Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A world where gnomes were run out
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2021 :  18:56:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm thinking about a place in Anchorome, and I hadn't really developed the origination story. The idea is that some forest and rock gnomes were forced to flee their homeland (can be just a large city or region) and they flee through the spirit world to Toril. Along the way, they are chased and some of their people willingly allow themselves to be changed into "racoon folk" and "badger folk" at certain points so that they can do things to allow their fellows to survive. In their new forms, they have much shorter life spans, but they've spent say the last 200-300 years on Toril (so some of the original refugee gnomes still remember fleeing as children, though possibly 10-15 generations have passed amongst the changed folk).

Anyway, I hadn't really set what my original "why they left" storyline, because I didn't really need to.... but I was thinking about it and thought "hmmm, should maybe involve kobolds just to build up that whole hatred of kobolds thing". So, that made me think "kobolds are often dragon's servants" and THAT made me think "hmmm, what if dragonborn or half-dragons were also sent to attack these gnomes?". So, I was just thinking I'd throw out for ideas just to make a good story. I'm picturing that maybe the gnomes lived in some mineral rich hills/magical plant forest and a ancestral green dragon and its brood wanted to take over their land for the gems and access to some kind of special fruit for making potions.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2021 :  20:27:34  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used the ol' plague explanation for why Arghenrock was abandoned:

The gnome trade moot Arghenrock (as well as the copper and silver mines beneath it) was struck by a plague the gnomes called The Black Nose. The plague’s most horrible symptom was that it caused a gnome’s nose to turn black and fall off just prior to their death. The plague was resistant to everything the gnome clerics and healers tried so both the trade moot and the mines were abandoned by the gnomes.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2021 :  20:31:19  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bitter rivalry between dragonborn and gnomes would go a long way toward integrating dragonborn into Faerun and making them interesting, so I like that idea (not as much as deep-sixing dragonborn entirely, but still...).

Maybe the dragonborn function as hobgoblins in this kobold society. They're the planners and the war-leaders, while the kobolds do all the grunt work. They invaded the gnomes' homeland to steal the gems and add them to their dragon king's hoard.

Edited by - HighOne on 17 May 2021 20:32:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000