Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Novel Lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 38

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2021 :  12:09:57  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Glad to be of help. It's not an awesome book, but it's not a stinker either.

One thing that's just occured to me is that the Hartwick dynasty has lasted 1000 years, that means humans were in the ice spire valleys around 300 DR which seems a little early to me. Makes it likely that the Hartwicks are Netherese or Ice Hunter or Rengarth.

IMO, the biggest problem with this series of novels, FOR7 - Giantcraft, and the larger body of Realmslore is the intersection of their respective timelines and geography. Essentially this book and FOR7 - Giantcraft are written as if Ostoria fell about 1,000 years ago and largely occupied the High Ice and Utter North.

And yet we know from other Realmslore that Ostoria probably stretched from the Moonsea to the Utter North and down to the Vilhon Reach. And that it fell roughly 25,000 years ago. So we end up with a 24,000 year gap that is completely ignored by the novels or FOR7 - Giantcraft and a geography that makes this a tiny backwater of Greater Ostoria.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 28 Oct 2021 12:10:43
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2021 :  12:16:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tiny portion yes, but backwater perhaps not.

I prefer the notion that the twilight vale is where the royal families of giants retreated to. It is also possible that this is where Otheas remains are.

Hartkiller battles a storm giant paramount but no explanation to what a paramount is. I figured a paramount was the next in line to the bloodline of annams children, a direct descendant of stronmaus or grolantor or the others.

Just my own musings, but it seemed right to try and make this place somewhat special considering the connection to lanaxis.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2021 :  13:37:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Glad to be of help. It's not an awesome book, but it's not a stinker either.

One thing that's just occured to me is that the Hartwick dynasty has lasted 1000 years, that means humans were in the ice spire valleys around 300 DR which seems a little early to me. Makes it likely that the Hartwicks are Netherese or Ice Hunter or Rengarth.

IMO, the biggest problem with this series of novels, FOR7 - Giantcraft, and the larger body of Realmslore is the intersection of their respective timelines and geography. Essentially this book and FOR7 - Giantcraft are written as if Ostoria fell about 1,000 years ago and largely occupied the High Ice and Utter North.

And yet we know from other Realmslore that Ostoria probably stretched from the Moonsea to the Utter North and down to the Vilhon Reach. And that it fell roughly 25,000 years ago. So we end up with a 24,000 year gap that is completely ignored by the novels or FOR7 - Giantcraft and a geography that makes this a tiny backwater of Greater Ostoria.

Perhaps a splinter realm, a remnant of the original? Or a successor state that took the name of its predecessor.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2021 :  13:48:50  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

That's odd. I thought the language of Calimshan was Alzhedo. Is Everni some kind of local dialect?

You are indeed correct. I would humbly offer the following: "Everni" is an Alzhedo term meaning "lawless".
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2021 :  18:21:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tiny portion yes, but backwater perhaps not.

I prefer the notion that the twilight vale is where the royal families of giants retreated to. It is also possible that this is where Otheas remains are.

Hartkiller battles a storm giant paramount but no explanation to what a paramount is. I figured a paramount was the next in line to the bloodline of annams children, a direct descendant of stronmaus or grolantor or the others.

Just my own musings, but it seemed right to try and make this place somewhat special considering the connection to lanaxis.

The location of Twilight Vale and the remains of Othea is maddeningly imprecise in the novels. The best I've been able to come up with is both are located in the Utter North (the lands north of the Spine of the World) and that the "northern" coast of Faerun bends NE from Icewind Dale. So basically you could walk NNW from Hartsvale and hit the shore of the arctic sea (buried under the ice cap).

I mostly got this from a close read of the third novel combined with FOR7 - Giantcraft.

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2021 :  20:19:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading Realms of Infamy next, a few interesting things so far.

Erlunn, an elven civilisation in the Northlands that buried its dead around the Unicorn Run.
Never heard of this one before.

Rysheos, a settlement a days ride north of Soubar.

And then we get to Elaith Craulnober. The moonblades supposedly can read personality and motivation and judged Elaith unworthy.
However, when i read the novel i find Elaith to be a perfectionist, traditionalist, devoted to duty, and loves Amnestria. Nothing in the first chapter hints at cruelty and evil.
The moonblade rejects him and he becomes the monster it predicted. The question is was he always destined to be a monster or did the moonblade make him into one.
It adds weight to the idea that the moonblades although intended to be a force for law (not necessarily good) and choose a ruler of the elves to unite them, actually has been subverted by Malkizid to divide the elves. The moonblades detect a weakness that can be exploited and so refuse perfectly worthy individuals, that can only cause hatred and resentment among the elven houses.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2021 :  20:57:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Reading Realms of Infamy next, a few interesting things so far.

Erlunn, an elven civilisation in the Northlands that buried its dead around the Unicorn Run.
Never heard of this one before.

I'm pretty sure the story misspells "Eaerlann," and that "Erlunn" is not separate from "Eaerlann."

But I suppose you could add ANOTHER ruined elven kingdom. Maybe an early one that was swallowed up by Aryvandaar before the Crown Wars officially started. Perhaps a neighbor of Pharrenaar (now known as the Pharren Uplands)?

(See Dragon #228, page 32.)

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 28 Oct 2021 20:57:51
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2021 :  21:47:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eaerlann seems likely correct since the text stated they retreated centuries ago and the High Forest swallowed it.

Only thing that doesnt work is the High Forest swallowing it. It implies either they didn't live in a forest or wood, or that their tree land wasnt connected to the High Forest.

A burial place for elves is often away from the main settlements so it is possible these elves lived in the Grey Vale region or in the forest on the other side.

Not sure about the timings but I expect the Grey Vale was abandoned after Ascalhorn erupted with fiends and swallowed the North.
The elves of Eaerlann could have survived for a time as a new realm that was abandoned when the humans returned and the High Forest swallowed their burial places once again.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2021 :  22:39:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Only thing that doesnt work is the High Forest swallowing it. It implies either they didn't live in a forest or wood, or that their tree land wasnt connected to the High Forest.

Sure it works. They could have lived in the forest, but controlled its growth within their borders. After the fall of the kingdom, they were no longer controlling that growth, so the forest grew over the buildings and roads and such. Hence, the forest swallowed the kingdom, because now it's all overgrown and buried under trees and such.

Particularly wild areas, it doesn't take long for nature to encroach upon previously-open areas, if no one is stopping it.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2021 :  14:26:05  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And then we get to Elaith Craulnober. The moonblades supposedly can read personality and motivation and judged Elaith unworthy.
However, when i read the novel i find Elaith to be a perfectionist, traditionalist, devoted to duty, and loves Amnestria. Nothing in the first chapter hints at cruelty and evil.
The moonblade rejects him and he becomes the monster it predicted. The question is was he always destined to be a monster or did the moonblade make him into one.

I read this as: Elaith was a good elf... in fair weather and by the book. That is: did well when it was a tutorial in easy mode.
And was unaware of how it's related to the real game. So when fair weather ended and he found himself in a situation his "book" didn't cover, he was unable to handle this gracefully.
Did you read The Man that Corrupted Hadleyburg?

More to the point, his moonblade's rejection as such did not necessarily have anything to do with what state he could or could not reach on this or that then-hypothetical path. That's an external unfounded assumption. He was tested and found wanting. As he was at the moment of this test. That's it.
Maybe it was weakness of spirit which also led to his "corruption", maybe something else. After all, old moonblades have long and custom lists of demands. The intense training Arylin took shows it's a tough deal, no?

Elaine Cunningham later clarified that normally Elaith could prepare himself properly, or decline it altogether if he clearly isn't up to this particular blade, but as an orphan had nobody to teach him about such things. So he simply took it for granted... and oops, it wasn't granted at all.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2021 :  16:13:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

I read this as: Elaith was a good elf... in fair weather and by the book. That is: did well when it was a tutorial in easy mode.
And was unaware of how it's related to the real game. So when fair weather ended and he found himself in a situation his "book" didn't cover, he was unable to handle this gracefully.
Did you read The Man that Corrupted Hadleyburg?

More to the point, his moonblade's rejection as such did not necessarily have anything to do with what state he could or could not reach on this or that then-hypothetical path. That's an external unfounded assumption. He was tested and found wanting. As he was at the moment of this test. That's it.
Maybe it was weakness of spirit which also led to his "corruption", maybe something else. After all, old moonblades have long and custom lists of demands. The intense training Arylin took shows it's a tough deal, no?

Elaine Cunningham later clarified that normally Elaith could prepare himself properly, or decline it altogether if he clearly isn't up to this particular blade, but as an orphan had nobody to teach him about such things. So he simply took it for granted... and oops, it wasn't granted at all.

To me, Elaith's biggest weakness was that he tried to find and fulfill a role. He wasn't charting his own path as much as he was finding a pre-determined route to follow.

He was the quintessential elf because that was the role he chose, the one he thought he should be fulfilling -- and then the moonblade's rejection made him realize this wasn't the right path. He then found himself on the path of being a villain, and embraced that path. Then Arilyn and Danilo came along, and he began to realize that maybe he could become his own person instead of just assuming a role.

Having a daughter, reawakening the moonblade, and the Maorkiira Hadryad -- these were all learning experiences for him, and it was these experiences that made him start living his own life.

Like Arilyn, Elaith had to truly learn who he was, and learn how to integrate the different aspects of his life into one whole.

As for his moonblade, I'd always thought that it rejected him because he was following a role and not living up to his own potential. Elaine did that short story "Wolves and Dragons", though, and that story adds another dimension.

House Craulnober seems to have had two (at least) potential heritages: that of a dragonrider, and the "wolf" heritage. I'd suspect, given Elaith's half-silver dragon cousin and the things the faerie says in the story (and an excerpt Elaine briefly shared), that the house was more known for the dragonrider side, and that the moonblade was suited for that role. Elaith, however, got the wolf heritage -- hence his later success as a predator.

Or maybe both heritages were equal, and it depended on training -- and Elaith never got the training to embrace the dragonrider side.

Either way, the moonblade was the blade of a dragonrider, and as a wolf, Elaith would not have been able to use it properly.

I'm also inclined to think that House Craulnober has included at least one lythari, in the past, and that's where the wolf side comes from.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2021 :  16:25:15  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As for his moonblade, I'd always thought that it rejected him because he was following a role and not living up to his own potential. Elaine did that short story "Wolves and Dragons", though, and that story adds another dimension.

House Craulnober seems to have had two (at least) potential heritages: that of a dragonrider, and the "wolf" heritage. I'd suspect, given Elaith's half-silver dragon cousin and the things the faerie says in the story (and an excerpt Elaine briefly shared), that the house was more known for the dragonrider side, and that the moonblade was suited for that role. Elaith, however, got the wolf heritage -- hence his later success as a predator.

Or maybe both heritages were equal, and it depended on training -- and Elaith never got the training to embrace the dragonrider side.

Either way, the moonblade was the blade of a dragonrider, and as a wolf, Elaith would not have been able to use it properly.

I'm also inclined to think that House Craulnober has included at least one lythari, in the past, and that's where the wolf side comes from.

Nice analysis.

I may be forgetting, but where was this short story published?

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2021 :  17:06:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a bad idea, but doesnt quite match with how / why the moon blade reawakened.

If it stopped working because he was not being true to himself why reactivate when he nearly dies saving another, his entire life on Evermeet was protecting others.

If it reactivated because he was thinking about his daughter why reject him when he was due to marry amnestria who he seems to have genuinely loved.

The reactivation should have as much to do with it as the rejection and the two dont match up. Destroy one life where he was being a traditional elf, pure of heart, furious, etc, only to reactivate when he considers the future of his line by having a child and wanting to provide for her.

I still conclude the looking for weaknesses and exploiting then is part of its mission and while it appears to be a good thing it is actually pretty awful. By testing people you put them under stress and cause negative personality traits - anxiety, jealousy, greed, fear, anger they all lead to the dark side.

As a powerful high elf magic ritual the big flaw of the moon blades should be that they divide the elven race and mark some of it's best and brightest as unworthy and exiles purely because they could not take the stress of the test.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 30 Oct 2021 17:08:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2021 :  20:26:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not a bad idea, but doesnt quite match with how / why the moon blade reawakened.

If it stopped working because he was not being true to himself why reactivate when he nearly dies saving another, his entire life on Evermeet was protecting others.

What does protecting others have to do with being true to one's self?

Besides, he was protecting others as part of his role. It wasn't who he was, it was what he was doing, because it was expected of him.

quote:

If it reactivated because he was thinking about his daughter why reject him when he was due to marry amnestria who he seems to have genuinely loved.

He loved Amnestria but still was living a role. Awakening the blade for Azariah was trying to give her a heritage -- it was him choosing a path and seizing control of his own life.

quote:

The reactivation should have as much to do with it as the rejection and the two dont match up. Destroy one life where he was being a traditional elf, pure of heart, furious, etc, only to reactivate when he considers the future of his line by having a child and wanting to provide for her.

Part of the rejection was that he was the last of his family. Reawakening the blade couldn't have happened without there being another to pass it to, because the point of the blades was to judge a family line.

quote:

I still conclude the looking for weaknesses and exploiting then is part of its mission and while it appears to be a good thing it is actually pretty awful. By testing people you put them under stress and cause negative personality traits - anxiety, jealousy, greed, fear, anger they all lead to the dark side.

Testing people can also bring out the best in them. Some people crumple under pressure, some people rise to the occasion.

Since the point of the blades was to find a ruler, I think marking as unworthy those who couldn't handle pressure is a damned good idea.

quote:

As a powerful high elf magic ritual the big flaw of the moon blades should be that they divide the elven race and mark some of it's best and brightest as unworthy and exiles purely because they could not take the stress of the test.

The race was already divided, and while you may think it's a great idea to have leaders that cave under pressure, I think you'll find you're in a minority.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2021 :  20:35:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Nice analysis.

I may be forgetting, but where was this short story published?

Thank you. Part of why I like Elaine's writing so much is that it's so much easier -- and more interesting! -- to get into the heads of her characters. A lot of authors don't go that in-depth on character thoughts and feelings.

Elaine published the story twice, once on Patreon (where she filed the serial numbers off, making the story about an elf named "Thaile"), and also on Facebook (without the serial numbers filed off).

Click here for the Facebook post (note that you have to be signed into Facebook).

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2021 :  21:42:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everybody crumbles under pressure, it just depends upon the type for different people.

All elven high magic rituals should have a flaw, it's their thing. So what is it for the moon blades. Something so powerful, to magically enchant hundreds of blades with a single purpose and a single goal has to have an unforeseen consequence, that's what elven high magic is all about. Moon blades should not be a perfect sacred cow, they should have the flaw like all other elven high magic. It is poetic justice that their means of fulfilling the purpose becomes counter productive (by testing and seeking flaws it creates them, and by trying to find someone to unite the elves it divides them).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2021 :  00:47:43  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Elaine published the story twice, once on Patreon (where she filed the serial numbers off, making the story about an elf named "Thaile"), and also on Facebook (without the serial numbers filed off).

That was an unexpected delight. Thank you. A great story.

By chance did she ever release the other story she mentioned in the intro to this one?

Thanks,

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2021 :  01:48:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That was an unexpected delight. Thank you. A great story.

By chance did she ever release the other story she mentioned in the intro to this one?

Thanks,

--Eric

I don't recall. It's been a while.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2021 :  21:31:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still going through Realms of Infamy, a surprising number of stories about Cormyr and the Western Heartlands region.

A Matter of Thorns introduces an adventuring guild of sorts the High Moor Heroes' Guild which presumably operates out of Cormyr and the Western Heartlands.
Interestingly the main bad guy in this novel was a plant. Gardener gets killed and curses the lord with his dying breath. The rose bush he tended and died upon becomes sentient. It feeds off people and if it keeps them alive it enslaves them to its will, they become part of a hive mind of sorts.
Not come across a plant based baddie before (Moander is the closest i think but he's a god). Its a good way of creating the baddie as well, a simple curse by a simple man, no flashy spells, no gods, just a dying man's last hate filled wish.
At the end the plant is killed but it would appear the enslaved people are still enslaved, which implies the plant survived somehow. Is there some life in the root systems (roses are perennials after all), or could it be that there is something of the rose left in each of its minions and when they die and are buried a new carnivorous rose bush will emerge from the seed within their corpse (or maybe both).
Really liked that story for the simplicity of it's baddie and the story.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2021 :  15:04:59  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To me, Elaith's biggest weakness was that he tried to find and fulfill a role. He wasn't charting his own path as much as he was finding a pre-determined route to follow.
He was the quintessential elf because that was the role he chose
Not even chose, fell in because he was "supposed to".
Flip side of the same coin. Come to think of it, "being led too much and making one's own decisions not enough" makes perfect sense as a reason for rejection, considering the moonblades' purpose is to select royals.
quote:
Elaith, however, got the wolf heritage -- hence his later success as a predator.

As opposed to... the dragons? Also, wolves are good team players.

quote:

I still conclude the looking for weaknesses and exploiting then is part of its mission and while it appears to be a good thing it is actually pretty awful.

Their purpose was to select the monarch and royal clan. In this context, "live up to the claim or don't claim" and "there's no try, do or die" is a perfectly sensible approach.
If there's a problem with this solution, it's that too many elves mostly of above-average usefulness and influence die. Which no doubt would seem acceptable back when the greatest obvious threat to the elvenkin was their limited ability to cooperate, but eventually became a risk not just personally for the participants.
It's the same as with all those self-sacrificing High Mages. The problem is not that some elves already past their prime die prematurely in a dramatic way, but that opportunity cost includes many years of teaching and/or R&D each of these extremely competent magic users could do. It turns out this was a bad deal, even for mythals.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2021 :  21:19:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Greatest Hero Who Ever Died

Weirdest novel i've read in a while. It was quite clearly realms historically inaccurate.

Set somewhere near Sossal with a King Caen, a noble knight, references to Beshaba, Cyric, and Loviatar. However, Sossal's monarchy collapsed in 1319 DR and Cyric did not exist at that point in time.

Thankfully the whole thing is told from the point of view of a traveller and someone even says bards are economical with the truth.

If i had to place this in the realms i think Capel Curig would be somewhere in Damara / Vaasa as Damara is a monarchy and once ruled part of Vaasa which is close enough to be affected by the Great Ice Sea and Damara and Vaasa both have trade connections to Sossal.

Timewise King Caen's rule would have to be before 1319 DR, but that doesnt mean the telling of the story isnt set in present day (ignoring the present tense reference of the inhabitants to King Caen etc).

But the rest of the story i wouldnt take literally. The naming is all weird - Sir Paramore (a reference to love), Princess Daedra (a fey name), Lord Ferris (a reference to iron to which fey are vulnerable), the sword Kneuma (i'm assuming this is like pneumonia and something to do with wind or disease). We have children that could represent fairies. At one point Ferris is said to look like a spider (ettercap).

Sossal is currently ruled by a druidic conclave so perhaps the truth of this story is something different.

I'm thinking King Caen might have wanted to marry or capture the fairy princess (which is named Daedra in this story) or perhaps this Daedra bewitched him.

Sir Paramore with all his head chopping off evil seems like some kind of horrible monster able to change appearance and enslave people to his will, and with a penchant for collecting heads.

Lord Ferris seems like another monster, perhaps an ettercap, fighting with Sir Paramore.

Sir Paramore and Lord Ferris look to be rivals for Princess Daedra and try to take her for their own.

The fairy children may be transformed real children of the humans or just fairies. It looks like they are tricked by Sir Paramore into helping him kill Lord Ferris.

Dorsoom i'm not sure about, the name doesnt provide any clues that i can think of.

In the end Paramore slays Dorsoom and is exiled. No mention of King Caen or Princess Daedra. Perhaps King Caen and Princess Daedra have children together. These part fey descendants rule over a land of humans and fairies alike, uniting the two previously warring groups. Buut, low birth rates for part fey lineages mean that there is a succession problem in the future.

But in 1319 DR there are twins born. Twins are a bad omen for fairies - one dark, one light, always in conflict. Their fighting slays their father and they are banished. The druids take over.

Just some thoughts i'm putting out there, might help detail Sossal some more. On the surface this novel can't be true, but if not taken literally you could make quite a tale from its themes and elements.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2021 :  08:50:17  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But the rest of the story i wouldnt take literally. The naming is all weird - Sir Paramore (a reference to love), Princess Daedra (a fey name), Lord Ferris (a reference to iron to which fey are vulnerable), the sword Kneuma (i'm assuming this is like pneumonia and something to do with wind or disease). We have children that could represent fairies. At one point Ferris is said to look like a spider (ettercap).
[...]
Lord Ferris seems like another monster, perhaps an ettercap, fighting with Sir Paramore.

Ah, but ettercaps don't turn into spiders. But there are creatures who do so (and various magic users, obviously).
Starting with good old aranea. Rather far from Spider Swamp, but as the saying goes, for a rabid dog seven miles is not a detour.
Then again, may be from elsewhere, and since planewalking is likely to be involved, the top 3 possibilities are Ravensgate/Ravens Bluff (those old gates, not all of which even stay closed), Thay and Narfell (places where habit of poking other planes with sticks is or was widespread).
Or a werespider, however unlikely.
quote:
would be somewhere in Damara / Vaasa as Damara is a monarchy and once ruled part of Vaasa which is close enough to be affected by the Great Ice Sea and Damara and Vaasa both have trade connections to Sossal.

With Narfell in between.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2021 :  09:08:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not taking the story literally, it didnt say Lord Ferris turned into a spider, but the description of him was long gangly limbs blocking the passage like a spider. If its all metaphors and twisted truth then Lord Ferris could have been a spider like creature that preyed upon the fairy folk.

The depiction of Capel Curig was more traditional medieval fantasy, with an inn etc. I'm not sure it would fit in Narfell with its horse nomad culture and dislike of outsiders. Not that it has to be in Vaasa, Damara, i just figured it needed to be cold due to the description of the snow storm outside the inn, it needs to be near the Great Glacier to be blown by its winds, it needs to have some kind of trade link to have common folk know about Sossal with any definity.

I'd like to hear other people's take on this novela, are they taking it literally and trying to fit it into Sossal's history as written, or have they got another approach, or just ignoring it altogether.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2021 :  09:53:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The majority of the "written for anywhere but plonked in the Realms" short stories are way too much work to save. Way too much.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2021 :  10:16:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Challenge accepted. I'll add it to my to do list

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2021 :  09:11:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realms of Infamy

So High a Price (1334 DR Year of the Blazing Brand)
Ed Greenwood

So high a price
So willingly paid
Hot blood flows
And a ruler is made.
Mintiper Moonsilver
Ballad of a Tyrant
Year of the Turret (1360 DR)

Hot Mirtul day in Zhentil Keep
Ledgebird, nimble, songbird
Taersel, servant to Manshoon
First Lord Manshoon, dressed in purple silk robes worked with rearing gold behirs.
Flaring sleeves are the latest fashion in Zhentil Keep
Arglath the beholder, summoned by Manshoon to Zhentil Keep
Manshoon intends to slaughter all his opponents at the next council meeting, he is allying with Arglath for help in the slaughter
Mulhorandi lion-wine sipped by the young nobles of Zhentil Keep
Thaerun Blackryn, young noble, son of one of the lords of Zhentil Keep (Lord Blackryn), not frightened by the rising Zhentarim. Owns a magical sceptre he can call to his hand at will (blast sceptre????)
Naerh, noble son of one of the lords of Zhentil Keep
Lord Chess conspiring with the noble sons of the lords of Zhentil Keep
Lords of Zhentil Keep and the generation before smashed upstart mages
Mulmaster dared to challenge Zhentil Keep before
Cult of the Dragon, Sembians, Thayans, Calishites, their agents are unmasked every month
The Bloodfeuds, a time when the noble families of Zhentil Keep slaughtered each other. Any noble today harming another noble is slain, polymorphed, exiled, etc by the council.
The Council of Zhentil Keep use the zhentarim and the priests of Fzoul to protect them from the threats of Thayans, Cult of the Dragon agents, etc.
Eldarr, noble son of one of the lords of Zhentil Keep
The Shadowsil, sleeping with Lord Chess. Powerful enough to slay many noble sons with a single spell.
Manshoon, leader of the Zhentarim has become First Lord of the Council. Zhentarim are known as dark wizards and mage slayers who grow ever more mighty in magic. Manshoon has driven away many mages of Zhentil Keep that might oppose him.
One of the sons of the lords of Zhentil Keep has been away in Calimshan for a while (why????)
Many old and great lords of Zhentil Keep have taken to their bed ill, including the last Battlelord.
Lord Chess grew up with Manshoon. He knows Manshoon is a master of slow wasting poisons that deal gradual death and raise no alarm. Manshoon killed his own parents with these poisons to gain their gold. Possesses a plain gold ring that allows him to call forth a loyal dragon, he acquired it by slaying a number of his best mercenaries after they refused to part with it. Owns a slim ceremonial sword. Wears may lesser rings of protection.
The Beldenstones (a noble family????) are sponsoring a wizard school and the Council will soon approve its opening. Lord Chess believes Manshoon must act before this happens when the Council meets next.
Manshoon meets often with Fzoul Master of the Black Altar.
Taersel is selling secrets to Lord Chess about Manshoon’s dealings with Arglath.
Fzoul does not know about Manshoon’s deal with Arglath the beholder.
Lord Rorst Amandon, Battlelord of Zhentil Keep, owns a scrying crystal (that can pierce spell shields) to keep watch on Manshoon etc. Has a favourite broadsword (magical????). His wife Desil died 7 years earlier. Led the armies of Zhentil Keep to rule Thar with brutal efficiency (Etreth was with him). Lord Amandon has learned the secret names of Manshoon to allow him to be bound until death, he gave them to Elminster.
Lord Hael hired a mage assassin to attack Manshoon (slain by a beholder)
Possession of a scrying crystal that can pierce spell shields is punishable by death
Etreth, servant of Battlelord Rorst Amandon, beard and moustache peppered with grey. Loyal servant of Etreth for many years
A year ago Zhentil Keep was filled with battle hardened nobles and mages. Then old Lord Lorltar named Manshoon First Lord of the Council (many thought he was under magical compulsion). Within a tenday many of the proudest nobles (who hated Manshoon) fell ill but nothing could be proved.
The High Hall of Zhentil Keep, at its heart lies a vast echoing council chamber
Agents of the High Imperceptor attacking citizens of Zhentil Keep. 7 cities of the Dragon Reach levying taxes on Zhentil Keep merchants. Cult of the Dragon brigands attack Zhentil Keep caravans.
Zhentil Keep recently signed a naval treaty with Thay to keep Zhent ships free of Thayan piracy.
In the Council of Lords any issue called upon by two separate councilmen can be voted upon. A vote against the First Lord requires the count to be performed by a high priest (presumably the First lord counts the votes otherwise).
Councillor Urathyl, a young nobleman voted against Manshoon.
Lord Phandymm, senior nobleman, opponent of the Zhentarim.
Manshoon called for a vote to grant him special powers as First Lord to recruit and train more Zhentarim.
Lord Chess voted against Manshoon and tried to order all magic from the Council Chamber. Manshoon tried to control his mind so Chess called upon his black dragon ally. 3 Beholders appeared (including Arglath) and attacked the dragon. Zhentarim mages attacked dissenting noblemen. The dragon vanished and Arglath attacked his two fellow beholders slaying them.
The second vote was called and went against Manshoon. Lord Chess was named Watchlord of the Council (he no longer had a vote but he was supreme in directing council affairs). Manshoon and Fzoul’s alliance was revealed but they took no action against the council’s appointment of Chess (Manshoon intends to ally himself with Chess as they were once close when younger).
Elminster had disguised himself as Arglath, slew Manshoon’s allies, and warned the Council of Zhentil Keep to stop fighting each other like children lest they anger the beholders.
Elminster’s deal with Lord Amandon was that he would stop Manshoon’s plan but neither Fzoul nor Manshoon would be slain by Elminster’s hand or spells. In return Amandon provided the secret names he knew (presumably of Manshoon, maybe Fzoul).

The More Things Change (starts about 1000 DR)
Elaine Cunningham

Elaith Craulnober, betrothed to Princess Amnestria. Captain of the kings guard. Always proper, always follows the rules. Amber eyes. Last in his family line, stands to inherit a moonblade from his grandsire.
Royal forest of Evermeet
Princess Amnestria, blue eyes flecked with gold, pale face, beautiful, minstrels already compared her to Hanali Celanil. Hair the colour of spun sapphires (the rarest hair colour for moon elves). Had a passion for battlecraft, splitting her time between swordplay and battle magic.
No member of the royal house of Evermeet has ever served in the kings guard.
King Zaor Moonflower has too much regard for tradition
Damia – elven term of endearment directed to sweethearts or children
The palace, a moonstone castle at the very heart of Evermeet.
Thasitalia, great aunt of Amnestria, a sellsword, debasing her moonblade and lending her skills in return for money. Thasitalia’s mercenary tales enthral Amnestria. Thasitalia made Amnestria her blade-heir (to the moonblade)
Thasitalia’s moonblade adds speed and power to any strike. Amnestria needs to master an ancient two handed elven technique else she wont be able to handle the sword.
King Zaor’s elite guard (kings guard) wear white uniform, shoulder insignia proclaims rank, finely wrought pins on the shoulder attest to experience in a number of arts and with weapons
Tumbled Wench, a ramshackle barn of a tavern directly across from Waterdeep’s southernmost docks. Frequented by sailors, dockhands, freeswords, merchant captains, local dandies, and bemused travellers from a hundred other ports. Tumbled Wench is a good place to get news from all over Waterdeep. Trenchers of seafood stew and tankards of foaming ale for a few coppers. Roast herb stuffed fowl and more expensive drink are available to order.
Evereska sparkling water
Elaith’s grandfather died and the Craulnober moonblade passed to Elaith. The moonblade gem faded to milky whiteness and chose dormancy over an unworthy heir (him)
The original crafters of moonblades endowed the swords with the ability to discern character and motivation
The Treasure Hunters, a mercenary band. Members include Borodin and his brother, Rix (red hair), Malcolm (paymaster), and Xander (the leader). All members wear black uniform with a tooled shoulder crest.
Borodin and his brother – 6 ft tall black hair, wears black armour with an elaborately tooled crest on the shoulder. They challenged Elaith Craulnober to a fight after he was rejected by the moonblade and fled to Waterdeep.
Xander, middling years, prime of strength, leader of the Treasure Hunters, slender, tall, skin the colour of polished teak, black eyes, black hair worn in a single long braid.
Erlunn, a great centre of elven civilisation in the Northlands. The elves had long since retreated and their civilisation was swallowed by the High Forest. Rumour has it that centuries ago the elves buried their dead among the roots of trees near the Unicorn Run river. Oak trees and standing stones act as guardians for the burial sites much deeper in the forest.
MANY YEARS LATER (about 1390 DR)
Azariah, golden hands, raised as a ward of the royal court on Evermeet. Daughter of Elaith Craulnober, shaken by her father’s reputation when she returned to Waterdeep.

The Meaning of Lore (unknown)
Barb Hendee

Freezing temperatures in early fall are common in Berdusk.
Colder than a Berduskan attic in winter – a common saying in the Heartlands
Chane Troiban, a loremaster of Oghma at Twilight Hall, burnished red-gold hair, narrow face, handsome features. Specialises in dead languages. Jealous, angry, lusts for power and adoration, evil. Knows little about magic
Triska, pudgy apprentice of Master Minstrelwish
Rysheos, situated along the trade routes between Cormyr and Waterdeep, a days ride north of Soubar. Newly established boomtown. Primitive architecture and inhabitants. Warring nobles and roving bands of goblins and orcs had fought each other for control of Rysheos for years. Lord Teelo of Rysheos a powerful lord managed to defeat the others and bring about a fear induced peace.
Narshanna, Harper
Chane wrote to Lord Teelo and asked for an audience (to escape the life in Twilight Hall)
High Lady Cylyria has little to do with governing Berdusk, instead relying on the mages, bards, thieves, and loremasters of Twilight Hall (Harpers) to govern it for her
The Seat of Lore, temple of Oghma in the west of Berdusk. Long ago, scores of ancient books were spirited inside those walls. Huge oak front doors. Catacombs full of ancient texts (written before 902 DR) deep beneath the temple, guarded by wraiths, protected by a magical labyrinth.
Bransuldyn Mirrortor, a former rogue and wanderer is now the temple overseer of the Seat of Lore.

Raven’s Egg (unknown)
Elaine Bergstrom

Lord Sharven of Espar, young man with much wealth. Married to Atera (he met her in Saerloon) After marrying Atera he established contacts among the thieves and assassins of Saerloon. Within a year he amassed a fortune 5 times Atera’s dowry. Acquired a duelling scar on one cheek, sword arm was slashed and broken and lost its strength in a brawl. Has a half moon ring on his finger
Gwendh, older brother of Sharven. Sent to Saerloon by his father to forge a trade alliance with the merchants there (Sharven went along)
Atera, slanted emerald eyes, honey coloured hair. Daughter of a rich merchant in Saerloon with a massive dowry.
Raven of Saerloon, aged wizard and physician to Atera., necromancer skilled in the healing arts. Oath bound to serve Atera and her family. Saved Sharven when he was sorely wounded by thugs. Wears black robes, knows evil demonic magic (Zhentarim?????)
Sharven was attacked by thugs sent by rival merchants (they scarred his face and weakened his arm). Sharven got his revenge by assassinating the thugs and poisoning the merchants
Sharven’s father died and then Gwendh died soon after and Sharven was forced to leave Saerloon to become lord. Sharven soons become suspicious and paranoid.
Lord Romul, neighbour to Espar, owns lands north of Espar. Friend of Sharven’s father. Sharven played with Romul’s children when he was younger. Lady Laudrel wife of Lord Romul. Older man now, in his youth acquired a deadly reputation with a blade.
Lord Sharven and Romul keep cattle herds. Sharven’s herd die from speargrass poisoning.
Speargrass is mildly poisonous to cattle (can be fatal if eaten enough over a prolonged period).
Bookworms devoured Sharven’s library.
A fire consumed Sharven’s stables.
Blood magic use punishable by death
Raven gave Sharven a tiny blood red egg that would hatch a demonic force inside him and consume the life force of his greatest enemy when Sharven’s blood was spilled.
The spirit unleashed attack Sharven because he was his own worst enemy
Raven wed Atera (presumably becoming lord of Espar)
Sharven’s spirit now haunts his former home forever

The Third Level (1341 DR)
Salvatore

At 9 years old Artemis Entreri travelled on a caravan from Memnon to Calimport. The merchants were going to sell Artemis into slavery (which he didn’t know about) but he fled when he arrived in Calimport.
At 14 years of age Artemis Entreri is now “in charge” (a thief claiming his territory where no one else dare steal) of a cluster of shacks across from a field of cart torn mud.
Kandad Oasis has black waters
Artemis was recruited into the Basadoni Cabal at 14.
Basadoni Cabal, one of the most powerful thieves’ guilds in Calimport
Pasha Basadoni in charge of the Basadoni Cabal
Lieutenant Theebles Royuset, assigned to mentor Artemis Entreri by Pasha Basadoni. Smelly brown frizzy hair, gluttonous, lazy. Slow but mentally sharp and dangerous. Sadistic and cruel. In the second rank of the Pasadoni Cabal command structure along with half a dozen other lieutenants. Was once a merchant, got into trouble with the authorities so used his money to buy a position in the Pasadoni Cabal
Pasadoni Guildhall has a basement 20 ft below ground. Top layer is devoted to hedonistic pleasures, home to Pasha Basadoni.
Dancer, rogue in the Pasadoni Cabal, working for Lieutenant Theebles. Friend of Artemis.
Thesali vipers, snakes whose venom kills in seconds (long enough for you to stagger two steps backward). Small orange snakes. Venom is milked by thieves for assassination purposes. The antivenom produces great hunger if the individual is poisoned.
Universal antidote, an amber liquid, very expensive, will neutralise any poison in the body.
Pasha Basadoni, smallish, old, straight posture, grey hair, neatly groomed, unpretentious clothing.
Made lieutenant in the Basadoni Cabal after killing Lieutenant Theebles by tricking him into eating crushed glass.

Blood Sport (892 DR)
Christie Golden

Mistledale, 3 months after the vampires attacked.
Shark, woman, black eyes, tanned face. Hired to hunter Jander Sunstar the vampire. Fought and killed 22 vampires (and countless humans) always kills her target. Able to cast spells (can forcefully read minds). Owns a cloak of invisibility she made herself, also disguises the aura of body heat she emits. Uses Shakira Khazaar as her name (is it an alias????). One slew a vampire in Suzail, knows from this experience that she should never interrupt a feeding vampire. Often uses a small specially crafted crossbow to kill vampires. Once fought a vampire who was a mage, when trapped he volunteered to step into the sunlight but cast darkness about himself (that vampire bit her neck but she survived). Formerly Shakira the thief, killed in self defence then got a taste for it and became an assassin, got bored of killing humans and became a vampire hunter.
Rhynn Oriandis, female moon elf, indigo hair. Former captain of the Riders of Mistledale – imprisoned for letting Jander Sunstar go free.
The Orc’s Head Inn, a noisy tavern. In Waterdeep (or near it)
Shallen Lathkule, a handsome youth, getting married tomorrow afternoon to Khyrra. Crafts pretty baubles for a living
Jander Sunstar, meets with Shallen at the Orc’s Head Inn (makes statues and sells them at various taverns in Waterdeep). Often sings at the Orc’s Head Inn. Crafted a statue (8 inches tall) of Lliira as a gift for Shallen and Khyrra, if a gem is added into the hand of the statue, then it does something magical. Owns a small stone cottage in a row of houses near the outskirts of Waterdeep.
Maia, barmaid at the Orc’s Head Inn, golden locks of hair. Often sleeps with patrons. Jander found Maia in the City of the Dead 6 months ago (rescued her from her live as a cheap whore). Lives in an apartment above a tailor shop. Jander is teaching her to read, he appreciates her true beauty. Nobody else knows she was a whore.
Kurnin owns the Orc’s Head Inn.
Jander’s cottage has a carefully preserved suit of mail, a sword, and a shield (prized possessions from his life????)
Large monument in the City of the Dead of warriors battling inhuman monsters (orcs, trolls, etc). Finished being built only a few years previous.
The Shark died falling from the top of the monument, she would not let Jander save her.

Gallows Day (unknown)
David Cook

Gurin’s alehouse, tavern, for serious drinking. Dirt floor, rickety furniture. Somewhere in Elturel
Lord Brion’s kennel guard dogs were poisoned by a thief who broke in.
Sprite-Heels, halfling, thief, burgled Lord Brion’s estate
Corrick, old, bald, pock-marked, ancient. Thief. Killed a rival in a knife fight on a rooftop.
“Brown” Maeve, brown hair, once striking face, magic user (uses magic to steal). Spell-torched a jewellers shop to cover her escape.
Therin, thief, to be hung tomorrow morning. Broad shoulders, gangly arms, former farmhand. Lover of Maeve. Pinch’s second in command. Captured by the Hellriders of Elturel while he was robbing old Firdul’s house with Maeve.
Old Firdul’s house on Stillcreek Lane
Robbery on Crossmarket Lane last night
Maeve lived on
Emercas, lover of Maeve
Xarcas, barbarian, lover of Maeve. Drank himself to death a Gurin’s alehouse
Pinch, dark eyes, black hair with a streak of grey, plain looking. Commands Sprite-Heels, Maeve, Corrick, Therin. Master thief. Has a stiff leg after a bad tumble from a roof breaking job. Was once imprisoned in the High Prison (paid Dowzabell for a better room on the Master’s Side of the High Prison).
Mumblety peg
Troop Commander Wilmarq, officer in the Hellriders of Elturel. Has a habit of extorting money from known thieves to keep them out of jail, but still arrests them if there is a chance for promotion. Greedy.
Shiarra’s Market in Elturel. People hung on the Triple Tree (a leafless tree called the Gallows) Shiarra’s Market
Old catacombs run under Shiarra’s Market.
Dragoneye Lane, cobbled, joins Shiarra’s Market
Pinch, Corrick, Maeve, and Sprite-Heels are going to try and rescue Therin from his execution.
The High Prison, a 3 story stone edifice built by Lord Dhelt to imprison criminals. Before the High Prison was built criminals were housed in the cellars of the High Hall and noble palaces. Split into sections: the Masters Side which included a bath and servants, the Knights Side which included a bath but no servants, the Common Side
Dowzabell, turnkey of the High Prison, was once a prisoner 15 years ago (for bad debts) but now takes bribes from prisoners to keep them out of the worst cells.
Coins of Elturel – silver flag, gold noble
Shildris, wizard in Elturel
Hellriders of Elturel, wear red and silver armour
Pinch and the gang rescued Therin and Corrick was slain for betraying Pinch to the Hellriders.
Pinch and the gang move to Scornubel afterwards.
Pinch paid Troop Commander Wilmarq 1000 gold nobles to slay Corrick and free Therin.

A Matter of Thorns (unknown)
James M Ward

Castle Stone (really a keep) overlooking a spur of the Immerflow. Not worth garrisoning so left abandoned. 60 people cluster in a village around the outside of Castle Stone, proud that it has never been sacked (it has never been attacked).
200 years ago, roses were planted in Castle Stone’s garden, now they are beautiful roses as red as blood and thorned as morning stars. After several decades the Lord of Castle Stone took the blood red rose as their emblem and so has every Lord Stone since.
New Lord Stone is a foolish youth with delusions of grandeur, reorganised his army conscripting all adults in the village outside, replaced his father’s advisors with younger men.
Lord Stone decided to sack the gardener who had been there for 50 years (served Lord Stone’s father and grandfather).
Grim the gardener refused to be retired. His father got him the job as gardener. Had a talent for magic but loved the castle’s roses so did not pursue the Gift. His own garden of roses doesn’t bloom have as well as the castle roses.
Lord Stone killed Grim because he would not retire, with his dying breath Grim cursed Lord Stone.
The roses turned into carnivorous vines that drain blood (and intellect, leaving victims alive as mind slaves), it doesn’t like sunlight and retreats into the shadows.
Foley Cornbottom appointed (forcefully) the new gardener.
By tradition Castle Stone allows all travellers to shelter within at highsun
Sir Ganithar “the Hammer Knight”, friend of the old Lord Stone (bounced the new Lord Stone on his knee as a baby). Member of the High Moor Heroes’ Guild. Just returned from 3 years of adventuring in the Fallen Kingdom. It is said his enchanted warhammer (can call thunderbolts to strike the ground) was made by the gods, also said Sir Ganithar could walk unseen into any fortified place and take what he wanted. Sir Ganithar has many friends in the surrounding area. Owns a cloak of silence, boots of leaping, and belt of invisibility.
Old Lord Stone died 5 years ago suddenly from heart stop.
Tomkin Woodsmanson, squire to Sir Ganithar. 15 years old. Originally from the lands around Castle Stone. Saved Sir Ganithar from a wyvern (presumably around Castle Stone) and asked to be his squire. Struggles to lift Ganithar’s warhammer.
Lands around Castle Stone grow excellent watermelons.
The rose bush enslaved Lord Stone, Foley Cornbottom, Sir Ganithar, and twenty other residents and attendants of Castle Stone
Tomkin slew the rose bush (chopped its head off), but the rose minions were still enslaved (did it survive in the minions or deep in the ground)

Stolen Spells (unknown)
Denise Vitola

Kendil, a hamlet in the foothills of the Sunset Mountains east of Asbravn. Well kept white-washed buildings with flower boxes. Inn on the main cobbled street. Tiny shrine to Sune at the end of the main street.
Country Spell Crafts and Implements for Daily Living, owned by Bareen Tykar, in Kendil. Employs several agents to find rare things, knows the location of Urlok. Two associates (hired swords) are moon elves (armed with scimitars)
Arek Adar, thief, operates around Triel. Contact of Latine Firewalker. Specialises in locating hard to find objects of antiquity (steals from rich people). Practised his craft in all the cities along the River Chionthar and in Cormyr. Stole a light catcher (an enchanted tube that catches light and projects shadows) from a minor lord in Scornubel. As a child lived near the Sunset Mountains. Has a lair in the Sunset Mountains overlooking Oak Island. Has a warehouse full of goods to sell
Latine Firewalker, elf (antiquities dealer perhaps????)
Urlok, village in the southern range of the Sunset Mountains, hard to find. People there brew the Spring Tonic. People here are known for health and vitality. Has an inn
Spring Tonic, a brew so powerful it revitalises a man and takes him back to his spring of youth. Made from the waters of a hidden pool and a secret spell. The spell doesn’t do much, the Spring Tonic must be drawn from the waters of Shimmer Hollow during the night of a blue moon (happens only once a year when the moon goes full twice in a month). Bottles have to be left to age for 50 years, then it has to be drunk during the night of a blue moon, otherwise it has no effect.
Jig Elbari, dwarf from Urlok, blends the Spring Tonic, will not sell its secrets. Secretive old man, used to be a healer to one of the old dwarf mines, knowledgeable in the ancient ways. Sells Spring Tonic for 30,000 tricrowns a bottle.
Sunset Mountains. Many abandoned dwarf mines in the southern Sunset Mountains. Goblins in the mountains robbing and eating people. Many isolated shacks where hermits and mages live.
Shimmer Hollow, where Jig Elbari lives. Located in a deep ravine filled with trees near Urlok. Shimmer Hollow is Jig’s shack at the end of the ravine with a pool behind it.
Rootwart balm enhanced with a brightening spell cures blindness (use 3 times daily)
Arek Adar retrieves the Spring Tonic and returns to Bareen Tykar who betrays the deal and breaks Arek’s wrist.
Arek hid the Spring Tonic and vows revenge
Oak Island, in the Sunset Mountains, where shacks and huts on a spit of land breaching into a high, wide lake. Childhood home of Arek Adar, now abandoned, but Arek returns here often. Arek’s lair is in a cave in a cleft behind a waterfall on a ridge overlooking Oak Island.
Arek stole a banquet board cut from northern wood and fashioned in 1334 DR. Enchanted so that 3 words cause the board to fill with the finest, tastiest foods (was it made for Azoun’s coronation, is this why Arek was in Cormyr????)
Cinnabar leaves grown in the long dead city of Shoon used by their magicians to conjure good luck
Arek owns a hand sewn shawl, spun through with gold and platinum, strung with tiny bronze beads and shaped like and arrowhead. The shawl is enchanted to trap a person’s life force in the weaving. It belonged to a mountain man (in the Sunset Mountains????), possibly a dwarf who used it to trap his enemies. Arek freed the victims who sought revenge on their former captor (did it trap only their life force or their entire body, were only spirits released or the whole person????). Arek intends to use it on Bareen in revenge. The shawl was possibly made before the Orcgate Wars (-1076 DR)

The Greatest Hero Who Ever Died (unknown)
J Robert King

Lofty Capel Curig (settlement????) cooled by winds from the Great Ice Sea (where is it????), located in the Snowdonia Mountains
Annatha, fishwife in Capel Curig
Fineas, itinerant priest of Torm
The Howling Reed, inn in Capel Curig. Fat Horace the bartender.
Sossal, once guarded by Sir Paramore a noble knight, the greatest hero.
Sir Paramore, from Sossal, golden hair, eyes like platinum. Has a spell slaying sword called Kneuma
King Caen of Sossal, early white locks
Dorsoom, wizard advisor of King Caen
People kidnapping the children of Sossal nobility. Sir Paramore slew the kidnappers (chopped their heads off) and returned the children to Court (all except a boy called Jeremy who was slain).
As a reward, Sir Paramore claimed the hand of Princess Daedra as promised by the king.
Princess Daedra, bone white skin, red lips. Betrothed to Lord Ferris.
Lord Ferris, a young nobleman, ebony eyes, black hair. In league with Dorsoom
Jeremy’s ghost (just a floating head dripping blood, sounds like a large man pretending to be a child) followed Sir Paramore back to the palace and watched over his room
Petra, noble child, friend of Jeremy.
Bannin (brown haired boy) and Liesle and Ranwen (twin girls) and Parri and Mab (red hair, pig tails) and Karn, noble children and friends of Jeremy.
Jeremy gathered the children and told them about Lord Ferris going to slay Sir Paramore, told them to gather their father’s knives and stop him.
Ferris’ long, leggy body stretched weblike across the passageway. All the children died except Bannin, slain by Lord Ferris.
Dorsoom claimed that Paramore arranged the kidnapping of the children, slew the kidnappers, dressed up as one and killed Jeremy, and then returned dressed as himself to rescue them. He hol-lowed out Jeremy’s head and used it to fool Petra into gathering the other children to slay Lord Ferris (who he left a note with asking him to meet in his room). Sir Paramore cut off Dorsoom’s head and fled.
Sir Paramore was exiled and travelled to Capel Curig, his tale bewitched the inhabitants, and they were ready to be his army. Fat Horace cut his head off with an axe.

Twilight (unknown)
Troy Denning

Othea, the Mother Queen on the shores of the Cold Ocean, size and shape of a mountain, hillocks for hips, craggy buttresses for a bosom.
Ulutiu the Ocean King, sinuous body, sliding and slipping like a serpent. Whiskers, ears, flipper like hands, fluke light feet.
Annam the All Father raised himself from the canyon where he lay. When he saw Othea and Ulutiu together he sent a storm of sleet against the grey waters of the Cold Ocean. His steps caused the creatures of the air, land, and sea to flee. Carries the axe Sky Cleaver
Othea and Ulutiu sired firbolg, verbeeg, fomorian
Annam denies siring ettin
Toril is much emptier in the early days.
Ogres overrun Ostoria, plaguing the empire.
Annam slew Ulutiu and hurled his body into the heart of the Cold Ocean.
Othea proclaimed no more giant kin and no more true giants
Annam split a mountain with Sky Cleaver (he dropped it), creating Split Mountain.
Annam wanted another giant son, the best of the giants. The titan was keen and strong but proud and vain and could not be king of the empire.
Othea turned black as obsidian and a rift cracked across the land
Othea bargains with Annam, if he leaves, she will bear his child and let him loose when he is strong enough. If Annam returns then Othea will loose the child and let the ogres devour him. Annam says he will return when his son calls his name.
When Ulutiu died Othea called forth a hundred day night. Before his death Ulutiu plucked 5 ice crystals from the sea the colour of a sapphire, ruby, amber, emerald, and diamond, and hung them on his collar like a chain. Then Ulutiu’s death raft became an icy tomb (a glacier). A great icy whirlwind caused the icy tomb to spread and grow, freezing the sea and all the lands around it as the whirlwind lasted for centuries.
Othea drank from the Well of Health.

Thousands of years later
Lanaxis the titan, created an orb of blue ice a perfect sphere polished as smooth as glass.
Nicias, dynast of the cloud giants
Masud, khan of the fire giants
Vilmos, paramount of storm giants
Ottar, jarl of frost giants
Dunmore, thane of wood giants
Arno and Julian the ettin, they do not own a kingdom of Ostoria
Lanaxis, Nicias, Masud, Vilmos, Ottar, Dunmore, Arno and Julian all considered the Sons of Annam.
Ostoria had grown large and powerful, almost extending southward to where the kingdoms of dwarves and humans were rising
Bleak Palace, Lanaxis’ home, with a view of the Great Glacier as it marches towards Ostoria
Lanaxis has found Ulutiu’s grave and says they can destroy his crystal necklace and end the Great Glacier
Othea forbid the giants from setting foot on the Great Glacier.
The blue ice sphere is some kind of scrying crystal and shows the giant sons of annam the location of Ulutiu’s grave.
Ulutiu’s corpse lies in the centre of a giant ice mountain in the centre of the Great Glacier.
The Eternal Blizzard
The Well of Health, located at Bleak Palace. The Sons of Annam customarily drink from the Well of Health before they leave Bleak Palace, it clears mind and body of illness (does it extend life as well?????).
Of all the Sons of Annam, only Dunmore refused to travel to Ulutiu’s corpse and destroy his necklace. Dunmore smashed the blue ice sphere and fled. Lanaxis picked up a shard (its magic still worked somewhat).
Lanaxis poisoned the Well of Health and all the Sons of Annam (except Dunmore, Lanaxis, Arno and Julian) and Othea drank from it.
Othea and the Sons of Annam all perished except for Lanaxis, Dumore, Julian and Arno. Othea cursed Lanaxis so that he must remain in her shadow and be sick and weakened forever. If he left he would become mortal and would age and die. Arno and Julian were cursed to share the same fate as Lanaxis.
The ground cracked and Bleak Palace collapsed

The Walls of Midnight (1350s DR)
Mark Anthony

And with a single spell, Ckai-el-Ckaan forged a tower of shadow from the cold bones of the mountain. He named it Gurthang, which in the old tongue is "midnight," and within its onyx walls he hid away his greatest relic of power, the Finger of Ckai-el-Ckaan. It is written in prophecy that he who tries to climb the walls of Gurthang and fails will lose his life, but that he who tries and succeeds will lose his soul....
From Talfirian Eddas, circa 342 DR

A tenday ago Ravendas arrived at Darkhold and demanded to become a member of the Zhentarim. Sememmon gave her a task, to climb the tower of Gurthang and retrieve the Finger of Ckai-el-Ckaan.
Gurthang Tower deep in the Sunset Mountains. Circular curtain wall 100 ft high, central tower of obsidian. The walls are protected, dragon shapes emerge out of the stone and incinerate any climbers or those flying too close
Ravendas left her home at 17 and journeyed to Baldur’s Gate to join the Flaming Fist. Within 5 years she had risen high.
The Talfirian Eddas, tell many legends of the Sunset Mountains and the people that once lived here, the Talfir.
Gurthang means midnight in Talfiric language
Kaidel the Ancient, Sindara of the Golden Eyes, and Loredoc who slew the great wyrm of Orsil. One by one they came, and one by one they perished. For thus speaks the prophecy of Ckai-el-Ckaan, that no one hero will ever be great enough to scale the walls of Gurthang.'
No one has ever climbed the walls of Gurthang, not in a thousand years (was it raised 1000 years ago???)
Marnok, a mage from Illefarn also sought to join the Zhentarim and sent to climb Gurthang. He joined Ravendas
Ravendas, her real name is Kela. Her father was a mercenary between the Sword Coast and the Caravan Cities. He got married and had children and gave up his sword. Brigands rode to their farm and killed her dad while Kela and Kera watched. When she left her home she took the name Ravendas.

'Know that should the Finger of Ckai-el-Ckaan ever be lifted from its resting place, Gurthang shall fall, destroying all within. There is but a single path for one who would live: he must face the sunset, and give himself to darkness.'

The tower passage winds round into a symbol of power, attracting and entrapping magic.
The Finger of Ckai-el-Ckaan is actually a finger bone. He left an image of himself to watch over it, a man in crimson robes with a gold skullcap on his head, yellow eyes, and an angular face. Ckai-el-Ckaan was obsessed with immortality, left his fingerbone so that he could be raised from the dead.
The Finger of Ckai-el-Ckaan was trapped, the person who tried to take it would be trapped forever. Ravendas pushed Marnok into the trap and then took the Finger to the Zhentarim.
A pool or river lay directly beneath the tower (its main stairwell directly over the water). The tower collapsed when the finger was taken and access to the water was possible.

And Wringing of Hands (unknown)
Jane Cooper Hong

Renek, assassin, uses poisoned darts (non magical), lives on the Sembian plains. Renek’s last mark was Han, a top ranking member of the thieves guild (in Sembia????). Renek’s typical targets are thugs and murderers.
Sweet brandyroot plant
Ashana, tall, dark auburn hair. Lives in a town near to Tine’s village. Her father was a successful merchant dealing in rare monster reagents (griffon scales, dragon eggs). Her father is a widower, has a son (Menge). Her father is dying of some incurable growth (cancer????)
Tine, “apothecary”. Tall, awkward, gaunt, pallid skin. Keeps various components in a shed where he works. Lives in a village. Creates darts for Renek. Skilled in mixing poisons. Serves Renek in various ways. Observed Han for him, noticing every 6th day Han visited a shrine of Tymora and cast the crescent moons of fate (did this take place in the same neighbouring town where Ashana lived????). Has been working for Renek for 2 years.
Bokun, cleric in the same village as Tine.
Hsin-feng ku gen, a very rare herb used in healing. Used by the people of Wa. Its name means “bitter root of the fresh wind”. Looks like a wrinkled root. Can also be made into a poison.
Tine created an odourless poison (inhalation and contact) that Renek used to cover the Crescent Moons (small wooden crescent shapes that are thrown in a bowl to provide a prediction of fate) in the shrine of Tymora. The poison causes dark blisters on the lips and hands, then heaving of blackened spittle and blood, then death.
If the Crescent Moons of Tymora land with their points at odds that is a bad omen.
A rival thief in the same guild paid Renek to eliminate Han the thief and make it look like plague so that he could take Han’s position.
Han, top ranking member of the thieves guild. Earned his position from the sheer volume of his plunder. Left a trail of gore and mutilated victims. Gnomes in Arch Wood tried to punish him for the killing of one of their princesses and the robbery of the entire royal treasury but he escaped. Han most recently threatened the entire town council of Gendelarm, rumour was he dragged a councillors son behind a wagon until he was maimed and perished, the son’s last words repeated Han’s threat to the council.
Menge, Ashana’s brother, squandered family wealth, well known in local taverns and brothels.
Sil, a mage’s apprentice in Scardale. Young, 15, tall, chatterbox, show off, intelligent, naive, self righteous, has an unusual capability to command animals, has a possum familiar called Pocket (Pocket can reflect magic back at the caster). Sil is to be Renek’s next target. Sil saw a senior apprentice miscast a spell and threatened to tell the sorcerer’s council, for that the senior apprentice has paid for Sil to be killed. Sil’s father was an impressive wizard, but Sil never really met him, he might be dead, he wanted to provide magic to husbandmen to help them grow bigger healthier plants. Sil is experimenting with weather control magics to help grow plants. Sil lives alone in his parent’s estate, a large auspicious dwelling of a dozen rooms on the edge of Scardale, the home has a library, spell component storage chamber, and indoor greenhouse.
Sorcerer’s Council in Sembia (a guild????)
Cerulean gem, used for ice magic.
Renek kills Sil with poison.
Renek’s next target is Ashana. Ashana’s brother Menge is paying for the assassination so he can inherit everything. Menge staged a robbery to steal his dead mother’s jewellery and sold the jewels to pay for the assassination.
Tine is indentured to Renek for a long term of service (why????)
Ashana’s mother had a very expensive set of jewellery (it was her dowry, she might have been royalty or court nobility), the kind that isnt traded anymore with dowry’s. A necklace of dragon scales shimmering in blue and purple, a gold arm bracelet with emeralds glittering from the bevels made by a master dwarven crafter.
Ancient hymn of Myrkul sung on people’s deathbed. The words go “Carry, carry. O’ Dark Soldier. Carry, carry, o’er and away.” (the song might be called O’ Dark Soldier)

Thieves’ Honour (1367 DR)
Mary H. Herbert

Teza. Thick brown hair. Has a passion for horses, steals and sells horses for a living. Lives in Immilmar. Had to use her dagger many times, mostly against overreaching men. Tezas word has honour, even among thieves.
By the Cloak of Mask – an exclamation of surprise at a new revelation or sight.
Fangs of Rashemen, a warband unit, use mountain ponies as mounts.
Aughisky, known as a water horse. Look like a horse in magnificent condition. Rare and wily, seldom seen by humans. Known by reputation. Predators that feed on unwary or greedy humans that try to mount them. The riders are held to the aughisky by magic and the aughisky then runs into the water and the rider is drowned and completely devoured, only the liver washes up on the shore. Aughisky cannot speak. Aughisky can be tamed using hippomane (brownish lump of flesh sometimes attached to the head of a newborn foal), you have to swallow the hippomane in the presence of the aughisky.
Aughisky’s known to live in Lake Ashane, some wander around the Ashanwood near Immilmar.
Lake Ashane, the Lake of Tears. The eastern shore, where high bluffs plunge into the dark waters.
Witches of Rashemen wear impassive grey masks.
Teza stole one of the Huhrong’s prized white stallions, dyed it brown, and sold it in the horse market in Immilmar. The Huhrong found out and Teza left Immilmar. There is now a reward for her capture.
Grand Prince Laric of Telflamm, lover of one of the younger witches of Rashemen.
Witch of Rashemen sends an aughisky to ensnare Teza so that the witch can demand she steal Grand Prince Laric. The witch has ensnared a boggan to pose as Laric while he is stolen.
Witches of Rashemen sometimes select men from outside Rashemen for procreation.
The real Grand Prince Laric and his entourage had been encamped south of Immilmar for two tendays while the Grand Prince attended meetings with the Huhrong and his advisors (no one knows what the talks are about). Honour guard of Fangs of Rashemen stationed around the camp.
Teza had a few contacts among the guards of Grand Prince Laric’s encampment.
Boggans are a goblinoid race that inhabits the underdark. Can shapeshift at will.
Sjorl cheese from Rashemen.
Kidnap and murder are punishable by several revolting kinds of death in Rashemen.
The witch slew Prince Laric (after being impregnated). Prince Laric and his father had squandered the power and wealth of Telflamm, letting it slip away to merchant councils and guilds. The witch wants a strong leader to unite Telflamm and extend its influence along the Golden Way and Inner Sea, and promote the interests of Rashemen. The boggan is under the witch’s complete control and will do as commanded.
Teza left and stole the witch’s aughisky.

Laughter in the Flames (unknown)
James Lowder

Society of Stalwart Adventurers in Suzail. The library holds a thousand years of the history of the Stalwart Adventurers. Library is filled with books and tomes, winged monkeys fetch books for people, ever burning Halruan candles light the room. Shields and swords from a dozen battlefields. Plaques bear the mark of Cormyrean monarchs and foreign rulers. A stuffed yeti surrounded by horns of minotaurs, perytons, and gorgons. Greatest prize is the head of an ancient red dragon over the library’s entrance.
Sir Hamnet Hawklin, old, had authored many journals in the library of Stalwart Adventurers (covering two entire shelves). Former cartographer and explorer had detailed many parts of the world. Jealous of younger upstarts eclipsing his exploits (like Artus Cimber).
Captain Gareth Truesilver, distinguished young soldier. Sir Hamnet Hawklin is his mentor. Fought in the Battle of the Golden Way.
Sir Hamnet Hawklins 23rd expedition was to the Hill of Lost Souls, Hamnet wrote down in his journal that a dire weasel ate their provisions and caused a racket alerting the nearby goblin tribe. Only Sir Hamnet escaped alive. In reality Hamnet ran when the first goblin appeared and didn’t help his fellows.
Sir Hamnet Hawklin has explored Anauroch.
Tethyrian port (the drink)
Sir Hamnet Hawklin owns a rapier.
When a fire hisses its supposed to be an echo of Lliira’s laughter. Lliira takes great joy in a fool being exposed.
Each time a fire cracks, it is the sound of a man’s spirit breaking, and Cyric is pleased as he drags another soul down to his Bone Castle in Hades.
Sir Hamnet Hawklin wrote an essay on the known magical gates to the Realm of the Dead.
Upon ascending to godhood Cyric promised that anyone braving the trek to Hades would be granted an audience and returned safely back to the daylight world when the audience was over. It was a trick and Cyric posted hundreds of guards at gateways to his realm, and none have been able to bypass them.
Premeditated murder is punished by beheading – king’s punishment.
The Hall of Worthies, home to statues of the bravest Stalwart Adventurers.
The Shattered Mirror, tavern in Suzail. Drunken brawls and footpads are common. Located in or at the end of an alley.
Sir Hamnet Hawklin has run from every danger he has ever faced.
Captain Gareth Truesilver was poisoned by an urchin near the Shattered Mirror. His dying body was taken by resurrection men to a wizard to be dissected. His right leg was removed below the knee. His skin had been flayed away in patches. His left hand had been cut open and the muscles and sinews removed then the hand sewn up. Part of his tongue was removed. Uther and the watch rescued Captain Gareth Truesilver from the mad wizard.
Uther and Captain Truesilver returned to the Stalwart Adventurers club to name Sir Hamnet Hawklin a liar and coward for abandoning Gareth to his fate.

Vision (unknown)
Roger E Moore

Skralang, shaman, old goblin. His robes stink of corruption, his skin pulled taught over his bones, open sores disfigure his arms and neck. Referred to as “Your Darkness”. Has a half human grandson which all goblins treat as though it is tainted. 45 years old (46 in midwinter)
Nightbelow, goblin home beneath the Dustwalls, north of Durpar
Goblins had been fighting with humans that intruded onto surface lands claimed by the goblins.
Captain Kergis, warrior, goblin, 20 years old. Been fighting humans for 12 years, was captured and spent 1 year enslaved by the humans.
Zeth, half human grandson of Skralang, born to Skralang’s daughter who was attacked and mutilated by a human, white skin and dry, blind (empty eye sockets, Skralang dug out his eyes as a baby), cannot use weapons or armour. Skralang had a vision from the gods not to kill his daughter or Zeth. Skralang walled up his daughter and Zeth in their chamber for years, feeding them through a hole.
Now Skralang has had a vision to release Zeth.
Painkiller can be made from the blossoms of the corpse lily. If too much is consumed it brings coma and death.
The goblins of Nightbelow had once raided Durpar regularly
Zeth, Kurgis, and bands of goblins march south to raid Durpar, they attack a halfling village and slaughter and mutilate all the inhabitants.
Goblin origin myth "In the beginning of all things," said Zeth, his voice growing stronger, "there was war between the gods and the rebellious earth, and the world was struck down and slain. Darkness covered its face; winds and sea lashed its corpse. Nothing grew on its naked rock or stirred beneath the cold moon. As the world lay dead, maggots were born from the blood shed by the gods in the battle, and the maggots burrowed into the flesh of the world and feasted upon it, celebrating the victory of the gods.
"Then came forces of light, and there arose a sun over the land. The light burned the eyes of the maggots and made them cry out. The old gods heard them and were moved to rage. One of the old gods put forth his hand and said, 'A debt is owed our children as well as to us, and now our chil-dren shall claim it.' He changed the maggots into goblins, and he gave them a commandment, that the goblins would always remember the days of darkness when the old gods were victors, when nothing grew on the world, when there was night eternal and deep. And the goblins would remem-ber always to claim the debt owed them and their gods by the forces of light."
Goblins refer to humans and humanity as “The Taint”

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2021 :  09:17:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of nice little stories in Realms of Infamy with some interesting details.

Definitely cant take them all as gospel (the greatest hero that ever died), and some of them are far too focused on their own little sandbox (RAS' contributions), but others have interesting bits.

Lot of noble names and sons in So High a Price and plenty of plots for Zhentil Keep.
A Sorcerer's Council in Sembia, i figure its just a guild that the government contracts out to keep tabs on wizards and enforce some kind of standards. Which makes me think that perhaps the early novels set in Cormyr and Moonsea and the Dalelands that seem to mention a ubiquitous and monolithic thieves guild might just be referring to a very powerful Sembian operation that has spread to neighbouring regions (supported by the powerful merchant council)
Lots of new places and people in the western heartlands and some exploration of historical mentions of bandit lords and goblinoids that ruled parts of the city states in the last few centuries.
And the Grand Prince of Telflamm gets replaced by a boggun who is bound to the will of a witch of Rashemen (but who could easily be one of the evil durthan).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2021 :  09:25:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster Making of a Mage next. Really been looking forward to this one.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2021 :  16:14:35  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Stolen Spells, it would have to have taken place before the Far Hills Iron Rush that started in 1368/69 because that little town would be over run by miners/mining activity after that. I would also submit that it would have to take place before Bron takes over Iriaebor since it was during that time that the Shield quadrupled in size and were therefore able to more effectively patrol the area (I placed this, based on what was said in FRA, in the mid 1350s).

Since it calls out goblin activity, it COULD be post-1352 since the number of goblins in the southern Sunset Mountains may have had a sudden population increase from the goblins fleeing Cormyr after the defeat of Gondegal's army. Those same goblins could have been called up by the Darkhold to be in Ravendas' army that was defeated at Hluthvar in 1356.

Edit: Oh, and Walls of Midnight would have had to have happened prior to 1354. Ravendas gave birth to Kellen at the end of 1354 which means she had to have been around Caldorian around the beginning of the year. The story doesn't say anything about her being pregnant nor does it mention anything about having someone else watch her newborn and since she gets to lead a Darkhold army by 1356, she would have to have had the Tower adventure prior to the beginning of 1354. I don't remember snow being mentioned so it would most likely have been the spring/summer of 1353.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 17 Nov 2021 17:17:20
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2021 :  17:03:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a solid theory to me. Between 1355 ish and 1368.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page