Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2020 :  13:54:14  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Apparently, D&DBeyond mistakenly leaked the next D&D storyline. It matches the rumors and hints given and the various art teased by WotC.
I for one really hope it's the real thing.

https://www.enworld.org/threads/is-icewind-dale-rime-of-the-frostmaiden-the-new-d-d-adventure.672626/

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2020 :  22:47:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, goody. Another trip back to an overused area.

Do these guys even realize there's more to the Realms than just the western edge of the continent?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2020 :  23:35:56  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Despite my misgivings about using the area yet again - Wooly being correct here - I do think an awesome Adventure arch could be played using the Icewind Dale region. You could start out with Legacy of the Crystal Shard and then move on to Storm Kings Thunder, and finish up with Rime of the Frostmaiden! One could also change up the order as one sees fit as it correlates with Canon time-frame or even party level.

I'm not overjoyed by seeing yet another Sword Coast area being used (heavens no) but I'm just gonna stay positive here
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2020 :  07:31:14  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only a return to the Sword Coast, but a region we’ve already seen in another adventure? A bit of a letdown.

I do wonder if this’ll pull a Dragon Heist and have a gonzo book 2.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2020 :  01:42:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great call on their part. More Sword Coast North, I say. Visit the well often. It's deep.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2020 :  02:14:24  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read the Drizzt novels, so, what are the strong points of Icewind Dale?

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2020 :  02:19:25  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm okay with it, although it would have nice to see an adventure with an updated overview of one or more of Westgate/Dragon Coast, Cormyr, the Dalelands, or the Moonsea.

I'm omitting Sembia on purpose.

- Ryan

Edited by - Rymac on 14 Jun 2020 02:20:09
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2020 :  03:17:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

I'm okay with it, although it would have nice to see an adventure with an updated overview of one or more of Westgate/Dragon Coast, Cormyr, the Dalelands, or the Moonsea.

I'm omitting Sembia on purpose.

I'd be enthusiastic about any of those locales.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2020 :  03:20:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I haven't read the Drizzt novels, so, what are the strong points of Icewind Dale?

It depends on your preferences, I guess. If you like a cold, sparsely populated, isolated region, with a cluster of small towns and several unfriendly inhabitants, it's great.

If any of those is not to your liking, then I wouldn't suggest a vacation home there.

Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2020 :  08:08:13  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about buried gods under ice?
These books never go anywhere but they never come out without swinging. There's always some powerful stuff, though they have no impact.
>Demon lords >Giants sundered >City sent to hell >ressurection magic stops working

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2020 :  15:13:49  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It depends on your preferences, I guess. If you like a cold, sparsely populated, isolated region, with a cluster of small towns and several unfriendly inhabitants, it's great.

If any of those is not to your liking, then I wouldn't suggest a vacation home there.

With "unfriendly" do you mean the people there is humanocentric and xenophobic? Heck, as if we don't had enough with racism in real life...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2020 :  17:32:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

With "unfriendly" do you mean the people there is humanocentric and xenophobic? Heck, as if we don't had enough with racism in real life...

I mean, unfriendly inhabitants of the dale itself like giants, orcs, goblins, yeti, trolls, goblins -- they've all been hostile to the human presence in the area and have attacked en masse at least once, in the novels. The local barbarians have also attacked the towns; I know that they later sided with the towns, but I don't know if things have changed in the area since then.

This was the case thru the 3E era; I've not touched any of the books that visit that area in a long time, though, so it's possible that it's settled down there. Unlikely, but possible.

The people of Ten Towns were not particularly xenophobic, as I recall. They weren't overly fond of the local dwarves but were not hostile, and chose a halfling representative for one of their towns. Again, though, things could have changed in more recent novels -- I haven't read anything concerning the area's most prominent character since the Thousand Orcs books.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Jun 2020 17:32:46
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2020 :  20:39:38  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You made me curious, so I went and looked: near as I can tell, Icewind Dale wasn’t detailed in 4e, other than a single line in the FRCG calling it “tiny” as part of a broader overview of the North.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2020 :  00:33:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonder if they'll play up any of the storyline of her being the Queen of Air and Darkness (or tied to her via the black diamond). Will they play up why she's suddenly turned evil again, or will they totally ignore their own lore?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2020 :  03:24:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

You made me curious, so I went and looked: near as I can tell, Icewind Dale wasn’t detailed in 4e, other than a single line in the FRCG calling it “tiny” as part of a broader overview of the North.

I don't think it's ever been all that detailed. It's an isolated, frontier-like area, and so far as I know, it's never been home to prior civilizations. There's really not much to cover beyond what's in the novels set in that area.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2020 :  06:14:46  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Legacy of the Crystal Shard was a multi-edition Adventure set in the Ten Towns with a well developed map and campaign guide. I found a copy at a Half-Price Books store and all the monster/encounter info was free for Downloading at the time so I ran it with 4E.

As far as details, it was decent and I really liked the map. The Adventure was so-so but we had fun. I remember we had a member of the party as an Uthgardt Barbarian (Berserker sub-class) that was a pack outcast from his bear lycanthrope tribe. It was a memorable campaign
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2020 :  09:20:01  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The high resolution maps from another thread here show... some points of interest? Probably from all across the history.
But true.. weren't we just in Icewind Dale during The Rise of Tiamat?

POIs: Kelvin's Cairn Bryn Shander Ironmaster Svardborg The Icepeak Hundelstone

Alternatively they could change the map extensively by having her home realm come crashing into the north and existing in Faerun.

I mean, compare these two images.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/3/3a/TheCompanion.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20191201095854
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/e/e8/Frostfell_-_Ron_Lemen.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20081014091010

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

T_P_T

Edited by - PattPlays on 15 Jun 2020 09:34:11
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2020 :  17:37:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In celebration... a book that I wish had been written. Just take a look if for no other reason than the pictures

DICE/DECK BOX BOOK Aurilandür, Rellavar, and the Black Diamond: A Frost Sprite Story of the Winter Court (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4462381) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.

A book box for you dice, minis, etc.. that looks like a possible story book from Toril.

Title
Aurilandür, Rellavar, and the Black Diamond
A Frost Sprite Story of the Winter Court

Back Cover Text
Narrating Voices and Illusory Images
Phantasmically provided by
The Blackstaff, the Seven Sisters,
Jillian Doncastle, Mage-Priest of Deneir,
and Lorey, the psionic sai cyclopedia

Typography Translation into Earth
Common provided by Jillian

Footnotes, Longwinded Historical
Tangents, and Entirely Innocent
Rude Remarks by Lorey.

Text protected by Illusory Script
to prevent secrets from getting out
to the unprepared. Simply speak
the trigger to remove protections
and start the programmed illusions.
Activation words are the name of
Dove's Pet that Elminster brought
home from the Wizard's Fair.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2020 :  20:58:24  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take this with a grain of salt, but according to this leak from Inverse Portal, the upcoming D&D adventure, Rime of the Frostmaiden, takes place in 1450 DR, during the Age of Upheaval. Here's what we know so far. Note that this was translated from Portuguese.

https://www.facebook.com/Jogaod20/photos/a.508132109538404/1154394168245525/?type=1&theater

This afternoon, Inverse portal accidentally made more information available about the upcoming D&D adventure: Icewind Dale - Rime of the Frostmaiden!

Although the article is no longer available, we present the main information you need to know about the adventure!

Icewind Dale - Rime of the Frostmaiden is an adventure that begins on the 1st level and is expected to complete it when they reach the 12th level. Unlike the adventures launched so far, Rime of the Frostmaiden will take place in 1450 DR, in the known Age of Upheaval - when many gods are dead or dying.

The subtitle Icewind Dale - Rime of the Frostmaiden is a word used to symbolize the cold touch of divinity, which can be felt throughout the adventure.
The adventure was inspired by Ridley Scott's Alien; John Carpenter's Otherworld Enigma; At the Mountains of Madness by H. P Lovecraft; and The Lit, by Stanley Kubrick. When Christopher Perkins said "if you enjoyed Curse of Strahd, you'll probably like what's coming", he referred to Rime of the Frostmaiden.

New mechanics
According to Jeremy Crawford, Rime of the Frostmaiden will be the 5th Edition adventure with the largest number of new monsters, and will feature cold variations of classic monsters: Ice Golem and Snow Owl will be some of the new creatures you will find by Icewind Dale.

In addition to monsters, there will be a modification of the Goliath race (which will become resistant to cold damage), new climate threats (such as snows and avalanches), and some minigames (such as a sport played by the Goliaths).

Finally, to create the climate of paranoia in the group, each of them will have a dark secret randomly determined by some letters, and they all know that each member has a stain on their story. Only the Dungeon Master will know the secrets of the group.

Adventure plot (contains spoilers):
#8242;#8242; When winter doesn't end when it should - on the contrary, it gets colder -, the ordinary life of the people of Icewind Dale may cease to exist. Auril (also known as Frostmaiden) is who is causing these disturbances in the region.

The future of Ten Towns is on the threshold of an ice age and if the characters don't intercede, they will all be destroyed. The Ten Burgos are part of a looser confederation whose members compete with each other but cooperate with each other when necessary. In addition to the cold and competition, the confederation also needs to be concerned about the barbaric tribes of Reghed. Characters should perform small missions that will help them explore the environment before being introduced to the mysteries of the region.

Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden will be released on September 15, 2020 and can now be purchased on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3dabdHX

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 18 Jun 2020 21:00:52
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2020 :  22:31:30  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

FINALLY a mountains of madness adventure like I've been wanting!

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2020 :  22:42:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
almost sounds like they're looking to further that idea that they were putting for that in the mountains between Damara and Mulmaster there was buried some temple dedicated to a death god (in like living forgotten realms or something). I think it was Kyuss. It also seems like they may be delving into the stormstar requiem, Talos being portrayed by Gruumsh, and the whole Auril being the Queen of Air and Darkness thing and then Silvanus freeing her from the black diamond.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2020 :  22:51:19  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh FFS, Icewind Dale yet again. Cause it's so under-served by the lore and setting and novels.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2020 :  22:55:43  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The product listing is up and has almost nothing in common with the Portuguese leak above.

Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2020 :  23:26:56  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's actually open for pre-orders now, with a platinum collection already.

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2020 :  00:51:53  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/6/18/21294259/dungeons-and-dragons-new-campaign-icewind-dale-rime-of-the-frostmaiden-details-release-date-dnd

Polygon has already posted an article about it. There are things that coincide with the Portuguese leak (the secret stuff, and that it is about psychological horror).

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 19 Jun 2020 00:53:06
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2020 :  04:44:29  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
meh... As much as I like Icewind dale, its overused now. Go futher into the reghed glacier next time

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2020 :  05:26:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That Polygon thing says Auril has long been associated with the Icewind Dale.

Uh, since when?

And a horror adventure? Even if I had an interest in playing in this area, that alone would turn me away. To each his own and all that, but horror is not what the Realms is about.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2020 :  06:26:00  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Uh, since when?

Wasn't she pretty prominent in the Icewind Dale CRPGs? I thought there was a bit of a sub-plot with followers of her in the Region. Also, I'd expect Frost Giants to pay her homage as well, and they're prevalent in that region too. Maybe because it's always pretty cold and her Domain is Winter/Cold/Ice, etc.

quote:

And a horror adventure? Even if I had an interest in playing in this area, that alone would turn me away. To each his own and all that, but horror is not what the Realms is about.

Horror, as we've seen in tons of media, can come in a variety of flavors and styles - many suited to what the Realms has common amounts of.

A Horror adventure of survival against one singular monster that seems to be chasing them or something they have to go up against with limited resources and options can certainly have a horror-vibe similar to those 80's slasher flicks like Friday: the 13th and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

A Horror adventure involving a small secluded town that you can't escape from and have to face off of the scary -possessed- inhabitants is similar to movies like The Crazies or games like Resident Evil 4. Facing off against hoards of monsters to run away or finally confront what caused the terrible incident. Alternatively, you could use this concept as a sort of Murdering spree conducted by cultists of Bhaal and the PCs have to act as sleuths to find how who these maniacs are and what their purpose is!

A Horror adventure that delves into the Far Realms and has a Cthulhu element to it could certainly be scary. Especially on-board some ship at sea where members of the crew start to disappear!

A Horror adventure in which people of a near-by town (with a ruined abbey to Tymora) start to fall ill, a nearby deserted "plague" ship is blamed for the malady. An important NPC becomes afflicted with this sickness after being found outside and alone, later dies and to the PCs horror becomes the living dead. OF course this is a blatant Vampire/Dracula story but after reading the novel, it was quite a horror story if not super flashy.

Vampires, Liches, Ghosts and Spirits, Goblins (and I mean ones depicted in anime like Goblin Slayer), and other such types of monsters can easily be a catalyst for a Horror-style campaign and these are all very rampant in the Forgotten Realms. Heck you could do a really scary Lycanthrope adventure on some Western Heartlands frontier town - plagued by the beasts of Malar - as they stalk the townsfolk and cut off almost all lines for help.
Go to Top of Page

lookatroopa
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2020 :  09:39:47  Show Profile Send lookatroopa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funnily enough, it wouldn't be the first horror-themed adventure set in Icewind Dale (see Dungeon 220's King of the Wolves).
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2020 :  12:19:42  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lookatroopa

Funnily enough, it wouldn't be the first horror-themed adventure set in Icewind Dale (see Dungeon 220's King of the Wolves).

Wow, just re-read that adventure and yeeup - cultists of Malar on the move and doing nasty-bad things! That actually looks like a really fun and intriguing adventure to run so thanks for the notice!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2020 :  13:51:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

Uh, since when?

Wasn't she pretty prominent in the Icewind Dale CRPGs? I thought there was a bit of a sub-plot with followers of her in the Region. Also, I'd expect Frost Giants to pay her homage as well, and they're prevalent in that region too. Maybe because it's always pretty cold and her Domain is Winter/Cold/Ice, etc.

quote:

Horror, as we've seen in tons of media, can come in a variety of flavors and styles - many suited to what the Realms has common amounts of.

A Horror adventure of survival against one singular monster that seems to be chasing them or something they have to go up against with limited resources and options can certainly have a horror-vibe similar to those 80's slasher flicks like Friday: the 13th and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

A Horror adventure involving a small secluded town that you can't escape from and have to face off of the scary -possessed- inhabitants is similar to movies like The Crazies or games like Resident Evil 4. Facing off against hoards of monsters to run away or finally confront what caused the terrible incident. Alternatively, you could use this concept as a sort of Murdering spree conducted by cultists of Bhaal and the PCs have to act as sleuths to find how who these maniacs are and what their purpose is!

A Horror adventure that delves into the Far Realms and has a Cthulhu element to it could certainly be scary. Especially on-board some ship at sea where members of the crew start to disappear!

A Horror adventure in which people of a near-by town (with a ruined abbey to Tymora) start to fall ill, a nearby deserted "plague" ship is blamed for the malady. An important NPC becomes afflicted with this sickness after being found outside and alone, later dies and to the PCs horror becomes the living dead. OF course this is a blatant Vampire/Dracula story but after reading the novel, it was quite a horror story if not super flashy.

Vampires, Liches, Ghosts and Spirits, Goblins (and I mean ones depicted in anime like Goblin Slayer), and other such types of monsters can easily be a catalyst for a Horror-style campaign and these are all very rampant in the Forgotten Realms. Heck you could do a really scary Lycanthrope adventure on some Western Heartlands frontier town - plagued by the beasts of Malar - as they stalk the townsfolk and cut off almost all lines for help.

Just because you can use the Realms for horror doesn't mean it's a good fit. They created an entire separate setting for the horror stuff -- let's keep it there.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000