Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2021 :  15:46:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I have to say, conveying the proper tone in Ravenloft can be really hard, and I've only tried it once when I was maybe 20 years old. Ironically, that was also the first time I used Sleyvas as an NPC (with another group, he was one of my first PC's.... I used him as an NPC because I knew how to play him). It was right after the Time of Troubles came out, and I modified the domain wherein Bane had been forced into a high priest's body in whatever domain it was that had Bane as a priesthood. Sleyvas was his militant arm that the player's faced off against (I think he was still less than 10th level, but dual classed as fighter first for several levels). However, that campaign went WAY off the rails. One of the player's turned from paladin into anti-paladin, embraced the worship of Bane, and turned against the party by joining with Sleyvas in return for power. Back then, I was really on a Bane kick, and was all about "Bane's not dead". Then I started seeing Xvim in a new light.... and gradually I started to realize I liked the idea of Leira not actually being dead a whole, whole lot more.

When it comes to horror fantasy, I guess I much more enjoy reading it than playing it. I could probably get into a well scripted CRPG when I was younger, but probably wouldn't hold me now.

EDIT: Also kind of ironic now that I think upon it, but I've used several instances where I've had players involved with gods on a direct level in weird ways. There was this Bane, in which a player embraced his worship. There was the campaign where I assumed that people didn't know it but Orcus had been cast down during the ToT in Vaasa/Damara (so they played through the "background" of the Bloodstone wars during the ToT as Gareth and company rose to power in other parts of the country). In that SAME campaign, I had players actually meet Velsharoon on his path to ascendance in the astral as they went to face off against some githyanki invading Orcus' astral corpse on orders of their lich queen, but ironically not a single one of them was enough of a realms-o-phile to catch the name drop.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 21 Jun 2021 15:53:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2021 :  16:51:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me it's not as much about running it right to get the tone -- it's that I'm not a fan of the tone. Like I say, the setting is interesting, but that's it -- other than a few specific exceptions (Shaun of the Dead, the Ex-Heroes books, couple other things), I don't do horror.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2021 :  17:34:36  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say, I'm woefully disappointed in what I'm reading from the content yinz are talking about. While I've only read a few novels (I, Strhad; Vampire of the Mists; Knight of the Black Rose; Spectre of the Black Rose; & Dance of the Dead) I had really hoped to see some updated elements such as Sithicus (Deadlord Soth's domain) and more info on Barovia but....it's all so underwhelming. Sithicus isn't even a thing, at all (my biggest disappointment) and now they're doing one of my favorite Realms elves dirty......again!!

Nah, not for me
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2021 :  21:15:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I have to say, I'm woefully disappointed in what I'm reading from the content yinz are talking about. While I've only read a few novels (I, Strhad; Vampire of the Mists; Knight of the Black Rose; Spectre of the Black Rose; & Dance of the Dead) I had really hoped to see some updated elements such as Sithicus (Deadlord Soth's domain) and more info on Barovia but....it's all so underwhelming. Sithicus isn't even a thing, at all (my biggest disappointment) and now they're doing one of my favorite Realms elves dirty......again!!

Nah, not for me

Yeah, I was expecting an update, myself, instead of a reboot.

As I understand it, though, Lord Soth had already exited Ravenloft a while ago -- in-setting, apparently the Dark Powers couldn't torture him any more than he was torturing himself, or somesuch, so he was allowed to escape.

I seem to recall reading, though, that it was because no one talked to Weis & Hickman before tossing Soth into Ravenloft. W eis & Hickman still had plans for him and weren't cool with him being in Ravenloft, so that was quickly undone.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Jun 2021 21:16:29
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2021 :  00:22:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

For me it's not as much about running it right to get the tone -- it's that I'm not a fan of the tone. Like I say, the setting is interesting, but that's it -- other than a few specific exceptions (Shaun of the Dead, the Ex-Heroes books, couple other things), I don't do horror.

What I will also add is that getting that tone right along with an idea of everyone being accepting of differently looking outsiders just seems at odd with itself. A party with a dragonborn, a tiefling, a half-vampire, and a frankenstein looking person .... it just seems weird to me that the common folk of Ravenloft would not just lynch them on sight out of fear.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 24 Jun 2021 00:23:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000