Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dungeons & Dragons movie in the Forgotten Realms!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2021 :  08:39:51  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A précis of the Dungeons & Dragons movie has appeared as part of its copyright registration, confirming it's set in the Forgotten Realms.
https://twitter.com/FRWiki/status/1395267109014310913

"An ex-Harper turned thief escapes from prison with his partner, a female barbarian, and reunites with a no-talent wizard and a druid new to their team in an effort to rob the cheating conman who stole all their loot from the heist that landed them behind bars, and used it to install himself as the Lord of Neverwinter. Only the traitor is allied with a powerful Red Wizard who has something far more sinister in store."

The FRW has the confirmed and rumoured details so far:
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_(movie)

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2021 :  10:14:26  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's still going to be either Uwe Boll style Twister game vlog, or some mediocre Holly-wool material with proper names glued on. Yay.
Unless they go all out, bad fanfic plus full Disney "bzzt MUST PREACH", that is. Hasbro already did bow and smile at Disney Star Wars failure that cost them at least once, so...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2021 :  14:18:23  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, hopefully it will be pretty because that plot outline is very formulaic. I think Mr. Terwilliger put it best when he said something about a story "rolling off the Powerbook of the laziest Hollywood hack."

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2021 :  18:48:25  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So who's the Lord of Neverwinter in this version of the Forgotten Realms? Anyone want to take a guess? Because this doesn't sound like the Neverember we know from canon, so I'm going to guess it's someone else.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2021 :  20:59:16  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

So who's the Lord of Neverwinter in this version of the Forgotten Realms? Anyone want to take a guess? Because this doesn't sound like the Neverember we know from canon, so I'm going to guess it's someone else.

Neverember was a total scumbag in 4e; several Themes in the Neverwinter Campaign Setting where various motivations for wanting him out of power.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2021 :  21:14:03  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

quote:

Neverember was a total scumbag in 4e; several Themes in the Neverwinter Campaign Setting where various motivations for wanting him out of power.

He is a tyrant, sure, but is he a "cheating conman" who took part in "heists" with adventurers? That doesn't sound like Neverember to me.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2021 :  21:45:27  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

quote:

He is a tyrant, sure, but is he a "cheating conman" who took part in "heists" with adventurers? That doesn't sound like Neverember to me.

He forged a connection to Neverwinter’s throne, which is conman behavior of a sort?

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2021 :  21:57:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm thinking this is either going to be set in an alternate version of the Realms, or they'll advance the timeline a bit and shuffle Neverember out of power.

The info thus far isn't grabbing me, but -- aside from the Eye of Vecna possibly being involved -- there's nothing that's warning me away, either. I'm not keen on the listed character names, in some cases, but those will hopefully change, and at least they're not as bad as Jack Ravenwild, Caledan Caldorian, or Cordio Muffinhead.

I am pleased to see that they're not mentioning any known characters, with the exception of Palarandusk. I've been concerned, since this was first mentioned, that they'd do the Hollywood thing of "this book sold well, so of course a movie that claims to be based on it will do well, too!" (I've also long argued against the idea that a best-selling FR novel would automatically be a Hollywood blockbuster; I've been saying since like 2000ish that a new story was a better idea than adapting an existing one)

And they're apparently not catering to the people that think the entire setting revolves around Lord Ginsu (that overly-popular character best known for slicing and dicing his way through 30+ novels). Focusing on him would have been a deal-breaker for me -- not that I dislike the character; I just can't stand the constant focus on him, and there are other characters that I am far more interested in.

Given the available information, I'm 60% likely to see this movie. Slightly optimistic, but not hopeful enough to forget the previous attempts at D&D movies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 May 2021 23:52:22
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  00:05:01  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm... Screenrant has updated their article on this story to say that they have confirmed the synopsis is not accurate.

https://screenrant.com/dungeons-dragons-movie-synopsis-2023/

I wonder where they got that information.
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  01:35:00  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a question for the scribes & readers here - what would be the benchmark for a FR movie to be considered "good." Let us just set aside the inevitable comparisons to the Peter Jackson movies no matter how unfair that comparison is going to be. Instead, we should focus on our individual expectations of the film in a vacuum. How connected should this media be to existing written lore? Since it will initially be considered FR canon, how much of an impact should it have in enhancing the understandings of the fictional world versus being contradictory, apocryphal, or needlessly paradoxical when telling its story? What levels of sophistication is expected in the story themes and how developed should the characters be? How many sacrifices of story/setting by the production will be endured in order for this film to be commercially viable so that the FR fandom will not object to the appendage of "Forgotten Realms" into either the title or credits of this movie?

Some examples have already been showcased by other scribes mentioning the possible inclusion of Neverember, the welcome absence of Drizzt, and the bizarrely included Eye of Vecna. The locale is the Sword Coast North (I'm wondering about budgets for "on-location" being thin forcing this decision) and the real villains possibly being the Red Wizards (really? Nobody that is closer and may have more of an interest in the area beyond "Bwah-hah-hah I am soooo Evil(TM)" cliches?) is already sinking any hopes I have for this endeavor. I am hoping that the writers actually invest in some world building exercises to know what they can enhance without ripping up the themes of poly-culturalism and intrinsically inhuman values of the non-humans which will be injected into the movie to prove that it is a "high fantasy" story; although, if this is done like the Mos Eisley cantina where they are show-cased for one scene and done then that would be easier to swallow.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  02:02:27  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hm... Screenrant has updated their article on this story to say that they have confirmed the synopsis is not accurate.

https://screenrant.com/dungeons-dragons-movie-synopsis-2023/

I wonder where they got that information.

Probably this article here, which says the above story is "not accurate", without going into why. I asked the author, who insisted it's "sources".
https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/dungeons-dragons-movie-forgotten-realms-chris-pine/

I assume the basis for this is that it contradicts his earlier report on the movie's story, here:
https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-forgotten-realms-eye-of-vecna/
Personally, this one feels unlikely, as it repeats rumours for the earlier Warner Bros. movie and puts together things that never had a connection before, but time will tell. At at this stage, I favour the official document presumably filed by the movie's makers.

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki

Edited by - BadCatMan on 21 May 2021 02:08:09
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  02:13:02  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SaMoCon

Here's a question for the scribes & readers here - what would be the benchmark for a FR movie to be considered "good."
My criteria are probably different from most, since I don't plan to see the movie under any circumstances. My only hope is that other Forgotten Realms fans enjoy it and consider it a worthy homage to the setting and to D&D in general. Ideally, it would bring in new fans and even revive the Forgotten Realms novel line; but I can only hope for so much.

As long as the movie doesn't damage the brand in any way or negatively impact my tabletop experience, I'll be happy.

Edited by - HighOne on 21 May 2021 02:13:36
Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  03:57:34  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity, did any of the people posting that this doesn't sound like it could be Neverember read Waterdeep: Dragon Heist?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  05:05:34  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Can't be worse than the other D&D movie...right?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2021 :  01:19:41  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My main reason for hating it already: it's going to clog up search engines whenever I search for anything set in The Forgotten Realms. Also, there was no way they were ever going to focus on Drizzt or any drow; the cacophony of racism accusations would have been deafening.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2021 :  02:28:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

Also, there was no way they were ever going to focus on Drizzt or any drow; the cacophony of racism accusations would have been deafening.

I've been saying that for years. The Drizzt fanbois, though, insist that there wouldn't be any possible way for anyone to think there was any racism there.

Honestly, it's why I've given up arguing against it.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2021 :  23:23:04  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Also, there was no way they were ever going to focus on Drizzt or any drow; the cacophony of racism accusations would have been deafening.

I've been saying that for years. The Drizzt fanbois, though, insist that there wouldn't be any possible way for anyone to think there was any racism there.

Honestly, it's why I've given up arguing against it.

A real bummer, that. There is a solid core of material you can pull from the first three official Drizzt books (i.e., Homeland, Exile and Sojourn). There are enough skilled scriptwriters in the world. There are plenty of skilled actors (some of whom aren't big names whose reputation would ruin the immersion). There are also many skilled visual effects artists (both those specialized in CGI *and* practical effects).

We could receive a quality trilogy of fantasy films; these films may not be groundbreaking, but they'd certainly be entertaining while displaying smartly utilized high production values.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2021 :  23:55:36  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have much hope for this movie. Hollywood could not have made this a good movie even in the past, and current crazy activist woke Hollywood stands no chance. The best we might get is a standard fantasy film that name drops FR people, places and things.

The Dragon Heist, "Ocean's Forgotten Realms" is a very over used trope. A group of people are sent to prison for a crime they did not do, and promptly escape to get revenge on the guy that set them up.....sigh. So over done.

Even reading the might not be true " female barbarian, and reunites with a no-talent wizard and a druid ", I'm sure part of that is true. The no talent wizard, yup. 5E wizards are way to powerful for any lazy, dumb writer to handle in a movie. All the magic, even worse the 'once an encounter' or 'short rest' magic. Can't have the wizard blasting away in every fight when every foe will be a zero level guy in cheep fake armor.

And female barbarian? Well, if they can avoid the dumb model glamor barbarian. Though much like the wizard I'm sure her rage power won't work oftn, for some dumb reason (such as the writer could not handle a powerful character).

Chris Pine, sure he makes a PERFECT Harper/thief/rogue/scoundrel/adventurer....Can't go to far wrong with Captain Kirk/Starlord. Though they could mess it up east enough.
Sophia Lillis
Michelle Rodriguez, is an action star and can play a barbarian warrior. Though woke feminist Hollywood can ruin this in a second.

Guess Hugh Grant is the bad guy? "haha I fooled you", sure he can do it. The rest of the cast is a bit unknown to me, but I'm guessing Sophia Lillis will be the druid. She has what Hollywood pictures as the "druid look" and I can see her like making a flower grow with magic.

It's a bit interesting they went with an older cast (wonder if Chloe Coleman might be Chris Pines character's daughter?), as you'd think the default D&D cast would be like 22 to pander to the kidz that "lovz D&D pew pew".

The writer, John Francis Daley, is a bit unknown as a writer. Spiderman Homecoming(with others) and Game Night were not bad movies, but were not so great either. Game Night is troubling as that movie could have been so much better with a tighter script, faster pacing and a bit more risk. So Game Night FR? John is a "Geek", so he might at least get the D&D bits right.

And they could make a great Drizzt movie, racism and sexism and evil and all: it just would not be for kidz, it would be an adult movie. So more like Deadpool, or any dark slavery or Nazi movie. Making Drizzt a LOT less the "10 year old pew pew fan boy with the super duper magic swords and knock the bad guys down to take a nap" and make him a LOT more a dark, tortured character. You really could make an excellent adult movie about how racism, sexism, and all the other evils are WRONG...but you would need to SHOW them in all their horror. It would even make a great African American type movie, like Black Panther. But, how could that ever get made?
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  00:45:35  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the only way they can do Drow is in animation. A live action drow is going to be deemed racist no matter how they do it, sadly. Only way they could maybe alter it is to do ebony black paint make up (Community did this on their D&D episode or a Halloween episode with Chang?) or give it the dark purpley grey drow of some comic book versions.
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  01:52:04  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I think the only way they can do Drow is in animation. A live action drow is going to be deemed racist no matter how they do it, sadly. Only way they could maybe alter it is to do ebony black paint make up (Community did this on their D&D episode or a Halloween episode with Chang?) or give it the dark purpley grey drow of some comic book versions.

Well, sigh, if you felt you had to keep the haters happy you could just:

Make all the Drow white and make all the surface humans black. So, kind of like albinos that live under Africa. Showing black looking people being racist against while looking people will pass the Hollywood hate test.

And the Director can sneak out a drector's cut later with the colors switched back to normal for all the real fans.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  01:52:35  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Man this mentality really burns me. Black paint on faces does not make one racist. The idea behind the paint does. That being said, I want the drow no where near this simply because they are a worn out over done plot device.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  02:58:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

That being said, I want the drow no where near this simply because they are a worn out over done plot device.

This!

I won't touch anything involving Lord Ginsu, because I've been utterly tired of reading about him and seeing him continue to get all the attention for a long time, now. He's just one character in a setting with thousands of published characters.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  03:09:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

A group of people are sent to prison for a crime they did not do, and promptly escape to get revenge on the guy that set them up.....sigh. So over done.

It doesn't say they didn't do the crime. In fact, it says that they did -- because otherwise, where did the loot come from?

quote:

Even reading the might not be true " female barbarian, and reunites with a no-talent wizard and a druid ", I'm sure part of that is true. The no talent wizard, yup. 5E wizards are way to powerful for any lazy, dumb writer to handle in a movie. All the magic, even worse the 'once an encounter' or 'short rest' magic. Can't have the wizard blasting away in every fight when every foe will be a zero level guy in cheep fake armor.

And female barbarian? Well, if they can avoid the dumb model glamor barbarian. Though much like the wizard I'm sure her rage power won't work oftn, for some dumb reason (such as the writer could not handle a powerful character).

You're assuming they're approaching this from a rules standpoint. I'd be highly surprised if they did -- because that wouldn't make a lot of sense to the average movie-goer, who does not play D&D.

Instead, I expect that the no-talent wizard is simply going to be incompetent, and the female barbarian will go with the non-rules-based template of being a blunt warrior from a tribal society.

quote:

Chris Pine, sure he makes a PERFECT Harper/thief/rogue/scoundrel/adventurer....Can't go to far wrong with Captain Kirk/Starlord. Though they could mess it up east enough.

Uh, Starlord was Chris Pratt.

quote:

She has what Hollywood pictures as the "druid look" and I can see her like making a flower grow with magic.

"Funny, she doesn't look Druish."

Seriously, I have no idea what a "druid look" is.

Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  04:36:51  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's not just "some comic book versions"; drow are now purple-grey in all new WotC books. The style guide emphatically says drow are NOT black-skinned.
quote:

My main reason for hating it already: it's going to clog up search engines whenever I search for anything set in The Forgotten Realms. Also, there was no way they were ever going to focus on Drizzt or any drow; the cacophony of racism accusations would have been deafening.

Drizzt will be in the upcoming TV show.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  06:09:50  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Dragon Heist, "Ocean's Forgotten Realms" is a very over used trope. A group of people are sent to prison for a crime they did not do, and promptly escape to get revenge on the guy that set them up.....sigh. So over done.

That's one of my...minor points of frustration (I won't say "concerns", because I'm not invested in this film beyond any conversation I engage in here): it will probably come off as too modern. By "modern", I mean that it is going to feel overly jokey and the characters are going to speak and perhaps behave as though they were pulled off a street from late 20th century/early 21st century Earth.

quote:
Originally posted by John Daker

It's not just "some comic book versions"; drow are now purple-grey in all new WotC books. The style guide emphatically says drow are NOT black-skinned.

In AD&D 2e, Drow are described as follows ->

quote:
Drow have black skin and pale, usually white hair. They are shorter and more slender than humans, seldom reaching more than 5 feet in height. Male drow weigh between 80 and 110 pounds, and female between 95 and 120 pounds. Drow have finely chiseled features, and their fingers and toes are long and delicate. Like all elves, they have higher Dexterity and lower Constitution than men.

In D&D 3.5e, the art in the official Monster Manual clearly depicts a drow (warrior?) with black skin.

Their coloration seems to change from edition to edition. Hell, I've seen art of brown-skinned drow and even drow that are virtually blue (closer to teal than Smurf). One consistent physical descriptor used with the drow is "beautiful" (whether they are seen as more beautiful than their fair-skinned cousins also tends to vary from edition to edition).

Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  14:51:28  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're assuming they're approaching this from a rules standpoint. I'd be highly surprised if they did -- because that wouldn't make a lot of sense to the average movie-goer, who does not play D&D.

Instead, I expect that the no-talent wizard is simply going to be incompetent, and the female barbarian will go with the non-rules-based template of being a blunt warrior from a tribal society.

This is a big point though: if you are making a D&D Forgotten Realms movie you need to stick to the lore and game rules. Otherwise you are just making Generic Fantasy Movie #109.

Sure, every bad Hollywood writer treats magic (or tech) as an infinite plot wish effect. When the writer wants it, the magic will be epic awesome....and when they don't want it will be useless. The characters are being chased and are stuck by a river...well sure idiot useless in the fight wizard can cast "Create Golden Gate Bridge" to get the characters across the river. It's a traditional magic spell to make a bridge, right. But to shoot a couple magic missiles or a single fireball in combat, nope can't do that.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  17:56:51  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently it's to be released in 2023? Interesting. I'd watch it.
I mean, my expectations aren't high by any means, I'm not a fan of 4E Realms or even Chris Pine. And the precis sounds really bad.
But after the pandemic, I'll give it a shot. (ba-dum-ching!)

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  18:05:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

This is a big point though: if you are making a D&D Forgotten Realms movie you need to stick to the lore and game rules. Otherwise you are just making Generic Fantasy Movie #109.

Sure, every bad Hollywood writer treats magic (or tech) as an infinite plot wish effect. When the writer wants it, the magic will be epic awesome....and when they don't want it will be useless. The characters are being chased and are stuck by a river...well sure idiot useless in the fight wizard can cast "Create Golden Gate Bridge" to get the characters across the river. It's a traditional magic spell to make a bridge, right. But to shoot a couple magic missiles or a single fireball in combat, nope can't do that.

No, you don't need to stick to the game rules. People don't go to a movie to see a game, they go to see the story -- especially since the majority of movie-goers have never even seen a D20, much less played the game. D&D is more popular now than it has been in the past, but gamers are still very much in the minority.

FR novels don't even stick to all the rules, and they never have.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 May 2021 18:07:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  18:08:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That's one of my...minor points of frustration (I won't say "concerns", because I'm not invested in this film beyond any conversation I engage in here): it will probably come off as too modern. By "modern", I mean that it is going to feel overly jokey and the characters are going to speak and perhaps behave as though they were pulled off a street from late 20th century/early 21st century Earth.

Again, it doesn't say they were framed for a crime they did not commit; they clearly did it or the bad guy wouldn't have had loot to get away with.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  18:35:18  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Again, it doesn't say they were framed for a crime they did not commit; they clearly did it or the bad guy wouldn't have had loot to get away with.

That, I did comprehend. Still, given how the film presently looks to be in this rough plot ballpark...it seems more likely than not .

Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  20:36:30  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, you don't need to stick to the game rules. People don't go to a movie to see a game, they go to see the story -- especially since the majority of movie-goers have never even seen a D20, much less played the game. D&D is more popular now than it has been in the past, but gamers are still very much in the minority.

FR novels don't even stick to all the rules, and they never have.

If you don't stick to the rules, then your making Generic Fantasy Movie 109. So that is saying EVERY fantasy movie is a D&D/FR movie right? There is nothing that makes a D&D/FR movie different, right?

And sure millions of folks are clueless, so it utterly does not matter to them what the movies "rules of reality" . So, what is the reason for not using the game rules for the people that ARE fans and WILL notice? Hate? Stupidity?

Have a wizard that follows the exact game rules, and all the folks will be like "durrrr...wahtevers" as they don' know or care; but the FANS will know and be happy about it.

How would you feel if the movie was set in the city of Waterdeep, a city in the vast Ann A Rock Desert? It's called "waterdeep" as it's the location of several deep wells, but is 2,000 miles from any ocean.

So, no problem, right? As long as they name drop Waterdeep(tm) it's a great and offical FR movie, right?

When they encounter some elves that are three feet tall and talk in sing song and only use clubs as weapons...that is fine too, right? The movie can make anything anything and just say "yup, D&D/FR movie", right?

And if you would say "Waterdeep must be a sea port in the North".....why? None of "the people" know that....you could put Waterdeep on the moon and they won't know or care. Only the fans would go "hey".

So anything can be anything and just slap the D&D or FR label on it?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000