Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Aearee and Aaqa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2020 :  19:57:28  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Something Sleyvas said in another post, and a quick poring through of the aarakocra entry in the Monster Manual got me wondering how to handle the new aarakocra background being so closely tied to the Wind Dukes of Aaqa, yet here in the Realms we have them tied to the Aearee.

Now I know I could just shelve the Aaqa lore as for Oerth only but I think it could be explained away. After all the ancient battle of chaos and law is a multiversal story.

Perhaps it was the Aearee back then and not the aarakocra?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11700 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  01:41:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not following exactly, are you saying you might want to make a story where the Wind Dukes of Aaqa were Aearee? Does this have to do with the statements I made about possibly having the Aearee still trapped on one of the far western island/continents to the west of Anchorome and using Aarakocra's as remote servants?

Since we're talking about the Aearee, what the hell, I'll throw out some of the theories that have crossed my mind over time and we can see what we like and don't like

The Aearee that came to Toril were on Coliar. Something happened which destroyed Coliar (possibly a giant blast of energy caused by dragons or primordials at the Hill of Seven Lost Gods, but that's not necessary). When Coliar was destroyed this caused the fabled darkening of the sun (the shadow epoch) prior to the rise of the Sarrukh during the Days of Thunder. A neutral form of dragonkind (possibly with feathers to make the Coliar dragons more different and/or possibly Lung dragons as well) rose up to rule the remaining aarakocra on Coliar, and these neutral dragons when they turn very old can become "air dragons" that can fly through wildspace.

Somehow or other lizard folk came from Toril to Coliar. Possibly the Sarrukh had begun to study the universe. Possibly the lizard folk were brought back as servants/slaves. These lizard folk might actually have many different forms than just "lizard folk" and in fact may also include dragonborn.

The Aearee turned many earth islands of Coliar into essentially spelljamming vessels and came to Toril. Initially they settled on the island/continent off the western coast of Merrobouros in the silver sea near Mhairshaulk. Possibly even that island/continent IS a piece of Coliar (and quite possibly isn't even in the water). This place may have been known as Myrmidune. My homebrew: Several dozen smaller earth islands settled in the sky above the western coastland of Katashaka, and these will be what becomes the Wakanari Highlands.

There are multiple types of couatl in the world including the Lopangan Winged Firecobra that can be traced back to the aearee.

The Aearee have ties to the dragons of Coliar or may BE the dragons of Coliar. NOTE: I know the Wind Dukes of Aaqa are the Vaati. The Wind Dukes of Aaqa are notedly lawful though whereas the dragons of Coliar are notedly neutral.

Within the past ten years SOMEONE (the Aearee?) enacted a ritual that POSSIBLY involved a sacrifice of avariels which transformed the aarakocra race into a new form (one which has both wings and arms). Most people, since they have no contact with aarakocra, don't speak of this change, however sages who have had contact inexplicably seem to "not notice" the sudden change and seem to believe its always been this way. Since this change, relationships between avariel and aarakocra have been more stressed.

The avariels are a creation of the Aearee, as an experiment on elves by the aearee. Some of these avariels may have gone on to the world of Mystara, possibly with some aearee, and they survived and have become known as an aberration of the name aearee (the Ee'arr).

It was the Aearee which aided avariels in creating the mythal which affected the King Killer Star comet. Possibly this comet was a portion of Coliar. Some suspect that it was even a part of a large rock which hurled into Coliar and shattered it.

Another idea that literally JUST popped in my head revolves around the idea of the Celestial Bureaucracy and the Wind Dukes of Aaqa possibly being similar, with the Wind Dukes occupying the spirit world above Kara-Tur. Since they are so highly lawful with draconic servants in the form of lung dragons. Not sure how to make that work with some of the above, but things are worht perusing.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  02:14:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Something Sleyvas said in another post, and a quick poring through of the aarakocra entry in the Monster Manual got me wondering how to handle the new aarakocra background being so closely tied to the Wind Dukes of Aaqa, yet here in the Realms we have them tied to the Aearee.

Now I know I could just shelve the Aaqa lore as for Oerth only but I think it could be explained away. After all the ancient battle of chaos and law is a multiversal story.

I'm not familiar with this new Wind Dukes of Aaqa angle... But perhaps the Aearee were created by and/or agents of the Wind Dukes?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  02:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Not following exactly, are you saying you might want to make a story where the Wind Dukes of Aaqa were Aearee? Does this have to do with the statements I made about possibly having the Aearee still trapped on one of the far western island/continents to the west of Anchorome and using Aarakocra's as remote servants?

Since we're talking about the Aearee, what the hell, I'll throw out some of the theories that have crossed my mind over time and we can see what we like and don't like

The Aearee that came to Toril were on Coliar. Something happened which destroyed Coliar (possibly a giant blast of energy caused by dragons or primordials at the Hill of Seven Lost Gods, but that's not necessary). When Coliar was destroyed this caused the fabled darkening of the sun (the shadow epoch) prior to the rise of the Sarrukh during the Days of Thunder. A neutral form of dragonkind (possibly with feathers to make the Coliar dragons more different and/or possibly Lung dragons as well) rose up to rule the remaining aarakocra on Coliar, and these neutral dragons when they turn very old can become "air dragons" that can fly through wildspace.

Somehow or other lizard folk came from Toril to Coliar. Possibly the Sarrukh had begun to study the universe. Possibly the lizard folk were brought back as servants/slaves. These lizard folk might actually have many different forms than just "lizard folk" and in fact may also include dragonborn.

The Aearee turned many earth islands of Coliar into essentially spelljamming vessels and came to Toril. Initially they settled on the island/continent off the western coast of Merrobouros in the silver sea near Mhairshaulk. Possibly even that island/continent IS a piece of Coliar (and quite possibly isn't even in the water). This place may have been known as Myrmidune. My homebrew: Several dozen smaller earth islands settled in the sky above the western coastland of Katashaka, and these will be what becomes the Wakanari Highlands.

There are multiple types of couatl in the world including the Lopangan Winged Firecobra that can be traced back to the aearee.

The Aearee have ties to the dragons of Coliar or may BE the dragons of Coliar. NOTE: I know the Wind Dukes of Aaqa are the Vaati. The Wind Dukes of Aaqa are notedly lawful though whereas the dragons of Coliar are notedly neutral.

Within the past ten years SOMEONE (the Aearee?) enacted a ritual that POSSIBLY involved a sacrifice of avariels which transformed the aarakocra race into a new form (one which has both wings and arms). Most people, since they have no contact with aarakocra, don't speak of this change, however sages who have had contact inexplicably seem to "not notice" the sudden change and seem to believe its always been this way. Since this change, relationships between avariel and aarakocra have been more stressed.

The avariels are a creation of the Aearee, as an experiment on elves by the aearee. Some of these avariels may have gone on to the world of Mystara, possibly with some aearee, and they survived and have become known as an aberration of the name aearee (the Ee'arr).

It was the Aearee which aided avariels in creating the mythal which affected the King Killer Star comet. Possibly this comet was a portion of Coliar. Some suspect that it was even a part of a large rock which hurled into Coliar and shattered it.

Another idea that literally JUST popped in my head revolves around the idea of the Celestial Bureaucracy and the Wind Dukes of Aaqa possibly being similar, with the Wind Dukes occupying the spirit world above Kara-Tur. Since they are so highly lawful with draconic servants in the form of lung dragons. Not sure how to make that work with some of the above, but things are worht perusing.

Well, to be honest I just checked over the aarakocra entry a little more closely and I had some misunderstandings, but not much - there is still material I am confused about.

Essentially it tied the aarakocra heavily to the vaati Wind Dukes of Aaqa. Weirdly in fact, almost the whole write up on the aarakocra was about that Wind Duke story and Miska and such that we've all heard a 1000 times. I am really confused as to how the aarakocra suddenly became so connected to this event.

What I thought though was that they were saying the Wind Dukes created the aarakocra as guardians, but it doesn't explicitly say that, the vaati just "use them" as guardians. I find it a weird bit of lore, as do I their new look predominantly being eagle vs parrot.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  02:36:23  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, is ot the easy answer just to have two groups or even two subraces? The Aearee and Vaati are separate races, and all we really know is the Aearee created or became the aarakocra "long ago". The time line puts the fall of the Aearee empire at about -30,000 DR, and the Battle on the Plains of Pesh were just a bit before that in -31,000 DR. There is plenty of time, 10,000 years for a couple of Wind Dukes of Aaqa to come to Toril. And we know that mostly one group of aearee, the Aearee-Krocaa ore the ones that fled west to Maztica and such lands. The only other aearee type mentioned is the Aearee-Syran, but you'd guess there might be a couple more.

The first mention of history for Aarakocra is in 418 DR, following generations of travel between Maztica and the islands of the Trackless Sea, the first aarakocra colonists successfully crossed to northern Faerūn. But there is a huge gap of some 30,500 years when the aarakocra first came around.

So basically some aarakocra have some history to the Wind Dukes....but not all of them. It's one background of many.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  04:13:33  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I'm not familiar with this new Wind Dukes of Aaqa angle... But perhaps the Aearee were created by and/or agents of the Wind Dukes?

I think that might be a way to go. I can't believe how much classic monster lore was tossed out in the MM - moreso than other products almost as a throwaway. I'm not a complainer, and this bothered me.

quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

Well, is ot the easy answer just to have two groups or even two subraces? The Aearee and Vaati are separate races, and all we really know is the Aearee created or became the aarakocra "long ago". The time line puts the fall of the Aearee empire at about -30,000 DR, and the Battle on the Plains of Pesh were just a bit before that in -31,000 DR. There is plenty of time, 10,000 years for a couple of Wind Dukes of Aaqa to come to Toril. And we know that mostly one group of aearee, the Aearee-Krocaa ore the ones that fled west to Maztica and such lands. The only other aearee type mentioned is the Aearee-Syran, but you'd guess there might be a couple more.

The first mention of history for Aarakocra is in 418 DR, following generations of travel between Maztica and the islands of the Trackless Sea, the first aarakocra colonists successfully crossed to northern Faer#363;n. But there is a huge gap of some 30,500 years when the aarakocra first came around.

So basically some aarakocra have some history to the Wind Dukes....but not all of them. It's one background of many.

That could certainly work. I didn't know that was the date for the battle of Pesh, thank you.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 28 Sep 2020 04:15:19
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11700 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  15:10:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where do we get a rough date for the battle of Pesh from? Just wondering how it was derived in comparison to dalereckoning.

On the Wind Dukes of Aaqa / Vaati just including a link for anyone else joining the conversation
http://www.mojobob.com/roleplay/monstrousmanual/v/vaati.html

So, they were ebony skinned/white eyed/velvety black haired statuesque beings that were 7 feet tall, muscular/athletic and human like but androgynous. They also were more long lived than elves and described as immortal. They were "elemental lords" (Lesser Primordials?) who were extremely lawful who were bound in a war with the forces of chaos (seemingly tanar'ri/obyriths). They spanned worlds and during their war with the Queen of Chaos many of their worlds were destroyed.

So, since we need some worlds that were destroyed, perhaps the Vaati were once on Coliar and Coliar is one of their destroyed worlds. Perhaps its some power of the Vaati that keeps Coliar "together" as an "air world". Perhaps the Coliar dragons are so patently neutral now as a result of what they perceive as folly in the war of law and chaos.

We have a Circle of Order (revolving around the elements of water, "lands", fire, curiously missing air) and that appears in the Utter East that vies with a turncoat of their number who is a "Lord of Chaos" who takes the name Tartyron. Perhaps this Circle of Order and the Serene Ones of the Utter East from the city of Langdarma are related somehow to the Vaati.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Langdarma

Personally, I like the idea of the Aearee having both draconic/reptilian and avian characteristics and less of a human look like the Vaati have. This might even vary between the colonies of Aearee and the time period involved, because near the fall of the Aearee, they appear to be infiltrated by dragons. So perhaps some, as a result of draconic breeding, begin to take on a more draconic look. I personally like the idea of them appearing more like the "Skeksis" of the Crystal Shard, but not necessarily so "evil" and "black" looking. So, perhaps like the skeksis they vary in look, but with a long reptilian/crocodilian tail and wings and clawed hands and feet that resembles talons. Their feathers might vary in coloration as well as their scale colorations, and their heads might be vulture-like or OTHER bird like (so raven-like, eagle-like, parrot-like, peacock-like, ibis-like, etc..). They might also have featherless crests like you see on dragons where other beings have ears (you see this on a lot of dragons where there's like 3 or 4 spines with skin stretched between them). We know that the Aeree-Krocaa colony of Viakoo gets into conflict shortly afterward with Lammasu for some reason. Perhaps this has to do with the creation of dragonnes from Lammasu, since dragonnes are noted in Maztica under the name hakuna in several instances in the Maztica campaign setting. As a follow up to this conflict is also the creation of wyverns. Perhaps other leonine/draconic mixtures such as chimera and manticores can also trace their lineage back to this experimentation, as well as the creation of things like griffins and hippogriffs.

The story of the Nagpa with the raven queen trying to ascend I feel could pretty easily fit in with the Aearee as well. Essentially, the Seldarine war which creates Lolth happens at roughly the same time as the fall of the Aearee (i.e. -30,000 DR). During the same time, some kind of draconic entity known as Nagamats which serves Tiamat (or IS Tiamat in avatar form) takes over the Aearee colonies of Aearee-Quor beneath the Orsraun mountains in what becomes modern day Turmish. Presumably, the Aearee-Quor had ties to Quorlinn, which has ties to kenku. If the Kenku were also servants of the Raven Queen (and some rumors actually link her to the creation of kenku) and some of them tried to enact a ritual to drain power from her as she tried to ascend to greater divinity.... all kinds of things can be linked here... perhaps this is even when Tiamat and Bahamut themselves somehow become divine. Perhaps some of the inhabitants of Aearee-Quor are twisted into the nagpa and/or other monstrosities.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11700 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  16:21:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It occurs to me as well that we might be able to link the rising of Auril and the rising of the raven queen as well as other gods at the same time. For instance, IF Auril were some kind of Aearee who was owl headed and she was one of the individuals who sought to drain away power from the Raven Queen's ascension ritual and succeeded, then perhaps that's how she obtained divinity. We might even be able to link "the black diamond" as some artifact made of the crystal known as "Chardalyn" that the netherese were so interested in, since that now appears to be a crystal with ties to the outer planes. So, perhaps some artifact made of chardalyn was part of the raven queen's ascension ritual which drew in souls, but several individuals that were supposed to be helping her with the ritual decided to draw on the power themselves, and all of these individuals gained some level of divinity. The central point of this was "the black diamond" which was in fact a form of chardalyn, and thus perhaps this is why "The Queen of Air and Darkness" is seen as a throne of blackness from which a voice emanates.... because "she" is split brain between multiple individuals.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  21:11:31  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe bloodtide_the_red,

Indeed, I am curious as Great Reader sleyvas: where did you find that timeline for the Battle of Pesh?! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000