Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If Melandrach were to die...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2020 :  01:07:51  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
If Melandrach, the powerful Wild elven "King of The Laughing Hollow" were to die.... how would you have it happen?

Choices:

A small invasion of powerful extra-planar creatures like demons or devils, or Slaadi
A large, overwhelming army of humanoids, like Orcs, Gnolls, Bugbears
A one on one battle with a equally powerful enemy.
Peacefully in old age as he drifts off to Arvandor.
Other... explain why please.

(Anonymous Vote)

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2020 :  05:43:26  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Demon invasions have been overused but there’s too few slaadi invasions. Perhaps some past battle with Queen Morwel of the eladrins spilled into the mortal world. Guenharwyf might have been tricked into slaying the king by Chourst, the slaad lord of randomness.

Just a thought.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2020 :  11:56:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Killed when he fails a save versus Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter that causes him to trip and fall on his own blade, which he dropped in order to hold in his guffawing sides, stabbing through his funny bone and into his still chortling throat.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2020 :  15:17:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need a reason to kill off an NPC before I decide how to kill him off. His death would have to serve the story. I'm not going to do such a thing arbitrarily.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  02:26:03  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I need a reason to kill off an NPC before I decide how to kill him off. His death would have to serve the story. I'm not going to do such a thing arbitrarily.

Not asking you to do any such thing. I'm asking hypothetically.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2020 :  02:59:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

quote:

If there is no reason, then it is arbitrary. Doesn't matter if it's a hypothetical or not.

And if it's arbitrary, then one death is as good as any other. Have him killed by a wereduck, or by drowning in a vat of lime Jell-O after getting 20,000 papercuts, or by having a giant anvil fall on his head. Good or bad, without a story, it's all pointless.

I need a reason to kill an NPC, even hypothetically, before I can choose a way to kill them.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2020 :  21:24:46  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

If there is no reason, then it is arbitrary. Doesn't matter if it's a hypothetical or not.

And if it's arbitrary, then one death is as good as any other. Have him killed by a wereduck, or by drowning in a vat of lime Jell-O after getting 20,000 papercuts, or by having a giant anvil fall on his head. Good or bad, without a story, it's all pointless.

I need a reason to kill an NPC, even hypothetically, before I can choose a way to kill them.

Well that sounds like you've just given up. lol. "Cheshire Grin"

Just pick a valid reason. Sometimes I'm jaded too, but I can always pick valid reasons. Pretend old school TSR asked you to write lore and fluff for that reason to slay Melandrach. Then what would you say?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2020 :  22:00:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The in-setting story and the intended direction dictates the manner of death for the NPC. I can't kill off a major NPC without that story.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2020 :  03:20:05  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The in-setting story and the intended direction dictates the manner of death for the NPC. I can't kill off a major NPC without that story.

WOW!! Okay!! Are we getting our canon straight?

Suppose The King of The Laughing Hollow defends the Coronal of Myth Drannor during 1487 DR. You know that battle... death was upon the elves of Cormanthyr. Can you take it up from there, or do you need a helping hand?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2020 :  13:09:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Suppose The King of The Laughing Hollow defends the Coronal of Myth Drannor during 1487 DR. You know that battle... death was upon the elves of Cormanthyr. Can you take it up from there, or do you need a helping hand?

A netherese enclave fell on him

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2020 :  18:24:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Your "helping hand" comment is unnecessarily snarky. You're asking us to pick the ending of a story without knowing what that story is. Without the story, any ending is as good as any other.

Of course, this new scenario does beg the question, why would Melandrach be in Myth Drannor? But we'll let that slide.

Given this setup, the most logical death would be "A one on one battle with a equally powerful enemy."

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2020 :  18:24:55  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He died in battle against the Rabbit of Caer Bannog.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2020 :  19:55:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

He died in battle against the Rabbit of Caer Bannog.

That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2020 :  21:37:31  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

Yes.... so I'm asking if anyone can suggest how he died that same year?
Did he and a crew of powerful green elves defend the Coronal of Myth Drannor as almost every elf in that city fell to death?

Did he die doing so?

Did he die peacefully in his elven reverie?

Did his two children succeed him?

Was he REALLY a King of the Green Elves? Can we trace his lineage back to the days of the mighty green elf king Tethir? Founder of the Wealdath Forest?

Tethir slayed two red dragons at the same time right? Legendary, epic hero.... Melandrach; King of the Laughing Hollow is a runner up for any woodland sylvan king you can imagine. I couldn't see him as anything else but the family clan of Tethir.

So how do you see him dying? Speculation of course.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2020 :  21:43:41  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Did he and a crew of powerful green elves defend the Coronal of Myth Drannor as almost every elf in that city fell to death?

While this doesn't answer your initial question, I will point out that only a section of Myth Drannor was actually destroyed (confirmed by Ed), and is already being repaired, so it is possible he survived. There were of course casualties, so maybe he did die, but I just wanted to point out Myth Drannor wasn't entirely destroyed.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2020 :  22:05:34  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

While this doesn't answer your initial question, I will point out that only a section of Myth Drannor was actually destroyed (confirmed by Ed), and is already being repaired, so it is possible he survived. There were of course casualties, so maybe he did die, but I just wanted to point out Myth Drannor wasn't entirely destroyed.

Nice... a possible outcome for Melandrach and his selected few. I like where you're going.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2020 :  22:24:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Did he die doing so?

Was he REALLY a King of the Green Elves? Can we trace his lineage back to the days of the mighty green elf king Tethir? Founder of the Wealdath Forest?

Tethir slayed two red dragons at the same time right? Legendary, epic hero.... Melandrach; King of the Laughing Hollow is a runner up for any woodland sylvan king you can imagine. I couldn't see him as anything else but the family clan of Tethir.

I answered. A Netherese enclave fell on him.

But, since it seems you want more.... he was wearing red shoes. Some chick went through the ruins afterward and saw them sticking out from beneath the rubble. They appear to be some red shoes of magical transportation, because when she clicked her heels together she disappeared and went "Home".

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 20 Jul 2020 22:26:05
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2020 :  22:53:29  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Did he die doing so?

I answered. A Netherese enclave fell on him.

But, since it seems you want more.... he was wearing red shoes. Some chick went through the ruins afterward and saw them sticking out from beneath the rubble. They appear to be some red shoes of magical transportation, because when she clicked her heels together she disappeared and went "Home".

Well, aren't you cute. OK so Netheril fell on him... the city in general. If the entire city wasn't destroyed, then where did he die?

As the DM in my game I already know how Melandrach dies. I was just very curious how every one else thought of the subject.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  02:34:57  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He accidentally, tragically, unfortunately cut off his own head while shaving.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  03:17:47  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

He accidentally, tragically, unfortunately cut off his own head while shaving.

I'm not quite sure if you're joking. Or if you're a wicked troll?
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  05:14:40  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You created a thread to discuss ways to kill off a character and weren't expecting joke responses?

It's your game, man. Have him turned into cotton candy and eaten by hungry elf children if that's what appeals to you.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  08:22:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's not that old. He was born in 816 DR.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  08:50:25  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Whom may that be?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  14:19:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Whom may that be?

Melandrach.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2020 :  04:49:04  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quiet green elf by all standards, yet obtuse and unruly by elven dispositions in general. He is the master of The Misty Forest by his late fathers command and wish. He is a legendary scout and skirmisher among the copper and green elves in that mystical woodland.

In 1499 DR he took back his fathers realm of The Laughing Hollow from the Dark Fey who entered the old quarry after Melandrach died slaying the Greater Barghest Lord years before.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2020 :  21:00:58  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In our campaign Melandrach died in 1492 DR slaying a Greater Barghest Lord during a 1 on 1 fight. It was pretty damn epic actually. Our PC's are epic level so we changed his stats to match our game.

Melandrach:King of The Laughing Hollow; CN Wild elf, Half-Fey male of The Misty Forest. CR 25; Ranger 15/ Wildrunner 10 of Erevan Ilesere. Being over 600 years old, Melandrach is wise and witty, clever and carefree. His half-fey heritage is proposed to be responsible for his long life and youthful appearance. Standing at 5'9" tall he is highly skilled at both ranged and melee combat, being able to switch between archery and twin-sword style fighting as a free action. Being born of a royal bloodline of Green elves of Miyeritar and a Leshay faerie, Melandrach is a Half-Fey of impressive might and wisdom. His sons Neronvain and Alagarthas are both Fey-touched wild elves that opposed their father and retreated to Evermeet in exile.

Grithadroll "The Howling Madness": LE Greater Barghest Lord of Gehenna. CR 30; Barbarian 12. Grithadroll is a hulking 12' tall terror from the lower Planes that is noted for discovering a way to transform into a hybrid-form of Barghest, resembling a Bugbear Werewolf of horrific power. He commands a legion of Bugbears, Hobgoblins, Gnolls and lesser Barghest from his throne in the southern Misty Forest. Unlike most Barghest, he has no desire to return to Gehenna and prefers to feed on elves of the old kingdoms and grow ever more powerful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000