Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Settlements In The Dragon Coast
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AmaunatorFan
Acolyte

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  09:02:20  Show Profile  Visit AmaunatorFan's Homepage Send AmaunatorFan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My party is currently heading to Westgate for an adventure and looking at a map of the Dragon Coast I noticed that the area east of the Giant's Run Mountains and south of Reddansyr looks empty, are there any settlements there or is it all wilderness

Thanks

p.s.

the map we have been using: https://64.media.tumblr.com/111f47d62d274b6e0680a5a3c293b289/ae2bbf29729eb0e3-6a/s2048x3072/5eb8a5429484fa39993880fc5e51f0022bd43e3a.jpg

Eldritch Knight For Life

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  15:07:23  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Gulthmere Forest is a Druid enclave. The city of Nathlekh is a city of cat lycanthropes. They are ruled by a council called the Cat Lords. They do allow visitors to the city, but you must stay in the foreign district. The Giant's Run Mountains have goblins and ogres that may cause you problems. Also an emerald dragon has a lair in those mountains. The dragon's name is Behrshimmer, and is known to have some sort of alliance with Dove Falconhand.

Have a good adventure!

Edited by - ElfBane on 30 Nov 2020 15:08:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  20:27:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AmaunatorFan

My party is currently heading to Westgate for an adventure and looking at a map of the Dragon Coast I noticed that the area east of the Giant's Run Mountains and south of Reddansyr looks empty, are there any settlements there or is it all wilderness

Thanks

p.s.

the map we have been using: https://64.media.tumblr.com/111f47d62d274b6e0680a5a3c293b289/ae2bbf29729eb0e3-6a/s2048x3072/5eb8a5429484fa39993880fc5e51f0022bd43e3a.jpg

Short version: if there's an empty spot on the map, and nothing in print says "there is nothing here" then you can assume there are small communities here and there -- they're just too small to show on the map.

Keep in mind, though, that a community needs local resources and/or access to trade, for them to be able to live and some reason, like particularly worthy resources (gold, very rich soil, a handy ford, etc), access to trade routes, and/or security, for the community to have been sited there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Nov 2020 20:28:09
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  21:39:18  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte AmauntorFan,

Also, there are three Heralds in that region. I sometimes like to incorporate their offices if it is storyline relevant. They are (Power of Faerun, p.106):

• Purple Halberd (Elversult)
  • Sundazzle (Teziir)
  • Flailchains (Westgate)

The local heralds specifically, as those just identified, can be pretty great adventurer incorporating individuals. :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  23:36:34  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dragon Coast only gets a slight write up in every edition. You can find a couple paragraphs in the 2E, 3E and 4E campaign books.

Generally, it's a wild "pirate like" area. Thinking of the Dragon Coast as a gathering of thieves and vultures is slightly off the mark. To think of the natives of the region as intermediaries and facilitators, people who make things happen, is much more accurate. Everyone has a price, it is said,but the price is more reasonable in the Dragon Coast.

Not all natives of the Dragon Coast are grasping, greedy manipulators and confidence beings. The ruler of Elversult has struggled to make a city worthy of the respect of its citizens, and fair merchants and good mercenary companies live in the land.They are just extremely outnumbered by the rest of the cynical society of the Dragon Coast.

There is this Dragon Coast thread:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8699

The FR Wiki has a slightly better map at :

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dragonmere
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  00:34:06  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe bloodtide_the_red,

Great way of putting it. It is exactly why it is such a great place to adventure. You have certain rulers trying to influence one way or another for a "better" life for their folk, then you have other influencers in the area, perhaps from Darkhold, that try to steer it another way in trying to control trade for the Zhentarim, etc.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

AmaunatorFan
Acolyte

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  05:13:16  Show Profile  Visit AmaunatorFan's Homepage Send AmaunatorFan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, lots of useful replies

Eldritch Knight For Life
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  05:21:10  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte AmauntorFan,

No sweat! Glad to help. :)

Out of curiosity, what is the general idea behind your campaign?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

AmaunatorFan
Acolyte

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  06:20:58  Show Profile  Visit AmaunatorFan's Homepage Send AmaunatorFan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Out of curiosity, what is the general idea behind your campaign?

Of course

Our DM wanted to do the Forge of Fury, with his own twist. So we are starting in Westgate to meet the sponsor of the expedition, and then travelling into the Giant's Run Mountains to find the Forge. (I assume it's a forge anyway going by the name)

Eldritch Knight For Life

Edited by - AmaunatorFan on 01 Dec 2020 06:22:39
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  06:29:51  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte AmaunatorFan,

Ahhh, nice! Well, I think my earlier posited ideas were the worst ones then, to be perfectly fair. haha

You should put your campaign journal entries into the Candlekeep journal forum! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

AmaunatorFan
Acolyte

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  08:04:38  Show Profile  Visit AmaunatorFan's Homepage Send AmaunatorFan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Acolyte AmaunatorFan,

Ahhh, nice! Well, I think my earlier posited ideas were the worst ones then, to be perfectly fair. haha

You should put your campaign journal entries into the Candlekeep journal forum! :)

Best regards,

no sweat at all, our group mostly got into dnd fairly recently, so I'm always up to be told more about new groups/orgs in the realms

Eldritch Knight For Life
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  11:53:45  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AmaunatorFan

I'm currently researching something of my own and stumbled over this.

"The Followers of the Purple Staff are a group of divine spellcasters trying to create a benign theocracy in the eastern part of the Dragon Coast. These clerics carry a great deal of political power within the borders of the so-called 'Holy Realm' and use their magic to aid the citizens of their new land." (Champions of Valor, p 47)

This is in The Year of Lightning Storms (1374) so depending on what date your campaign is set to might not be relevant. Also the area you asked about is more in the central part of the Dragon Coast than the eastern, so that might not be relevant either. Still might be interesting to look into.

EDIT: More info on the organisation on page 80 of Champions of Valor.

On the other hand you have different fingers.

Edited by - Returnip on 01 Dec 2020 17:52:03
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2020 :  19:07:59  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte AmaunatorFan,

Well, if I might make a suggestion: get your players to sign up with an account here and start diving deep into the lore! :) This site is fantastic, and it's all about the community in the Realms! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

AmaunatorFan
Acolyte

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2020 :  16:03:42  Show Profile  Visit AmaunatorFan's Homepage Send AmaunatorFan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, if I might make a suggestion: get your players to sign up with an account here and start diving deep into the lore! :) This site is fantastic, and it's all about the community in the Realms! :)

good shout actually

Eldritch Knight For Life
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000