Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Gnome village of Hardstone in 3e/3.5e
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2022 :  19:43:46  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello! I have read all I can but there seems to be not much detail on this little gnome village, and the location seems to be edition dependent.

Also is there any canon information on the gnomish settlements in the Misty Forest?

Thanks in advance for any help. Our group is about to go there and I'm gathering all I can.

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2022 :  22:02:09  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if I've ever heard of Hardstone. Do you mean Hardbuckler, the gnomish village in the Western Heartlands? Because there's not much information out there, but if you're open to third-party products, Tim Bannock detailed Hardbuckler in Old School Hacks Vol. I: Hexcrawling, one of my favorite DM's Guild products. It includes a map of Hardbuckler and the surrounding area, as well as information on locations and NPCs inside the village.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2022 :  00:30:52  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

I don't know if I've ever heard of Hardstone. Do you mean Hardbuckler, the gnomish village in the Western Heartlands? Because there's not much information out there, but if you're open to third-party products, Tim Bannock detailed Hardbuckler in Old School Hacks Vol. I: Hexcrawling, one of my favorite DM's Guild products. It includes a map of Hardbuckler and the surrounding area, as well as information on locations and NPCs inside the village.

Hi I do have this and it's not Hardbuckler.

There is a village of gnomes in the Forlorn hills near Daggerford called Hardstone.
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2022 :  00:49:11  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I did a little more digging, and the only mention I could find on Hardstone was in Eric L. Boyd's excellent Under Illefarn Anew. I wonder if he invented the village for that adventure. That would explain why there's no article on Hardstone in the FR Wiki, which usually contains an article on everything under the sun that can be considered canon.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2022 :  01:15:26  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting. I did a little more digging, and the only mention I could find on Hardstone was in Eric L. Boyd's excellent Under Illefarn Anew. I wonder if he invented the village for that adventure. That would explain why there's no article on Hardstone in the FR Wiki, which usually contains an article on everything under the sun that can be considered canon.

Yes, I created Hardstone for the adventure. Given that the adventure is supposed to support all the PhB races (in 3.5e), I wanted to include an origin village for rock gnomes. Here's what I wrote:

Hardstone
The small village of Hardstone lies in the northwestern reaches of the Forlorn Hills, north and west of the Crumbling Stair. Home only to rock gnomes, Hardstone traces its origin back to the Duchy of Glorea, when Ulbrent Hardstone, darrath (duke) of Glorea ruled the city of Dolblunde and the surrounding region. After Dolblunde’s fall, many of the survivors fled into the Forlorn Hills, seeking to establish smaller holds less apt to draw attention from the savage predators of the North. Hardstone, named for the long-dead duke, is one of the few that has endured, but it is now quite prosperous, thanks to its proximity to several rich gem mines and its skilled jewelers. Unbeknownst to all but the residents of this small village, Hardstone’s crafts are sold through the shop of Korbus Brightjewel in Daggerford (#C3), by way of a miniature portal that links the village to his cellar.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2022 :  00:26:00  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Yes, I created Hardstone for the adventure. Given that the adventure is supposed to support all the PhB races (in 3.5e), I wanted to include an origin village for rock gnomes. Here's what I wrote:

Hardstone
The small village of Hardstone lies in the northwestern reaches of the Forlorn Hills, north and west of the Crumbling Stair. Home only to rock gnomes, Hardstone traces its origin back to the Duchy of Glorea, when Ulbrent Hardstone, darrath (duke) of Glorea ruled the city of Dolblunde and the surrounding region. After Dolblunde’s fall, many of the survivors fled into the Forlorn Hills, seeking to establish smaller holds less apt to draw attention from the savage predators of the North. Hardstone, named for the long-dead duke, is one of the few that has endured, but it is now quite prosperous, thanks to its proximity to several rich gem mines and its skilled jewelers. Unbeknownst to all but the residents of this small village, Hardstone’s crafts are sold through the shop of Korbus Brightjewel in Daggerford (#C3), by way of a miniature portal that links the village to his cellar.

Hi Eric! Thanks for that I have been reading Under Illefarn Anew.

I haven't read the whole thing yet but what exactly were you planning to use it for?

I see it's critical for Korbus Brightjewel. Was interested in any other thoughts on Hardstone or "unknown" gnome settlements in the Misty Forest.

Thanks for your great writing!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000