Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Best 2e supplements?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Quickleaf
Seeker

99 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2022 :  18:08:55  Show Profile Send Quickleaf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar
I've heard some...things...about Dragon Mountain. How far are you into that module? Night Below is apparently a Level 1 to 10 adventure; I highly approve of lengthy adventures !

So I actually ran Dragon Mountain. I'll probably sound crazy on this forum, but I ran my conversion of it in 4th edition. I know!

We had 13 sessions total, so it was a bit compressed, but it was basically a dungeon crawl where I cut out almost all the tedium and focused on this ebb and flow of conflict between the kobolds and the PCs. I really played up the uniqueness of each kobold clan with signature traps, different appearances, specialized tactics, the dungeon zone for that clan having a certain feel, etc.

It definitely helped that we took a lighter tone with it and the players were willing to embrace a slightly masochistic "let's see how bad the kobolds will screw us over if we try this crazy idea."

We had a paladin trapped in a bag of devouring and a sphere of annihilation eat through two levels of the mountain at one point. Good times. I think if we'd gone any longer this group of players would have had some dungeon/kobold fatigue, so the timing worked well for us.
Go to Top of Page

Quickleaf
Seeker

99 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2022 :  18:13:40  Show Profile Send Quickleaf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What AD&D supplements do you recommend for a campaign that spans the "interior" of Faerūn: Cormyr, Sembia, Dragon Coast, Turmish, and maybe a bit more?

If we get as far as Ravens Bluff I know there is City of Ravens Bluff, and if we include The Pirate Isles there's Pirates of the Fallen Stars. I saw on DMs Guild that someone put together a 255-page pdf update of Cormyr, but not sure if it's worth $35.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2022 :  16:16:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DMs Guild Cormyr product is pretty decent although not all of it was to my taste (big font!). Map is awesome and provides a decent update to the kingdom. It would serve okay as the basis for a campaign.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2022 :  21:30:55  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quickleaf

Cormyr

There's the Cormyr supplement along with Volo's Guide to Cormyr.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2022 :  23:21:00  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In this case, "supplement" may be something of a stretch, but I finally obtained the Kara-Tur Trail Map; if only the setting box set itself were easy to find .

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2022 :  02:10:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In this case, "supplement" may be something of a stretch, but I finally obtained the Kara-Tur Trail Map; if only the setting box set itself were easy to find .

There was also a Waterdeep one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2022 :  07:13:09  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

There was also a Waterdeep one.

That's next on my list; alas, I only have so many kidneys.

(I believe at least one was made for Dragonlance, too.)

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2022 :  00:45:10  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I managed to snag two (!) sealed copies of the 2e FRCS box set (the later grey re-release instead of the original "gold" box) by checking out an Italian market. Let this be a lesson: sometimes you must go foreign to find true treasure.

Also, I bought a sealed copy of The Ruins of Myth Drannor (the original 1993 release with the TSR plate logo); it's a little dinged, but, for its age, this example is in otherwise new condition.

Finally, after discovering that it features both Hillsfar and Phlan (among other famous Realms spots), I acquired The Moonsea.

--- --- ---

Now, a question for Wooly Rupert and other serious collectors. There are few 2e box sets left for me to obtain (Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms, Maztica, Menzoberranzan, City of Splendors, The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier and Netheril: Empire of Magic). Presently, I've written off Kara-Tur and Menzoberranzan, because the chances of a decent copy of either product popping up is slim to none (anything Asian/exotic is popular and Drizzt/the Drow are insanely popular). As for the rest, I'm primarily interested in the Waterdeep supplement, but I wouldn't pass up another opportunity. Anyhow, the question: how do you go about finding these vintage TTRPG products? Do you simply visit the usual online marketplaces on a regular basis? Do you have an inside connection? Are local tabletop gaming scenes the best hunting grounds?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2022 :  01:06:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not the best person to ask, honestly. When I lost all my stuff, I managed to connect with someone looking to dump all of their stuff. So I went from extensive collection to nothing to even more extensive collection, in a relatively short amount of time.

For the rest of the stuff to fill out my collection, I turned to eBay -- which was where I'd originally turned to fill out the gaps in the original collection.

And with eBay, sometimes you just need patience and a little creativity. I got lucky and got the Encyclopedia Magica books for $150, in great condition, because I had a saved search in eBay and saw the email early one morn. When I decided, a year or so ago, to replace my original Deities & Demigods, I didn't even look at the ones that were listed as having the Cthulhu & Elric stuff -- because people were jumping on those. I focused on the auctions where it didn't say if that stuff was in the book or not -- and then I pinged the sellers and asked for the page count. The copy I got was in very good condition and I got it for like $25 or $30, because the seller didn't realize what he had and no one else thought to ask him.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2022 :  01:43:49  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can often find old stuff on the bottom shelf of old bobby shops who carried a couple D&D products just for the variety and never really were interested. The ones that didn't sell ended up on the forget about it shelf :P
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2022 :  16:14:06  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was able to get a full set of the 2e Wizard's Spell Compendiums via Half-Priced Books and Amazon for a reasonable cost (some are listed for over $100 bucks which is insane; I got mine for between 30 and 50 bucks each). I already had the pdfs from DMsGuild but there is nothing quite like perusing a physical book.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000