Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novels with the most impact on published products
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1143 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2022 :  10:01:28  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
From the library of novels published on the Forgotten Realms, some have more impact on the world and understanding of the lore than others. Say for example, the events of The Return of the Archwizard trilogy had more impact on the world than say, the Lost Library of Cormanthyr.

So, with RSE novels obviously having probably the most significance in importance, which other novels do you think had impact that is often not noticed by those who never read them, for example maybe like War of the Spider Queen (close to RSE, but not quite important if you weren't playing in the Underdark during those years, yet significant to understand drow psyche at the time and since)?

What novels are easier to miss but shouldn't be?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2022 :  13:55:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Empires trilogy wasn't an RSE, though it potentially could have been one. But it did have an impact on things by giving the Shou more of a presence in the Heartlands, strengthening the Zhents at Darkhold, and even on the fall of Zhentil Keep, when Vrakk's orc troops were tired of being treated like crap and held one of the bridges, helping contain a lot of the potential damage but also condemning a lot of the citizenry to death.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2022 :  18:52:30  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Drizzt novels have significant impact on the North with the establishment of Mithral Hall and Gauntlgrym among other things such as the expanding influence of Jarlaxle and impact on Damara too.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2022 :  01:37:13  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brimstone Angels helped reshape the Old Empires and kept Dragonborn in the Realms. Twilight War/Erevis Cale series was arguably impactful with the changes to Shade, Shar, and Mask.

There are also series that had impact in their time, but now in the 5E era, maybe less so. Last Mythal series had a fairly long-term effect on the Realms (return of Myth Drannor at least until Shade fell on it), but arguably that's largely undone now. Starlight and Shadows too (with change to drow magic, now again undone).

The two Moonshaes trilogies are about all we know about them.

The Empyrean Odyssey set up 4E.

RLB's Rage of Dragons and Thay series had some impact too.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2022 :  20:15:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

What impact did the Rage of Dragons have on the setting as a whole? I've read the series and a lot of other stuff, and it always seemed to me like it was just brushed off as an afterthought, with the only impact being a few less dragons (and the end of something that only affected dragons).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2022 :  22:54:23  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I think it was mostly brushed off, there were some things that happened with it. Auseriel getting destroyed and Maura Silverhand disappearing (probably safe to say she's dead now since it was never followed up on) Pretty much killed the possibility of a followup to Evermeet: Isle of Elves.

Sammaster died too, who was sorta important.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2022 :  00:19:18  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

What impact did the Rage of Dragons have on the setting as a whole? I've read the series and a lot of other stuff, and it always seemed to me like it was just brushed off as an afterthought, with the only impact being a few less dragons (and the end of something that only affected dragons).

That's probably fair. I was thinking that it changed some dragons, but I think you're probably right Wooly.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2022 :  03:10:23  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see it as a background impact. Dragons ruling as princes in Murghôn and Semphar (and maybe in other places far away from Faerûn that we are not aware about) is possible now thanks to dragons having clarity of mind to do such things without killing themselves. Dragons influencing heavily in the politics of other countries (as seen in the Brotherhood of the Griffon series) is also something possible thanks to this development. We don't feel the impact because this happened in lands beyond the Sword Coast, but then the Tyranny of Dragons adventure path for 5e was possible thanks to this, as well. So, while is true that is a thing that only affects dragons of the setting, the dragons themselves are free to affect the setting on their own. AS with anything regarding the long living races, this will be a "future impact" rather than an impact we feel instantly.

Giving my 2 cents to the topic, the Haunted Lands and the Brotherhood of the Griffon series are novels that I consider did impacted the setting. Thay was totally changed by the Haunted Lands, while the Brotherhood of the Griffon paved the way for the current condition of the Old Empires and even Rashemen.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 07 Feb 2022 03:12:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000