Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What would Waukeen do?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  16:07:25  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I am at the point in Iriaebor's history where the Church of Waukeen wants to build a temple. I am looking at having a Council member give a big speech about how the city should not allow them to build a temple there (it will be in a sidebar). All the other temples were either already there (Eldath) or they are there in response to bad events and their offers of assistance were very much appreciated. Also, I am looking at it being Waukeen's fault that Iriaebor is as dangerous as it is in the 14th century because of her teachings about trade (Tyche's approach was very different so there was not such a "cutthroat" approach to trading.)

So, when this guy gives his speach, would she gain offense and turn him into a gold statue? Would she use some other manifestation to show her displeasure? Would she just ignore the guy because she knows already that it is pointless because they have already bought their way into the town via "gifts" of gold to the Council members? Would she do something else entirely?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  16:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While individual worshipers and servants of deities might act in ways contrary to their dogma, a true priest of Waukeen should not use violence, threats or tantrums to try to force someone to profit from a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Iriaebor exists because it's a convenient stop for caravans and a transhipment point onto or from the River Chionthar. That's its only purpose and the only reason it is not simply a collection of farms.

A true servant of Waukeen would point out that if Iraebor wanted to deny Waukeen a temple in the city and prevent all the merchants who kept the city alive with their trade from holding services, getting spiritual advice, being able to do their banking there and having access all the other services provided in a temple of Waukeen, they'd build the temple outside the walls of Iraebor, on the river. Fortify the temple, include inns and other services for caravans inside the walls and build docks, as well as roads connecting it to the Trade Way.

Any sensible Iraeban would see that this would risk their city being bypassed by caravans. Merchants generally worship Waukeen and would not enjoy seeing the goddess disrespected and, quite frankly, if Waukeenar priests could not design a trading stop that was competative with Iraebor, well, they wouldn't be very good Waukeenar, would they?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  17:11:11  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should probably add that I am counting the Dawn Cataclysm happening in 709 DR and that is when Waukeen took over as the god of trade from Tyche. Also, the temple date in Iriaebor is in the early 800s DR so she has been recognized as the god of trade for a little over 100 years and is still actively building her "brand". This merchant is seeing her as an "interloper from the South" and very well may not believe that Tyche is in fact gone. He also feels threatened by change. It has been mentioned before that the people of Iriaebor see the Waukeen priests as "nothing but parasites" (in FRA) and could certainly be a left over from when they first came to town. So, what would Waukeen herself do in this situation? I agree that her priests wouldn't curse the guy but that doesn't mean that she wouldn't.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  17:28:46  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Important to note - and not overtly evident in novels - the gods don't smite people every time they are cursed. They simply lack the power - they are not allowed to kill the worshipers of other gods just like that because it would break the whole system.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  17:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look at where the eventual temple of Waukeen was built in the city. Best location imaginable, dominating the docks and roads through the city.

Clearly, the priests didn't have to work very hard to convince the council. No matter what the common people think (and it's unlikely that anyone cares much about that), those who matter in Iriaebor know very well that trade is the literal lifeblood of the city.

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  17:34:51  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Important to note - and not overtly evident in novels - the gods don't smite people every time they are cursed. They simply lack the power - they are not allowed to kill the worshipers of other gods just like that because it would break the whole system.

Thank you. That is a good point and would remove her killing him on the spot.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  18:03:38  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

Look at where the eventual temple of Waukeen was built in the city. Best location imaginable, dominating the docks and roads through the city.

Clearly, the priests didn't have to work very hard to convince the council. No matter what the common people think (and it's unlikely that anyone cares much about that), those who matter in Iriaebor know very well that trade is the literal lifeblood of the city.

I'm not too sure about that. Different parts of the city has to deal with different levels of stench and filth. You have some tanneries, stock pens, and a slughter house or two in the Lower City so that would be out. You have the Docks with the barge yards and barrel makers (Volo's talks about piles of trash near the Docks) so you have that to deal with. Then, you have the Tor, basically the Beverly Hills of Iriaebor. THAT would be were you would want to put an upscale temple at for the 1-percenters but they didn't get that. They did the best with what they got but I am sure that they pay for people to go around and clean up at least their area so it looks better. Rich people on the Tor would look at going to services at the Temple of Waukeen as having to "slum it" to get to church. However, their "bed n breakfast" services are exactly in the right place.

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2020 :  15:26:05  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

I'm not too sure about that. Different parts of the city has to deal with different levels of stench and filth. You have some tanneries, stock pens, and a slughter house or two in the Lower City so that would be out. You have the Docks with the barge yards and barrel makers (Volo's talks about piles of trash near the Docks) so you have that to deal with. Then, you have the Tor, basically the Beverly Hills of Iriaebor. THAT would be were you would want to put an upscale temple at for the 1-percenters but they didn't get that. They did the best with what they got but I am sure that they pay for people to go around and clean up at least their area so it looks better. Rich people on the Tor would look at going to services at the Temple of Waukeen as having to "slum it" to get to church. However, their "bed n breakfast" services are exactly in the right place.

Given that most of the wealth in Iriabor is going to come through the docks, the possession of a strongpoint capable of controlling them is true power.

Old-fashioned nobles who believe that agricultural land is the only valid wealth might sneer at the bustle of the docks and the smells that accompany the wealth of caravans and shipping, but over a long enough period of time, the wealth derived from trade will marginalize the older nobility who don't participate.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000