Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Non-Weave Magic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2020 :  22:24:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you follow George Krashos' lore (and I do) on spellweavers then they most certainly did not use the weave originally (they created it). However after 30000 years the spellweavers have fallen far from their empire glory days and probably use the weave like everyone else.

The weave is so successful because new spells can be stored in it and retrieved in a safe and standardised way that means it spellcasting will work if you follow the exact same steps every time.

Non weave magic is about moulding raw magic into a desired effect. Raw magic is dangerous and unpredictable and so it probably requires different activities every time and if you get it wrong it blows up in your face (and takes your face with it).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  01:37:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

If you follow George Krashos' lore (and I do) on spellweavers then they most certainly did not use the weave originally (they created it). However after 30000 years the spellweavers have fallen far from their empire glory days and probably use the weave like everyone else.

Hmmm... I was just looking at the Lord of the End of Everything write-up, and if it says in there that the spell-weavers created the Weave, then I missed it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  01:43:48  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes please point me to the reference where they created the Weave. That's something I'd be incredibly interested in reading.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  07:38:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The spellweavers created the nether scrolls to provide the sarrukh with cheap and safe magic (a modus operandi taken from the ecology of the spellweaver article in dragon magazine).

The nether scrolls were the weave back then or at least a part of it, they have since been removed from the weave after karsus' folly - I checked with Ed. The concept of weave anchors that George used for the Athora shows that the spellweavers created and allowed the sarrukh to create a number of these weave anchors to increase the area and power of the weave until it became this near global force.

You will not find a line saying the spellweavers created the weave, but read around and you will see the spellweavers transformed some of their number into sarrukh to form the baetith, and the baetith guided the sarrukh to create the nether scrolls and thus the weave.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  10:39:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Show me where it says the Nether Scrolls created the Weave.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  17:32:49  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So they made spellweavers one of the founding races now too? Why can't people just leave well enough alone?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  18:24:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

So they made spellweavers one of the founding races now too? Why can't people just leave well enough alone?

No. They were an early, interloper race, but not one of the founding races. And the material we're discussing is what I personally refer to as semi-canon -- it's from the pen of a Realms designer, but it is not official published lore.

It's all part of a very interesting write-up on the origins and history of Jergal.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2020 :  18:11:38  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I have been digging into a blood magic system based on the idea it is divine magic and that it doesn't have the "normal" spell levels of arcane or standard divine (clerical) spells. Here is what I have so far. Please let me know if you see a problem with it (this is based around 2e since that is what I am most familiar with).

Blood mages use d4 for hit point and they use Int to determine bonus hit points per level so that a Blood mage with an 18 Int would get +4 hit points per level.

Since a regular mage only needs to sleep overnight to regain the ability to cast spells again, a Blood mage gets the Bloodwine ability. This allows the blood mage to convert any drink that contains alcohol into a blood-like liquid that will allow that blood mage (and that blood mage only) the ability regain ALL of their hit points with a simple nights sleep.

A blood mage can gain hit points by drinking the blood of someone of their own basic species type (this doesn't apply to undead blood mages). So a mammalian humanoid blood mage can drink the blood of the major races like humans, elves, orcs, etc but not the blood of lizardmen, yuan-ti, etc. An undead blood mage can drink anyone's blood and regain hit points (vampires really don't need this since they regenerate anyway).

Blood magic does not have spell levels like other classes. Their spells are separated into Type 1, Type 2, and Type 3 magic. Spells of Type 1 costs 1 hp to cast, Type 2 spells require 3 hps, and Type 3 requires 5 hp. This cost can be paid by others by either the mage touching an open wound on an opponent (the "donor" would have to fail a saving throw vs. magic for it to work) or an open wound on a friend (the saving throw is forfieted if it is a willing donation).

Type 1 spells are generally equivanent to spells of up to level 4. Type 2 spells are roughly up to level 8. Type 3 would be level 9.

Using this system and comparing it to an arcane caster, we get this:

An average level 5 wizard will have 11 spell levels worth of spells and if they cast them all, they would have 13 hit points left (roughly 2.5 hit points per level).
An average level 5 blood mage (16 Int requirement) will have 7 spells and if they cast them all, they would have 16 hit points left (roughly 2.5 hit points per level plus 2 hit points per level)

For level 10
10 wizard has 39 spell levels and 25 hit points left
10 blood mage has 15 spells (13 Type 1 and 2 Type 2) and 29 hit points left

For level 15
15 wizard has 94 spell levels and 32 hit points left
15 blood mage has 28 spells (20 Type 1 and 8 Type 2) and 22 hit points left

For level 20
20 wizard has 162 spell levels and 37 hit points left
20 blood mage has 37 spells (20 Type 1, 15 Type 2, and 2 Type 3) and 2 hit points left

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2020 :  19:23:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised no one has brought up the bloatmages of Pathfinder...

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/bloatmage/

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2020 :  21:43:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

IF you like spellweavers, you may like this. Not canon at all, but one thing that Seethyr and myself discussed for Anchorome was the city of Esh Alakar (from City of Gold). Its a city that is ancient and noone knows who built it. At one point some people who are known as "the Ancients" were there and they did bad things (without going way overboard), and the people shun the city now. What we did was say that the city was built by Spellweavers LOOOONNNGG ago (during the time of the sarrukh, batrachi, and aearee). They didn't create other creatures though, so weren't a "creator race". They occupied their area, and when the spellweaver empire collapsed they fell apart. Some still survive and they occupy the underdark beneath Anchorome, and they secretly control the mantis men of the "land of insect men" which is also canon in Anchorome. The Ancients were some humans that came along later, discovered some of the spellweaver knowledge, and used it to be pricks before themselves failing. Meanwhile, the ruins of Esh Alakar are a link to the Underdark throughout Anchorome (its like a hub), and thus it becomes a superdungeon for Anchorome but without everything going down from it... rather it spreads to everywhere else.

One of the things I was discussing with him was the concept that perhaps the spellweavers work through other creatures on a literal sense (i.e. they're holed up somewhere and occupying other creature's bodies, and in doing so they're slowing down their aging or simply just not exposing themselves to danger). They would want creatures with a lot of arms though so that they can cast like the normally can. So, the idea was the party keeps running across all these creatures with multiple arms and they're all spellcasters (mariliths, thri-kreen, sahuagin mutants, ettercaps, giant four armed gargoyles, etc...). This starts to become a hint that something else is going on. BTW, if anyone thinks of a 4 or 6 armed creature, at one point I was trying to make a list, and I'd appreciate the heads up.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2020 :  22:35:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

IF you like spellweavers, you may like this. Not canon at all, but one thing that Seethyr and myself discussed for Anchorome was the city of Esh Alakar (from City of Gold). Its a city that is ancient and noone knows who built it. At one point some people who are known as "the Ancients" were there and they did bad things (without going way overboard), and the people shun the city now. What we did was say that the city was built by Spellweavers LOOOONNNGG ago (during the time of the sarrukh, batrachi, and aearee). They didn't create other creatures though, so weren't a "creator race". They occupied their area, and when the spellweaver empire collapsed they fell apart. Some still survive and they occupy the underdark beneath Anchorome, and they secretly control the mantis men of the "land of insect men" which is also canon in Anchorome. The Ancients were some humans that came along later, discovered some of the spellweaver knowledge, and used it to be pricks before themselves failing. Meanwhile, the ruins of Esh Alakar are a link to the Underdark throughout Anchorome (its like a hub), and thus it becomes a superdungeon for Anchorome but without everything going down from it... rather it spreads to everywhere else.

One of the things I was discussing with him was the concept that perhaps the spellweavers work through other creatures on a literal sense (i.e. they're holed up somewhere and occupying other creature's bodies, and in doing so they're slowing down their aging or simply just not exposing themselves to danger). They would want creatures with a lot of arms though so that they can cast like the normally can. So, the idea was the party keeps running across all these creatures with multiple arms and they're all spellcasters (mariliths, thri-kreen, sahuagin mutants, ettercaps, giant four armed gargoyles, etc...). This starts to become a hint that something else is going on. BTW, if anyone thinks of a 4 or 6 armed creature, at one point I was trying to make a list, and I'd appreciate the heads up.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  23:55:01  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Arcanamach,

quote:
Rune magic, used by the dwarves, may also circumvent the Weave, but again I'm unsure.

I found some good information in the FRCS, 3rd edition, on page 56:

quote:
Many types of magic—rune magic, shadow magic (not to be confused with the Shadow Weave), gem magic, elemental magic,
even the elven high magic of old—have been spoken of down the years, but these are all merely different processes or paths to the same mastery of natural energies. This endless, ever-shifting web of forces is known as the Weave. Humans refer to the entity or awareness that is bound to the Weave of Toril as Mystra, and worship her as their goddess of magic.

I think that settles it. The acknowledgement in differentiating the Shadow Weave from the regular Weave, and then going on to demonstrate that different forms of magic (as identified) are merely "different processes", lays out the fact that it all leads to "the same mastery of natural energies."

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  01:01:15  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Arcanamach,

quote:
Rune magic, used by the dwarves, may also circumvent the Weave, but again I'm unsure.

I found some good information in the FRCS, 3rd edition, on page 56:

quote:
Many types of magic—rune magic, shadow magic (not to be confused with the Shadow Weave), gem magic, elemental magic,
even the elven high magic of old—have been spoken of down the years, but these are all merely different processes or paths to the same mastery of natural energies. This endless, ever-shifting web of forces is known as the Weave. Humans refer to the entity or awareness that is bound to the Weave of Toril as Mystra, and worship her as their goddess of magic.

I think that settles it. The acknowledgement in differentiating the Shadow Weave from the regular Weave, and then going on to demonstrate that different forms of magic (as identified) are merely "different processes", lays out the fact that it all leads to "the same mastery of natural energies."

Best regards,

That really doesn't make sense for rune magic. Rune magic was given to the giants by Modrons. Since The Weave is limited to Toril, Modrons would use magic that was not dependent on The Weave because they would also intact with Oerth and the other non-FR primes and their magic would have to work there as is.

Otherwise, there is no "etc." in that declaration about types of magic that use The Weave. Those listed DO use The Weave and there are others not listed that do not. Ed's quote that Wooly posted speaks to that point.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  02:27:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

[quote]That really doesn't make sense for rune magic. Rune magic was given to the giants by Modrons. Since The Weave is limited to Toril, Modrons would use magic that was not dependent on The Weave because they would also intact with Oerth and the other non-FR primes and their magic would have to work there as is.

-Extraplanar/otherworldly magics seem to just "default" to the Weave, as magicians from elsewhere are able to come to Realmspace and continue practicing magic with no troubles despite continuing to use the magical traditions from where they are from. Likewise, magicians from Realmspace go to other words and are able to continue using magic without a hitch, meaning that Realmsian magical traditions that utilize the Weave default to whatever laws of magic/physics are in those places.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  03:02:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

[quote]That really doesn't make sense for rune magic. Rune magic was given to the giants by Modrons. Since The Weave is limited to Toril, Modrons would use magic that was not dependent on The Weave because they would also intact with Oerth and the other non-FR primes and their magic would have to work there as is.

-Extraplanar/otherworldly magics seem to just "default" to the Weave, as magicians from elsewhere are able to come to Realmspace and continue practicing magic with no troubles despite continuing to use the magical traditions from where they are from. Likewise, magicians from Realmspace go to other words and are able to continue using magic without a hitch, meaning that Realmsian magical traditions that utilize the Weave default to whatever laws of magic/physics are in those places.

Which is why I think of it as more of a power grid, rather than anything else.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  06:38:25  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I do recall you discussing the notion of it being a power grid before. That kind of makes sense as to some thoughts on Karsus as well. Starts getting pretty complicated though. I like the idea I must say. It does make me pause to think on it more.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  16:39:37  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

I like that VERY much and it explains a lot. Every prime has a "Weave" it is just that Toril's has achieved sentience. It also explains spell keys needed for the outer planes: they are basically adapters so that you can hook into that plane's "grid" normally.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  19:17:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some might view spellcasting kind of like a computer program with certain "default directories" chosen at their core. In the absence of a certain command being available in the directory structure you are working from, the "program" being called upon by the spellcaster goes and checks the "default directories" for a similarly named command. If it finds it, it uses it. Thus, if someone were working in "the weave" directory, and they cast fireball, and there's a fireball command in the weave directory, they use that one. If they go somewhere else, "the weave" directory is unavailable, so they default to the "default directories". Doing this allows certain spells to be cast easier or with different results using the weave. At times, Mystra does something to remove "the default directories" from the search list.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  22:34:50  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Some might view spellcasting kind of like a computer program with certain "default directories" chosen at their core. In the absence of a certain command being available in the directory structure you are working from, the "program" being called upon by the spellcaster goes and checks the "default directories" for a similarly named command. If it finds it, it uses it. Thus, if someone were working in "the weave" directory, and they cast fireball, and there's a fireball command in the weave directory, they use that one. If they go somewhere else, "the weave" directory is unavailable, so they default to the "default directories". Doing this allows certain spells to be cast easier or with different results using the weave. At times, Mystra does something to remove "the default directories" from the search list.

I guess that makes the Spellplague a BSOD. That seems appropriate.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  22:49:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Error 404 - Spell not found

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  22:54:28  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Error 404 - Spell not found

That would be a dead magic zone. A wild magic zone would be Error 500 - Internal server error.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  02:12:03  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Same, that's why I find the concept of magic not utilizing the Weave (or Shadow Weave) so problematic.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  04:23:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-Same, that's why I find the concept of magic not utilizing the Weave (or Shadow Weave) so problematic.

If the Weave is a power grid, the Shadow Weave is a bunch of old extension cords plugged in at odd places -- still capable of providing power, and even able to reach places the grid doesn't, but those cables just can't carry as much power.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  14:36:19  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Why? We have people that are "off the grid" now using solar, wind, or hydro. They are localized but if the grid goes down, they still have power.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  14:41:40  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

If the Weave is a power grid, the Shadow Weave is a bunch of old extension cords plugged in at odd places -- still capable of providing power, and even able to reach places the grid doesn't, but those cables just can't carry as much power.

If it were extension cords, it is directly connected. I would see it like a wireless charger. It gets energy from the grid without being physically connected to it. That way, if the grid goes down, it goes down, too. Also, there may not be a plug in the area (dead magic zone) but you can still get power because you don't need to physically touch the grid to get power.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  05:45:16  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe TheIriaeban,

My apologies for the delayed response. I meant to rudeness by it: I usually try to respond swiftly! :)

quote:

quote:
That really doesn't make sense for rune magic. Rune magic was given to the giants by Modrons. Since The Weave is limited to Toril, Modrons would use magic that was not dependent on The Weave because they would also intact with Oerth and the other non-FR primes and their magic would have to work there as is.

Sorry if I am missing something here, but I think I am missing something:

Master Arcanamach stated,
quote:
Looking for any lore and rules on magic that does not access the Weave.
If rune magic being given to the giants by Modrons, and Modrons
quote:
...use magic that was not dependent on the Weave...
, wouldn't that put rune magic back on that list then? [I'm hoping a few shots into my Scotch hasn't caused me to overlook something here, haha].

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  16:21:19  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 3e FRCS clearly states that rune magic uses the Weave on page 55. Prior to that, the 2e Giantcraft book is what introduced rune magic to the realms so it could be that it was intended to be separate but was put under The Weave in 3e to avoid confusion. However, Ed has said this in So Sayeth Ed Part 7 pg 98:

"the Weave is the predominant and "most correct" (and thus, most powerful) means of harnessing natural energies: in other words, it is magic but it's not the ONLY magic (as evidenced by the Shadow Weave and other, less-powerful alternatives to the Weave: table magic, pluma magic, etc.)."

Given the list of magic in the 3e FRCS that is specified to use the Weave, it may be reasonable to think that any type of magic not listed, such as blood magic, does not use the Weave.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  16:35:47  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe TheIriaeban,

Ah yes. Perfect. I appreciate that correction. Thank you!

quote:
Given the list of magic in the 3e FRCS that is specified to use the Weave, it may be reasonable to think that any type of magic not listed, such as blood magic, does not use the Weave.

I do get your point there regarding someone looking at it like that, but at the same time, I think the FRCS and Ed made it pretty clear. If another form of manipulation comes along later, it doesn't matter as it is using the same process/path to make it happen.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  16:49:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, what Ed said was:

"the Weave is the predominant and "most correct" (and thus, most powerful) means of harnessing natural energies: in other words, it is magic but it's not the ONLY magic (as evidenced by the Shadow Weave and other, less-powerful alternatives to the Weave: table magic, pluma magic, etc.)."

That isn't hard to understand and doesn't leave room for your view.

Edit:

Found earlier in this scroll is the also ignored information from Ed:

quote:

@AenastF

If Mystra limited the way The Weave can be used (Mystra's Ban on magic), theoretically, could some Sorcerer (or some other specific spellcaster) that do not rely on The Weave as their source of magic, cast higher than 9th lvl spells as they don't Weave?

@TheEdVerse

Yes and no.
In theory, a spellcaster that doesn’t use the Weave to work magic could elude Mystra’s Ban, BUT we wouldn’t know the ‘level’ of their spells, because arcane spells (ranked in levels) use the Weave.
#Realmslore

Bold print my point: spellcasters can go without using the Weave.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 27 Oct 2020 17:06:59
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  21:54:14  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Darden,

quote:
No, what Ed said was:

That isn't hard to understand and doesn't leave room for your view.

I can certainly appreciate your point there; however, it appears there is some possible conflict between what is put out in the 3rd edition FRCS, and some of what is being put out by Ed as well such as in the statement quoted above. The sheer volume of debate about the subject appears to demonstrate that this isn't quite yet, "settled law" as it were. ;) However, I do feel points made, such as yours Great Reader Darden, due add to the discourse, such that mayhaps some day (possibly today even), this will get "figured" out.

Looking at material a bit deeper now, and taking some excerpts from it, is really bringing about some unusual questions for me. I'll start by laying out some points before I write the complete argument.

Substantive Points

Raw Magic

quote:
Mortals cannot directly shape raw magic. Instead, most who wield magic make use of the Weave. The Weave is the manifestation of raw magic, a kind of interface between the will of a spellcaster and the stuff of raw magic.(3rd Ed. FRCS, pg.55)

What I find interesting here is that first, as stated, the Weave is "raw magic." So, a category to acknowledge and set-aside for a moment. Also, an absolute proclamation that raw magic cannot be accessed by mortals, appears to answer and refute the hypothesis by Great Reader Dallison on 20 Aug 20 @ 1604, that,
quote:
After reading the avatar crisis recently, myrkuls super epic rituals never seemed to fail and it was clear he was using the power of souls to perform these magics. Seems to me that incarnum (soul magic) does not use the weave, and there are places where souls gather that they can break through a weak point in the planes to travel to the outer planes.
I believe the answer as to why my claim is valid is because Myrkul, though in avatar form, was not mortal, and that is why Myrkul could interface with the Weave, or "raw magic" as it were. Again, just another point to acknowledge and set-aside as I continue pressing forward with my argument.

Also, I left out other quotations of material from page 55 of the 3rd Ed. FRCS as the implication about casting/using spells it that someone is choosing to use the Weave for that, and I want to provide credence to the argument that other forms of magic exist apart from the Weave, to fully explore this hypothesis.

Evaluative Analysis of the Weave and Shadow Weave

quote:
Open any three books describing the magic and mage lore of Faerun, and you're apt to find three conflicting accounts of the origins and true nature of magic.(3rd Ed. FRCS, pg.56)

This is a great point to reference from Ed as the author, because it is a predicate for the confusing nature that is facilitating this very discussion within this scroll, and is also apriori to the points made by Ed in a few paragraphs.

quote:
Hear now the truth of things, as best it is understood. To speak simply, all known worlds and planes swarm with ever-present energies. Large and small, free-flowing or bound by physical barriers or magical effects (themselves merely energies shaped and designed to restrict or hold other energies); these surges and dissipations of energy give light and life and movement to everything. They are the stuff of life itself, and they would be present even if all living and once-living things on Toril were stripped away to bare rocks.(3rd Ed. FRCS, pg.56)

A fundamentally crucial element of this inductive analysis is that all "known worlds and planes" have those "ever-present energies." That acknowledgement alone means that whatever is to come by evidence of Ed (as the creator of the Realms) applies everywhere in this case, in terms of Realms lore.

quote:
What some folk refer to as magic and wizards speak of as the Art is the means by which some beings can call on the ever-present energies and wield them to create effects.(3rd Ed. FRCS, pg.56)

Again, just laying substantive points here for the argument as it will be formalized. The warrant (using the Toulmin mode of argumentation term) in this argument is that "energies" in the most recent quote above, are related to the "ever-present energies" from the previous quote. That necessarily relates the "ever-present energies" when "wizards speak of the Art" to that same energy that is present in "all known worlds and planes."

The clear implication here is that those "ever-present energies" are inseparable from the Weave, which would necessarily mean that the Weave is in fact everywhere, and is a moniker for how those of the Realms perceive the "ever-present energies."

quote:
Many types of magic—rune magic, shadow magic (not to be confused with the Shadow Weave), gem magic, elemental magic, even the elven high magic of old—have been spoken of down the years, but these are all merely different processes or paths to the same mastery of natural energies.(3rd Ed. FRCS, pg.56)

This statement appears to be fundamental with the etc., indicating those additional instances of the "ever-present energies" that though may be manifested in a manner so as to appear different, end up being in fact, "different processes or paths to the same mastery of natural energies." Those "natural energies" again, appear to be inductively related to the "ever-present energies."

quote:
She miscalculated. The Weave collapsed so completely that Shar not only failed to gather up its fraying threads, she also lost control over the Shadow Weave.(4th Ed. FRCG, pg.50)

I think of this like matter and dark matter since the belief is that
quote:
If the Weave is a loose mesh permeating reality, the Shadow Weave is the pattern formed by the negative space between the Weave's strands.(3rd Ed. FRCS, pg.58)
It is verifiable by canon that the Weave and Shadow Weave are related based on what happened, inductively, so I argue that it can be said that the "ever-present energies" are as linked to the Shadow Weave as they are a part of the Weave. In essence, though the Shadow Weave is an "alternative conduit" (3rd Ed. FRCS, pg.58)

Alternative Forms of Magic

The alternative forms of magic that have been referenced, such as, but not limited to, "table magic, pluma magic, etc." appear to inductively fall within the range of considerations presented by Ed when he said,
quote:
the Weave is the predominant and "most correct" (and thus, most powerful) means of harnessing natural energies: in other words, it is magic but it's not the ONLY magic (as evidenced by the Shadow Weave and other, less-powerful alternatives to the Weave: table magic, pluma magic, etc.).(So Saith Ed, Jul - Sep 2005)
However, there is more to this than I believe is initially obvious. First, Ed also said in that same "So Saith Ed"
quote:
First and foremost, all gamers should remember that none of the information about the gods of the Realms can truly be trusted: it's a collection of what mortals imperfectly understand and can visualize (muddied by the 'pet theories' of many sages and priests, both current and down the centuries) about divine beings who may or may not impart accurate information to their worshippers (as the power of deities is related to the number and strength of their worshippers, it's best to think of deities as somewhat akin to used-car salesmen in the real world, presenting everything to make themselves look good or at least vitally necessary and as important as possible). So arguments about specifics of the gods (as opposed to their mortal churches and faithful) are essentially futile, because none of the data those arguing use can be trusted. Priests of Mystra often say that "Mystra IS the Weave." The priests are correct: Mystra is the Weave, and if there was another deity controlling magic, whatever precise system of harnessing natural energies (whether it was called the Weave or not) would be (at the least) subtly different from the Weave as Faerûnians know it today.
This is important, because what Ed does by making this proclamation is lay down the rule that nothing is deductive. It will be inductive at most.

So, for anyone at all, to declare that it "...doesn't leave room for your view" should review Ed statement from "So Saith Ed, Jul - Sep 2005", and consider that there is no deductive analysis here, at best it is going to be inductive, and therefore, such decree's are "essentially futile".

Maztican Magic: Hishna/Pluma Magic

quote:
The two forms of magic are the characteristic powers of Maztica. Although very different from each other, each has its roots in the natural aspects of the True World things of light and life and air, in the case of pluma: things of sharpness and scale and venom, for hishna.(Maztica Campaign Set, pg.71)

When it is said there are two forms of magic, it is evident that by forms, it is meant that "Many types of magic" (3rd Ed. FRCS, pg.56) also includes hishna and pluma magic. Going off of this assumption,
quote:
Spells of pluma and hishna interact with other AD&D® game powers just as does normal magic.(Maztica Campaign Set, pg.73)
inductively implies that hishna and pluma magic operate from the very same "ever-present energies" that Ed wrote about.

Additional Evidence

quote:
1) Yes. Blood magic (censored out of the published Realms due to TSR's fears that there'd be gory real-world experiments, and lawsuits), candle magic, table magic, and more. I deliberately wanted magic to be so vast and varied that even "rules-lawyer" players...#Realmslore 2) ..couldn't remember it all at the gaming table, which would lead to a better roleplaying experience, as opposed to metagaming. (Memorizing spell details, limits of magic, and so on, to "beat" the DM and "win" the game. There was too much of that in early D&D play.) #Realmslore (@TheEdVerse, March 9th, 2020, https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1237215843815165957" target="_blank">https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:FQaiwCP4OtIJ:https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1237215843815165957 &cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

The clear implication of Ed's statement here is that these "alternative" forms of magic were to keep things mysterious and to most importantly defeat the "rules-lawyer." These forms (please see my reference to those above in the manner they are references) are clearly part and parcel of the "ever-present energies."

Argument

With my substantive points about raw magic, evaluation of the weave/shadow weave, and alternative forms of magic laid out above, I make my argument.

To begin with, at the beginning when I was making points, I identified a good point by Great Reader Darden, and myself wrote,
quote:
Also, I left out other quotations of material from page 55 of the 3rd Ed. FRCS as the implication about casting/using spells it that someone is choosing to use the Weave for that, and I want to provide credence to the argument that other forms of magic exist apart from the Weave, to fully explore this hypothesis.
In evaluating this after I've completed laying out my points, I feel that this point I made was irrelevant. I wanted to freely and without bias present arguments for access to magic by alternative means, but I standby by the evidence I have gathered.

I believe that there is no way for spellcasters to go without the Weave or Shadow Weave. The evidence laid out above indicates that the concept of "ever-present energies" is the ultimate point of connection between all forms of magic, whether that be hishna, pluma, The Art, The Power, table magic, etc. If everything is connected together by the same energies, then what appears to be the real difference is naming conventions, not a fundamental and different system of magic all together.

Declarations

• If I disagree with you, state your points are invalid, unsound, valid, sound, etc., I am not attacking you. These terms are common parlance in a more formal manner of argumentation, and that is exactly how I mean it: I take no umbrage here.
  • Points, hypotheses, declarations, perspectives, analysis, or any other form of mechanism that has been used to facilitate an academic discussion on these matters before us should be taken in that vein, please. I have a great, abiding affection for rigorous debate and ultimately seek to enjoy that experience, alongside the always sought "right" answer.
  • I am as stated above, approaching this discussion (formal argument) with a neutral perspective. I take no umbrage with anyone if they disagree, agree, or wholly discount anything or everything I have said. Please afford me the same courtesy, as I take no offense by arduous discourse; rather, I seek it out, in an academically polite manner
  • Please (as a request) address my points, point by point, by utilizing the quote function when engaging in the argument. It makes it enormously easier to parse through the large amount of material when I can easily relate a comment, rebuttal, etc. directly to the point at hand.

As always, I look forward to any rebuttals, comments, replies, etc.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000