Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hint that Faerun Campaign Book is by MtG team
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1529 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2021 :  20:34:45  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I think the MtG team at WotC may have just let slip Faerun is getting a Campaign Setting Book.

"Releasing on July 16, we begin our journey in Faerûn with Adventures in the Forgotten Realms—the first time we're bringing the world of Dungeons & Dragons to a Magic: The Gathering release. Unlike our usual mid-year Core Set release, Adventures in the Forgotten Realms has everything you love about Magic—mixed with the tropes and tools of Dungeons & Dragons for a flavorful and mechanically unique experience for players.

It's an adventure unlike any you've seen in Magic yet!

The in important part is "We BEGIN our journey in Faerun with Adventures in the Forgotten Realms" the emphasis on Begin, as this set is just a start of a journey into Faerun, as in more for FAERUN is planned then just this set. It could mean future MtG sets in Faerun, hell Forgotten Realms might replace Core Sets I guess, but more likely is a Faerun Campaign World Setting Book IMHO. Look at the last couple of UAs that weren't intended for Ravenloft, two Dragon Themed subclasses and 4 Feywild races (Faerun is literally named after Faerie which is another, older, canon name for the Feywild).

Putting the pieces together I really thing this book is coming this year.


Edited by - Gyor on 18 Mar 2021 20:36:27

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2021 :  20:43:06  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Magic cards, that's it. The "next stop on the journey" could be Dragonlance, or Greyhawk, or Ravenhawk, or the MtG world, or Star Wars (I know not Star Wars but the point is literally the next set of cards could be anything).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 18 Mar 2021 20:43:39
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1529 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2021 :  22:20:21  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Magic cards, that's it. The "next stop on the journey" could be Dragonlance, or Greyhawk, or Ravenhawk, or the MtG world, or Star Wars (I know not Star Wars but the point is literally the next set of cards could be anything).



If they were referring to a broader multisetting/set journey, they would have had this sentance in the previous set, Modern Horizons 2 or Strixhaven: School of Mages, because Adventures in the Forgotten Realms isn't the beginning of the upcoming MtG journey, no Strixhaven is, its the next MtG set. They were clearly referring in journeys in Faerun specifically.

And a future Star Wars MtG set is very likely btw thannks to the new Universes Beyond product line (which will be starting with Lord of the Rings and Warhammer 40k next year).
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

608 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2021 :  23:15:04  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You leave out that those UA are at odds with Realms lore; the hobgoblins are portrayed as fey, which I don’t think has ever been canon in the setting. Beyond that, their setting book for the year is accounted for, with the Ravenloft release.

Candlekeep Mysteries was the big Realms D&D release of the year.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1529 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  01:12:10  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

You leave out that those UA are at odds with Realms lore; the hobgoblins are portrayed as fey, which I don’t think has ever been canon in the setting. Beyond that, their setting book for the year is accounted for, with the Ravenloft release.

Candlekeep Mysteries was the big Realms D&D release of the year.



You'd be wrong, the Forgotten Realms does have a Feywild Goblinoid Kingdom https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Nachtur .

The Feywild Goblinoid Kingdom of Nachtur invaded part of the Moonshaes hoping to expand its territory to Toril.

And in the UA Hobgoblins are still humanoids (as are the Owlfolk and Rabbitfolk, only the Fairies get the Fey creature type).

And no Candlekeep Mysteries is not the big release for FR this year, the anthologies adventures are intended as training wheels for folks they want as freelancers on bigger future projects. It to give them something to cut their teeth on as it were.

As for the Rabbitfolk and Owlfolk being new to FR, so are Tortles in 5e (which FR stole from Mystara and which Exandia stole from FR in turn), and Dragonborn in 4e (Dragonborn were very different creature in 3e), Goliaths in 3e/4e, Tieflings, Genasi, and Aasimar in 3e (poached from Planescape), ect...

Owlfolk and Rabbitfolk don't exist in any D&D setting (not including Hengyokai which are very different) yet, just like Hexborn and Reborn didn't exist in Ravenloft until now (okay techniquely May when Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft is released). They clearly want to create new races.

I mean they have pretty much hit every major playable FR race by now, published almost all of them already.

They've pubished the most popular races, and some obscure ones Aasimar, Elves, Tieflings, Dwarves, Halflings, Orcs, Half Orcs, Hobgoblins, Goblins, Bugbears, Kobolds, Gnomes, Humans, Genasi, Dragonborn, Firbolgs, Goliaths, Tortles, Tabaxi, Kenku, Purebloods, Locaths, Grunds, Aacrokcra, Half Elves, Lizardfolk, Tritons. Not alot of FR races left, so they turn to the FRs Feywild for space where new races could be.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3162 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  01:21:30  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor



You'd be wrong...


Welcome to Candlekeep where only one person's theories are correct and everyone else is wrong.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
34941 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  02:01:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see why the MtG folks would have anything at all to do with an RPG book.

And I don't see any reason to assume we can expect anything other than more FR MtG cards -- after all, there's a lot of material for them to mine, there.

Sorry, but I think reading anything more into this is just wishful thinking.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

608 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  04:41:28  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5e’s yearly release schedule has been very methodical so far, and I don’t think any of those years have had two setting book releases. They did a 5e Realms setting book - SCAG - and it sold like garbage (because it was pretty bad, but you know the suits don’t see that). Ravenloft is the setting for this year, and I believe they’ve said that we should expect 3 old settings (including Ravenloft) to come back soon; given that promotional materials have teased Spelljammer and Dark Sun, I believe they’re all accounted for.

WotC only cares about money and Realms setting material has sold poorly in two continuous editions; why would they do more?

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3478 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  05:03:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I personally wouldn't care about a new FRCS, and I don't know if people who appreciate the lore of the Realms would benefit from it. Also because we already have designers who actually care that are putting out lore on the DMGuild.

Let's face it, if WotC were to make a 5e FRCS, it'd likely be full of random retcons that trash former lore and characters (look at how they sh*t on Jander Sunstar in Avernus, for absolutely no reason at all, without the author even knowing--she was shocked that they did what they did. It was quite mean spirited, honestly, and it's not the first time for them). Also, some more retcons to Drizzt-fy the drow even more than they already are, because only Drizzt and Lolth can matter (look at Vhaeraun in Mordenkainen, or how they casually erased the Promenade from the face of FR history--like, it never existed--in Mad Mage).

Edited by - Irennan on 19 Mar 2021 05:09:36
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

608 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  05:14:33  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to ask; who is the audience for a new 5e FRCS? The type of fans this place mainly represents haven’t liked almost anything they’ve done with the setting in 13 years, the 4e faithful like me and Zeromaru resent the Second Sundering, and the new fans gathered in 5e are content enough with the current status quo to carry 5e to the highest sales numbers D&D has ever seen.

Why rock the boat, y’know? There’s very little benefit and plenty of risk to doing something big with the Realms, if you think like the mercenary folks who run the show.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

Edited by - keftiu on 19 Mar 2021 05:25:04
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3478 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  05:19:09  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I can definitely agree on that. The audience is way too fragmented for such a book to be appealing to the suits.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
10265 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  12:33:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

I have to ask; who is the audience for a new 5e FRCS? The type of fans this place mainly represents haven’t liked almost anything they’ve done with the setting in 13 years, the 4e faithful like me and Zeromaru resent the Second Sundering, and the new fans gathered in 5e are content enough with the current status quo to carry 5e to the highest sales numbers D&D has ever seen.

Why rock the boat, y’know? There’s very little benefit and plenty of risk to doing something big with the Realms, if you think like the mercenary folks who run the show.



Just out of curiosity, because I hear it quoted often... what's the basis for "highest sales"? Not to knock the statement, I'm just wondering about what its based on? Is it based on money or numbers sold? The two may have very drastic differences on how things are measured. For instance, candlekeep mysteries is priced at $50, which initially I'm seeing it being sold to me at $30 as I look at amazon. A somewhat similar product for roughly the same length in the 3e era would be city of the spider queen which was marked at $30 and I probably would have gotten it for $20 back then (I have to guess since that was about 15 years or so back, so I don't have records, but I know Amazon was always lowering the prices then too). A similar product in the 2e era would probably have cost less but been shorter and only been one adventure or a collection of REALLY short adventures, OR if of equal length would have been boxed with maps or additional adds.... so offhand I find it harder to compare.

But in the end, it seems like there's a 50% increase in price. Now, I understand that "that's going to happen as time occurs". But if monetary income is the measuring stick, its not necessarily a good one. That also being said, 2e was horrible for releasing WAAYY too many products so that NOONE could buy them all. 3e got better, but it was still too much, so that even the hardcore were only buying half the stuff (and I was getting both dragon and dungeon magazines, and while I read every dragon, I still have a most of my dungeon magazines in the wrapper from near the end of 3e). Now its a trickle, so a large number of those that are buying buy everything out of brand loyalty and simple curiosity.

Please understand, I'm not trying to push any edition war here. I'm just always skeptical about these claims that X is the most popular. That being said, I will say over the past 5 years, I have gamed with more younger players than ever before (with many of them being kids introduced to the game by watching their parent read OR people in IT getting in by making friendships with older people in IT).

In fact.... side question... Keftiu and Zero... I'm truly curious, what would you say brought you guys to the game? For myself, I can literally trace my interest in D&D to going to a garage sale of all things when I was about 9 or so and someone was selling the original D&D boxed set for like a quarter.... and mixing that with reading Tolkien and other newer fantasy novels that were seeing a rise at the time.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1529 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  13:00:24  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor



You'd be wrong...


Welcome to Candlekeep where only one person's theories are correct and everyone else is wrong.



Its not a theory FR has Feyeild Hobgoblins, I posted a link to the wiki article which shows its sources.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1529 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  13:02:30  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't see why the MtG folks would have anything at all to do with an RPG book.

And I don't see any reason to assume we can expect anything other than more FR MtG cards -- after all, there's a lot of material for them to mine, there.

Sorry, but I think reading anything more into this is just wishful thinking.



They already have worked together on the two MtG D&D books and both the D&D team and the MtG team worked together on the upcoming FR mtg set.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1529 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  13:07:47  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

5e’s yearly release schedule has been very methodical so far, and I don’t think any of those years have had two setting book releases. They did a 5e Realms setting book - SCAG - and it sold like garbage (because it was pretty bad, but you know the suits don’t see that). Ravenloft is the setting for this year, and I believe they’ve said that we should expect 3 old settings (including Ravenloft) to come back soon; given that promotional materials have teased Spelljammer and Dark Sun, I believe they’re all accounted for.

WotC only cares about money and Realms setting material has sold poorly in two continuous editions; why would they do more?



They have straight up said they are increasing the release rate for D&D, the plan is to double WotCs revenues over a 5 year span.

If WotC didn't think they could sell the Forgotten Realms to the public, they wouldn't be setting their adventures there and all theur video games and comic in FR.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1529 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  13:14:10  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

I have to ask; who is the audience for a new 5e FRCS? The type of fans this place mainly represents haven’t liked almost anything they’ve done with the setting in 13 years, the 4e faithful like me and Zeromaru resent the Second Sundering, and the new fans gathered in 5e are content enough with the current status quo to carry 5e to the highest sales numbers D&D has ever seen.

Why rock the boat, y’know? There’s very little benefit and plenty of risk to doing something big with the Realms, if you think like the mercenary folks who run the show.



There are plenty of fans like me who want an update.

And as to why, the answer is to make money, it will sell, and I think they are hoping to tie it into the upcoming FR MtG set, so the cost of making the book is greatly reduced, because most of the art will already be created in the MtG FR card set (and its quality high end art too).

5e FR fans will buy this book, some curious old school fans will buy the book, folks that just care about the character options will buy the book, folks that just want to pillage it for their home brew settings will buy it, collectors will buy it, and I think they are hoping they can tempt MtG fans into buying it.

Plus I think WotC wants to address the major complaints of 5e FR lacking racial/cultural diversity coming from the woke crowd.

Edited by - Gyor on 19 Mar 2021 13:17:23
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1529 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  13:19:51  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Yeah, I can definitely agree on that. The audience is way too fragmented for such a book to be appealing to the suits.



They are way past the point of needing FR fans who don't like 5e FR, they have tons of new fans and those who came back after the Sundering, with plans to sell it too MtG fans too.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1529 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  13:22:22  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Yeah, I can definitely agree on that. The audience is way too fragmented for such a book to be appealing to the suits.



They are way past the point of needing FR fans who don't like 5e FR, they have tons of new fans and those who came back after the Sundering, with plans to sell it too MtG fans too. Plus they will sell it to those who only want it for the player options and so on.

5e is huge
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1529 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  13:26:06  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

I have to ask; who is the audience for a new 5e FRCS? The type of fans this place mainly represents haven’t liked almost anything they’ve done with the setting in 13 years, the 4e faithful like me and Zeromaru resent the Second Sundering, and the new fans gathered in 5e are content enough with the current status quo to carry 5e to the highest sales numbers D&D has ever seen.

Why rock the boat, y’know? There’s very little benefit and plenty of risk to doing something big with the Realms, if you think like the mercenary folks who run the show.



Just out of curiosity, because I hear it quoted often... what's the basis for "highest sales"? Not to knock the statement, I'm just wondering about what its based on? Is it based on money or numbers sold? The two may have very drastic differences on how things are measured. For instance, candlekeep mysteries is priced at $50, which initially I'm seeing it being sold to me at $30 as I look at amazon. A somewhat similar product for roughly the same length in the 3e era would be city of the spider queen which was marked at $30 and I probably would have gotten it for $20 back then (I have to guess since that was about 15 years or so back, so I don't have records, but I know Amazon was always lowering the prices then too). A similar product in the 2e era would probably have cost less but been shorter and only been one adventure or a collection of REALLY short adventures, OR if of equal length would have been boxed with maps or additional adds.... so offhand I find it harder to compare.

But in the end, it seems like there's a 50% increase in price. Now, I understand that "that's going to happen as time occurs". But if monetary income is the measuring stick, its not necessarily a good one. That also being said, 2e was horrible for releasing WAAYY too many products so that NOONE could buy them all. 3e got better, but it was still too much, so that even the hardcore were only buying half the stuff (and I was getting both dragon and dungeon magazines, and while I read every dragon, I still have a most of my dungeon magazines in the wrapper from near the end of 3e). Now its a trickle, so a large number of those that are buying buy everything out of brand loyalty and simple curiosity.

Please understand, I'm not trying to push any edition war here. I'm just always skeptical about these claims that X is the most popular. That being said, I will say over the past 5 years, I have gamed with more younger players than ever before (with many of them being kids introduced to the game by watching their parent read OR people in IT getting in by making friendships with older people in IT).

In fact.... side question... Keftiu and Zero... I'm truly curious, what would you say brought you guys to the game? For myself, I can literally trace my interest in D&D to going to a garage sale of all things when I was about 9 or so and someone was selling the original D&D boxed set for like a quarter.... and mixing that with reading Tolkien and other newer fantasy novels that were seeing a rise at the time.



WotC has been releasing their sales and growth figures for D&D and MtG and the growth has been massive, even before the Pandemic, but it grew even faster during the pandemic, which is why they are planning on incressung their release rate for both.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
34941 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  15:08:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is it stated they're increasing their release rate?

Also, even if the release rate has been increased, that doesn't mean they're going to break their current pattern of cherry-picking stuff to roughly shove into the Realms, making it an adventure, and adding just a little bit less (possibly mangled) lore than you really need to do anything with it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Mar 2021 15:46:31
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
10265 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  18:34:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

I have to ask; who is the audience for a new 5e FRCS? The type of fans this place mainly represents haven’t liked almost anything they’ve done with the setting in 13 years, the 4e faithful like me and Zeromaru resent the Second Sundering, and the new fans gathered in 5e are content enough with the current status quo to carry 5e to the highest sales numbers D&D has ever seen.

Why rock the boat, y’know? There’s very little benefit and plenty of risk to doing something big with the Realms, if you think like the mercenary folks who run the show.



Just out of curiosity, because I hear it quoted often... what's the basis for "highest sales"? Not to knock the statement, I'm just wondering about what its based on? Is it based on money or numbers sold? The two may have very drastic differences on how things are measured. For instance, candlekeep mysteries is priced at $50, which initially I'm seeing it being sold to me at $30 as I look at amazon. A somewhat similar product for roughly the same length in the 3e era would be city of the spider queen which was marked at $30 and I probably would have gotten it for $20 back then (I have to guess since that was about 15 years or so back, so I don't have records, but I know Amazon was always lowering the prices then too). A similar product in the 2e era would probably have cost less but been shorter and only been one adventure or a collection of REALLY short adventures, OR if of equal length would have been boxed with maps or additional adds.... so offhand I find it harder to compare.

But in the end, it seems like there's a 50% increase in price. Now, I understand that "that's going to happen as time occurs". But if monetary income is the measuring stick, its not necessarily a good one. That also being said, 2e was horrible for releasing WAAYY too many products so that NOONE could buy them all. 3e got better, but it was still too much, so that even the hardcore were only buying half the stuff (and I was getting both dragon and dungeon magazines, and while I read every dragon, I still have a most of my dungeon magazines in the wrapper from near the end of 3e). Now its a trickle, so a large number of those that are buying buy everything out of brand loyalty and simple curiosity.

Please understand, I'm not trying to push any edition war here. I'm just always skeptical about these claims that X is the most popular. That being said, I will say over the past 5 years, I have gamed with more younger players than ever before (with many of them being kids introduced to the game by watching their parent read OR people in IT getting in by making friendships with older people in IT).

In fact.... side question... Keftiu and Zero... I'm truly curious, what would you say brought you guys to the game? For myself, I can literally trace my interest in D&D to going to a garage sale of all things when I was about 9 or so and someone was selling the original D&D boxed set for like a quarter.... and mixing that with reading Tolkien and other newer fantasy novels that were seeing a rise at the time.



WotC has been releasing their sales and growth figures for D&D and MtG and the growth has been massive, even before the Pandemic, but it grew even faster during the pandemic, which is why they are planning on incressung their release rate for both.



That just tells me "the numbers are going up". It doesn't tell me what the numbers are based on. For instance, you can't directly compare money now to money ten or 15 years ago, because costs have gone up. I was basically wondering are they talking numbers of products sold of a given product, products sold per month, or just simply monetary increase. I'm not wanting an answer to be either way, I'm just curious about what the people who fund the industry are actually doing (i.e. are there less people buying but they're specifically buying anything released and the price has increased, or is it actually more people). I wonder things like this, because some young people I played with were just photocopying things like race and class info for their character (just their specific race and class) and then sharing a PHB. Granted, they were first time players and didn't know if they were going to continue gaming, so I kind of get it. It just felt like they were interested in gaming, but not buying product.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
10265 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  18:37:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Where is it stated they're increasing their release rate?

Also, even if the release rate has been increased, that doesn't mean they're going to break their current pattern of cherry-picking stuff to roughly shove into the Realms, making it an adventure, and adding just a little bit less (possibly mangled) lore than you really need to do anything with it.



They announced that like last month. Some folks were talking about it here and at the Piazza. I think it was the same threads where they were talking about WotC taking over digital content (which is odd, given their track record with digital stuff for D&D.... but maybe MtG the video game is doing well... I know they do have some MtG video game anyway).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  19:54:00  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The increased rate of release for D&D RPG products was announced last month at the same time as the restructuring of Hasbro (with WotC taking a more prominent role in the larger company), the extremely good sales year for D&D and MTG, and the initiative to double the size (# of employees) of WotC in the next (I think it was) five years.

There's been a good deal of discussion of it on various RPG/D&D forums.

As for the topic of the thread: I think it's entirely possible that an FR setting book is finally coming as a tie-in to the MTG set. I think that's less likely than it was prior to the announcement of the Ravenloft setting book (would they really do two back-to-back setting books for classic D&D settings? More likely the next setting book will be a MTG setting).

I'd be shocked if they do not release another FR-themed hardcover this summer to go along with the MTG set, but I think another big adventure, or else an adventure anthology strongly set in the Realms, is more likely than a setting guide.

Most likely the "begin our journey in Faerun" simply means they already have more FR or D&D multiverse sets planned for the future.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2021 :  00:14:04  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I just read what happened to Jander (one of my favorite Forgotten Realms characters). What. the. hell. (literally)

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1529 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2021 :  12:55:42  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Daker

The increased rate of release for D&D RPG products was announced last month at the same time as the restructuring of Hasbro (with WotC taking a more prominent role in the larger company), the extremely good sales year for D&D and MTG, and the initiative to double the size (# of employees) of WotC in the next (I think it was) five years.

There's been a good deal of discussion of it on various RPG/D&D forums.

As for the topic of the thread: I think it's entirely possible that an FR setting book is finally coming as a tie-in to the MTG set. I think that's less likely than it was prior to the announcement of the Ravenloft setting book (would they really do two back-to-back setting books for classic D&D settings? More likely the next setting book will be a MTG setting).

I'd be shocked if they do not release another FR-themed hardcover this summer to go along with the MTG set, but I think another big adventure, or else an adventure anthology strongly set in the Realms, is more likely than a setting guide.

Most likely the "begin our journey in Faerun" simply means they already have more FR or D&D multiverse sets planned for the future.



They did two none classic setting books in a row, so yeah I could see them doing two classic settings in a row. They'd done two adventures in a row so they aren't adverse to simular types of books twice in a row.

Plus the FR book will be a MtG crossover book, because there will no doubt be MtG influences on it and in it, at minimium MtG art, but possible creatures/stat block reprints as well.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1529 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2021 :  12:58:11  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

I have to ask; who is the audience for a new 5e FRCS? The type of fans this place mainly represents haven’t liked almost anything they’ve done with the setting in 13 years, the 4e faithful like me and Zeromaru resent the Second Sundering, and the new fans gathered in 5e are content enough with the current status quo to carry 5e to the highest sales numbers D&D has ever seen.

Why rock the boat, y’know? There’s very little benefit and plenty of risk to doing something big with the Realms, if you think like the mercenary folks who run the show.



Just out of curiosity, because I hear it quoted often... what's the basis for "highest sales"? Not to knock the statement, I'm just wondering about what its based on? Is it based on money or numbers sold? The two may have very drastic differences on how things are measured. For instance, candlekeep mysteries is priced at $50, which initially I'm seeing it being sold to me at $30 as I look at amazon. A somewhat similar product for roughly the same length in the 3e era would be city of the spider queen which was marked at $30 and I probably would have gotten it for $20 back then (I have to guess since that was about 15 years or so back, so I don't have records, but I know Amazon was always lowering the prices then too). A similar product in the 2e era would probably have cost less but been shorter and only been one adventure or a collection of REALLY short adventures, OR if of equal length would have been boxed with maps or additional adds.... so offhand I find it harder to compare.

But in the end, it seems like there's a 50% increase in price. Now, I understand that "that's going to happen as time occurs". But if monetary income is the measuring stick, its not necessarily a good one. That also being said, 2e was horrible for releasing WAAYY too many products so that NOONE could buy them all. 3e got better, but it was still too much, so that even the hardcore were only buying half the stuff (and I was getting both dragon and dungeon magazines, and while I read every dragon, I still have a most of my dungeon magazines in the wrapper from near the end of 3e). Now its a trickle, so a large number of those that are buying buy everything out of brand loyalty and simple curiosity.

Please understand, I'm not trying to push any edition war here. I'm just always skeptical about these claims that X is the most popular. That being said, I will say over the past 5 years, I have gamed with more younger players than ever before (with many of them being kids introduced to the game by watching their parent read OR people in IT getting in by making friendships with older people in IT).

In fact.... side question... Keftiu and Zero... I'm truly curious, what would you say brought you guys to the game? For myself, I can literally trace my interest in D&D to going to a garage sale of all things when I was about 9 or so and someone was selling the original D&D boxed set for like a quarter.... and mixing that with reading Tolkien and other newer fantasy novels that were seeing a rise at the time.



WotC has been releasing their sales and growth figures for D&D and MtG and the growth has been massive, even before the Pandemic, but it grew even faster during the pandemic, which is why they are planning on incressung their release rate for both.



That just tells me "the numbers are going up". It doesn't tell me what the numbers are based on. For instance, you can't directly compare money now to money ten or 15 years ago, because costs have gone up. I was basically wondering are they talking numbers of products sold of a given product, products sold per month, or just simply monetary increase. I'm not wanting an answer to be either way, I'm just curious about what the people who fund the industry are actually doing (i.e. are there less people buying but they're specifically buying anything released and the price has increased, or is it actually more people). I wonder things like this, because some young people I played with were just photocopying things like race and class info for their character (just their specific race and class) and then sharing a PHB. Granted, they were first time players and didn't know if they were going to continue gaming, so I kind of get it. It just felt like they were interested in gaming, but not buying product.



Its enough money being made that they are hiring more people and investing in D&D.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2021 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000