Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 WOTC shifting focus from FR?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Scots Dragon
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2022 :  07:45:28  Show Profile Send Scots Dragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

Can we conduct a séance with TSR and ask them if they're interested in being resurrected?

A bunch of reactionary weirdos revived the brand recently with an intention of releasing a new version of Star Frontiers. Probably best to be wary of what we wish for.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2022 :  09:53:40  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scots Dragon

quote:

Can we conduct a séance with TSR and ask them if they're interested in being resurrected?

A bunch of reactionary weirdos revived the brand recently with an intention of releasing a new version of Star Frontiers. Probably best to be wary of what we wish for.

A bunch of reactionary weirdos possessed enough capital to bring a company back from the dead ? Forsooth?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Scots Dragon
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2022 :  10:56:45  Show Profile Send Scots Dragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

A bunch of reactionary weirdos possessed enough capital to bring a company back from the dead ? Forsooth?

Turns out the majority of reactionary weirdos are funded really well by capitalist causes. But I'll avoid getting into that.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2022 :  16:19:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

There were like 2 or 3 TSRs co-existing, very briefly, and then it got really freaking messy. I don't have the links handy, but there's been a couple of articles about it on ENWorld.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2022 :  17:23:04  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There were like 2 or 3 TSRs co-existing, very briefly, and then it got really freaking messy. I don't have the links handy, but there's been a couple of articles about it on ENWorld.

It's like when a band's 1st drummer and 2nd drummer go to court over the right to use the band's name.

Edit: Actually, it's more like the son of the 1st drummer and the wife of the 2nd drummer.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I would be very glad to see them move on from the Realms.
I would much rather see them move on from D&D entirely.

Edited by - HighOne on 02 Feb 2022 17:25:35
Go to Top of Page

Scots Dragon
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2022 :  22:05:11  Show Profile Send Scots Dragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

I mean, they've put out more Magic: The Gathering tie-ins than anything actually D&D related in the past few years so... they might as well.
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2022 :  20:42:53  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I mean, they've put out more Magic: The Gathering tie-ins than anything actually D&D related in the past few years so... they might as well.

Yes, just looking at the history of releases, one can see that there has been a gradual but continuous shift away from FR since 2018 or so. We went from every book having an FR tie-in (Volo's and Xanathar's Guides, all the FR adventure paths) to almost none of them having one (Tasha's, Mordenkainen's, Fizban's, etc.). And this year we're getting a Critical Role adventure, not long after a Critical Role campaign setting. So the writing is definitely on the wall at this point. FR is old and dated; Critical Role is the new hotness.

I almost feel sorry for Larian Studios. By the time Baldur's Gate 3 comes out, FR will be yesterday's news.

Edited by - HighOne on 03 Feb 2022 20:43:57
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2022 :  22:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, just looking at the history of releases, one can see that there has been a gradual but continuous shift away from FR since 2018 or so. We went from every book having an FR tie-in (Volo's and Xanathar's Guides, all the FR adventure paths) to almost none of them having one (Tasha's, Mordenkainen's, Fizban's, etc.). And this year we're getting a Critical Role adventure, not long after a Critical Role campaign setting. So the writing is definitely on the wall at this point. FR is old and dated; Critical Role is the new hotness.

I almost feel sorry for Larian Studios. By the time Baldur's Gate 3 comes out, FR will be yesterday's news.

Ugh that truth bomb hurts.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Scots Dragon
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2022 :  00:14:00  Show Profile Send Scots Dragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe they're hoping some distance will help give the setting a bit of a kick when it makes a triumphant return.

We can only live in hope.

I am not especially hopeful.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2022 :  22:54:02  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

A corporate tug-of-war, huh? It is a shame how TSR was treated while on its deathbed...

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2022 :  01:15:25  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can read an overview here, if you're interested.

https://www.enworld.org/threads/the-full-glorious-history-of-nutsr.684697/

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000