Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Free magic casting laws in Athkatla
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2021 :  15:19:51  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Why is free magic casting less tolerated in places south of the sword coast like athkatla compared to Baldur's gate, Neverwinter and Waterdeep? I'm surprised there aren't more organisations like the cowled wizards in the north.

Jack of blades

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2021 :  17:41:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do some word substitution ...

replace "free magic casting" with "guns" or "gun laws"
replace"athkatla" with "Mexico" or "Canada" or "Texas"
replace "Baldur's Gate", "Neverwinter", "Waterdeep" with "Los Angelos", "Seattle", "New York"
replace "Cowled Wizards" with "shooting clubs", "activists", or "NRA"

Suddenly the question basically answers itself through shifted context. It's really asking about different expectations from different cultures, politics, history, laws ... things which people and government polities often disagree about quite passionately.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 11 Apr 2021 17:44:06
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2021 :  18:00:35  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically the South is the civilized safe lands, and the North is the wild wilderness lands. The South is the east coast of the US in the 19th century, with the North as the Wild West. The South has slightly less monsters, and a lot less 'hordes' of humanoids...while the North is full of them.

Also the South is full of Old nations with lots of history....and with that you get tons and tons and tons of laws. The North of new places with slight history has few laws.
Go to Top of Page

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2021 :  18:01:23  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

replace"athkatla" with "Mexico" or "Canada" or "Texas"
replace "Baldur's Gate", "Neverwinter", "Waterdeep" with "Los Angelos", "Seattle", "New York"
replace "Cowled Wizards" with "shooting clubs", "activists", or "NRA"

Suddenly the question basically answers itself through shifted context. It's really asking about different expectations from different cultures, politics, history, laws ... things which people and government polities often disagree about quite passionately.

That answer is hilarious XD
But jokes aside I understand that maybe its just a different culture responding to a common problem differently but I was wondering if Amn historically had trouble with wizards. Maybe a wizard takeover like in Thay

Jack of blades
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2021 :  12:18:04  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[ . . . ]
replace "Cowled Wizards" with [ . . . ] "NRA"
Suddenly the question basically answers itself through shifted context.

Well, yeah. It's about power. Isn't it always.

But, Cowled Wizards as a loyal (i.e. fake) opposition?
I didn't think about them this way, but it makes perfect sense if they'll end up like this. This would be a... very Amnian thing to do.
The difference being that CW would stabilize the power structure via neutralizing external enemies rather than internal malcontents.

After all, the Cowled Wizards's high-ups and Council already had their membership overlap.
quote:
Lands Of Intrigue Book Two: Amn:
The first Meisarch and the founder of the Council, Thayze Selemchant became a petty, jaded laggard once he gained power. [ . . . ] He was also a high-ranked member of the outlawed Cowled Wizards
[ . . . ]
Though she does not realize the extent of the manipula-
tions, Tyrda does know that she is on the Council primarily to
act as the government's control over the Cowled Wizards.

And so on. Lots of them hold formal power on city level.
After a while, the faction struggles should cool down, eventually this will allow simple bargaining. Amnians like to haggle, after all. So there will be a representative entitled to make an "unofficially official" peace treaty.
Now, once they make a peace with the government, how is it a good enough reason to let a perfectly good secret society go to waste?
They'd risk losing leverage. Or the rest could splinter and go after them.
No. It's their capital, it must be preserved and milked for all its worth.
So...
Dear Calishites, Luskanites, Kraken Society, Knights of the Shield, Zhents, assorted merchant cabals and other grasping power of Western Faerun! You can always invest into a little coup in Amn!
Unfortunately, there will be delays, non-catastrophic setbacks due to caught stooges and so on. This project will never, ever, achieve anything against Amn's interests.
The Cowled Wizards will mooch on you until you get a clue or tire of this, and cut your losses.
Oh, and if you'll try to do it your own way, you'll swiftly discover just how much your bumbling "allies" managed to learn.
I like it!

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 13 Apr 2021 13:12:26
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2021 :  12:25:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, its all bring secretly run by Nimbral, just the people don't know it because of all the lies.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2021 :  14:33:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Ah, its all bring secretly run by Nimbral, just the people don't know it because of all the lies.

I am obligated to advance my own personal Realms conspiracy theory: It's actually halflings calling the shots. Specifically, the group known as Halfling Inc.

Gotta keep an eye on those little buggers.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Apr 2021 14:34:21
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2021 :  17:34:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The halflings are just dupes. The real puppetmasters are the gnomes. Greedy banking gnomes. Always the gnomes.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2021 :  18:48:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The halflings are just dupes. The real puppetmasters are the gnomes. Greedy banking gnomes. Always the gnomes.

Meh, gnomes only think they're puppetmasters. It's the Flumph Consortium that's pulling their strings.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2021 :  05:11:17  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A great example of how such things work. In that even this would not substantially change anything in the long run.
So a bunch of foreign Leirans starts it for nightsoil and guffaws, sure, why not. Recruit the locals.
Then, how would they keep coherent command and control at range while constantly bullshitting everyone, including each other? They couldn't.
Would their friends back in Nimbral provide long term support, rather than moving onto some other thing? They wouldn't.
So one way or another, this group would be in this for itself, with increasingly local membership, and would be shaped by their circumstances and interactions just like any other faction.
By the time the second generation signs in, even if they plainly admit it, anything to the effect of "pssst, the whole Cowled thing is all a free-form theater performance started the Nimbrese wizards, really!" would be indistinguishable from any other old series of jokes (which is a... very Leirans thing, after all).

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Meh, gnomes only think they're puppetmasters. It's the Flumph Consortium that's pulling their strings.

Did you guys miss that article in Forging the Realms?
When comes to conspiracies and secret societies, the default answer is always "All of these. And then some more." Hence the results.
Then there are places like Waterdeep, which produces conspiracies much like "other places grow corn or barley", as Laeral put it. Even if mostly not for export...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 14 Apr 2021 05:12:04
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2021 :  14:37:51  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erevan Illesere

That answer is hilarious XD
But jokes aside I understand that maybe its just a different culture responding to a common problem differently but I was wondering if Amn historically had trouble with wizards. Maybe a wizard takeover like in Thay

Well there are some historical reasons for mistrust of magic users and the general population is not too happy about spellslingers.

The region has historically developed as satellite states of the Shoon Imperium which was at its worst when led by spellcasters. And that's kind of a "throughout time" condition.

Then they had problems with (pardon me the gamey jargon) "casters" going as far back as with Ihundyl the "Mad Mage" (in 223-238) up to the most recent (and still remembered) School of Wonder blow up of 1266.

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

But, Cowled Wizards as a loyal (i.e. fake) opposition?
I didn't think about them this way, but it makes perfect sense if they'll end up like this. This would be a... very Amnian thing to do.
The difference being that CW would stabilize the power structure via neutralizing external enemies rather than internal malcontents.

After all, the Cowled Wizards's high-ups and Council already had their membership overlap.

That's how it is for me.

I've been heavily influenced by the way the Cowled Wizards are portrayed in BG II as "magic police" joining forces with regular enforcers in Athkatla. And the source material you cited leaves the door open for a not-so-secret collaboration between the Cowled Wizards and the Council of Six (just as the source material implies the Shadow Thieves are used by the Council) to keep magical outsiders out of their playground.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2021 :  12:39:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

How much involvement do the awakened almiraj tribes of Chult that were psionically endowed by Auppenser have with mind controlling the Flumph Consortium now?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2021 :  18:39:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

How much involvement do the awakened almiraj tribes of Chult that were psionically endowed by Auppenser have with mind controlling the Flumph Consortium now?

None at all. It amuses the Flumph Consortium to watch the almiraj think they're accomplishing something.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2021 :  02:38:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

None at all. It amuses the Flumph Consortium to watch the almiraj think they're accomplishing something.

Lol, yeah, they do have a tendency to get distracted with breeding.... darn almiraj.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000