Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Halls of the High King conversion 3.5
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2020 :  11:07:49  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,
Did anyone ever convert the great adventure "Halls of the High King" in 3.5 ?
I know a few magic items of the modules are in Magic of Faerun but not all of them, and there is a lot of NPCs. Does anyone have some conversion notes about those NPC and magic items please?
Thanks

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2020 :  22:04:22  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the Adventure in PDF form, so if you want certain NPCs statted out let me know and I'll do what I can to "3.5" them. As for the adventure itself, seems kinda simple. Most of the monsters are already made up into 3.5 versions, so it's usually a question of Encounter balance (if that's something you're interested in).

For example, the 21 male Pirates on the Ghost Ship are detailed as AC 7 (studded leather armor); MV 12; F3s; hp 22 (each); THAC0 18; #AT 1; Dmg by weapon; S 15, D 14, C 14, I 12, W 12, Ch 12; ML 14; AL NE; MU. They are armed with light crossbows and each carries 21 quarrels (1d4 dmg). The bows can be fired once per round to a maximum range of 180 yards; the first strike causes 2-5 rounds of sleep due to poisoned tips (save vs. poison to avoid effects entirely). The pirates also wield throwing axes (1d6 dmg), scimitar (1d8 dmg) and daggers (1d4 dmg). SO, with this info:

Ghost Ship Pirate; CR 3
hp 26 (3 HD)
Male human fighter 3
NE Medium humanoid (human)
Init +2; Senses Listen +3, Spot +3
AC 15, touch 12, flat-footed 13; Dodge
(+3 armor, +2 Dex)
Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +2
Speed 30-ft. (6 squares) in studded leather armor
Melee scimitar +6 (1d6+2/18-20) or
Melee throwing axe +5 (1d6+2/x2)
Melee dagger +5 (1d4+2/19-20) or
Ranged throwing axe +5 (1d6+2/x2)
Ranged light crossbow +5 (1d8/19-20) or
Ranged light crossbow +6 (1d8+1/19-20) within 30-ft. with Point-Blank Shot
Base Atk +3; Grp +5
Atk Options Point-Blank Shot, Poison (Fort DC 13, or fall unconscious)
Abilities Str 15, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 12
Feats Alertness, Dodge, Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot*, Weapon Focus (scimitar)*
Skills Climb +7, Jump +7, Intimidate +7, Swim +7
Possessions dagger, light crossbow with 21 poisoned bolts, scimitar, throwing axes (2)

Edited by - Diffan on 21 Jul 2020 01:28:29
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  12:56:45  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woha! Doesn't seem complicated for you. Thank you very much. I will try to do it too, humbly following your path :)
How did you choose the Feats?

Edited by - Marco Volo on 21 Jul 2020 12:57:00
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  21:11:49  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

Woha! Doesn't seem complicated for you. Thank you very much. I will try to do it too, humbly following your path :)
How did you choose the Feats?

For mooks like these, I usually just pull from the PHB and pick ones that are pretty generic. Alertness, Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus, Power Attack, etc that seems to go with the theme. Pirates are good with their Scimitars, pretty alert, and like to use their Crossbows so I picked things that fit thematically.

For bigger NPCs and Villains, I might get more in-depth or pick unique feats for a more powerful Character. For example, of there's a big brutish Villain, I might go Power Attack, Improved Bull-Rush, and Shock Trooper (complete Warrior) and try to do tons of damage on charge attacks.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  22:39:34  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I'd suggest only detailing monsters and NPCs that you're going to fight to cut down on time and need
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  07:47:39  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a good advice, thank you !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000