Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Why no more FR novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2020 :  18:33:45  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

The decision to kill the Forgotten Realms novel line predates the Hickman/Weis lawsuit by more than a decade, so I don't think that can have anything to do with the initial decision. It may have something to do with quelling any enthusiasm anybody at the company had for revisiting the decision.

Wow, really? That long ago? I believe you—but that's interesting. I thought the decision must have been made around 2014 or so. From 2011–2016 there were more than forty Realms novels published. I guess maybe they decided in 2010 to wind down the line over the following six years?

(While I've got your attention—and if I may be permitted to briefly cross the fandom streams—I quite liked The Blood of Baalshandor.)
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  00:01:10  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers,

quote:
The decision to kill the Forgotten Realms novel line predates the Hickman/Weis lawsuit by more than a decade, so I don't think that can have anything to do with the initial decision. It may have something to do with quelling any enthusiasm anybody at the company had for revisiting the decision.

Well, there you have it, from an author of the Realms! I didn't realize it was that long ago. I stopped paying a much attention after 4e came out, so I didn't know. Thanks for making that clear though!

EDIT: **Adding a question**

Mr. Byers, do you know what led to that initial decision killing the novel line?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

Edited by - cpthero2 on 22 Nov 2020 00:05:21
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  00:03:50  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Delnyn,

quote:
All legal squabbles aside, did WoTC say anything offical to the effect of: "We are the the game business, not the novel business." ? If that is the case, then either independent business must take over the market niche, or people like we do. Not that the latter two groups are mutually exclusive.

I'd love this, but I can't see WotC letting anyone get their hands on those IP's for purposes of getting novels out.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  02:41:48  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure where to find the "Intellectual" in IP.

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Senior Scribe Delnyn,

quote:
All legal squabbles aside, did WoTC say anything offical to the effect of: "We are the the game business, not the novel business." ? If that is the case, then either independent business must take over the market niche, or people like we do. Not that the latter two groups are mutually exclusive.

I'd love this, but I can't see WotC letting anyone get their hands on those IP's for purposes of getting novels out.

Best regards,

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  06:50:41  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Delnyn,

You make a valid point good sir. Perhaps it may be referred to as: "ATTMRESP." Actions Taken That Makes Realms Enthusiasts Sad Property.

I think it makes more sense, personally. haha

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  16:24:46  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, so I have a crappy sense of time. I went back and checked, and damned if THE REAVER (my final Realms novel) didn't come out in 2014. Less than a decade ago even if it feels like a long time ago to me. I stick by my fundamental point, though, that the decision to end the Realms novel line predates the Hickman/Weis lawsuit by years.

There had been verbal discussions of the books I meant to write after THE REAVER, but WotC never offered me a contract, and after some months had gone by I figured out that things had changed and they had no intention of ever doing those books.

During that period, new Realms books were being published, but I believe that was because they had already been contracted for. I don't think anybody was getting any new contracts.

As to why the decision to kill the line was made, I don't know. You have to understand, I was not a company employee privy to such discussions. I was just a freelancer hired for certain projects. I can speculate that the novels weren't making enough money to make it seem worth the trouble of putting them out, at least in the eyes of some executive at Hasbro, WotC's parent company, or maybe that guy simply thought, "Hey, we're a game company, not a book company, so to hell with this." Again, let me stress that this is purely speculation on my part.

John Daker, I'm glad you liked BLOOD OF BAALSHANDOR. Thanks for taking the time tot ell me so.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  21:12:42  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers,

quote:
As to why the decision to kill the line was made, I don't know. You have to understand, I was not a company employee privy to such discussions. I was just a freelancer hired for certain projects. I can speculate that the novels weren't making enough money to make it seem worth the trouble of putting them out, at least in the eyes of some executive at Hasbro, WotC's parent company, or maybe that guy simply thought, "Hey, we're a game company, not a book company, so to hell with this." Again, let me stress that this is purely speculation on my part.

If you're so interested, this article I am linking to is from a former VP of WotC, Ryan Dancey. It seems to articulate well what the reasons were from a business perspective, as opposed to Bruce Cordell's explanation in Dungeon #366 in his interview. If you read it, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on it.

https://www.enworld.org/threads/wotc-ddi-4e-and-hasbro-some-history.661470/

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  21:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It may sound like heresy, but if I'm being honest, I'm not really that interested anymore. I liked writing Forgotten Realms fiction, but I moved on and have written many other things since I had the plug pulled on me. It's kind of ancient history to me now.

I did read the article, though. Unless I missed something, it doesn't address the cancelation of the novel line unless, perhaps, by implication. You asked my opinion of it, but since, as I explained, I was never a company insider, I don't have the background that would let me form an informed, intelligent opinion.

I will say that if 4th edition and the changes it brought to the Realms were the problem, it's ironic because THE REAVER and the other five books in that series were written specifically to undo changes that 4e had brought to the Realms that many fans disliked. So from that perspective, it's too bad readers never got to see what we novelists would have done with the restored Realms.

Edited by - Richard Lee Byers on 22 Nov 2020 21:59:22
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  22:40:42  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers,

No, not at all. I have no idea what it is like to be an author, so I have no way to speak to it or the experience.

quote:
I did read the article, though. Unless I missed something, it doesn't address the cancelation of the novel line unless, perhaps, by implication.

I believed it to be by implication there, and Bruce Cordell came out and admitted it was partially to do with closing the lore gap between new and old users. Effectively to eliminate that barrier to enter.

quote:
You asked my opinion of it, but since, as I explained, I was never a company insider, I don't have the background that would let me form an informed, intelligent opinion.

Fair enough.

quote:
I will say that if 4th edition and the changes it brought to the Realms were the problem, it's ironic because THE REAVER and the other five books in that series were written specifically to undo changes that 4e had brought to the Realms that many fans disliked. So from that perspective, it's too bad readers never got to see what we novelists would have done with the restored Realms.

Yeah, I feel like it was the impossible task. By the way, in no way is that meant as a critique on your writing of course. Fan rage can be impossible to quell it seems at times (the Realms, and look at the Star Wars rage too). I think the books just came after too much damage, namely Bruce Cordell confirming what was alleged, but until that interview, not 100% confirmed. I feel it was like Grand Coulee breaking, and trying to erect something to stop it when the water was already pouring down range.

On a completely separate note: wow, I had no idea you were a fencer! That looks brutally difficult to learn, but must keep you in shape for sure!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  23:33:23  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have to admit that for a number of reasons, I haven't fenced in a while. It is great fun, though, and I miss it. Like other forms of exercise, it's good for you too, although, also like other forms of sport, it can create its own sort of problems if you do it for long enough. After a couple decades, it was rough on my knees, and there's also the issue that it develops the body asymmetrically. These days I go to the gym (or did before COVID-19), and while that's not nearly as much fun, it's probably even better for me health- and fitness-wise.

Fencing isn't the easiest sport to learn. There's probably not a single posture or action in fencing that is something the body would naturally do otherwise. But if you're interested, it's worth trying, and you don't have to get good (I don't know that I ever got better than mediocre, and that only with epee, not foil or sabre) to have fun.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  23:53:12  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers,

quote:
I have to admit that for a number of reasons, I haven't fenced in a while. It is great fun, though, and I miss it. Like other forms of exercise, it's good for you too, although, also like other forms of sport, it can create its own sort of problems if you do it for long enough. After a couple decades, it was rough on my knees, and there's also the issue that it develops the body asymmetrically. These days I go to the gym (or did before COVID-19), and while that's not nearly as much fun, it's probably even better for me health- and fitness-wise.

I can only imagine in the sport of fencing. I boxed in our Army and I get the assymetric movements. It doesn't seem to go easier on a person as they age, that is for sure.

quote:
Fencing isn't the easiest sport to learn. There's probably not a single posture or action in fencing that is something the body would naturally do otherwise. But if you're interested, it's worth trying, and you don't have to get good (I don't know that I ever got better than mediocre, and that only with epee, not foil or sabre) to have fun.

It looks like it is extremely difficult, from observing motions of the body, etc. Lateral movement in boxing is very important so you can move with the motion of your punches to maximize power on delivery. It seems like it is much more technical in subtle movements. Though, that is just from observation, and not experience.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000