Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 WotC is working on 3 classic D&D Settings
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  04:18:11  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This I learned from a Panel with Ray Winnger and Lisa Schuch.

It seems obvious that 2 of the classic setting books will be Forgotten Realms to tie into MtG card set and Ravenloft (we got 2 Ravenloft Subclasses in UA last time, although I expect cross-over with Innistrad).

Plus they said more MtG D&D Collabrations so I suspect Zendikar will get a Setting early next year too.

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  04:20:24  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the third setting I'm unsure. Perhaps Planescape or Darksun
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  04:58:00  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Gyor,

Oh, the Realms and Planescape sound so good, until I realize and know, they will royally screw it up even more, as always. It is sad to me that my initial reaction is just more sadness about the continued degradation of the Realms. It has saved me a ton of money though since 3.5 at least (which, technically went over to Paizo).

Oh well. It is what it is.

Thank you for the update though. The news is always good to be aware of.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  05:03:39  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They made jokes about needing to build a Spelljammer set sometime soon during their Stream of Many Eyes event, the same year they had a celebrity guest play a PC from Dark Sun.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  05:57:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe keftiu,

Ehhh.......I hope Spelljammer doesn't come back either, for having seen what WotC has brought to us as of late. haha

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  16:42:27  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So negative, but understandable I guess that makes me the Optimist!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  18:33:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

They made jokes about needing to build a Spelljammer set sometime soon during their Stream of Many Eyes event, the same year they had a celebrity guest play a PC from Dark Sun.

Their what event? Guessing an MtG thing, but then you're talking about someone playing Dark Sun?

While I could see spelljammer as being fun, the question becomes HOW to do it, because the problem I see with it is somewhat similar to planescape. The scope is vast, so unless the goal is not to fill out worlds, but just to develop the ruleset itself for flight, space combat, etc.... and let the players make the worlds. I actually think that may have been part of the problem with the first spelljammer run under TSR is they were coming out with half-baked universe ideas and there wasn't enough focus on the spelljamming itself maybe. That's purely a guess on my part though, because I literally wasn't buying the material at the time more because I didn't have time and money to keep up with all the worlds and material they were producing.

I do mean the above as an honest to god question. If they DID want to focus on spelljamming, how do you think they'd do it? I could see a revamp of some of the popular crystal spheres (so say revisit realmspace because the realms is a focus, but is there an intense krynnspace or greyspace interest?). Would it be of interest to people to say build out a crystal sphere revolving around say Eberron? Would it behoove them to say put all the MtG settings into one crystal sphere and instead focus on interactions between those worlds since they know them well?

Also, while I can picture spelljamming battles in my head, I can't honestly say I've ever DONE a 3 dimensional ship to ship combat. As weird as this may sound, if they release a spelljammer set, would it be worthwhile to come up with some kind of software to help simulate that style of combat in a turn based but 3d format? It probably wouldn't be amazingly hard given that people have been making starfighter combat programs for 30 years now, but I know most of those are real time and not turn based. Just some thoughts that pop in my head when I think on the subject.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  19:50:01  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stream of Many Eyes is a yearly 5e actual play streamed event, usually to reveal and promote the year’s big new hardcover. They’ve done it two or three times now.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  19:57:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a huge Spelljammer fan, but I would be really surprised if they actually brought it back. I'd expect Dark Sun or Greyhawk to come back long before Spelljammer -- I'm willing to lay money on both of them having been far more popular than my beloved Spelljammer.

Planescape would be a good possibility, too, though the random pointless cosmological changes they keep inflicting mean that much of the material would have to be re-written from the ground up.

If it was just terms of popularity, I'd expect Greyhawk -- but there's a lot of canon, there, and the current design crew has shown a reluctance to embrace prior canon. Dark Sun, on the other hand, has a lot of material, but they didn't do nearly as much to move the timeline in the setting... So my money is on Dark Sun, especially with the new Tasha book bringing psionics into 5E.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  22:33:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Good god: I hope they stay away from Greyhawk. Though I never was a fan of it, they should leave that alone as if it were the coliseum in Rome. lol

I think we've seen enough of Talos' work over the last (11) years from WotC. hahaha

I would be, hypothetically, happy to see Dark Sun retooled; however, I am certain it would simply be garbage as well based on history from the last (11) years.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm a huge Spelljammer fan, but I would be really surprised if they actually brought it back. I'd expect Dark Sun or Greyhawk to come back long before Spelljammer -- I'm willing to lay money on both of them having been far more popular than my beloved Spelljammer.

Planescape would be a good possibility, too, though the random pointless cosmological changes they keep inflicting mean that much of the material would have to be re-written from the ground up.

If it was just terms of popularity, I'd expect Greyhawk -- but there's a lot of canon, there, and the current design crew has shown a reluctance to embrace prior canon. Dark Sun, on the other hand, has a lot of material, but they didn't do nearly as much to move the timeline in the setting... So my money is on Dark Sun, especially with the new Tasha book bringing psionics into 5E.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  03:42:38  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 4e Dark Sun book was a homerun for me; would love to see it again, especially with Guild permission.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  04:05:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

I would be, hypothetically, happy to see Dark Sun retooled; however, I am certain it would simply be garbage as well based on history from the last (11) years.

Honestly, I'd expect it to be like the Eberron book was: a rehash of the existing lore with a very small amount of new information, and a general update of the mechanical side of things.

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  04:33:32  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Honestly, I'd expect it to be like the Eberron book was: a rehash of the existing lore with a very small amount of new information, and a general update of the mechanical side of things.

I'd be perfectly happy with that. And then people could do their own expansions through the Guild!

I also do feel like I gotta note that Eberron's creator did a Guild book recently of brand-new lore from him for the setting, and that was awesome.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  04:48:04  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

You are generous, and I will say: I dearly hope I am wrong! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  05:14:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd be perfectly happy with that. And then people could do their own expansions through the Guild!

I also do feel like I gotta note that Eberron's creator did a Guild book recently of brand-new lore from him for the setting, and that was awesome.

Still need to get that one, myself...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  05:17:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Master Rupert,

You are generous, and I will say: I dearly hope I am wrong! :)

Best regards,

I'm not being generous. WotC has been taking the path of least resistance, of late -- so I'm anticipating more of that.

I dislike this path of least resistance, and I'd far rather see them actually create something and -- dare I say it? -- stick with prior canon while doing so. I just don't anticipate them doing either of those things.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  05:27:26  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love if they actually adhered to the lore, rather than changing it with every product they release (the "unreliable narrator" only works to a point before it just starts feeling like lazy writing because they don't want to take the take to actually study the world they're messing with).

Even though FR is the "default" setting now, I would love to have an official 3e-style FR Campaign Guide. Not sparse like SCAG.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  06:21:40  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Oh how I would love to see canon adhered too. Just in time for the holiday season rolling up on us! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  06:54:05  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Still need to get that one, myself...

Exploring Eberron? It’s killer. Has some stuff on Eberron’s unique planar cosmology, has some stuff on the sahuagib and merfolk nation, some neat stuff on dwarves utilizing aberrant parasites...

Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  08:00:06  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way to do Spelljammer as a setting is to put together a set of custom crystal spheres, with the local "groundling" societies already designed around the existence of spelljamming capability.

Realmspace/Krynnspace/Greyspace don't work because none of their settings are adapted to the economic and military effects of flying ships able to travel 10-90 MPH (using the Dunegon of the Mad Mage rules) or 17-100 MPH (minor helm using the 2e rules) in atmosphere, available in numbers sufficient to support, say, a spaceport like the Rock of Bral. As soon as you put helms common enough to buy and sell in Realmspace, you have to explain why the Zhentarim don't buy a few and skip all that tedious caravans-across-the-Anauroch in favor of third-level spellcasters flying galleon-loads from the Moonsea to Waterdeep in days . . . and there aren't a whole lot of good answers.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  11:07:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by see

The way to do Spelljammer as a setting is to put together a set of custom crystal spheres, with the local "groundling" societies already designed around the existence of spelljamming capability.

Realmspace/Krynnspace/Greyspace don't work because none of their settings are adapted to the economic and military effects of flying ships able to travel 10-90 MPH (using the Dunegon of the Mad Mage rules) or 17-100 MPH (minor helm using the 2e rules) in atmosphere, available in numbers sufficient to support, say, a spaceport like the Rock of Bral. As soon as you put helms common enough to buy and sell in Realmspace, you have to explain why the Zhentarim don't buy a few and skip all that tedious caravans-across-the-Anauroch in favor of third-level spellcasters flying galleon-loads from the Moonsea to Waterdeep in days . . . and there aren't a whole lot of good answers.

I quite agree. Spelljammer was my first love of D&D settings, but yeah, the impact of spelljamming on economic and military topics was flat-out ignored, and while one of the later books did address using spelljammers to scout out new worlds, no thought was given to why it wasn't used to know more about existing ones.

A new Spelljammer setting could be done entirely in one sphere, depending on how it was set up.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Sep 2020 11:16:44
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  12:41:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The 4e Dark Sun book was a homerun for me; would love to see it again, especially with Guild permission.

I haven't seen the 4e dark sun book, but knowing what they did with the original, I've always had some major problems with the setting from a believability standpoint. Have they ever addressed how everyone is supposedly super buff, yet the world is mostly lifeless with lack of sustenance? It just seems ridiculous to me from that perspective. I mean, I love the imagery, and if they had some kind of place that food were coming in from, resources could be found, etc... it could make sense. But, as its written, I just can't suspend my disbelief enough to actually enjoy the setting (and I was that way even in my 20's when it came out, when Mad Max was still a relatively new idea being portrayed).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  12:51:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Exploring Eberron? It’s killer. Has some stuff on Eberron’s unique planar cosmology, has some stuff on the sahuagib and merfolk nation, some neat stuff on dwarves utilizing aberrant parasites...

Got a link to the product? I just finished the Theros stuff, and I liked the concepts behind what they were trying to do with building a world in which the gods and their followers are more intimately tied, but when I got to the lore section on their civilization.... it kind of fell flat for me. I will say the place has potential, and it has a good layout that someone could use as a guide to improve other worlds for mechanical crunch, but they don't seem to want to commit to anything. So, if there's something from Eberron that sounds like a good read, I'm willing to look at it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  13:05:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

I haven't seen the 4e dark sun book, but knowing what they did with the original, I've always had some major problems with the setting from a believability standpoint. Have they ever addressed how everyone is supposedly super buff, yet the world is mostly lifeless with lack of sustenance? It just seems ridiculous to me from that perspective. I mean, I love the imagery, and if they had some kind of place that food were coming in from, resources could be found, etc... it could make sense. But, as its written, I just can't suspend my disbelief enough to actually enjoy the setting (and I was that way even in my 20's when it came out, when Mad Max was still a relatively new idea being portrayed).

Well, fantasy artwork has always focused on either wizards, monsters, or the physically impressive, whether it's a warrior with rippling muscles or an improbably-dressed woman.

Dark Sun didn't bother me from a resources standpoint... It's more plausible to me than it is to have a desert world with shaggy, elephant-sized herbivores traveling in packs and large predators such as the Krayt dragon or the Sarlacc hanging out in its pit.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  13:12:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by see

I quite agree. Spelljammer was my first love of D&D settings, but yeah, the impact of spelljamming on economic and military topics was flat-out ignored, and while one of the later books did address using spelljammers to scout out new worlds, no thought was given to why it wasn't used to know more about existing ones.

A new Spelljammer setting could be done entirely in one sphere, depending on how it was set up.

Let me ask this then... and I'm not sure of the answer I feel myself... given Eberron's links to magitech, could THAT world and spelljamming survive a sudden confluence? I ask that while wondering questions like "do we already have a map of the entire world of Eberron, or did they try and make it yet again that there were hidden places unexplored". I mean, even in our own world, there's portions of our world that are not even remotely explored yet, but we do have a rough shape and rough idea of what's in most areas, so they could still do something were they just know that X area is covered in forest, but they would know when a swathe is cleared and some kind of not minor civilization exists.

I ask this question because while I see an interest in spelljammer, I also see it selling better if they tie it to something that people already have an interest in. Given that they already have trains, airships, etc... would the addition of spelljammers be too much of a problem? I mean, especially if when they come within atmosphere, maybe they suddenly revert to even worse than a Halruaan Skyship in maneuvability and control and speed. I mean, I'm not adverse to the concept that when they're outside of atmosphere they can zoom between worlds, but they're cludgy as hell within atmosphere. That might allow them to not break settings that they're introduced within.

In fact, it might be interesting if they introduced a concept that mirrors things in our world. Maybe there are some ships that can handle wildspace, but you have to dock and use some OTHER kind of ship within atmosphere. I mean, they might have to retcon some of the stuff they've put out so far with dungeon of the mad mage or whatever a little bit (or make those particular ships special).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  14:59:45  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert and Learned Scribe See,

I have to say that the economic and military aspects you mentioned (I myself know nothing of Spelljammer: I played it once or twice) are very salient. This is one of the reasons I've never wanted to include it and just use magic to go back and forth between tears and Toril, or whatever.

Of course, gate magic has been largely ignored for the notion of economics and military too (not completely, but largely I feel).

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  15:40:11  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by see

There has been talk of merging Planescape and Spelljammer for years because of 5e made Spelljammers planeshifting vessels (although the roots for this go back to 4e), hence why you run into the term Planejammer at times.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  16:47:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Let me ask this then... and I'm not sure of the answer I feel myself... given Eberron's links to magitech, could THAT world and spelljamming survive a sudden confluence? I ask that while wondering questions like "do we already have a map of the entire world of Eberron, or did they try and make it yet again that there were hidden places unexplored". I mean, even in our own world, there's portions of our world that are not even remotely explored yet, but we do have a rough shape and rough idea of what's in most areas, so they could still do something were they just know that X area is covered in forest, but they would know when a swathe is cleared and some kind of not minor civilization exists.

I ask this question because while I see an interest in spelljammer, I also see it selling better if they tie it to something that people already have an interest in. Given that they already have trains, airships, etc... would the addition of spelljammers be too much of a problem? I mean, especially if when they come within atmosphere, maybe they suddenly revert to even worse than a Halruaan Skyship in maneuvability and control and speed. I mean, I'm not adverse to the concept that when they're outside of atmosphere they can zoom between worlds, but they're cludgy as hell within atmosphere. That might allow them to not break settings that they're introduced within.

In fact, it might be interesting if they introduced a concept that mirrors things in our world. Maybe there are some ships that can handle wildspace, but you have to dock and use some OTHER kind of ship within atmosphere. I mean, they might have to retcon some of the stuff they've put out so far with dungeon of the mad mage or whatever a little bit (or make those particular ships special).

I'm not hugely conversant with Eberron, but I think its existing tech could be modified for space. Whether that would make Spelljammer-compatible, that I can't say -- it depends on the angle the designers take. Eberron may not be a standard solar system, so it's questionable if Spelljammer would mesh there.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Sep 2020 16:54:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  16:51:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:
Originally posted by see

There has been talk of merging Planescape and Spelljammer for years because of 5e made Spelljammers planeshifting vessels (although the roots for this go back to 4e), hence why you run into the term Planejammer at times.

The idea goes back to 2E, and original Spelljammer material. All spelljammers weren't planeshifting vehicles, but Pirates of Gith -- a spacefaring branch of the guys that became githyanki and githzerai -- had the ability to planeshift with elven spelljammers (and only elven ones). IIRC, they could take them into the Astral.

Also, in Finder's Bane, a Nautiloid is flown through a large gate and then into the Outlands, and used to travel across that plane. They moved at tactical speed, there.

Interestingly, Dragon 159, which had a Spelljammer cover and a lot of Spelljammer content, also had an article called "Voidjammers" -- about a line of magic ships plying the Astral plane.

Voidjammers were not spelljammers -- I think the article may have been written before the Adventures in Arcane Space boxed set came out, but there is an obvious similarity, there, and I think the article may have been held for a while before publishing, because of that. Please note that this is all speculation, on my part.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Sep 2020 16:59:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  17:00:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Master Rupert and Learned Scribe See,

I have to say that the economic and military aspects you mentioned (I myself know nothing of Spelljammer: I played it once or twice) are very salient. This is one of the reasons I've never wanted to include it and just use magic to go back and forth between tears and Toril, or whatever.

Of course, gate magic has been largely ignored for the notion of economics and military too (not completely, but largely I feel).

Best regards,

Ed at least tried to put some limitations on gates to limit the military and economic issues, but those limitations were largely ignored in published lore.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  17:12:07  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, what I'd love to see is a Greyhawk Setting book. With adventures from that setting already in Tales of the Yawning Portal (which, I know, is set in the Realms) PLUS the Ghosts of Saltmarsh book (which takes place in Greyhawk) it would be pretty good to have that classic back. Not to mention you could re-sell an updated Temple of Elemental Evil (which should definitely be different than Princes of the Apocalypse) and other classics like Vault of the Drow or Horror on the Hill. And I believe they already have a version of Isle of Dread - which is set in GH if I'm not mistaken.

Just a lot of good ideas from the past to be used.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000