Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Haunted Lands
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2021 :  09:11:53  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

The Haunted Lands

I have read the trilogy and have hard time to understanding why a lich like Szass Tam would destroy Thay like that.

He was powerful enough to slay the other zulkirs so whey not just do this and rule Thay?

Yes he was bored and wanted to change things but what was there to be gained by the way he did it compared to how things could have turned out.

He could be the only Supreme ruler of Thay and just get rid off the other Zulkirs?

He is a super genius arch wizard that seldom makes mistakes.

When answering this post keep in mind that he could the Supreme ruler of Thay.

Couldn't he achieve his other goals easily by keeping Thay as it was without the other Zulkirs.

If this has been answered in other posts.. Please give me a link.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2021 :  14:11:11  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He wanted to be God and remake the entire universe. So simply ruling Thay wouldn't have satisfied him.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2021 :  15:52:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, Thay was simply, at the last of his interest, just a tool...he didn't give a damn about power over Thay.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2021 :  16:53:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, he was tricked by Larloch into taking the death moon orb, which as a part of its curse made him act more like a power hungry crazed loon. He may have been driven over the edge because his rival, Velsharoon the Vaunted, a year later became god over the school of necromancy... and he was the Zulkir of necromancy. So, secretly, Velsharoon was taunting him. Then the lady of mists, Leira, working from her form as the Cyrinishad using Deneir without his even knowing, transformed herself into another magical book called "The Tome of Fastrin the Delver" which used trickery to make a person think they could remake a universe, but instead it would entrap them in a domain of Ravenloft "in a world of their own creation", and would draw upon a powerful artifact as an energy source within Thay, releasing its energy into Mystra. Which would ultimately lead to the resurrection of Mystra, as she was foretold to be attacked soon by Savras, and all the gods of magic wanted to keep magic stable. Also, as part of the using of the "Tome of Fastrin the Delver"/Leira magic energy was fed into the goddess of lies AND into Deneir as the god of the written word to remake both deities in modern Faerun.

Meanwhile, Malark Springhill, Wizard and Monk of the Long Death, who hates undead, is now entrapped in a domain of Ravenloft, ageless as he is surrounded by undead.

Or at least, that's what I was told by this Nimbraii merchant who was about to take a ship to the moon.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 08 Jun 2021 18:03:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000