Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hint that Faerun Campaign Book is by MtG team
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2021 :  22:58:38  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Beat you to it by two days :p

Ooof, I just noticed

quote:

I’m underwhelmed! Magic has much better settings, IMO; Zendikar feels long overdue, Innistrad would be more of a crowd pleaser, and I’m dying for Mirrodin or Tarkir.

Well Zendikar did get a 38 page free Planeshift supplement, which by the looks of it, did have a lot of information crammed into it. A big setting book would've also have been nice, but i can see why they're pushing the settings currently popular with the cards.

And for Innistrad, that's a 40-page PDF and I feel overlaps too heavily with Ravenloft BUT I think there's some real potential for a Strhad even recruiting the PCs to stop an emergence from the plane of Innistrad - Emrakul. An interesting concept could be that the Domain of Dread is being encroached upon by an alternate reality, that of Innistrad with the pushing of a Eldrazi Titan. Strhad isn't the big fish anymore.

My excitement isn't necessarily with the Strixhaven campaign setting specifically, but just more lore and options that help form this D&D/Magic: the Gathering bond. Besides, I'm still kicking around ideas of a Plane-Jumping worlds-bounding adventure with Planewalkers and this just gives me more ideas.

Edited by - Diffan on 08 Jun 2021 22:59:24
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  04:41:01  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm kinda surprised that Dominaria and Tarkir haven't gotten books yet. But then again, the most interesting periods to explore for Dominaria fans are probably in the distant past, and Tarkir was the unfortunate victim of it's history being rewritten by timetravel. WotC doesn't really do content for stuff outside of the current timeframe unfortunately. Still, Strixhaven is barely a setting and doesn't really have a lot going for it, IMO. Not sure why it got a book-is this just going to be the policy going forward for MTG sets?

If so, getting some FR stuff might be more likely in the upcoming set.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  05:30:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Yet, they can't put together an amazing fully fleshed out Campaigns Guide for the Forgotten Realms.

They could. They are explicitly choosing not to.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  06:14:06  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Yet, they can't put together an amazing fully fleshed out Campaigns Guide for the Forgotten Realms.

They’ll have to talk about where dragonborn come from /eventually/, right? :p

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  14:35:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

Popularity isn't the issue. It's that many people see Dark Sun as "problematic" these days due to its inclusion of slavery and other politically incorrect setting elements. Go to any D&D forum hipper and younger than this one and you'll find hundreds of posts about how to bowdlerize Dark Sun for modern audiences. The consensus seems to be that it cannot be done. Remove the "offensive" elements, and there's nothing left.

Bah. Lolthite drow keep slaves, have a highly sexist society, and even kill their own family members -- but WotC can't go back to that particular well often enough.

And Dark Sun's defining characteristics had nothing to do with slavery and such: it was the environment, and psionics.

And "cannibalism" of various races upon each other... and everyone starving but somehow being extremely muscular. To note, I don't mind the "cannibalism" or other gritty things, as I like that type of conflict in a game (I'm hard to offend, but not impossible). A lot of other people have problems with these issues. Oddly, its the "healthiness" depicted of everyone in at least the old art that is just off-putting to me (if it weren't for people constantly talking about how hungry they were I'd be less irritated in that). That being said, I never really played Dark Sun. I wish I'd read more back then, as apparently there was a decent exploration of psionics.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 10 Jun 2021 15:10:41
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  14:40:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Popularity isn't the issue. It's that many people see Dark Sun as "problematic" these days due to its inclusion of slavery and other politically incorrect setting elements. Go to any D&D forum hipper and younger than this one and you'll find hundreds of posts about how to bowdlerize Dark Sun for modern audiences. The consensus seems to be that it cannot be done. Remove the "offensive" elements, and there's nothing left.
Bah. Lolthite drow keep slaves, have a highly sexist society, and even kill their own family members -- but WotC can't go back to that particular well often enough.
Because it's a matriarchy. It's okay to depict slavery and sexism in art when women are the perpetrators and not the primary victims.

Silly? Absolutely. Stupid? Unbelievably so. But those are the current rules we live by in our oh-so enlightened society.

You sure you’re still talking about the Realms here, and not just vaguely grinding a political axe?

Seems to me he's just pointing out the elephant in the room.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  16:07:37  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That's the case so far. But I think the success of the other campaign setting books (Eberron, Wildemount, etc.) might be enough to convince Wizards to publish a Forgotten Realms campaign setting book. For one thing, they have the formula down now, which they didn't when the SCAG (an unfortunate mess of a book by 5E standards) was released.

Back when 5E lacked campaign setting books altogether (2014-2018), it wasn't too surprising that 5E lacked a FRCS. After all, Wizards had said they were doing things differently this time around, and one of those differences seemed to be not publishing campaign settings. But now that there are, what, six or seven of them? the FRCS is conspicuous by its absence.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  23:34:00  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

I'm kinda surprised that Dominaria and Tarkir haven't gotten books yet. But then again, the most interesting periods to explore for Dominaria fans are probably in the distant past, and Tarkir was the unfortunate victim of it's history being rewritten by timetravel. WotC doesn't really do content for stuff outside of the current timeframe unfortunately. Still, Strixhaven is barely a setting and doesn't really have a lot going for it, IMO. Not sure why it got a book-is this just going to be the policy going forward for MTG sets?

If so, getting some FR stuff might be more likely in the upcoming set.

Look for a Dominaria book next year, it's widely believed that next year we are getting a returned visit in a set called Dominaria United. It was Unearthed by fans searching through WotC's rescent purchases of web addresses earlier this year.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  23:40:16  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, just saw this come up and kinda makes me both happy and also equally sad. Magic: The Gathering’s Strixhaven setting comes to D&D in a new campaign book.

Like, with ALL the Magic: the Gathering info in terms of D&D stuff out - two FULL campaign books, half a dozen Planeshift articles, & FR crossovers - it REALLY makes me want to do a full 20 level campaign where they portal-jump through all the areas in search of a Mcguffin that stops Phyrexia somehow. Yet, they can't put together an amazing fully fleshed out Campaigns Guide for the Forgotten Realms.

I think tomorrow that changes and they will announce a Faerun Campaign Setting Book. Perhaps Ellywick Tumblestrum's Guide to Faerun or Drizzt's Faerunian Handbook. Below the reasons why.

1. They are spending a ton on Forgotten Realms art for AFR MtG set and they will wish to reuse alot of it just like they reused MtG card art in the MtG D&D setting books.

2. The new art Lorendrow, Aevendrow, and Udadrow in last months Dragon+ Magazine. New novels will get a cover art, they don't get abunch of extra art. That art has to be for some other book that explores the new Drow, like say a Faerun Campaign Setting Book

3. The only setting the lore in the Draconic UAs fits, outside of Fizban, is the Forgotten Realms, and Fizban can be explained if he is a Planeswalker in the AFR set.

4. The Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft were embroiled in scandal last year and while I found .out of it absurd, Ray Winninger took it seriously, and I believe he set into motion a pair of setting books for Ravenloft and The Forgotten Realms designed to address the critics and update certain elements of settings, such as changes to the Vistani. The new Drow are apart of this. We have already have Ravenloft's book, I think James Wyatt's book yet unannounced is FR book where these issues get addressed.

5. They straight up said the Forgotten Realms is their most popular setting, which is why the first D&D MtG set is an FR set, why the D&D movie and TV show are going to be set there, and why the major video games (BG3 & DA) this year are set there, etc..., so not doing a campaign setting book for the setting that is most profitable is leaving money on the table.

6. James Wyatt has become the setting guy beyond anyone else, so it's likely his book is a setting book. His UAs were the Draconic ones and AFR has a strong Dragon tribal theme to it. He was also part of the MtG world building team so he likely helped work on AFR.

7. Forgotten Realms fans have been begging for this book for years now, how long can they ignore there the fans of their biggest IP?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2021 :  00:38:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I downloaded MtG: Arena on my phone and desktop. Lots of fun - but it is a time chewer. Currently saving gold for the release of the FR expansion in July.

-- George Krashos

Well, you got me to download it. Definitely the rules have gotten a lot more options than 20 years ago, and only been playing an hour, but wanted to tell you thanks. I haven't actually played any video games in so long. I may get hooked on this for a while.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2021 :  01:48:21  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remain deeply skeptical we'll see a fuller FR campaign book for 5e, or that it's one folks here would be content with; look at the depth each Domain got in Van Richten's and imagine that for Faerun, and folks here will riot.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2021 :  02:27:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's the case so far. But I think the success of the other campaign setting books (Eberron, Wildemount, etc.) might be enough to convince Wizards to publish a Forgotten Realms campaign setting book. For one thing, they have the formula down now, which they didn't when the SCAG (an unfortunate mess of a book by 5E standards) was released.

Back when 5E lacked campaign setting books altogether (2014-2018), it wasn't too surprising that 5E lacked a FRCS. After all, Wizards had said they were doing things differently this time around, and one of those differences seemed to be not publishing campaign settings. But now that there are, what, six or seven of them? the FRCS is conspicuous by its absence.

They already had a formula down. There were campaign books/boxed sets for four prior editions.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2021 :  02:31:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:

So, just saw this come up and kinda makes me both happy and also equally sad. Magic: The Gathering’s Strixhaven setting comes to D&D in a new campaign book.

Like, with ALL the Magic: the Gathering info in terms of D&D stuff out - two FULL campaign books, half a dozen Planeshift articles, & FR crossovers - it REALLY makes me want to do a full 20 level campaign where they portal-jump through all the areas in search of a Mcguffin that stops Phyrexia somehow. Yet, they can't put together an amazing fully fleshed out Campaigns Guide for the Forgotten Realms.

I think tomorrow that changes and they will announce a Faerun Campaign Setting Book. Perhaps Ellywick Tumblestrum's Guide to Faerun or Drizzt's Faerunian Handbook. Below the reasons why.

1. They are spending a ton on Forgotten Realms art for AFR MtG set and they will wish to reuse alot of it just like they reused MtG card art in the MtG D&D setting books.

2. The new art Lorendrow, Aevendrow, and Udadrow in last months Dragon+ Magazine. New novels will get a cover art, they don't get abunch of extra art. That art has to be for some other book that explores the new Drow, like say a Faerun Campaign Setting Book

3. The only setting the lore in the Draconic UAs fits, outside of Fizban, is the Forgotten Realms, and Fizban can be explained if he is a Planeswalker in the AFR set.

4. The Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft were embroiled in scandal last year and while I found .out of it absurd, Ray Winninger took it seriously, and I believe he set into motion a pair of setting books for Ravenloft and The Forgotten Realms designed to address the critics and update certain elements of settings, such as changes to the Vistani. The new Drow are apart of this. We have already have Ravenloft's book, I think James Wyatt's book yet unannounced is FR book where these issues get addressed.

5. They straight up said the Forgotten Realms is their most popular setting, which is why the first D&D MtG set is an FR set, why the D&D movie and TV show are going to be set there, and why the major video games (BG3 & DA) this year are set there, etc..., so not doing a campaign setting book for the setting that is most profitable is leaving money on the table.

6. James Wyatt has become the setting guy beyond anyone else, so it's likely his book is a setting book. His UAs were the Draconic ones and AFR has a strong Dragon tribal theme to it. He was also part of the MtG world building team so he likely helped work on AFR.

7. Forgotten Realms fans have been begging for this book for years now, how long can they ignore there the fans of their biggest IP?

Their biggest IP is Magic the Gathering.

Forgotten Realms fans are a subset of the larger number of D&D fans. And they've spent years -- entire editions, even -- ignoring what we want.

Again, I know you want to believe there's a new campaign book coming -- but I'm not seeing anything that even hints that they're considering it. The SCAG is all we're going to get until the design directive changes.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2021 :  13:13:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms is too big and with the Spellpague/Sundering too undetailed to do a 5E Campaign Setting book. The scope is massive, and WotC are simply ill-equipped to write anything like that. Moreover, writing such a definitive FR book limits their ability to pick and choose what generic D&D elements they want to play with. I've said it before and I'll say it again: not happening. Period.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2021 :  15:26:25  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Realms is too big and with the Spellpague/Sundering too undetailed to do a 5E Campaign Setting book. The scope is massive, and WotC are simply ill-equipped to write anything like that. Moreover, writing such a definitive FR book limits their ability to pick and choose what generic D&D elements they want to play with. I've said it before and I'll say it again: not happening. Period.

-- George Krashos

Come to think of it, that might help explain why WoTC is doing stuff like Strixhaven hasn't done a Dominaria book yet, despite the latter being by far MtG's most developed, most influential setting that basically defined mtg, while the former is a single-set harry potter themepark setting, deep as a plastic kiddie pool.

Dominaria had lots of books written for it, and a crazy number of magic sets devoted to its different regions. There was a lot of lore there (even if there was admittedly never as much as the Realms) Unlike a lot of more modern magic settings where planes tend to be.... hyper-focused on one niche, Dominaria made use of multiple continents and regions to frame whatever stories were going on. A very different era of Magic, for sure, one that resists pidgeonholing into something easily digestible in the sort of material we have been seeing recently. Like the Realms, it also suffered some rather unfortunate story decisions + considerable passage of time that has pretty much left the modern setting as very.....undefined.

Too big, too much history, too many nations, cultures etc to address for a setting that was left fallow for too long. Of course, the best course of action would be to just set any hypothetical Dominaria book in the past, before the time skip, before the 'Mending', etc. But on a PR level, I think doing something like that would be far too much of an admission of failure that it could never happen, even if (like with the Realms) I think it's something that would absolutely be beneficial to the setting.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2021 :  16:51:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

And quite frankly, they may be afraid. The 4e ruleset ran off a lot of folks, but I'd just as many left the game over the changes in the 4e FRCS. They started coming back with the idea of the second sundering, and that's when some, like myself, started exploring what was done in 4e more (because it HAD been fleshed out more, in dungeon and dragon articles by people that loved the realms). So, about 2 years later when the actual 5e books came out, a lot of us were a little more forgiving because there were HINTS that they'd try to make things right.

To be honest, I don't love the 5e ruleset, but I do love the realms, and even I feel for anyone that tries to address everyone's wants. You have people like me who are fine with the idea of shoehorning in a lot of the 4e ideas into a returning realms, and for me that involves exploring what happened in the returning lands heavily.... so changes, not returning as it was. Then you have people who are more like Keftiu who scream that the 4e realms are the way things should be (at least, that's what I feel like she's been saying). Then there's the people who just want everything the way it was pre-spellplague. Then there's folks who are a mix of these 3 extremes (hell, I might even be considered that).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 11 Jun 2021 16:53:29
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2021 :  20:08:02  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’ve never once thought the 4e Realms are flawless, and I do try to avoid /screaming / - for one, I think 4e’s handling of Chult is unconscionable, and pretty much everything done with the Shou is some degree of gross.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2021 :  01:38:06  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was hoping today would be the day the a new FR campaign Setting Book with James Wyatt would be announced, instead the both the last day Legend Lore week and Dragon Talk were disappointing. We then find out via Twitter from Ray Winnger that James Wyatt's book is coming out in October and will be announced at D&D live with details.

Boy did WotC botch today big events
Hope D&D live goes better.

I still think it will be a FR campaign Setting Guide, but it appears I am one of the very, very few folks who do. I guess we will see.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2021 :  02:58:48  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that the only Unearthed Arcana that’s unaccounted for is a bunch of draconic subclasses and Dragonborn subraces, I don’t expect whatever book they call home to be a Realms guide.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2021 :  04:02:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Agreed.

Also, a lot of what they have been doing for settings, of late, is stuff that's already done. They're not building anything, they're presenting something that's already been built.

WotC is no longer building worlds. And with the timejump and the rampant changes to the setting, then rolling back some of those changes, they would have to rebuild the world in order to present it. Even if it wasn't for their reluctance to limit themselves in any way, I don't see the current design crew being willing to take on the challenge.

And I'm not being negative when I say they're not willing to take on that challenge. Some people like building new worlds or fleshing out existing parts of existing ones. Some people like digging through the minutiae of existing lore to find previously unnoticed connections. Some like telling stories. Some like building magic stuff. Some like creating NPCs. And some just want to make adventures. It's not good or bad, it's just that we all have our preferred focus.

I won't say the current focus is right for the Realms, but obviously someone at WotC thinks it's the correct course.

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2021 :  05:51:19  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Also, a lot of what they have been doing for settings, of late, is stuff that's already done. They're not building anything, they're presenting something that's already been built.

WotC is no longer building worlds. And with the timejump and the rampant changes to the setting, then rolling back some of those changes, they would have to rebuild the world in order to present it. Even if it wasn't for their reluctance to limit themselves in any way, I don't see the current design crew being willing to take on the challenge.

And I'm not being negative when I say they're not willing to take on that challenge. Some people like building new worlds or fleshing out existing parts of existing ones. Some people like digging through the minutiae of existing lore to find previously unnoticed connections. Some like telling stories. Some like building magic stuff. Some like creating NPCs. And some just want to make adventures. It's not good or bad, it's just that we all have our preferred focus.

I won't say the current focus is right for the Realms, but obviously someone at WotC thinks it's the correct course.

I think this is a salient point about the Realms, but I do want to say that there's been a good amount of new worldbuilding put out by WotC; the bulk of the setting material in the new Ravenloft book is new stuff (between fresh Domains and some pretty radical reinventions of old ones), and while Exandria, Ravnica, Theros, and Strixhaven are all adapted, the first is a brand new setting made for D&D, while the other three are still the creation of Wizards of the Coast and new to D&D; I don't think their origins cheapen them as new campaign settings. There's plenty of worldbuilding coming out of WotC writers, regardless of what this particular forum seems to think.

Worth noting for the contrast is Eberron, which stuck to a largely-unmodified port over of the previous core lore of the setting, with expanding into new lore saved for DM's Guild products made by the setting's creator (and thus /technically/ not being WotC official).

What all this makes me think is that WotC is not reluctant to make new material, but sees introducing new settings or shaking up other old ones as a safer gamble than than the riskier bet of engaging more deeply with the Realms. It feels like unnecessary risk to me; touching the MASSIVE history risks scaring away the new players that 5e explicitly exists to cater to, while defining what the post-Second Sundering world looks like beyond the tiniest glimpses of one tiny sliver (the Sword Coast) risks another backlash from the established fans like 4e had.

Why engage with that incredibly delicate balancing act when you have a number of old D&D worlds that would balk less at major changes and a backlog of [checks notes] ~15 relevant Magic planes you could bring over?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2021 :  13:05:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I think this is a salient point about the Realms, but I do want to say that there's been a good amount of new worldbuilding put out by WotC; the bulk of the setting material in the new Ravenloft book is new stuff (between fresh Domains and some pretty radical reinventions of old ones), and while Exandria, Ravnica, Theros, and Strixhaven are all adapted, the first is a brand new setting made for D&D, while the other three are still the creation of Wizards of the Coast and new to D&D; I don't think their origins cheapen them as new campaign settings. There's plenty of worldbuilding coming out of WotC writers, regardless of what this particular forum seems to think.

Worth noting for the contrast is Eberron, which stuck to a largely-unmodified port over of the previous core lore of the setting, with expanding into new lore saved for DM's Guild products made by the setting's creator (and thus /technically/ not being WotC official).

What all this makes me think is that WotC is not reluctant to make new material, but sees introducing new settings or shaking up other old ones as a safer gamble than than the riskier bet of engaging more deeply with the Realms. It feels like unnecessary risk to me; touching the MASSIVE history risks scaring away the new players that 5e explicitly exists to cater to, while defining what the post-Second Sundering world looks like beyond the tiniest glimpses of one tiny sliver (the Sword Coast) risks another backlash from the established fans like 4e had.

Why engage with that incredibly delicate balancing act when you have a number of old D&D worlds that would balk less at major changes and a backlog of [checks notes] ~15 relevant Magic planes you could bring over?

To this add that they HAVE converted other magic settings, just not put out whole books YET. Of these, from a "look" standpoint, I think Ixalan intrigues me the most. It ALMOST seems to me that their worldbuilding is from the art perspective first and foremost, which I know probably isn't the case, but it is interesting to see their take on things at times.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 12 Jun 2021 13:07:54
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2021 :  13:35:36  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Exandria wasn't created by the D&D team, though (like, at all? Unless you count having D&D races and some D&D gods created 40+ years ago as WotC contributing to the creation). And the Magic settings were created by the Magic team, not the D&D team (who merely converted them). It doesn't mean that the Magic settings are cheapened as CS, but it does indeed mean that it's not new worldbuilding being made.

I give you Ravenloft, but it's very little new content compared to the lifespan of 5e. All of this kinda confirms Wooly's hypothesis, tbh, until WotC starts putting out worldbuilding that is actually new.

quote:

touching the MASSIVE history risks scaring away the new players that 5e explicitly exists to cater to,

I'll be honest, this point always seemed rather condescending towards new players, as if they could never stomach anything deeper than a puddle. Fans of tons of video game franchises (Dark Souls anyone?) or novel series, where there's even a trend about searching for the smallest hidden bit of lore, prove the contrary. I joined shortly before 5e was announced, and seeing people throw this around made me roll my eyes to no end.

Complexity or vastity aren't a problem, if the designer and writers can handle it. How does a writer ease the reader in when writing a novel about a fantasy world full of unknown concepts, factions and stuff?

Infodump&telling? Shit writing that drives away readers (even though some readers can stomach this, but it's usually the enjoyment of the subject that leads them to keep reading through the BS writing).

Choosing the right scenes for the first arc of the plot in order to convey both the character and the core elements of the setting (which, in turn are both created like that because they are necessary to the story). Basically, choosing what NOT to show to deliver the feeling and understanding that you want to deliver (Hemingway's iceberg, but applied to screenwriting)? That's the right thing to do. You can then let the evolution of the conflict bring those elements to their consequences and build on them in the 2nd and 3rd arc without having to even tell anything or add scenes that are there just to "show the world", and while providing a full picture. All of this is possible since the elements were chosen because they were necessary to the evolution of the story to being with.

All of that is hard to pull off, yes, and requires ungodly amounts of work. Sourcebook designers have an easier time, though, because they can tell. I mean, sourcebooks do basically nothing but infodumping on people. All designers have to do is choosing how to present the setting. For each region/history/faction, they need to choose what to say (and especially what NOT to say) to convey the feeling and theme of that region, and that can be done without having it become overbearing.

It won't be the mountains of details that lore fans want, but it will be a good book that won't "scare" anyone.

TL; DR: the problem isn't that new players are scared of complexity, but that people at WotC don't see working on presenting it right as a worthwhile thing to do, apparently. Also because this requires you to know the inside out of what you're writing (how can you choose the most poignant elements to deliver X theme, otherwise?), and WotC staffers probably can't be bothered with that.

quote:
while defining what the post-Second Sundering world looks like beyond the tiniest glimpses of one tiny sliver (the Sword Coast) risks another backlash from the established fans like 4e had.

On this I can agree.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 12 Jun 2021 14:07:32
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2021 :  13:37:33  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would disagree somewhat here, since as I see it Exandria isn't "new worldbuilding put out by WotC" in this context. Exandria is a setting that was created by Matthew Mercer for the home campaign he ran and which later turned into Critical Role - but in the beginning, it was a one-off session as a birthday present for one of his players. Only later did it turn into a "let's keep doing this" (their home campaign) and only later again did it turn into first streaming their campaign for charity (on Geek and Sundry's Twitch channel), then later splitting from G&S and turning it into an actual profitable business (with merchandise and sponsors). And it was only after the business transformation happened that Mercer wrote down all his worldbuilding ideas and notes in the first campaign setting ("Tal'dorei"). And then after that, WotC saw the immense popularity that it had and first had Mercer help with a few things they were doing. That subsequently is what resulted in the second campaign setting book he wrote, Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, which was set on a different continent to his original campaign, and that is what he gave to (or sold to, or whatever it was) WotC.

And only now that Mercer has effectively sold his setting to WotC (though any details of the arrangement are unknown to me; I doubt he had the same deal that Ed had with TSR when he sold Forgotten Realms to them, and it may well just be some sort of agreement that led to WotC saying "you can put our official stamp on it") are there characters from his campaigns, players, and similar showing up. And why not? It's free publicity! One example is Joe Manganiello's dragonborn paladin of Tiamat (Arkhan the Cruel) appearing in Descent into Avernus. And that is itself also a result of something else which I'll get to now (this post is turning out to be quite long; you may already be aware of all this, but I am reflecting on the past 5-10 years!).

I guess what I'm saying is that it was a very long, winding road that brought the Exandria setting into Wizards, and I don't think it's really fair to saying "WotC is still doing worldbuilding" by citing it as an example. At most I think the worldbuilding is entirely incidental, in fact. What they're doing instead looks to me like marketing themselves as a business that is making the 5E Dungeons and Dragons game, and reaching out to various (minor) celebrities and social media personalities to help promote it. It is a strong focus on the adventure/campaign component,

This isn't a bad thing at all, mind! It's just different.

I think the old era of publishing book after book of setting material, with an accompanying novel line, is very definitely gone. That was a shrinking customer base from the late 1990s onward. WotC are engaging in a very different business model now. The more cynical might say it's capitalising on "nerd culture" but I don't know if that's entirely fair. In any case, the Forgotten Realms is part of the model, namely as a setting they are using for their adventures and for the various other platforms they are pushing D&D on (such as the new computer games of Baldur's Gate 3 and the new Dark Alliance).

I do tend to agree with what you said here though:

quote:
What all this makes me think is that WotC is not reluctant to make new material, but sees introducing new settings or shaking up other old ones as a safer gamble than than the riskier bet of engaging more deeply with the Realms.

I would add that WotC also I think is taking a cue from what Paizo Publishing did with Pathfinder in their adventure approach (and which WotC was also slowly starting to do toward the end of 3.5E's lifespan). Just like Paizo has the adventure paths as an intended main draw ("easy to start, pre-made adventures"), WotC is publishing adventures (including their D&D Adventurer's League) that can "shake up" a setting. They're doing it better than Paizo is nowadays, or perhaps they just have better name/brand recognition which snowballed into doing it better (coupled with a healthy bit of Right Place Right Time in the Twitch/whatever streaming), but that's neither here nor there; the important thing, I would say, is that I see similarities in the approach, though the way WotC does it has evolved from what Paizo did. And as I noted above, there's benefits in the publicity/advertising it brings as well, integrating so many different things into a broader D&D lineup.

Given the immense business success of that approach (last I checked, the sales figures over the last six to nine months have D&D as an actual rival to or in front of MtG, which I suspect has never happened before in the history of ever), I can't fault WotC for doing it. I'm not sure how they will eventually move the system on from 5E to the inevitable 6E (systems generally seem to have a shelf life of a decade at most), but it will be interesting if nothing else.

If you stuck with my rambling reflections this long, then cheers. I just wanted to comment or reflect on what's happening/going on as I see it.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2021 :  01:34:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paizo is building settings, though. Yes, they're doing the Adventure Paths, but they're also continuing to put out new setting material for both Golarion (Pathfinder) and Near Space (Starfinder).

And unless they've changed since I was reading them, the Adventure Paths generally have a sizable amount of setting material, too.

All of that doesn't compare to the amount of setting material TSR/WotC used to give us... But the amount of worldbuilding WotC is doing right now doesn't compare to what Paizo is doing.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Jun 2021 01:35:09
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2021 :  03:20:15  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Paizo is building settings, though. Yes, they're doing the Adventure Paths, but they're also continuing to put out new setting material for both Golarion (Pathfinder) and Near Space (Starfinder).

And unless they've changed since I was reading them, the Adventure Paths generally have a sizable amount of setting material, too.

All of that doesn't compare to the amount of setting material TSR/WotC used to give us... But the amount of worldbuilding WotC is doing right now doesn't compare to what Paizo is doing.

They’ve divided their core setting (Fantasy Europe, the northern half of Fantasy Africa, and the Fantasy Med between them) into ten “Meta-Regions,” and two of them each have 300+ page books dedicated to them coming out later this year. I assume the other eight will follow if those sell well.

Those adventure paths have a volume come out every month, and each has a number of backmatter articles equivalent to those once found in Dragon magazine. It’s a lot of stuff, and most of it’s good!

tl;dr Paizo is outpacing WotC on setting material by an exponential amount.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2021 :  19:07:45  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

Exandria wasn't created by the D&D team, though (like, at all? Unless you count having D&D races and some D&D gods created 40+ years ago as WotC contributing to the creation). And the Magic settings were created by the Magic team, not the D&D team (who merely converted them). It doesn't mean that the Magic settings are cheapened as CS, but it does indeed mean that it's not new worldbuilding being made.

I give you Ravenloft, but it's very little new content compared to the lifespan of 5e. All of this kinda confirms Wooly's hypothesis, tbh, until WotC starts putting out worldbuilding that is actually new.

quote:

touching the MASSIVE history risks scaring away the new players that 5e explicitly exists to cater to,

I'll be honest, this point always seemed rather condescending towards new players, as if they could never stomach anything deeper than a puddle. Fans of tons of video game franchises (Dark Souls anyone?) or novel series, where there's even a trend about searching for the smallest hidden bit of lore, prove the contrary. I joined shortly before 5e was announced, and seeing people throw this around made me roll my eyes to no end.

Complexity or vastity aren't a problem, if the designer and writers can handle it. How does a writer ease the reader in when writing a novel about a fantasy world full of unknown concepts, factions and stuff?

Infodump&telling? Shit writing that drives away readers (even though some readers can stomach this, but it's usually the enjoyment of the subject that leads them to keep reading through the BS writing).

Choosing the right scenes for the first arc of the plot in order to convey both the character and the core elements of the setting (which, in turn are both created like that because they are necessary to the story). Basically, choosing what NOT to show to deliver the feeling and understanding that you want to deliver (Hemingway's iceberg, but applied to screenwriting)? That's the right thing to do. You can then let the evolution of the conflict bring those elements to their consequences and build on them in the 2nd and 3rd arc without having to even tell anything or add scenes that are there just to "show the world", and while providing a full picture. All of this is possible since the elements were chosen because they were necessary to the evolution of the story to being with.

All of that is hard to pull off, yes, and requires ungodly amounts of work. Sourcebook designers have an easier time, though, because they can tell. I mean, sourcebooks do basically nothing but infodumping on people. All designers have to do is choosing how to present the setting. For each region/history/faction, they need to choose what to say (and especially what NOT to say) to convey the feeling and theme of that region, and that can be done without having it become overbearing.

It won't be the mountains of details that lore fans want, but it will be a good book that won't "scare" anyone.

TL; DR: the problem isn't that new players are scared of complexity, but that people at WotC don't see working on presenting it right as a worthwhile thing to do, apparently. Also because this requires you to know the inside out of what you're writing (how can you choose the most poignant elements to deliver X theme, otherwise?), and WotC staffers probably can't be bothered with that.

quote:
while defining what the post-Second Sundering world looks like beyond the tiniest glimpses of one tiny sliver (the Sword Coast) risks another backlash from the established fans like 4e had.

On this I can agree.

There is major over lap between the D&D team and the MtG team in the forms of Ari Levich and James Wyatt, both of which were on the World Building teams for MtG and are now apart of the D&D team. Wyatt also likely worked on the up coming AFR world building team and helped with the Strixhaven: Cirriculum of Chaos book, although Amanda Hammon is the lead designer for it (Wyatt being lead designer for another book).

And Strixhaven: School of Mages and Strixhaven: Cirriculum of Chaos is brand new, it shares development time, its the first setting to be designed as both MtG set and D&D setting at the same time, S: SoM literally just released in April and is the current Premiere set. You can see the D&D influences on the set.

And I believe they are planning a Feywild setting, the Domains of Delight, the Witchlight book being akin to Curse of Strahd coming before Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.
Go to Top of Page

Mimir
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2021 :  22:07:29  Show Profile Send Mimir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Late to the party, but this is pretty much hitting the nail on the head for me. While I don't think the bean counters spend a lot of time (read: any) fretting over forum posts, I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of said beans that the stink generated between 2008-2015 was enough to give those making the decisions a token amount of pause when it came time to weigh the benefits of walking the tightrope of updating FR for 5e.

While I may be in the minority here, given what little WotC 5e material I've read, I'm of the opinion that it might be a good thing we're not getting a 5e FR Set. Dungeon of the Mad Mage leans hard enough into random fart jokes that I'm not sure I want to know who they have ruling Cormyr.

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom" - Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2021 :  22:26:04  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

There is major over lap between the D&D team and the MtG team in the forms of Ari Levich and James Wyatt, both of which were on the World Building teams for MtG and are now apart of the D&D team. Wyatt also likely worked on the up coming AFR world building team and helped with the Strixhaven: Cirriculum of Chaos book, although Amanda Hammon is the lead designer for it (Wyatt being lead designer for another book).

And Strixhaven: School of Mages and Strixhaven: Cirriculum of Chaos is brand new, it shares development time, its the first setting to be designed as both MtG set and D&D setting at the same time, S: SoM literally just released in April and is the current Premiere set. You can see the D&D influences on the set.

And I believe they are planning a Feywild setting, the Domains of Delight, the Witchlight book being akin to Curse of Strahd coming before Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.

Ok, but the Magic settings were created long before the release of 5e, weren't they? So the point remains.

That said, I thought that Strixhaven was old too (I'm not familiar with MtG) but looks like I was wrong. Also, if the Feywild adventure comse with new lore, then it seems that WotC is actually not shying away from worldbuilding like I believed.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2021 :  23:51:50  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mimir

I'm of the opinion that it might be a good thing we're not getting a 5e FR Set.
Yes, I'm of the same mind. To those asking for an FRCS, I say: be careful what you wish for. If you don't like what Wizards has done with FR lately, you're not going to like what they do with an FRCS.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000