Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Lonely Citadel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  12:38:23  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings, sages,

I recently noticed that Faith&Avatars (p163) tells about a massive tower, called the "Lonely Citadel", north of Citadel Adbar, disappearing in 1365 DR. It was transported to Mount Celestia "as Torm ascended the Outer Planes".

"Because Torm died in service to his own ethos (following orders) and Torm’s native plane was the Prime Material itself, he was reinstated by Lord Ao. Soon after, Tyr* rewarded his faithful paladin with elevation to lesser power status. In the Year of the Sword, the Lonely Citadel, an isolated single-turreted tower of massive size that crowned a rocky spire in the remote Ice Mountains north of Citadel Adbar, vanished in a burst of divine radiance and reappeared on the flanks of Mt. Celestia as Torm ascended to the Outer Planes. It now forms the heart of his realm, Trueheart, on the layer of Mercuria."
*In Faith & Pantheons, Ao elevated him to lesser power, not Tyr.

I don't manage to find any other information on that "lonely citadel".

1) Do you know anything about it ?
2) Why was it in 1365 DR, and not earlier, after the ToT ?
3) Could that have been his "home" before, when he was walking the realms as a demi-power ? If that case, are all demi-powers grounded in such way ?

I would love to hear your thoughts,

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  14:18:37  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some demipowers resided in the Material Plane, it seems to be the case. I haven't noticed it before, I don't know much about Torm or teh surroundings of Citadel Adbar, but I'll look after it. Have you searched in the FR wiki? As for being some years after ToT, this is not a surprise. One event does not have to be necessarily linked to the other so directly. As with the change in Tyr's priestly powers.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  17:38:33  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your answer. Alas, I didn't find anything in the FR wiki.

Some ideas:

– The lonely citadel was probably an idea that was later discarded.
– We know from later publications that the former realm of human-Torm was probably in the border kingdoms. However, even if I would have thought that Torm would care about his former kingdom, he doesn't tell anything about it to his followers, so even the border kingdoms thing is a theory (I didn't go through the upcoming Border Kingdom book, though).
– When I'm reading it in Faith&Avatars, it feels to me like he brings his home to the upper planes. That's why I was confused it was not done immediatly after his ascension. But that citadel could be any other place of importance to him. Still, it becomes the heart of his divine realm, Trueheart.

I guess I found myself a free hook about my favorite god.

Edited by - Thojan Ralwens on 05 Aug 2020 17:38:58
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  18:54:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Torm is a dwarf.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  21:05:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, it is a "massive" single turreted tower in the Ice Mountains north of citadel adbar. So, its within the Hartsvale area, and its massive. Sounds like something giant related. To note, in classic Norse lore, Tyr is the son of a giant. Now, that wouldn't mean that Torm is a giant, but perhaps he capture some tower from a giant and turned it into his home.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  22:25:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I might be misremembering things, but when Torm fought Bane at the end of the Time of Troubles, weren't they both basically like Giants? I remember envisioning the fight as like a scene out of Power Rangers.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  23:34:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Torm is noted in Faiths & Pantheons as being human before ascending to godhood. There is some detail provided re his mortal life.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  07:02:01  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I might be misremembering things, but when Torm fought Bane at the end of the Time of Troubles, weren't they both basically like Giants? I remember envisioning the fight as like a scene out of Power Rangers.

Exactly, but they both absorbed thousands of souls to reach that height. Their avatar was human, beforehand.
Btw, I've been trying to reach you by PM about the Elves of Faerūn.

The most details I can found are in Champions of Valor, all about (the quest to) Chalsembyr, but nothing about that lonely citadel.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  18:14:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

He was in a statue and they grew the statue big.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2020 :  05:49:02  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Ralwens,

What I am about to share is not canon as far as I can tell; however, the detail is so great, that I have a suspicion that the creator of the map may have some insight that could be of help to you. There is one single towered keep that appears in the "Fuming Barrens" near 'Wyrm Peak', that appears it could be a candidate. Perhaps the creator of the map pulled from assets not on any of our lists?

https://forum.profantasy.com/discussion/9830?DiscussionID=9830

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2020 :  16:19:06  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your focus. I'll try to reach him.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2020 :  20:43:59  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Ralwens,

My pleasure. Please let me know if you discover anything of note from that map maker.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000