Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Beadle & Grimm's Artifacts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  20:59:53  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I decided to pick up some of the items from Beadle and Grimm. Don't worry I didn't buy the crazy priced module upgrade but some stray things that I would like to have as props and for myself.

3 Dragon Coins - This is what I came for initially, I know they are not the coins described by Ed but figure by 1491 DR the coinage has likely changed. Plus I do like the art of the new coins lot of Waterdeep flavor. Overall I am pleased with the gold dragons. Color wise they look like they have been antiqued or oil rubbed, I think they over did it by a little, in dim lighting they don't look gold enough but meh. They are about 50% bigger than an American quarter but the "I" shape makes the waist slightly smaller than a quarters diameter. They have a good heft to them, but obviously gold would be much heavier (but D&D has issues with the weight of gold coins anyway). Good details, crisp lines, note the image bulges out past the border on both sides so there is no stacking them.

Harpers Pin - (why did they pluralize it *shrugs*) This is what I imagine a well worn Harper Pin would look like, just a bit under 2x the size of an American quarter. It isn't perfectly round in spots, it has some scratching and pitting on front and back, as if it is been banged up a bit. Easily hidden under a lapel or a boot cuff. Not sure if the butterfly pinch pinning mechanism would exist in the realms, plus it is super shiny compared to the rest of it. Overall nice.

Badge of the Watch - nice size, 3" by 2", nice enamel work. Look spot on from the Dragon Heist adventure. I think there was an image in 3E source book but can't seem to find it right now. But I vaguely remember the crescent moon being reflected in the harbor and Mount Waterdeep from the novels. Looks good. The fastening device on this is actually what I imagine would be used in the Realms a safety pin like mechanism, with a clasp that twists to close the divot the pin rests in.

Baldur's Gate Pin - Similar size as the Badge of the Watch. Nice details, good enameling. I wish there were at least 1 more enamel color preferably 2 more. The clasp on the back is safety pin style but not as nice as the Badge of the Watch, small/flimsy. Overall still nice but not as nice.

All items came in plastic bags with adhesive seals. Each was then placed in a separate B&G logo'd draw string bag, made for safe shipping even in the bubble packag.

Overall I am pleased with all of them, the prices are so-so but they could be far worse. I think the Watch Badge is my favorite.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  21:23:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to get their Harper Pin and the Badge of the Watch, myself.

I ordered the 3 Dragon Coins a couple months ago. I was pleased with the coins when my order arrive.

...And pleased and confused when they sent me a second set a week later.

The coins do look pretty cool. I still prefer the overall look of the "Water Helm" set I got from a fantasy coin Kickstarter -- still not quite the right look for the Waterdhavian coins, but they got the shapes right -- but the Dragon Coins are better made.

I tossed most of the Dragon Coins in with my other fantasy coinage (and there's a lot of it!), but I kept one out to fiddle with, and it's right in front of me at my work desk right now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2021 :  03:28:31  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lucky you, getting a free set of coins. I plan to hand out 3 to players when we finish the current quest. So I had to buy 2 packs. Spoilers: At the end of Dragon Heist the players can end up retrieving between 50,000 to 500,000 of embezzled gold. That's crazy for level 5s. So I'm having Halaster have the last laugh, having replaced all the Gold Dragons with fake ones minted with his face. The only real treasure left will be 1gp each, which I will hand them in real life, and a challenge put forth by Halaster to enter Undermountain.

Aren't the "Water Helm" coins small though? At least they look small from the pictures. Plus the Harbor Moon isn't 2 toned.

I just picked up these. They seem to be accurate, the platinum piece is slightly smaller than the gold dragon, which is a bit small. The Taol is 2" by 2" and the Harbor Moon is 3" diameter. The two tone is there on the Harbor Moon it just isn't in your face, likely again because of antiquing.

I also grabbed these. The Gold Dragons are off, I already msged the creator and he was aware, apparently mis-translation in his Russian copy, "half again" was made into "half". *sigh* Anyway I'll use the little gold coins as game props with minis.

Hopefully between all these buys I'll have a fairly accurate set of Forgotten Realms coins. Why WotC hasn't produced an official set of accurate metal coins, hell they could make a set for each region. But instead we get games like Lords of Waterdeep and Three Dragon Ante with cardboard coins using Harbor Moons as "5s" and Taols as "1s".

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2021 :  14:30:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Aren't the "Water Helm" coins small though? At least they look small from the pictures. Plus the Harbor Moon isn't 2 toned.

The Water Helm coins are roughly the same size as any other coin. If I put the Water Helm Harbor Moon on edge, behind to the Beadle & Grimm coin, it's the same height, and the edges of the B&G coin just barely touch the points of the crescent.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000