Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Silverymoon and Moonwood mapping problem
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2021 :  21:57:38  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There's an odd discrepancy I've noticed relating to Silverymoon and the Moonwood, which is that every map of Silverymoon shows the Moonwood practically touching the city's northern wall, while every map of the region shows the Moonwood tens of miles away.

Sometimes this discrepancy occurs in a single source; for example, Volo's Guide to the North has a map where Silverymoon and the Moonwood are practically touching, and another map where they're separated by a good 15 miles.

Does anyone know if there's an explanation for this? Or which maps are accurate? Personally, I'd be more inclined to trust the regional maps, but it does seem odd that a sylvan city like Silverymoon would be so far from a forest.

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2021 :  22:57:19  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just my 2cp, I would say they are both right. The forest next to the city used to be connected to the main portion of The Moonwood but deforestation has led to a 15 mile gap. The people of the area have decided to just not rename that little section and so it has kept The Moonwood name. Maybe the elves and/or druids of the area are re-enforcing this idea by saying they are working to regrow the deforested area. They will end up being reconnected in the future so there is no reason to rename it now.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2021 :  03:28:55  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to echo The Iriaeban with both likely being correct, cartographers grossly generalize terrain with more accurate information showing up on smaller scale maps. Lightly wooded land may be generalized as forest land or plains with roughly equal accuracy. In a tactical sense, no trees should ever be within bowshot of the walls because that would diminish the defensive value of those expensive to build walls; however, nonsensical lore like this has always been a part of the FR regardless of the obvious flaws or contradictions with inferred understandings of the world.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2021 :  04:00:44  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't there a storyline where the Moonwood has grown over the past 100 years? It has grown to the point that the Moonwood and the Coldwood are now one forest?

Could this change explain any of the differences you're seeing?

I also like TheIriaeban suggested resolution.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Edited by - Wenin on 17 May 2021 04:01:27
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2021 :  15:14:08  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

Isn't there a storyline where the Moonwood has grown over the past 100 years? It has grown to the point that the Moonwood and the Coldwood are now one forest?
Yes, the most recent map of the Silver Marches shows the Moonwood, Coldwood, Druarwood, and Night Trees fusing into a single forest called the Glimmerwood. However, it still shows a good 30 miles of open land between this forest and Silverymoon.

Edited by - HighOne on 17 May 2021 15:14:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000