Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Establishing a Red Wizards Enclave
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  14:49:04  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm working on a campaign set in Sembia and on the Dragon Coast.

As part of this and largely as a background element to start with I want to set up a Red Wizard Enclave in and around Selgaunt.

I've read the stuff in Lords of Darkness, but can anyone suggest any links or advice on how to play out setting one up?

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  15:15:18  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont have it with me at the moment but I believe theres some material in the old Spellbound boxed set.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  06:55:39  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have the Spellbound boxed set, so would anyone be willing to provide a summary of the information contained within about trade enclaves?.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  02:45:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to look into those details contained within the Spellbound boxed set.

If you like, I can provide a short summary here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jacinth Greyfox
Acolyte

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  11:19:41  Show Profile  Visit Jacinth Greyfox's Homepage Send Jacinth Greyfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whats the deal, i presumed setting up an Enclave was a simple matter of the Red Wizard that wants to set up the Enclave approaching the local Powers That Be and striking a mutually benefical deal?

What more is there to it?

The Throne or the Tomb!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  14:48:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if the 'Powers That Be' don't want Red Wizards conducting 'business' in their pleasant little town? What then?.

It's not as simple as that, there needs to be some definite guidelines and rules established for this kind of campaign element.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  20:58:20  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I don't see an enclave having an easy time setting up shop. Sembia is ruled by its merchant families. They simply do not welcome foreign competition. However, I would imagine many of the various merchant families would welcome the opportunity to be given an exclusive deal to market items of red wizard manufacture.

You may want to consider the possibility that one family has done so in your campaign. Red Wizards are currently lodged by this family somewhere in town and their items are being sold in the family stores.

Of course, to Sembians, dealing with Thay is distasteful, but having a monopoly on dealing with Thay is simply reprehensible. I'm sure many of the other families would attempt to take the moral high ground and discredit this family and work to break up their arrangement with the red wizards. In the meantime, attempting to forge their own contracts with the wizards.

Sarta

Edited by - Sarta on 08 May 2004 20:59:10
Go to Top of Page

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  12:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, even just following the stuff in FR Advs on Selgaunt there was a Red Wizard in place trading and looking to increase influence. I'm establishing the enclave from this base - a well known local resident helping the Red Wizards by directing them to talk to the right people etc etc. It's all being done based on backhanders and that's why I was after the guidance on making this as troublesome as possible and liable to as much disruption as possible.

It's also playing off worries about the increasing influence the Temple of Oghma is having on the area. I've increased this tension through introducing some elements of Arcana Unearthed (the Akashics and True Name ceremonies) as stemming from Oghman practices.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000