Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 NPC names: mundane versus exotic?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2022 :  03:29:19  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

I must say that I am pleasantly surprised at the reception thus far. So...there IS a place for punny names in a generally serious tabletop gaming campaign as long as they require some effort to "unpack" and/or sound simultaneously natural?

To be honest, I don't like it. But to each his own, and all that... And I can still participate in a thought exercise about something, even if I don't like it.

Well, think on this: going by the law of averages, you yourself have likely come across a punny name and didn't "get" it because the reference was obscure.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2022 :  04:53:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, think on this: going by the law of averages, you yourself have likely come across a punny name and didn't "get" it because the reference was obscure.

It's likely. It took me a while to catch the name Bistro Battenrooj.

Really, it's all about whether or not the pun or reference draws attention to itself.

I've an author friend who dropped a reference to an inside joke in one of her novels. Even knowing it's there (I suggested it, somewhat in jest), it's still barely noticeable. Maybe two dozen people would get the reference.

Something like the Scarlet Marpenoth, though? That doesn't just draw attention to itself, it's got a huge sign pointing to it saying "POP CULTURE REFERENCE HERE!!!" Even if you don't get the joke, it's still drawing attention to itself, by how out-of-place it is.

But then again, that's all my personal opinion. Piers Anthony is proof that some people love the puns and such in their fantasy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2022 :  01:04:05  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Something like the Scarlet Marpenoth, though? That doesn't just draw attention to itself, it's got a huge sign pointing to it saying "POP CULTURE REFERENCE HERE!!!" Even if you don't get the joke, it's still drawing attention to itself, by how out-of-place it is.

This is the second time (at least) that you've dropped that name; should I be concerned that I am either too dense or too much of a philistine to comprehend its true meaning ?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2022 :  02:16:17  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

This is the second time (at least) that you've dropped that name; should I be concerned that I am either too dense or too much of a philistine to comprehend its true meaning ?

It's a reference to The Hunt for Red October, a John Clancy novel. Scarlet is a shade of red, and Marpenoth is the 10th month of the Harptos calendar. "Red October" is the name of a submarine in the Clancy novel, and the Scarlet Marpenoth, which appears in Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, is also a submarine of sorts.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2022 :  03:56:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

It's a reference to The Hunt for Red October, a John Clancy novel. Scarlet is a shade of red, and Marpenoth is the 10th month of the Harptos calendar. "Red October" is the name of a submarine in the Clancy novel, and the Scarlet Marpenoth, which appears in Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, is also a submarine of sorts.

Tom Clancy, actually, but otherwise correct. They also made a movie of it, with Alec Baldwin, James Earl Jones, and Sean Connery as Captain Marko Ramius. I don't recall being particularly impressed by the movie, but the book is one I'd highly recommend.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2022 :  07:26:29  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Noooooooooooooooooooooo. Why did you spoil the illusion? What is now seen cannot be unseen.

Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2022 :  13:31:02  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a fan of the random generators out there whenever I get stuck on naming people. As for earlier comments about seeing a name and not realizing it was a real Terran name, I used to thumb through phone books (kids, those were real at one time!) and see last names of people that would make terrific names for characters and NPCs. Since phone books have become extinct, I resort to online generators or simple programs (Everchanging book of names, for one, which amazingly, still functions under Windows 10 without an emulator).

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2022 :  16:07:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Varl

I'm a fan of the random generators out there whenever I get stuck on naming people. As for earlier comments about seeing a name and not realizing it was a real Terran name, I used to thumb through phone books (kids, those were real at one time!) and see last names of people that would make terrific names for characters and NPCs. Since phone books have become extinct, I resort to online generators or simple programs (Everchanging book of names, for one, which amazingly, still functions under Windows 10 without an emulator).

A friend and I were at IKEA, once, noticing the names of things there could be used for D&D characters.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2022 :  19:20:53  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is certainly possible that you just sparked off a market for used phone books .

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2022 :  00:58:31  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found three more Simons.

* Simon Stonebreaker (a Dwarf ) in the Shadowdale supplement of the AD&D 2e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Box Set.
* Simon Thrithyn in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep.
* Simon Dessino in both The Vilhon Reach and the 3e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

It ought to be noted that Ed Greenwood was involved with three out of the four above products and he alone wrote Volo's Guide to Waterdeep.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2022 :  10:17:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

* Simon Stonebreaker (a Dwarf ) in the Shadowdale supplement of the AD&D 2e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Box Set.
* Simon Dessino in both The Vilhon Reach and the 3e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

It ought to be noted that Ed Greenwood was involved with three out of the four above products and he alone wrote Volo's Guide to Waterdeep.

In the Realms it might be Si-mon as opposed to Sigh-mon.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2022 :  14:46:44  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

-- George Krashos

Having grown up in a multicultural environment, I have heard it pronounced both ways so that would be a mundane name in my experience.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2022 :  17:15:50  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

In The Forgotten Realms, are there canonical examples of grammatically identical "Earth names" that possess alternative pronunciations?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2022 :  18:28:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

A friend and I were at IKEA, once, noticing the names of things there could be used for D&D characters.

While the gazebo is a well known demon, a pergola is much less well known, but infinitely more dangerous. But you should really fear a pagoda.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2022 :  22:35:57  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many waves is the name "Ambrosia" likely to create in the Realms? I was contemplating giving a demihuman NPC a surname that includes "Ambrosia" as part of its construction. However, the word itself is of real-world Greek origin, so...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2022 :  01:21:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How many waves is the name "Ambrosia" likely to create in the Realms? I was contemplating giving a demihuman NPC a surname that includes "Ambrosia" as part of its construction. However, the word itself is of real-world Greek origin, so...

In-setting, no one would blink.

For the players, your milage may vary. The word is likely to be at least somewhat familiar to a lot of gamers, so it comes down to their individual opinions on real-world names and such, in game.

I, personally, wouldn't be overly keen on it, but it wouldn't be the worst thing I've seen.

Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2022 :  01:37:56  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don’t see any issue with using it, and I am fairly deeply immersed in Greek mythology. My reaction also may not be the reaction of most, of course.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2022 :  20:42:33  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are three canon references in the Realms: Canticle, Prince of Lies and the Baldur's Gate CRPG (albeit one made by a mad character, but...). Anyhow, back in AD&D 2e, if you go by the Planescape lore, then - funnily enough - both the Seldarine and Olympians share the same outer plane; it is not exactly impossible that the former group tried ambrosia at some point.

I considered "mead", but mead overall comes across as more prosaic and less fantastic.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2022 :  00:50:24  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The worst example I can think of is Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series, which includes a character named Lord Kevin. I mean really, Lord Kevin? "Kevin" is a name that brings to mind people you know at work and at school, not heroic, Arthurian kings.

There was a "Kevan" in Game of Thrones. No bueno?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2022 :  01:34:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The worst example I can think of is Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series, which includes a character named Lord Kevin. I mean really, Lord Kevin? "Kevin" is a name that brings to mind people you know at work and at school, not heroic, Arthurian kings.

The Game of Thrones series also has characters named after Muppets. Kermit Tully was the brother of Oscar Tully; their father was Elmo and their great-grandfather was Grover.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2022 :  02:09:36  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

The Game of Thrones series also has characters named after Muppets. Kermit Tully was the brother of Oscar Tully; their father was Elmo and their great-grandfather was Grover.

Is that band of eccentric characters exclusive to the novels ? Out of sheer curiosity, I watched the live-action adaptation in its entirety with someone else (an individual similarly uninitiated); I intend to never sit through it again. Anyhow, if there was a Kermit the Frog or the trashcan guy on the TV show, they must have been chilling in the background.

By the way, this tangent was started because I remember thinking to myself "Kevin? That is an exceedingly plain name for a man of his station.". After conducting minimal research (as in, visiting the first website that popped up), I learned that George apparently pulled the old "vowel switcheroo" on Tywin's brother.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2022 :  03:51:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

By the way, this tangent was started because I remember thinking to myself "Kevin? That is an exceedingly plain name for a man of his station.". After conducting minimal research (as in, visiting the first website that popped up), I learned that George apparently pulled the old "vowel switcheroo" on Tywin's brother.

A vowel switch can make for a new fantasy name, but it has to be something with a noticeably different sound. Kevin and Kevan aren't all that different, unless you're putting emphasis on the second syllable. Kovon might work, or Kuvan...

Changing a consonant works better, though, in my opinion. Jevan has much more of a fantasy sound than Kevan. I've mentioned Jevicca, before, from the Ptolus campaign. You could do Daven instead of David, Arex instead of Alex... So many possibilities, with just a letter or two.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2022 :  10:22:38  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Kidnapped (TSR 9590), I found a "Mikhail" (an eight year-old boy), a "Ben" (1st-level Fighter), a "Hiram" (11th-level Thief...and an alias), a "William Hill" (5th-level Fighter), another "Clive" (4th-level Thief), another "Bartholomew"/"Bartholomew Biggs" (7th-level Fighter), an "Oscar" (3rd-level Thief) and a "Max" (4th-level Fighter). Yes, all of these NPCs are Human.

Also, in that same supplement, there is a Halfling (2nd-level Fighter) by the name of "Winslow".

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2022 :  15:45:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugh, that's bad.

Upon reflection... I guess you can use the known connections between Earth and the Realms to explain the odd Earth or Earth-similar name. But I'd expect those names to be like non-PHB races: you might find one here or there, but the odds of finding multiple ones, all in the same place, should be astronomically low.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2022 :  01:07:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In Kidnapped (TSR 9590), I found a "Mikhail" (an eight year-old boy), a "Ben" (1st-level Fighter), a "Hiram" (11th-level Thief...and an alias), a "William Hill" (5th-level Fighter), another "Clive" (4th-level Thief), another "Bartholomew"/"Bartholomew Biggs" (7th-level Fighter), an "Oscar" (3rd-level Thief) and a "Max" (4th-level Fighter). Yes, all of these NPCs are Human.

Also, in that same supplement, there is a Halfling (2nd-level Fighter) by the name of "Winslow".

Kidnapped is a child of the RPGA where fan content was lauded - and clearly not vetted and edited for Realms-fit. The Living City stuff is notorious for bad puns, RW names and allowing amateur fans to flex their somewhat random creative skills. The results, as with all such things, were variable.

And please, I lump myself in the amateur fans category. But I have had the significant benefit of better mentors and tougher critics that what other individuals had back in the day. And even then, I look at some of the stuff I've done and cringe from time to time.

But to hold to the theme of this thread, I can't stress enough that names are important. Super important. Think up, beg, borrow or steal good ones and you have a solid platform for your stuff.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2022 :  03:11:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Kidnapped is a child of the RPGA where fan content was lauded - and clearly not vetted and edited for Realms-fit. The Living City stuff is notorious for bad puns, RW names and allowing amateur fans to flex their somewhat random creative skills. The results, as with all such things, were variable.

Lord Mayor Charles Oliver O'Kane. 'Nuff said.

quote:

And please, I lump myself in the amateur fans category. But I have had the significant benefit of better mentors and tougher critics that what other individuals had back in the day. And even then, I look at some of the stuff I've done and cringe from time to time.

I wouldn't call you an amateur fan -- some of your stuff is easily better than the stuff published by the so-called professionals.

I think it all comes down to whether or not a person is willing to make their creation fit the setting. Doesn't matter if it's a magical item or a bit of lore or an NPC -- if a person takes the time and effort to make sure something matches the flavor of the setting, and doesn't break existing canon, then they're not an amateur.

A true amateur just shoves their creation in, wherever they feel like dropping it, without regards to anything else. This is how we got Lord Mayor Charles Oliver O'Kane or the Scarlet Marpenoth or Ras Nsi somehow becoming a yuan-ti necromancer. It doesn't matter if they're paid or not, anyone who does that is an amateur.

Some of us here would be journeymen, I think. We're not professionals, but we're trying to follow in the footsteps of the masters. Some of us are further along that path than others -- and I would certainly say that you're closer to mastery than many of the other folks here.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2022 :  05:05:44  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Portmanteaus/compound names fashioned from extant real-world names, anyone? There are those which are so obvious that you can easily rule them out right off the bat (e.g., Fitzpatrick or Carmichael), but how about combinations that either don't exist or are rare?

Would Carasandra/Karasandra (Cara + Sandra / Kara + Sandra) or maybe Sandracara (Sandra + Cara) be incongruent among inhabitants of The Realms? Jimtim? Jimmitim?

quote:

I guess you can use the known connections between Earth and the Realms to explain the odd Earth or Earth-similar name. But I'd expect those names to be like non-PHB races: you might find one here or there, but the odds of finding multiple ones, all in the same place, should be astronomically low.

As you decrease the number of syllables in a name, you increase the chance that someone in The Realms - human or otherwise - has coined that name.

"Ed", "Al", "Kerr" and the like are not exactly complicated monikers. Odd though it may be and detestable though it may be, there very well could be a Half-Orc tough named "Jak".

quote:

Do you recommend writing off the entirety of RPGA material?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2022 :  15:37:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do you recommend writing off the entirety of RPGA material?

No, and Ed did as best he could in the City of Ravens Bluff accessory to tidy it up, but I would be loathe to feature it in my campaign in entirety - without suitable tweaking.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2022 :  15:59:39  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found, when I needed it, that the RPGA stuff makes a fine springboard once it is tweaked a bit to fit my version of the Realms. Of course, the same thing can be said about just about anything else that has come out. It is just that some stuff needs more fine tuning than others.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2022 :  04:25:25  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The present (i.e., 5e) monarch of Tethyr is one "Anais Rhindaun". "Anais" is a name of French origin. Keep in mind that this is Tethyr we are talking about; it's not exactly a backwater Podunk town that tends to be glossed over.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000