bit in half by a giant magical set of teeth in addition to what happened to the zulkir of conjuration. We also have that Aznar Thrul was killed totally outside of all that. The two "replacement" zulkirs of invocation and necromancy were killed by Nevron outside of the conflict with Tam.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000