Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The FR is getting an MTG set summer 2021
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2020 :  14:29:34  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Qilintha

I don't know how the setting will be however...I'll think that this, alongside with BG3, is a good chance for FR to expand beyond the gamebooks, made if successful we'll get some new novels...

At minimum we will get a series of short stories and a one chapter at a time novel to tie in with the set.

Plus they are working on a big budget Forgotten Realms movie btw.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2020 :  17:25:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:
Originally posted by Qilintha

I don't know how the setting will be however...I'll think that this, alongside with BG3, is a good chance for FR to expand beyond the gamebooks, made if successful we'll get some new novels...

At minimum we will get a series of short stories and a one chapter at a time novel to tie in with the set.

Plus they are working on a big budget Forgotten Realms movie btw.

They've been working on that movie for years, now, and we don't even have casting or a release date.

I think any stories are going to be like some of the Adventure Locale articles we got many years ago, when WotC was giving us free lore multiple times a week: some generic, flavorless thing, with a single reference or two to claim it was FR-specific.

WotC has been trying very hard, over the last few years, to not give us new lore. I don't know why we should expect anything different when they're doing something for their true moneymaking property.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2020 :  21:13:21  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

WotC has been trying very hard, over the last few years, to not give us new lore. I don't know why we should expect anything different when they're doing something for their true moneymaking property.

So what, all of the setting info from Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Sword Coast Adventures Guide, Out of the Abyss, Baldur's Gate: Decent into Avernus, Storm King's Thunder, Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle, Lost Tales of Myth Drannor, Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Murder in Baldur's Gate, Dead in Thay, Legacy of The Shard, and Princes of the Apocalypse don't count I guess? I'm guessing we're also ignoring Rime of the Frost Maiden, set in icewind Dale due this winter and The Border Kingdoms: a Forgotten Realms supplement?

I completely understand the frustration of not getting a big solid Forgotten Realms campaign setting book, heck even 4th edition had two of them and gave Neverwinter more love than any other previous Edition. I also understand the frustration of WotC solely focusing on the sword Coast in Western Heartlands. I'm with you there. But I think it's disingenuous to say that they've been trying to not give us anything new lore wise. The lore given, and the means of which it's provided, may not be to your taste - which I respect - but it is there to be consumed.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2020 :  23:59:38  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diffan, this is the same community that complained 4e FR had no lore even though it got three hardcovers and dozens of magazine articles. You’re not gonna convince anyone now. “Material I don’t like” is what everyone here means when they’re complaining about how the poor maligned Realms have gone hungry since 3.5.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  00:07:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a static setting can be awesome personally. Harn anyone?

I have more lore than I need...ever...just with the Old Grey Box. Anything at all new is bonus gravy.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  04:36:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

So what, all of the setting info from Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Sword Coast Adventures Guide, Out of the Abyss, Baldur's Gate: Decent into Avernus, Storm King's Thunder, Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle, Lost Tales of Myth Drannor, Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Murder in Baldur's Gate, Dead in Thay, Legacy of The Shard, and Princes of the Apocalypse don't count I guess? I'm guessing we're also ignoring Rime of the Frost Maiden, set in icewind Dale due this winter and The Border Kingdoms: a Forgotten Realms supplement?

Aside from the SCAG, the Border Kingdoms book is the only one that had any real amount of lore in it, and it wasn't published by WotC.

And yes, with the exception of the SCAG the other books don't count when all they are is adventure books with minuscule amounts of lore, if that much. They're not adding anything to the setting.

quote:

I completely understand the frustration of not getting a big solid Forgotten Realms campaign setting book, heck even 4th edition had two of them and gave Neverwinter more love than any other previous Edition. I also understand the frustration of WotC solely focusing on the sword Coast in Western Heartlands. I'm with you there. But I think it's disingenuous to say that they've been trying to not give us anything new lore wise. The lore given, and the means of which it's provided, may not be to your taste - which I respect - but it is there to be consumed.

Aside from the SCAG, you could take every single one of the WotC books you mentioned, collate all the lore into a single place, and it wouldn't be 20 pages. I've got a bookshelf full of hardcover 5E books, and with that one exception, a single 64-page paperback booklet from 1E contains more lore than that entire shelf.

And that's all ignoring some of the bizarre things they've done, like turn a human into a yuan-ti, or give us a powerful wizard who doesn't bother to upgrade or replace his non-magical prosthetic hand, and who somehow, with one hand and an expended spell list, managed to escape from a more powerful wizard who was holding him captive.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Sep 2020 04:47:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  04:40:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Diffan, this is the same community that complained 4e FR had no lore even though it got three hardcovers and dozens of magazine articles. You’re not gonna convince anyone now. “Material I don’t like” is what everyone here means when they’re complaining about how the poor maligned Realms have gone hungry since 3.5.

No, people didn't complain that 4E had no lore. People complained that 4E lore was nonsensical -- like the Sea of Fallen Stars losing 50 feet of water and somehow exposing to air a city that was more than 300 feet under water -- or it was contradictory, like the fact that Halruaa blew up, and this detonation somehow crossed a mountain range and came back down to destroy part of a peninsula, but Halruaa was still there and buildings were still standing afterward.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  07:23:17  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you forgot the axing of mystra just for the edition change.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  08:23:43  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I think a static setting can be awesome personally. Harn anyone?

I have more lore than I need...ever...just with the Old Grey Box. Anything at all new is bonus gravy.

-Depends, I guess. I think that since the Forgotten Realms were a more living setting once upon a time, any slowdown (be it to a trickle like it apparently is now or completely) is a bummer. If it had always been presented as a single snapshot without any accompanying progression, then I probably wouldn't have any problems with it.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  15:21:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't do a static setting, myself... Dragonlance was what brought me into TSR stuff, but for a while, after the Legends trilogy, all they did was go sideways or backwards -- "let's have a story from 5 years before the War of the Lance that may or may not fit into canon! Ooh, let's do another that's 200 years earlier and has nothing to do with anything else!" And it simply could not maintain my interest. I liked what I read of Eberron, but similarly, the fact that it was static kept me away.

A static setting is a lifeless world. No matter how well-described, no matter how many NPCs with rich and compelling backstories, if things aren't happening, then it's just a bunch of cardboard cut-outs.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  15:25:29  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aside from the SCAG, the Border Kingdoms book is the only one that had any real amount of lore in it, and it wasn't published by WotC.

Can you define "real"?

quote:

And yes, with the exception of the SCAG the other books don't count when all they are is adventure books with minuscule amounts of lore, if that much. They're not adding anything to the setting.

I'm going to respectfully disagree.

quote:

Aside from the SCAG, you could take every single one of the WotC books you mentioned, collate all the lore into a single place, and it wouldn't be 20 pages. I've got a bookshelf full of hardcover 5E books, and with that one exception, a single 64-page paperback booklet from 1E contains more lore than that entire shelf.

I'm looking at Waterdeep: Dragon Hesit and it has a lot of info about NPCs of the Realms and a lot of info on Waterdeep too. I'm looking at the Murder in Baldur's Gate books, one of which is a Gazeteer about current things going on in Baldur's Gate. I have the Legacy of the Shard adventure, and that too has similar info about Icewind Dale. Way more than 20-pages.

quote:

And that's all ignoring some of the bizarre things they've done, like turn a human into a yuan-ti, or give us a powerful wizard who doesn't bother to upgrade or replace his non-magical prosthetic hand, and who somehow, with one hand and an expended spell list, managed to escape from a more powerful wizard who was holding him captive.

I'm not sure what you're referring to?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  16:42:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Can you define "real"?

Yes. Real as in, more than one sentence here, a paragraph there. It is obviously a foreign concept to the people now employed by WotC, but I may want to run my own adventures someplace, and need info to do that. I may even -- gasp! -- want to set them somewhere else in the Realms.

quote:

I'm looking at Waterdeep: Dragon Hesit and it has a lot of info about NPCs of the Realms and a lot of info on Waterdeep too. I'm looking at the Murder in Baldur's Gate books, one of which is a Gazeteer about current things going on in Baldur's Gate. I have the Legacy of the Shard adventure, and that too has similar info about Icewind Dale. Way more than 20-pages.

Okay, so maybe I underbilled it with 20 pages. It's still practically nothing compared to 1E-3E, and it's all in books that dedicate a lot more space to adventure stuff.

Again, I want to be able to run my own adventures. I want books about the setting, where I can come up with my own ideas for adventures -- not "here's an adventure we made up, and we'll throw in a few extra pages of lore that directly support that adventure."

Even Mysteries of the Moonsea, which a lot of people disliked for the format, still had a huge amount of info, enough to let DMs entirely ignore the adventure stuff and go their own way. I wasn't happy with that format, compared to having a real sourcebook, but I was happy with the fact it had a lot of lore. Even going back to that format would be a huge improvement over the current approach.

quote:

quote:

I'm not sure what you're referring to?

Ras Nsi, a former human bara of Ubtao, is now a yuan-ti necromancer.

Manshoon was captured and imprisoned by Halaster, who -- for reasons -- took Manshoon's arm. Manshoon somehow, with one hand, escaped, got himself a mechanical prosthetic instead of a magical one or regeneration, and then stayed there in Waterdeep, right within easy reach of the guy he escaped from.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Sep 2020 16:46:21
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  17:18:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know, and on some elements I do empathize with them. I wish we had MORE than what's currently being produced, no doubt about that. I'm glad WotC decided to allow 3PP to put out Relams products (see The Border Kingdoms supplement) and there's another Zhentarim one coming out soon, though I don't know if that's made by WotC or someone else? All I'm saying is that Lore IS being produced.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  17:39:18  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes. Real as in, more than one sentence here, a paragraph there. It is obviously a foreign concept to the people now employed by WotC, but I may want to run my own adventures someplace, and need info to do that. I may even -- gasp! -- want to set them somewhere else in the Realms.

So, you mean More. 100% agree with you there.

quote:

Okay, so maybe I underbilled it with 20 pages. It's still practically nothing compared to 1E-3E, and it's all in books that dedicate a lot more space to adventure stuff.

I don't think anyone's arguing with you that the content is anywhere near what it once was. I'm certainly not. I also agree with you that currently the lore produced could certainly be more expansive. I wish Rime of the Frost Maiden was set pretty much anywhere else cold besides the Icewind Dale area. Literally, anywhere else.

quote:

Again, I want to be able to run my own adventures. I want books about the setting, where I can come up with my own ideas for adventures -- not "here's an adventure we made up, and we'll throw in a few extra pages of lore that directly support that adventure."

Oh absolutely! I was looking for info on the current situation around the Moonsea region. What I found was a dozen or so Adventure League adventures set in Hulburg and Phlan. I was extremely disappointed that the Hulburg adventures pretty much ignored (or at least, didn't mention at all) the events that occurred from the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy, which centers around the leaders of Hulburg, in particular Gerran Hulmaster and his cousin Kara. I didn't find out til later that the AL adventures weren't canon, which was both a relief and also sort of sad.

So I understand where you're coming from. I agree with you here Wooly. All I'm pointing out is that there IS lore being produced. Does it pale in comparison to other editions (even 4th)? Yes. Do I wish there was more, especially OUTSIDE of the western continent? YES! But there's info about the setting all the same.

quote:

Even Mysteries of the Moonsea, which a lot of people disliked for the format, still had a huge amount of info, enough to let DMs entirely ignore the adventure stuff and go their own way. I wasn't happy with that format, compared to having a real sourcebook, but I was happy with the fact it had a lot of lore. Even going back to that format would be a huge improvement over the current approach.

You'll get no complaints from me here. My dislike of that particular supplement was that it only focused on the couple of Big cities in the region and didn't mention what occurred in Phlan after the events of the Pool of Twilight series, in which the city is overrun by the Zhents by Cvaal Doran, a Hatemaster of Bane in 1375 DR.

quote:

Eh, in a game like Dungeons and Dragons - where you simply perform a ritual to a god like Bahamut, you can transform into a Dragonborn - this is short of a nothing-burger.

quote:

Manshoon was captured and imprisoned by Halaster, who -- for reasons -- took Manshoon's arm. Manshoon somehow, with one hand, escaped, got himself a mechanical prosthetic instead of a magical one or regeneration, and then stayed there in Waterdeep, right within easy reach of the guy he escaped from.

Look at it like this - the mechanical arm wouldn't be subjected to spells like Dispel Magic and Regeneration takes a while, not to mention finding a Cleric of a high enough level that would cast the spell on him to begin with and not know who they're helping. Also, isn't there some saying that you keep your friends close but your enemies closer? Seems like Manshoon would stay close even as a to remain more easily hidden, it's not something like a mad-wizard such as Halaster would think of? Practical? Not really, but it's plausable.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  23:58:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Lore thing, I feel they started to learn with Storm King's Thunder and the chult adventure and were at least attempting to provide setting lore. Granted, the storyline from the chult one was a lot iffy, but I'll give them props for trying and at least detailing the peninsula in such a way as to introduce a new area to people who hadn't seen anything on the region in several years (I think 4e just had the basics on Chult, and the 3.5 work all focused on the peninsula countries nearby mostly).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  02:43:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Eh, in a game like Dungeons and Dragons - where you simply perform a ritual to a god like Bahamut, you can transform into a Dragonborn - this is short of a nothing-burger.

It's problematic because it would have been easier to just make a yuan-ti necromancer, rather than take an established NPC and force him into some weird mold he was never meant to fit. Instead of creating something new, they opted to take something already existent and twist it into something beyond recognition.

quote:

quote:

Look at it like this - the mechanical arm wouldn't be subjected to spells like Dispel Magic and Regeneration takes a while, not to mention finding a Cleric of a high enough level that would cast the spell on him to begin with and not know who they're helping. Also, isn't there some saying that you keep your friends close but your enemies closer? Seems like Manshoon would stay close even as a to remain more easily hidden, it's not something like a mad-wizard such as Halaster would think of? Practical? Not really, but it's plausable.

If someone captures and maims you, it doesn't make sense to hide in his backyard. A wizard as powerful as Halaster isn't going to take long to find someone hiding a mile away.

And it's Manshoon. Even if he didn't want to regenerate, he's got a quick, ready-made option for coming back hale and hearty. He doesn't even have to waste an existing clone: cast his Manshoon is a cockroach spell, make a new clone, off himself, and boom, two arms. Or, wake a clone and create a new one to replace it immediately afterward.

It's another case where they would have been better off just coming up with a new NPC, and instead decided to do something bizarre with an existing one. In both cases, they had the opportunity to make something new, and opted to just grab whatever was handy and force it into a weird shape.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Sep 2020 02:45:21
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  06:32:59  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It's problematic because it would have been easier to just make a yuan-ti necromancer, rather than take an established NPC and force him into some weird mold he was never meant to fit. Instead of creating something new, they opted to take something already existent and twist it into something beyond recognition.

quote:

quote:

If someone captures and maims you, it doesn't make sense to hide in his backyard. A wizard as powerful as Halaster isn't going to take long to find someone hiding a mile away.

And it's Manshoon. Even if he didn't want to regenerate, he's got a quick, ready-made option for coming back hale and hearty. He doesn't even have to waste an existing clone: cast his Manshoon is a cockroach spell, make a new clone, off himself, and boom, two arms. Or, wake a clone and create a new one to replace it immediately afterward.

It's another case where they would have been better off just coming up with a new NPC, and instead decided to do something bizarre with an existing one. In both cases, they had the opportunity to make something new, and opted to just grab whatever was handy and force it into a weird shape.

Worth nothing that there are three Manshoons in the Realms rn, if memory serves.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  16:11:06  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still think we are getting a tie in FRCG type book as a tie into the MtG Forgotten Realms set, partly because its clear we are shifting into the next phase of 5e with alot of changes.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  16:42:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still think we are getting a tie in FRCG type book as a tie into the MtG Forgotten Realms set, partly because its clear we are shifting into the next phase of 5e with alot of changes.

I'd love to share your optimism, but I don't see this as anything other than just another crossover between properties -- much like the D&D My Little Pony figures.

Until someone in the know -- a designer or a WotC staffer -- says otherwise, I'm not going to read too much into this.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  01:59:20  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'd love to share your optimism, but I don't see this as anything other than just another crossover between properties -- much like the D&D My Little Pony figures.

Until someone in the know -- a designer or a WotC staffer -- says otherwise, I'm not going to read too much into this.

The my little ponies stuff for both MtG and D&D, were charity gag gifs, in MtG terms they had the silver border which means they aren't actually usable in offical games. D&D: Adventuring in the Forgotten Realms is a black border set, they emphasised that, which means its legal in all Standard and Eternal Formats, ect..., its a serious set, not some playful LOLZ stuff like my little pony charity fun or an unset.

I honestly belief its all part of a bigger plan for FR and D&D/MtG in general for 2021.

In Standard alone you will be able to play your FR cards with Throne of Eldraine, Theros Beyond Death, Ikorea, Core 2021, Kaldheim, Strixhaven: School of Mages sets of cards. Then after Innistrad Werewolf comes out and Eldraine/Theros/Ikoria/core2021 rotates out of Standard you will be able to play your FR cards with Kaldheim, Strixhaven: School of Mages, Innistrad Werewolf, Innistrad Vampire, and two unannounced sets before FR's set gets rotated out of Standard (although FR cards will always be playable in eternal formats like Commander).

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  02:07:00  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have to wonder; with how much they seem to have hinted at Spelljammer in 5e, that might preclude an MtG crossover, as non-planeswalkers moving between worlds is impossible currently.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  04:01:07  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  15:58:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do have to wonder; with how much they seem to have hinted at Spelljammer in 5e, that might preclude an MtG crossover, as non-planeswalkers moving between worlds is impossible currently.

The question becomes then the actual mechanics of spelljammer and crystal spheres with certain worlds, etc..

For instance, and I'm pulling this from memory mind you, I believe they had stated at the time that Dark Sun was in its own crystal sphere, but that crossing the barrier that separated the phlogiston to Dark Sun's "interior" of its crystal sphere was impossible. Similarly, as written, travel from the Phlogiston to Abeir isn't in theory possible (i.e. you could transfer into "realmspace", but not "Abeir space"). There's also the idea that new crystal spheres are "born", and perhaps such places go through a phase where their "shell" isolates the interior (and for all we know, Abeir may be a growing "young" crystal sphere... for 30+ millenia). Perhaps many of the MtG worlds are this kind of "budding" crystal sphere that's "hard" to cross the shell with normal spelljamming magic, such that planeswalkers can do it, but not others.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  18:31:30  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does WotC sell non-game legal boxed sets of the cards? I haven't played in 20 or so years, but I would be interested in the card art, and would rather not have to sort and trade for them if I want physical copies.

Tony DiTerlizzi announced he'll be doing some art, so I'm pretty excited about that. Otherwise it is really just the card art I'd be interested in seeing, although I imagine it will all be online in short order after the release anyway.

quote:

Keep in mind some of that was mean-spirited trolling to tease details about a different release. I don't think any of the other "hints" are anything more than Chris Perkins, who is a fan of Spelljammer references, inserting references to Spelljammer in stuff (or other people doing it because they know he'll like it).

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

For instance, and I'm pulling this from memory mind you, I believe they had stated at the time that Dark Sun was in its own crystal sphere, but that crossing the barrier that separated the phlogiston to Dark Sun's "interior" of its crystal sphere was impossible.

The details were left up to the DM, with the only hard fact being that players can't get there via Spelljamming.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Similarly, as written, travel from the Phlogiston to Abeir isn't in theory possible (i.e. you could transfer into "realmspace", but not "Abeir space"). There's also the idea that new crystal spheres are "born", and perhaps such places go through a phase where their "shell" isolates the interior (and for all we know, Abeir may be a growing "young" crystal sphere... for 30+ millenia). Perhaps many of the MtG worlds are this kind of "budding" crystal sphere that's "hard" to cross the shell with normal spelljamming magic, such that planeswalkers can do it, but not others.

So far as I know there is no explicit canon on a Crystal Sphere for Abeir, since while Spelljamming or more generic space travel mentions have cropped up since 2e on occasion, Crystal Spheres and the Phlogiston have not. The only canon is what can be extrapolated from the relation between Abeir and Toril. Most of the discussion about how Crystal Spheres form is pure speculation, although some of it is canonical in-world speculation (there are some lines about that in the various Spelljammer products, but nothing concrete).

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  18:46:12  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Btw given the fact that set is called Dungeons and Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms, it seems obvious that the Adventure will be a major mechanic. https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&subtype=+["Adventure"]

Maybe even more then Throne of Eldraine. It could be even be an Adventures matter set the way Theros is enchantment matters and Kaladesh is Artifacts matter set.
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2020 :  20:38:23  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The set just coming out, Zendikar Rising, also introduces the new "party" mechanic: "If you have a Cleric, Rogue, Warrior and Wizard in play, X happens." And then there are both generic and named-character cards which have one or more of those subtypes, so you can actually build an adventuring party. It's reasonable to assume this will continue into a FR-themed set.

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2020 :  21:10:59  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rils

The set just coming out, Zendikar Rising, also introduces the new "party" mechanic: "If you have a Cleric, Rogue, Warrior and Wizard in play, X happens." And then there are both generic and named-character cards which have one or more of those subtypes, so you can actually build an adventuring party. It's reasonable to assume this will continue into a FR-themed set.

I don't think it will at least not directly because FR has too many other characters of other classes, like Warlock for it to make, sense, plus on a practical mechanical level Party has some issues I've heard.
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2020 :  00:01:22  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious what the core planeswalker representation will be on the cards. If the FR set is a core set, they are going to have planeswalkers. Will Multiverse planeswalkers arrive into Toril to see things? (just as they do in all other worlds they visit) Or will Realmslore characters be portrayed as Planeswalkers? I haven't gone deep into the MTG supplements for 5e much yet, and I'm curious where post-sundering planeswalkers line up against Leveled Spellcasting. I mean, Planeshift is a 7th level spell, but planeshifting with unlimited capabilities without needing any material components at all is certaintly outside of the ordinary and doesn't explicitly scream epic level magic. (Pre sundering though, well, imagine an Elimnster-like elevated spellcaster with epic casting and add in some sci-fi morally abhorrent eugenic megalomania with literal god-complex and you kind of have Urza?)

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T

Edited by - PattPlays on 13 Sep 2020 00:05:25
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  20:13:27  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

I'm curious what the core planeswalker representation will be on the cards. If the FR set is a core set, they are going to have planeswalkers. Will Multiverse planeswalkers arrive into Toril to see things? (just as they do in all other worlds they visit) Or will Realmslore characters be portrayed as Planeswalkers? I haven't gone deep into the MTG supplements for 5e much yet, and I'm curious where post-sundering planeswalkers line up against Leveled Spellcasting. I mean, Planeshift is a 7th level spell, but planeshifting with unlimited capabilities without needing any material components at all is certaintly outside of the ordinary and doesn't explicitly scream epic level magic. (Pre sundering though, well, imagine an Elimnster-like elevated spellcaster with epic casting and add in some sci-fi morally abhorrent eugenic megalomania with literal god-complex and you kind of have Urza?)

It could be either or both like a mix of the two. I could see Nazram the World Walker, Elminister, Szazz Tam and maybe Drizzt as Planeswalkers. The hard part is figuring out what regular MtG Planeswalkers would be in the set if any. Chandra perhaps if she isn't in the Kaldheim or Strixhaven sets? Kaya and Liliana and Kiora could all be cool choices. Vraska and Jace would not be my choices for this set, although its possible, it really depends on what happens to the Lithocore in the current MtG main story.

Having one of the Brando Sanderson Planeswalker show up in the Forgotten Realms could be cool.

But I think my top choice would be the new Planeswalker from Core 2021, Basri, because FR has its own Amonkhet like nation, a fantasy Egypt, so it'd be cool to see him visit it and compare. Also Basri worshipped the Amonkhet cat Goddess Oketra, so him meeting Bastet/Sharess could be really cool.

Edited by - Gyor on 14 Sep 2020 20:17:11
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  00:39:48  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe keftiu,

hahaha......great point. That is definitely a perfectly salient point you make there. The sheer timidness of WotC to take a stand on developing the Realms in 5e reminds of no one less than Generalfeldmarschall Freidrich Paulus, the most timid, useless general ever.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000