Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Novel Lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
733 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2021 :  14:19:16  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

It also gives a timeline of sorts for verraketh. He's a bard, he finds the lump of metal, quenched it in a pool and makes a medallion. Then he becomes a famous musician, a noble lord, and finally a ruler and powerful magic user.

Even stranger, Serafi, the netherese spirit of darkhold seemed to know how to cure the shadowking transformation so it implies he was around during these events or he had a copy of the book of the shadows (where the incarnation to stop the transformation is held).

So it is saying that Verraketh made the Shadowstar and not Gond and Azuth?

Does it say why Serafi was at the Darkhold when he died? Or when?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2021 :  14:46:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The wording is that Verraketh watched a falling star, he went to the crash site and found the lump of metal, quenched in a pool and fastened it to a silver chain making it into a medallion.

Its unclear whether he fashioned it himself or merely cooled it and stuck it on a chain but to me the quenching is part of the forging process so he made the shadowstar himself out of whatever the meteorite was.

As for Serafi, he was a netherese prince that tried to seize the throne of the Empire of Netheril and was sentenced to death for it.
Doesnt make sense given what we now know about Netheril. The Empire never had a throne to seize until the triumvirate during the shadowed age.
I think it more likely that serafi was a fleeing arcanist after Netherils fall and was part of a short lived successor state that he tried to overthrow.

If serafi was around after the fall of ebenfar then that might explain how he knew about the book of shadows and what was contained in. The fact that the book contains a spell to halt the transformation says to me that it was written after Ebenfar when people had to deal with verrakeths descendants occasionally turning into shadowkings. Verraketh would never allow such a book to exist during his lifetime.

So I'm thinking serafi was around after the fall of netheril and maybe died after the fall of Ebenfar.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
733 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2021 :  15:55:46  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, maybe he was a member of House Orogoth? The survivors fled and hid. He may have been hiding in the High Moor and saw the whole Shadowking thing from beginning to end. Then, things got too crowded where he was and moved to the Darkhold where he finally died? Maybe it was the Shadowking's "area of death" that disrupted his life prolonging magic and that is why he finally died? He couldn't reproduce the original magic because things had changed enough after Karsus' Fall to where that spell just wouldn't work any more.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2021 :  17:23:42  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well he was educated because he plotted against the ruler, if I recall eric and george have done some work on darkhold that involved the lich mentioned as being slain by manshoon being an early ruler of darkhold that was trapped there. I'd guess serafi tried to kill her and was executed.

His continuation as a ghost could indeed be down to lingering legacies of Ebenfar, he may have even possessed the book of shadows or a copy, and tried to use it in his bid for power.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2021 :  17:34:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fact, Serafi's first introduction is as a "dark spirit" which could be interpreted as him literally being dark as in shadowy as in a shadow, corrupted by the magic of the shadowking (even if he was long dead).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1822 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2021 :  18:15:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think it more likely that serafi was a fleeing arcanist after Netherils fall and was part of a short lived successor state that he tried to overthrow.

Serafi is described as a knight. Could be eldritch knight, I suppose.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2021 :  18:22:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very true, completely forgot about the armour, although any wizard should be able to wear armour if they want to, it just makes spellcasting more difficult (not impossible). The rules are wrong.

But yeah some form of armoured spellcaster makes the most sense as a warrior is unlikely to be able to overpower the ruler of netheril (or one of its successor states). And he knew about the spell in the book of shadows to stop the shadowking transformation which implies he knows about magic

I did note just now the Talfirian Watchers, statues in the reaching woods that guarded the roads of a talfir city.

It made me think about the Grey Watcher. I wonder if the watchers somehow repel the shadevar and other servants of the shadowking, and the sorcerers of darkhold used similar magic in their Grey Watchers to keep the forces of Ebenfar out of their valley (explaining how they could exist at the same time as Ebenfar). Alternatively the talfir could have taken that magic from darkhold after Ebenfar fell (as I doubt the talfir had that magic during Ebenfars existence otherwise the empire wouldn't have been such a problem).

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 10 Mar 2021 18:38:12
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2021 :  15:43:42  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Curse of the Shadowmage is all over the place, geographical and continuity wise.

So the talfir create a city to await a child with shadowmagic. Unclear if this is before or after the horrors of the shadowking, i presume afterwards and it is just a sensible person realising that the shadowking's descendants might also have his gift.

Ebenfar is located in the centre of the High Moor. Now i'll assume it is not actually in the centre, but just somewhere in the High Moor, and it was probably just the place where Verraketh slept / lived rather than being the entirety of his empire because he claimed land as far away as Iriaebor.

Which brings me to the question, why was the Shadowking in Iriaebor forging the Nightstone, its a very long way away from Ebenfar. What was in Iriaebor that meant he had to forge the Nightstone there, why not do it in the High Moor.

So many questions, i hope they are all answered

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2021 :  16:36:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The story gets weirder and weirder, the High Moor was once filled with a music, when the Shadowstar fell into the High Moor it was imbued with the music and that music was used by talek talembar to bind the nightstone as it has power over the shadowstar and the shadowking.

Now the idea of music filling the High Moor is odd, i wonder if the Shadowstar didnt hit one of the song paths of the elves or something like that.

The magic of the song path gets absorbed into the shadowstar and is then passed onto the shadowking and his descendants like a genetic magical ability. Much like the songs can be used to activate and deactivate portals so can the music be used to control the shadowstar and the shadowking and the nightstone and shadows themselves.

Its an interesting concept.

Lots and lots of minor issues with the Curse of the Shadowmage story though

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
733 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2021 :  17:01:00  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are so many inconsistencies as to drive one mad. Here is another example from Curse of the Shadowmage pg69:

"The years turned into centuries, and the magic of the Shadowstar began to transform Verraketh until he was a man and a mage no longer, but a thing of pure and evil magic, which folk in fear named the Shadowking." Morhion regarded his two listeners solemnly. "I think you both know the rest of the tale. Seeking dominion over all men, the Shadowking forged the Nightstone. But Talek Talembar defeated his father and sealed both Shadowking and Nightstone inside the crag upon which, an eon later, Iriaebor was raised."

So, according to this, Iriaebor wasn't even founded yet and won't be for a long time (eon). But earlier in the same book, it was mentioned that the Nightstone was found 1,000 years after it was buried. So, that means that the stone was buried around 363 DR. But, Ed specifies in So Sayeth Ed that El's nehpew, Moeblur Taetyn, was trapped in a stasis trap under Iriaebor over 1,000 years prior to 1337. That piece has this to say about Iriaebor:

"In time he came to Iriaebor, and hired on as a cellarer there (intending to stay only long enough to fill his belly and stay warm during the winter months) in a tavern. Whilst rummaging for long-forgotten bottles in an undercellar, he found a loose stone behind which was an even deeper cellar. Being Moeblur, he had to explore it without delay-and so found a long-hidden Netherese tomb."

So, in 337 DR, Iriaebor existed and had been there long enough to have "long forgotten bottles" in a tavern cellar. Even if that "long forgotten" was only 5 years, that pushes Iriaebor's existence back to at least 332. Even if the burial of the Nightstone was pushed back to 331, that is not an "eon" of time if Iriaebor had to have existed by 332.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2021 :  18:33:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i believe i can have a go at explaining that one.

YOu just have to excuse Ed for using the name Iriaebor when he meant to refer to it by another name but for ease of understanding used the modern one.

Settlements appear to be founded and refounded time and again over the top of older settlements because they are good places to settle.

The Netherese settled the region when they arrived before and after -339 DR. At the time i reckon the talfir were nomadic, but they learned civilisation from the Netherese.

So Iriaebor, being located at a river confluence is a great place for a settlement (nice fertile land around it from the flood plains). The Tor itself may not have been, but its likely that many netherese settled here and built growing town of sorts.

I'm going to imagine they struggled to survive against the goblinoids and giants of the region, but had some help from the fortress of darkhold (which was also ruled by a netherese arcanist).

Then sometime around 90 DR Verraketh became the SHadowking and started hunting his and neighbouring lands to extinction. I'm willing to bet he scoured the lands along the Winding River first forcing the talfir south and west, so may have reached the River Chionthar and its settlements sometime over the next 50 years.

Which means Iriaebor (need to give it a new name) was a target from 140 DR onwards and likely empty within a few decades.

Now the Shadowking was defeated around 323 DR and the talfir come flooding back to the old settlement which now has a huge tor poking out the middle of it. So by 337 DR this would be newly settled land again amid the ruins of the old netherese settlement. Athalantar is felled in 342 DR and so Els nephew could have arrived anytime around then and discovered the long forgotten netherese bottle .

As for the name. Iriaebor is an oddly constructed name, three vowels that dont normally get used together. I believe this can be a clue to Iriaebor's old netherese or Talfir name.

Talek Talembar becomes Calen Calendir. So we can swap I's and As. R's are the same. T's are swapped with C's in what seems to be an alphabetic confusion so we could do something similar as what happens between welsh and english so B and T are swapped. In the end we could end up with something like Arai's or Aray's Tor. Aray being the name of a netherese arcanist that ruled here before the shadowking drove him away and the Tor added to the name because the Tor appeared suddenly.

The later arrival of Cormyreans and Sembias centuries later warp the language again and it is altered to Iriaebor.

Just my thoughts. Settlements and kingdoms being abandoned and settled and resettled many times over the millennia is a common realms occurrence and can be used to solve so many inconsistencies (plus its a favourite trick of George and Eric - Impiltur, Phalorm)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2021 :  19:20:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curse of the Shadowmage (1364 DR)

Other Lore
The Darkling Hour, the time of thieves and wizards, after the moon has gone but before the sun has risen. [prologue]
Events of the Shadowking had taken place 2 and a half years ago [1]
Raystingers, flat boneless animals (fish???) that trail behind whiplike barbs filled with poison. Found off the coast of Amn during warm tides [2]
Expensive Amnian carpets [3]
Magestone, a dark pebble bearing the runic symbol of magic. Tests magical ability of an individual, sparks when held (burns the runic symbol into the skin). Those that do not possess the Gift are wounded (sometimes slain) by a magestone [3]
Ravendas stole the Book of the Shadows from the library of Elversult when she began her search for the Crypt of the Shadowking [5]
Serafi of Darkhold knows the secret to save Caledan (how????), he will tell Morhion in exchange for his body (Serafi will possess Morhion’s body and Morhion’s soul will depart – he will die) [5]
Renegade Harpers (those that discard their pins and refuse orders), every harper is obliged to hunt them down [6]
Two migrations came to the Caravan Cities region after the talfir and Ebenfar. The first came from the East, crossing the Sunset Mountains. A few centuries ago a new wave of settlers from Cormyr and Sembia settled the region [6]
Stiletto is a new power in the underworld of the Western Heartlands. He appeared two years ago and risen to power quickly. He is taking control of more and more criminal operations [7]
Many gateways scattered across the Realms, you can travel between them if you know the right spells
The Dusk Road leads from Corm Orp to Iriaebor to Elturel
Gibberling lair in a cave network near Corm Orp. Over 100 gibberlings have laired here for a long time. [9]
Thief etiquette says that wandering thieves must be welcomed into guild property / territory for a single night. After that they are fair game [10]
Red amnian wine [11]
Believed to be lots of gold in Mount Ghaethluntar (frozen forest) [12]
Jewel and Cormik get married and run Ferret’s criminal empire from Iriaebor [epilogue]
Iron blocks magic, useful to store enchanted objects [epilogue]

Iriaebor Lore
Kadian, street urchin, big man, broad shoulders, pale hair, graceful movements (his mother may have had a touch of elven blood) [prologue]
Dragon’s Eyes, a gambling den at the intersection of the Street of Jewels and Street of Lanterns [prologue]
Mari and Caledan found a spy in the High Tower (Caledan killed him), he could have been Zhentarim [1]
Since Harvestide there had been a dozen grisly murders in Iriaebor, each victim horribly mauled, each victim not a nice person (from nobles to thieves). Caledan and his shadows have killed them [1]
Barbed Hook, a tavern in the New City on the waterfront. A dilapidated building fashioned from the overturned hull of a barnacle encrusted galleon [2]
Zhentarim were plotting to take over Iriaebor, operated out of the Barbed Hook tavern and a secret room behind an iron door [2]
Darkhold had once been part of Netheril and 2000 years ago Serafi had tried to seize the throne. He was executed for treason but persisted as a ghost. Morhion made a pact with Serafi to help him and Caledan escape from the catacombs of Darkhold [3]
Cormik, one of the most powerful of the criminal underworld lords in Iriaebor [6]
The towers of the Old City are connected by bridges, many of them are crumbling and in ill repair, some are walked only at great peril. It is possible to walk from one end of the Tor to the other without ever touching the ground. Merchant stalls and vendors ply their trade on the bridges [6]
Jewel Talondim (Ferret’s grandmother) owns an invisible tower (accessed by an invisible bridge) in the Old City. 93 years old, but looks about 30, apparently the Talondim women age gracefully (elvish blood, magic longevity ????). Has a slight foot drag due to age or injury [7,11]
The Talondim Clan are an independent family of thieves not affiliated with any guild. Normally such independents are eradicated by guilds but the Talondims are unusually powerful thanks to Jewel, so the guilds try and ally with the Talondims [7]
Morhion’s spire raised 3 centuries ago by a powerful mage. The mage placed a powerful gateway beneath the spire. The gateway is a powerful artefact eons old. Serafi knows the gateway is powerful (is it Netherese in origin????)

Shadow Monsters
Shadowbeast, fangs, talons, and horns, two red eyes [prologue]
Created only in the presence of light (light needed to cast a shadow????) [3]
Shadevar, grey hide rough like stone, onyx barbs protrude from its forearms and sternum and backbone, featureless face with two small slits for a nose and two depressions where its eyes should have been, a slit mouth filled with countless needle teeth [10]
3 Shadevar around Hills Edge, searching for Caledan and Mari [10]
Shadowsteeds, hazy, indistinct shapes of black smoke, resemble a hybrid lizard / bat, big enough to carry a shadevar [10]
Shadow creatures can be created by the shadevari as well as the shadowking [15]
Shadow creatures can merge together to form greater creatures. For instance shadow hounds merged to form a shadow dragon [16]

Kellen Lore
11 years old, but looks like a 7 or 8 year old [1]
Black hair, grey green eyes, slight build [1]
Lives with Caledan at the Sign of the Dreaming Dragon [1]
Shadowmagic, always appears at least once in every generation [1]
Has the Gift and shadowmagic [3]

Shadowking Lore
Great sorcerer named Verraketh, eventually his dark power transformed him into the Shadowking [1]
Ruled Ebenfar for centuries from his dark throne, lay waste to all the lands around, drew strength from the destruction of living things [1]
Forged the Nightstone deep in a mountain cave. The Nightstone could control all shadows, including those within a man’s heart [1]
When the Shadowking tried to use the Nightstone, one of his trolls threw off his disguise and revealed himself as Talek Talembar a great bard. Talembar bound the shadowsong into the Nightstone as it was being forged so the Nightstone obeyed Talembar. The Shadowking and Talembar fought night and day for a year. Talembar wrested the Nightstone from the Shadowking and thus the Shadowking was defeated, he then raised a great cairn over the crypt of the Shadowking [1]
Caledan is transforming into a Shadowking [5]
A falling star fell to Toril, a bard saw it and journeyed to the crater finding a piece of metal which he quenched in a pool of water and made it into a medallion on a silver chain. From that day his fortunes changed, he became a famous musician, a noble lord, the ruler of his own land. His name was Verraketh Talembar. The medallion granted him great magical power over shadows which was passed onto his only son Talek Talembar (who became a bard and sorcerer in his own right). Verraketh did not age, he became known as the Shadowmage and his kingdom was called Ebenfar [6]
Over the centuries the Shadowstar transformed Verraketh into the Shadowking. Then the Shadowking forged the Nightstone and Talek Talembar defeated the Shadowking and sealed the Shadowstar and the Nightstone in the crag upon which Iriaebor was raised [6]
Talek Talembar renders as Calen Calendir in the post talfir language of the region. This became Caledan Caldorian in cormyrean [6]
The Shadowstar was stolen from the Crypt of the Shadowking (how????) and now lies in the possession of the thief named Stiletto [6]
There is an incantation in the Book of the Shadows that can reverse the Shadowking transformation before it is complete
Shadowking possesses the ability to warp and shape flesh, stone, wood, anything with a thought (unconsciously can shape things according to his emotions) [13]
The Shadowstar can be used to create onyx black marble [14]
The Shadowstar can teleport the wielder (it teleported Ferret to a hill north Soubar) [14]
The Shadowstar makes the wearer very lucky [14]
The Shadowstar makes the owner very possessive of it [14]
The Shadowstar can make magic doors [14]
Ebenfar (the capital????) lies at the centre of the High Moor. Serafi knows about its location [15]
The Shadowstar is linked to the shadevari [15]
Shadevari are older than the world, beings of pure chaos, they were tricked by Azuth who used illusion to make them enter a prison and then locked them in using the Shadowstar (made by Gons) and hurled into the outer cosmos. The Shadowstar returned to Toril and was found by Verraketh who vowed to release the shadevari once he was powerful enough [17]
Shadevari known as the Eyeless Ones
In some Talfir dialects the word shadow and shadevar are the same [18]

Corm Orp Lore
Little village, most residents are halflings that live in burrows but some humans live in stone houses surrounding the village commons [4]
Tam Acorn, halfling [4]
Pel Baker, makes sugarberry pies, lives and works near the centre of Corm Orp [4]
Harvest Festival held in Uktar [4]
Old Quince Piper, grandfather to Ali Bramble, currently unwell, plays the flute at harvest festival [4]
Rin Miller, middle aged halfling [4]
Ali Bramble, granddaughter of Quince Miller [4]
Caledan journeys to Corm Orp, his music brings the shadows to life and they start to kill the villagers and animals [4]
7 days travel (by horse) north of Iriaebor
A score of stone buildings clustered around a wide point in the Dusk Road. The low hills around the vale are filled with halfling burrows
The Green Door, a comfortable stone building inn, it extends into the hill behind it with rooms for halflings and humans
Estah grew up in Corm Orp and is considered a local hero

Easting Lore
trading town. Dwarves come down from the Sunset Mountains to sell the metal they forge in Easting but lately the dwarves have not been coming and Easting trade is drying up. [4]
The dwarves were being captured by orcs, led by an orc named Gtharn. The orcs were forcing the dwarves to make weapons and armour for them. Mari freed the orcs and slew Gtharn [4]

Magic Language
Avarra – Open
Bahadra – Close

Talfir Language
K'sai'eb'mal – on the Nature of Shadows [12]

Berdusk Lore
Twilight Hall, stands on a green hill in the centre of Berdusk, consists of a number of stone buildings clustered around a central courtyard. Much of the compound lies below ground, including the twilight hall itself for which the place is named [10]
The Great Hall beneath the harper compound, an ingenious dwarven construction hewn out of the rock, resembling not a cavern but a dusky primeval forest, with countless columns carved to resemble trees (their stone branches supporting the ceiling), walls covered with lifelike leaves of copper and gold, a floor of mottled green and brown marble [10]

K’shar Lore
Best Hunter (assassin) in the harpers [10]
Joined the harpers 20 years ago, spent much of that time in the Heartlands hunting Zhentarim, Red Wizards, or goblin leaders, whoever the harpers command he hunts [10]
Bored with his work (unchallenging), thinking of leaving the harpers [10]
Skin colour is a deep burnished bronze, golden eyes, colourless (white???) close cropped hair, unusually tall and thin but graceful, has slightly pointed ears and tilted eyes hinting at elvish ancestry [10]
Ordered to slay Caledan Caldorien (and Mari Al’maren if she interferes) [10]
Able to run as fast and as far as a horse (how????) [10]
Half elf [12]
His grandmothers people were persecuted because of their abilities – like seeing in the dark – acquired from generations of living underground [12]
His grandmother was a drow who loved a green elf of the forest (a slave) and bore him a daughter even though she herself was killed for it. His mother was outcast from the drow city and came to the surface where she was killed by humans [20]

Hill’s Edge Lore
Crawling with Zhentarim [10]
Has at least 6 inns [10]
The Five Rings, an inn on the western edge of town, harpers stay here and Zhentarim are not allowed. Owned by Faladhar a red faced man who dislike Zhentarim[10]

Triel Lore
Fortified town located where the Dusk Road meets the Trade Way, serves as a way station for traveling merchants, a cluster of cottages and storehouses surrounded by a sturdy stockade of stone and wood [11]
Beris, youngest of 20 mercenaries in service to Lord Elvar [11]
Sarig, veteran mercenary in service to Lord Elvar [11]
Lord Elvar, an overlarge man with beady eyes and a piggish upturned nose, rules a region that includes Triel, dislikes strangers, switches religion every tenday [11]
Tales that the King of the Dead comes as a dark man riding a pale horse [11]
At least one inn [11]

Talis Lore
Talfirian Watchers, stone statues, built by the talfir a thousand years ago to guard the ancient roads (runs south from the Reaching Woods) [12]
Ruined remnants of a talfir city in the Reaching Woods around the river, named Talis. Home to an old woman named Isela [12]
Talis is full of traps that uses peoples magic against them. A pyramid topped by a golden orb, those with the Gift that touch it activate the trap and fall into a pit that closes over [12]
Heartroot, a small black seed that flowers into a purple plant but only when placed on the chest of someone with heart difficulties (used to treat arhythmias and heartstop????). The plant cures heart problems quickly and then becomes brittle and falls apart (does the plant produce more seeds when it flowers????) [12]
Great oracle, leader of his people a tribe of the Talfir, journeyed to the Reaching Woods and foretold of a child marked by magic who would come on a quest to stop and great darkness and decide the fate of the Talfiric people. He declared someone must await the child and so the city of Talis was built. [12]
Isela gave Morhion a leather bound ancient book (K'sai'eb'mal, on the Nature of Shadows) and a silver ring inset with a violet gem [12]
The silver ring is able to imbue items with magical power to defeat shadow creatures more easily. It enchanted the walls of a tower to prevent shadow hounds from entering and enchanted their weapons to kill the beasts [16]
The silver ring separates shadows and shadevari into light and dark (how????) [20]

Soubar Lore
Soubar, a sprawling tent city, seasonal trading town on the harsh plains south of the Forest of Wyrms with only 30 or so permanent structures in winter. In summer its population increases a hundred fold due to merchants etc, by fall only swindlers, charlatans, and thieves remain [13]
Goris, trader, thief, bully that frequents Soubar [13]
Stiletto’s base of operations is in Soubar [14]
Stiletto is Ferret [14]
Ferret left his criminal empire in the hands of Jewel and Cormik while he went to rescue Caledan [15]

Ebenfar Lore
Located in the High Moor [15]
A bridge made of onyx created by magic [18]
Two gigantic basalt colossi crafted in the form of shadevari [18]
The High Moor was once infused with music, some claim it was an echo of the gods. When the shadowstar fell into the vale it became infused with that music becoming part of it. Thereafter the music had power to quell the shadowstar. Talek Talembar used that music in the shadowsong to defeat the Shadowking [18]
The Shadowking, when he was alive, was able to damage the music of the vale [18]
The centre of Ebenfar is located in the impact crater of the Shadowstar [18]
The Valesong, generated by a river of lava beneath the vale heating steams of water that rise up through fissures (lava tubes) and make an organ like hum [18,19,20]
The Throne of Ebenfar sits atop a gigantic basalt pillar in the centre of the impact crater [18]
Underground rivers provide the water that steams onto the lave and rises out the fissure. One river sealed behind a door of unusual metal operated by a lever carved with runes (unrecognisable to K’shar – not elvish????) [20]
The Valesong killed the Shadowking and melted the Shadowstar. Caledan emerged from the Shadowking and cast Serafi into the Abyss (losing his shadow magic in the process). The Shadowstar cooled into a new medallion that Kellen now wears [21]

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2021 :  19:35:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didnt enjoy the second book quite so much, mostly in my mind the story of the shadowstar and the shadowking didnt work, and it was a lot lighter on lore.

So the SHadowking was created by the Shadowstar, presumably the influence of the SHadevari over a prolonged period of time or an escalation in Verraketh's powers until he could work a transformation on himself (many of the Shadowking's powers seem to involve warping of physical matter).

With the Shadowstar the SHadowking can call a Shadevar into being, but these are not the Shadevari of ancient times (it was explained as they are avatars but that doesnt work because the Shadevari arent gods, more like these are imitations).

So Snake must have originally used the Shadowstar to call the first Shadevar into existence, or that Shadevar was already loose in the realms. If he did have the Shadowstar then why did he bother to put it back in the tomb, and if he didnt then how did he call the Shadevar.

The next issue i have is why did the SHadowking bother with the Nightstone at all. He has the Shadowstar, a clearly superior artefact that allows him to work incredible magic, creating shadowy black onyx stone on command, enchanting bridges to last a thousand years, teleporting vast distances, and summoning shadevari. And yet he creates this nightstone to control every living creature on Toril although its not clear that was its actual power, it only ever appeared to do one thing - act as a prison for the SHadowking. Perhaps it was his phylactery.

Talis is an odd one, the talfir appear to have the magic necessary to destroy shadows and shadevari, one can only assume they developed this after the fall of the Shadowking (otherwise they would have been able to defeat him easily). THen there is the prophecy about a child of shadowmagic, i'm wondering if this is not a corruption of a cautionary tale advising the talfir to beware the descendants of Verraketh because they can become the SHadowking.

Did not like the Valesong, a huge set of natural panpipes made in the place exactly where the shadowstar crashes to toril, talk about the ultimate of coincidences. I'm thinking the metal door and runic rod is actually a dwarven contraption and the shadowstar crashed into a mixed elven / dwarven settlement. I believe the dwarves of dardath settled the High Moor and may have built beneath an older Miyeritar settlement long buried so perhaps the shadowstar crashed into the elven settlement ruins and smashed the song path / portal into the ground and into the dwarven ruins underneath which Verraketh then sealed by closing one of the doors and trapping the leaking songpath.

I wonder if Verraketh was actually trapped in Ebenfar and had to return here every few days to recharge (otherwise why bother to put the throne here and turn of the Valesong).

I think a significant piece of work to puzzle out Ebenfar is what's needed.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2021 :  21:35:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And serafi is definitely a sword mage or eldritch knight or a wizard that can wear armour. He draws on morhions life force to cast a spell at one of the shadevar.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
733 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2021 :  00:15:55  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And serafi is definitely a sword mage or eldritch knight or a wizard that can wear armour. He draws on morhions life force to cast a spell at one of the shadevar.

Serafi's story nicely fits in with the timeline I had created for the Darkhold (used to be called Fjelltobyrdfestingheim). For what I assembled, Serafi is very likely from Wreathe. The Netherese, in their eyes, took over the keep in -543 (after Wreathe was destroyed because they needed someplace to send their hunting parties from). Of course, the giants there at the time don't see it that way. So, Serafi would have died around -543 (that puts it at 1,907 years prior to Curse of the Shadowmage or about 2,000 years ago).

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2021 :  14:37:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fallen Fortress (1361 – 1362 DR)

Carradoon Lore
Lakeview Street turns south onto Boulevard of the Bridge [prologue]
Temple of Ilmater [1]

Ghost Lore
Ghost’s spirit recalled from the afterlife (hell) by the Ghearafu, he returned as an undead creature [1]
Ghost can now become insubstantial at will [1]
His touch causes rapid aging and death [1]
Feeds off emotions and fear [1]
Twice during his long life Ghost had permanently exchanged bodies [1]
The Ghearafu possesses an evil sentience [2]
Ghearafu, made of a gold mirror and a pair of mismatched gloves (one black, one white) [5]
Ghearafu created millennia ago by denizens of chaos (the Abyss????) [9]
Ghearafu, destroyed by the fires of an ancient red dragon (Fyrentennimar) [9]

Edificant Library
Vicero Belago, resident alchemist, thin wiry man [1]
Headmaster Avery Schell (slain in previous book) [1]
Histra, priestess of Sune [1]
Headmistress Pertelope is dying from her failed transformation [2]

Castle Trinity
Aballister has an extra dimensional space that the originally created when he was at the Edificant Library [4]
Hydra, manticore, chimera, golems, and a young black dragon under Aballister’s command [19]
Dorigen has stood beside Aballister for many years [19]
Castle Trinity is abandoned by Dorigen who orders the soldiers to disperse to Carradoon and the goblinoids and giants to return home [25]
Dorigen goes to the Edificant Library to serve a penance [25]
Aballister is dead, sucked into the ground on another plane [24]

Snowflake Mountains Lore
Fyrentennimar, Nightglow the name of a dreaded mountain peak. Tales two centuries old of the mountain that glows in the night visible from the Shining Plains. Galladel knew of old Fyren (an old red dragon) two centuries ago [5,6]

Other Lore
Dragonbane spell, old created by wizards and priests millennia ago, creates an invisible wall that dragons cannot cross [7]

Cadderly
Aballister killed his mother by accident during one of his experiments [23]

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2021 :  14:41:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Fallen Fortress was almost not worth the read in terms of lore. I have to admit my brain shut down about chapter 14 and i glazed over the fight scenes (which extended right up to chapter 24)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1822 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2021 :  15:33:50  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ebenfar is located in the centre of the High Moor. Now i'll assume it is not actually in the centre, but just somewhere in the High Moor, and it was probably just the place where Verraketh slept / lived rather than being the entirety of his empire because he claimed land as far away as Iriaebor.

The exact location is shown on the map at the beginning of the second novel.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2021 :  10:15:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it looks like Prince of Lies is where it begins with gods appearing in person and messing around with Faerun.

Normally i would just ignore this completely but it strikes me that Cyric may actually not have truly ascended and so his presence on the Material Plane is actually his presence.

What i mean is what distinguishes a demi / quasi power from a true god (lesser and upwards). The answer from what i can tell is that a demigod is limited to a single body, and that single body is their material form, they havent yet ascended to become part of some outer plane domain and separate their soul / essence.

This appears to have occurred several times in realms history. The Untheric and Mulhorandi gods had power far beyond traditional demigod levels but were still in a material body. The Dark Three absorbed the power of multiple demigods and elder powers and remained in mortal form for quite some time.

So what if Cyric did not properly ascend, what if he remained in a single material body (i'm guessing the easiest way to ascend is to die but that must be scary as hell). What if having all that power trapped in his body is what drove him mad and allowed him to succumb to such magic and deceptions as godsbane and the Cyrinishad.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2021 :  16:24:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Random thought, Godsbane the sword (although noted it was not called Godsbane until after the Time of Troubles) could be used to permanently destroy souls, outer planar creatures and even Jergal.

Cyric used it to drain some of Jergal's life and he seemed genuinely afraid of being destroyed by it.

Now Jergal is a demigod at this point and should be all but immune to magical items of any kind.

However, thanks to recent works we have 7 daggers created to slay demigod like beings. Could it be that GOdsbane is one of these daggers of Rdiuz.

As a further twist. Ochir Naal was slain 1400 years ago, he is known for corrupting a series of dwarven daggers from Delzoun to allow them to combine and enhance their capabilities around 1900 years ago. Giving him a lifespan of at least from -600 DR to -100 DR.

Could it be that Ochir Naal also found at least two of the daggers of Rdiuz and experimented with combining them. These two combined to form a shortsword (rose in hue) that possessed an intelligence.
Now the wizards of Rdiuz had access to one of the Imaskarcana so they had a repository of Imaskari lore at their fingertips. I wouldnt be surprised if the seven daggers of Rdiuz were named after prominent Imaskari artificers and so one of the daggers could have been named the Imask dagger.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6197 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2021 :  10:56:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason Godsbane could affect and slay the gods was because it was a god itself - specifically Mask in a secret, unique avatar form.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 18 Mar 2021 10:57:29
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2021 :  11:04:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't say i ever liked the revelation of Godsbane as Mask, and as we know, the gods lie all the time.

The information around Mask and the sword is inconsistent. Godsbane was an ancient sword, had many owners, the one in the time of troubles was a halfling who took it from another owner, it was used by soldiers and kings

The bit with Mask is added much later and doesnt really match up with the rest of the history and around the Time of Troubles Mask is only a Lesser Power and loses more power during the course of various events which makes it unlikely he possessed the capability to slay Greater Powers.

Just my thoughts, but regardless of whether the sword is Mask or not, does not remove the possibility for the sword having an origin story of its own and then Mask later came to inhabit the sword.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2021 :  11:07:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kezef is now on the trail of Kelemvor. After Kelemvor fought his elder brother he wandered the cities of the Heartlands, never staying in one for more than a tenday at a time. That says to me that Lyonsbane Keep is in or near the Heartlands (a young man on foot and alone is not going to get very far, even if he can transform into a werebeast).

The Heartlands being Cormyr, Sembia, the Dalelands (not the Western Heartlands). I'm still thinking the Lyonsbanes had a keep in the Stonelands, they weren't true nobility but had a keep and servants and behaved like nobles. Kelemvor had a familiarity with Cormyr.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2021 :  13:52:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not finished the book yet but I have a real problem with the depiction of the gods in this novel (big surprise I know).

So at various times the gods claim to be omnipotent within their particular sphere of influence while at the same time showing themselves to be complete weaklings.

During the meeting of the circle Mystra cuts Cyric off from the Weave. A seeming horrific punishment but given that the weave is only present on Toril it should not affect Cyric at all, especially in Hades. Mystra does not rule Hades so cannot prevent Cyric from working magic in Hades.

During another meeting it is threatened that if Mystra commits a crime then she will be cut off by all the other gods, which means dawn will never strike her temples, her worshippers will never be able to grow crops. Presumably this also means they will all become hideously ugly (Sune), will not be able to feel pain (loviatar), will be unable to wage war (tempus, or suffer any good luck (tymora) or suffer any bad luck (beshaba), or tell a lie.
Now these claims are complete nonsense, the gods do not have that level of control over the world, they simply are not that powerful.

And then we have events such as Mystra fighting a clockwork inquisition, where she is weak and powerless against the creature despite the fact that she should have strength to rival a storm giant and constitution to regenerate wolverine style.

So how can anyone rationalise this inconsistency.

I think the explanation comes from the novel itself. The gods are completely and totally insane. They absolutely believe they have total power over their portfolios, because their priests absolutely believe it, and they have persuaded the common people to believe it as well.

So all this stuff about a god knowing about whenever someone does something involving that gods portfolio is actually just a fictional delusion of a being with a singularly focused interpretation of the universe (with themself and their portfolio at the centre and everything else revolving around it).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2021 :  15:45:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prince of Lies (1368 DR)

Gwydion Lore
Gwydion “the Quick”, a Purple Dragon soldier, beat every challenger in a footrace, running along the Promenade in Suzail. [prologue]
Scout during the Tuigan crusade, and messenger. Left the Purple Dragons after the Crusade [prologue]
Now a sellsword and adventurer on foray into the Great Grey Land of Thar with Lady Cardea and Aram Scragglebeard [prologue]
Lady Cardea had a priceless elf crafted bow, slain by Thrym the giant [prologue]
Aram Scragglebeard, had many enchantments (mage) slain by Thrym the giant [prologue]
Follower of Torm the True
Slain by Thrym after delusions made him believe he was blessed by Torm [prologue]
Gwydion, son of Gareth the Blacksmith, born in Suzail 30 years ago [1]

Thar Lore
Thrym the giant, wears a breastplate that used to be one of the front doors of a Vaasan Palace. Blue eyes, battle axe (frost giant????) [prologue]
Marble chute in a fissure that leads to a man made chamber where an avatar of Torm appears to Gwydion. Torm wears ancient, ornate armour hued a dusky purple (like great warriors dedicated to Torm’s cause). Spikes carved from the bones of evil dragons slain in his name jut from elbows and knees. [prologue]
Shrine of Alban Onire, holy to Torm, was the final resting place of Alban Onire, Holy Knight of Duty, known as a foe of all evil giants. Alban Onire, a handsome young man slain centuries ago, his body is magically preserved wearing his dusky purple plate mail. His soul is at rest, his body will remain until someone comes forth to take his place as a bane to giants and dragons [prologue]
Alban Onire’s sword was called Titanslayer, a silver white blade with a gem encrusted scabbard. One touch from the sword will slay any giant and no giant may harm the wielder of Titanslayer [prologue]
Kelemvor and his 8 adventuring companions (including Cyric) fought with Thrym and his frost giants before the Time of Troubles, searching for the Ring of Winter. The frost giants slew everyone but Kelemvor and Cyric both of whom fled [9]
Thrym and the frost giants of Thar worship a frost elemental creature called Zzutam [9]
Someone had been spreading rumours that the Ring of Winter and the lost crown of King Beldoran could be found in their lair. The rumours were false but led a steady stream of adventurers to their deaths and the hands of Thrym and his frost giants [15]
Zzutam had been the deity of Thrym’s forefathers. Thrym is chief of the frost giants [15]
Zzutam ordered the frost giants to lead an army of goblins and gnolls against Zhentil Keep (Zzutam was commanded by Cyric) [15]

Other Lore
Torm the True, God of Duty, Patron of Loyalty, Torm the Brave [prologue]
Astolfo of Highpeak slain [1]
Frode Silverbeard, slain [1]
Magnes son of Eldryn, slain [1]
Hemah, foul knight of Talos, slain [1]
Perdix and Af, divine minions of Cyric [1]
Priests of Torm must learn the words for Duty and Loyalty in as many languages as possible (they spend the first year of their service sequestered in their cell learning the words. [1]
Godsbane (the sword wielded by Cyric – not its original name – named Godsbane after the Time of Troubles) had destroyed many soldiers and kings that had tried to bend it to their will [2]
Church of Cyric sent groundlings to hunt priestesses of Mystra in Sembia [4]
Church of Cyric desecrating Torm’s shrine in Tantras [4]
Church of Cyric disrupting holy rites of Tyr in Suzail [4]
Church of Cyric betraying agents of the Church of Mask in the city watch of Waterdeep [4]
Church of Cyric, for a decade had every available resource trying to divine the location of Kelemvor Lyonsbane’s soul [4]
Cyric’s agents spread lies about Kelemvor murdering Leira to gain sympathy with the Church of Leira hierarchy. Assassins of Cyric killed those Leiran faithful who were vocal in their opposition to allying with Cyric’s clergy. [4]
Mask the Shadowlord, Gond the Gearsmith [4]
Perverse examples of worship. A canvas painted by a Deneiran using the blood of her own children. An axe used to enforce the judgement of a mad king who ruled in the name of Tyr. A single silver nail used by a worshiper of Sune after he saw a vision of her and believed he would never see anything as beautiful ever again. A worshiper of Chauntea who slit his wrists thinking his blood would make crops grow faster. A druid of Eldath who drowned everyone that ventured near his secluded pool because they disturbed the peace. A knight of Torm who tortured anyone that told even the most insignificant lie. A Gondsmith who chopped off his own left hand so he could replace it with a mechanical one he dreamed about the night before. [4]
Jergal has yellow, poisonous blood, yellow eyes, grey skin [6]
Godsbane can destroy any creature including outer planar beings and gods (Jergal is afraid of it) [6]
Jergal suggested unleashing the Chaos Hound. Godsbane seemed afraid of the mention of the Chaos Hound [6]
Cyric owns an ornate silver cup ever full of the tears of disillusioned dreamers and brokenhearted lovers [6]
Harsh winter in 1368 DR in Cormyr lasting several months and blanketing everything with snow [7]
The Church of Cyric has sent many assassins to kill High Priest Adon of the Church of Mystra [7]
Adon possesses a magic ring (supposedly created by Mystra) that warns him of Cyricist assassins [7]
The Golden Quill Society in Waterdeep, bards run an asylum to care for those driven mad by magics gone awry (a branch of the Church of Mystra). King Trebor is a patient he keeps saying “the angels have fangs”. [7]
After killing his father and elder brother, Kelemvor wandered the cities of the Heartlands, not staying in any longer than a tenday (Lyonsbane Keep must have been near or in the Heartlands????) [9]
Lord Chess slain while helping Mask try to bind Kezef the Chaos Hound atop Blackstaff Tower in Waterdeep [9]
Kelemvor once spent a month in a Sembian jail cell (what for????) [10]
Godsbane can channel the energy of soul to its wielder, can store it for later, or can use it for herself [10]
The 398 (including Bevis) failed scribes of the Cyrinishad where transformed into Burning Men in Cyric’s Castle of Bone [7]
The soul of Gwydion the Quick and 8 other insurrectionists are transformed into the clockwork inquisitors and unleashed upon Zhentil Keep to destroy all that speak out against the Church of Cyric within Zhentil Keep’s walls [11]
Gargauth’s Journal (currently resides in Oghma’s keeping), details primordial battles between greater powers and weird things even mightier than Ao. Contains a magic to breach all divine barriers and see through all godly deceptions [14]
Mask describe’s Godsbane as a god slaying blade. Mask has been helping the sword hide Kelemvor’s soul from Cyric. Godsbane will release Kelemvor’s soul in return for vengeance against Cyric [14]
Gwydion and the clockwork inquisitors are released from their servitude to Cyric by Mystra and Gond and sent back to the Cyric’s realm to stir up a rebellion. Gwydion is given the sword Titanslayer by Torm [17]
60,000 priests and worshippers of Cyric in Toril [18]
The True Life of Cyric the Mad protected by enchantments, any weapon striking the tome is broken [18]
Lord Harcourt, led a cavalry unit of the Army of the Alliance during the Crusade [19]

Zhentil Keep Lore
Bevis, illuminator (illustrator of books and manuscripts) for hire. Hired by the Church of Cyric to add minor illustrations to the Cyrinishad, a work detailing the events of the Time of Troubles (from Cyric’s point of view). His daughter used to be an illuminator [2]
Illuminator’s Guild in Zhentil Keep [2]
Xeno Mirrormane, high priest of Cyric. Silver white curly hair. Murdered his brother Maskul Mirrormane (former high priest of Cyric) [2]
Lord Chess, fat nobleman of Zhentil Keep, bulbous nose, used to worship Leira but hasnt been a practising cleric in years [2,5]
The crypts of Zhentil Keep once held the honoured dead of Bane, warriors, priests and statesmen. After the Time of Troubles the faithful of Cyric plundered the crypts and dumped the remains of Bane’s faithful in the River Tesh [2]
A group of assassins operate out of the now empty crypts. Wizards perform magical experiments in the empty crypts. The crypts are slowly filling with Cyric’s faithful and monasteries to Cyric [2]
Hundreds of scribes and illuminators in Zhentil Keep (397) have been tortured and executed after working on the various versions of the Cyrinishad [2]
Fzoul, red hair braided with bands of silver from the forest of Lethyr, hates Cyric [2]
Cyrinishad pages and binding are made from the skin of scribes of failed versions [2]
Rinda, green eyes, brown hair, slender, medium height, daughter of Bevis, lives in a one story hovel in the poorest part of Zhentil Keep working as a scribe for the poor and unfortunate people (which the Scribes Guild don’t do), and helping people learn to read and write. Helps women escape from Madame Februa who runs the local brothel [5]
Hodur, dwarf, beard and hair a tangled mop of black and silver. Grey eyes, a brown eyepatch circled with silver studs covers one eye. Is a Zhentarim agent sent to spy on Rinda (she was good at smuggling people out of Zhentil Keep, used a cover as a drunkard until Rinda saved him to get close to her [5,6]
The Serpent’s Eye, a tavern or inn in Zhentil Keep [5]
Var and Worvo, thugs in Zhentil Keep in the employ of the Church of Cyric, identifiable by red armbands with a leering white skull surrounded by a black sun [5]
The slums are a deathtrap for those walking at night, press gangs, assassins, creatures hungry for human flesh, the naug-adar [5]
Naug-adar “devil dogs”, Zhentarim wizards searching for victims to subject to sadistic experiments. The Naug-adar even prey on members of the Church of Cyric [5]
The Black Network has no respect for the Church of Cyric [4]
Common practice for the Church of Cyric to hire messengers and then have them killed after the message is delivered [5]
Cyric was born in a house that today is a parchment makers shop in the slums of Zhentil Keep (making parchment from animal skins). Cyric’s father, possibly a leader of the Zhentilar and an agent of the Black Network. Cyric’s mother was murdered by his father and other assassins of the Black Network (why was she so important). Cyric escaped into the sewers as a child. Cyric was found by Astolpho a vintner from Sembia who took him away (to a town in Sembia). Cyric lived with them for a dozen years but left (when he was 16 ish????). Astolpho was found murdered, spiked to the town gates, Astolpho’s wife was never found (did Cyric murder them or was it assassins sent by his father????) - From the Cyrinishad [5]
A bottle of gin, ten coppers, cheaper than clothes [6]
Ivlisar, elf, knows Rinda and Hodur, works as a body snatcher / grave robber selling corpses to merchants and mages [6]
General Vrakk, an orc Zhentilar, decorated with a commendation from Azoun IV for his service during the Crusade [6]
Church of Cyric has persuaded the Zhentilar to limit the opportunities for orcs within their ranks (no promotions only minor tasks [6]
An underground movement against the Church of Cyric has arisen among the inhabitants of Zhentil Keep. It includes Fzoul, former priests of Bane, Myrkul, and Leira, illuminators, some merchants, and Zhentilar orcs. Hodur and Ivlisar are also part of the underground [6]
Cyric was born to a destitute bard who sold herself to Zhentilar to survive. Cyric’s father was a low ranking Zhentilar. She tried to beg money out of him to pay for the child, he killed her and sold Cyric into slavery. Cyric was bought by Astolpho the vintner of Sembia, they eventually grew to regret buying Cyric. Cyric found out he was from Zhentil Keep when he was 10 and ran away but was caught and returned to Astolpho. At 12 years old Astolpho’s business failed and they told Cyric they wish they’d never bought him. Cyric left and Astolpho and his wife were found murdered the next day. Cyric wandered north where he was found by Zhentilar and enslaved once more in Zhentil Keep – from the True Life of Cyric the Mad [6]
Cyric was enslaved in Zhentil Keep from the age of 12. He was bought by the thieves guild of Zhentil Keep and put to work. Eventually he was helped to escape by kind hearted strangers (people like Rinda). There he went searching for the Ring of Winter in Thar but was captured by frost giants and rescued by Kelemvor – from the True Life of Cyric the Mad[11]
Priests of Cyric in Zhentil Keep wear deep purple robes and silver bracelets (the bracelets are symbols of their enslavement to Cyric) [12]
Ygway Mirrormane appointed new lord of Zhentil Keep (after Lord Chess disappeared – his death is unknown) by the Church of Cyric. Simpleton, stammers, plays with toy soldiers. Nephew of Xeno Mirrormane [12]
Worshipping any god other than Cyric, and possessing a holy symbol of any god other than Cyric is made illegal [12]
Bane’s symbol had been scourged from Zhentil Keep after the Time of Troubles [12]
Insanity runs in the Mirrormane family (according to rumours) [12]
Mirrormane family are noble in Zhentil Keep [12]
Travel in and out of Zhentil Keep forbidden unless approved by the Church of Cyric [12]
Most orcs and half orc Zhentilar have been given the punishing duty of repairing the twin bridges crossing the river Tesh [12]
Knucklers, pickpockets that work the crowd at shows and gatherings. If a pickpocket is not a member of the thieves guild then they chop his hands off if they catch him thieving [12]
Otto Marvelius, puppeteer, returns to Zhentil Keep every year, has a permit to put on shows [12]
Clockwork inquisitors sent to Teshwave, Yulash, Mulmaster, Darkhold, Citadel of the Raven [13]
Force Bridge, a long stone bridge that spans the River Tesh [13]
Elusina the Grey, old woman, fortune teller, known to the Zhentilar for her soothsaying (sought by Sergeant Renaldo and his commander before him to tell their future). Guarded by Brok as tall and as wide as an ogre, his nose been broken 3 or 4 times. Former actress that toured with a lesser and disreputable troupe around the Cormyrean countryside. Practiced her pickpocketing on the side. Has no fortune telling ability but puts on a good show. [15]
Sergeant Renaldo of the Zhentilar [15]
Young white dragon abducted by the Church of Cyric, paraded through the streets, branded with Cyric’s symbol and then beaten to death for sport. It reanimated as a zombie dragon and returned to its clan to let them know who killed it. [12,15]
Shanalar, a wizard of Zhentil Keep, purchased white dragon eyes from the Church of Cyric for his dark experiments [15]
Bryn, female Zhentilar soldier. Ulgrym is her Zhentilar commander [15]
Everyone in Zhentil Keep commanded to perform 6 rituals (from the Journal of Gargauth) to locate Kelemvor’s soul, or Zhentil Keep would be destroyed by an army of giants and dragons and goblinoids sent by Cyric.
The Day of Dark Oracles when hundreds of mystics foresaw the destruction of Zhentil Keep. Xeno Mirrormane commanded the Six Services (rituals of Gargauth) be performed to save the city from Cyric’s wrath. The True Life of Cyric the Mad was finished by in secret by Rinda. [15,16]
A flight of white dragons surrounded Zhentil Keep, destroying all caravans and travellers and soldiers they encountered. A force of 300 zhentilar from the Citadel of the Raven were destroyed [16]
The Fourth Service (ritual of Gargauth), maim the voices of two score and ten and send them to sing the praises of Cyric along every alley and path in the city [16]
The Second Service (ritual of Gargauth) involves collecting the body parts of young women [16]
The First Service (ritual of Gargauth) involves a continual supply of corpses for a pyre [16]
Johul the Fletcher, owned a fletchers shop in the slums. His son hated him. Slain as a heretic [16]
Rinda made the guardian of the Cyrinishad by Oghma, given a small scroll made of a single pure diamond which will make her invisible and undetectable to all divine powers, and also identify her to all Oghmanites as the guardian of the Cyrinishad and give her any aid she requires [16]
Xeno Mirrormane slain by Fzoul summoning pillar of fire atop him in the temple of Cyric at the black altar. Fire from the column consumed the temple of Cyric and more than half of Cyric’s faithful perished in the inferno [17]
The Western Gate is enchanted to petrify the first three to strike the gates (it petrified 3 frost giants). 50 Frost giants attacked the western walls and made a breach in the black walls. Magical fire consumed the temple of Cyric. The white dragons blockaded the roads cutting Zhentil Keep off from the thousands of Zhentilar stationed on the Long Road and the Citadel of the Raven. An army of goblins and gnolls approached from the north and west waiting for the giants to breach the walls [18]
Tesh Bridge to the east, Force Bridge (twin towers mark either end of the bridge) to the west [18]
Zadoc and Garm, orc soldiers in the Zhentilar [18]
Wealthy Zhentish families live on the southern end of Force Bridge. Orcish Zhentilar (led by General Vrakk) looted the noble houses (the nobles having fled to the better protected northern end of Zhentil Keep) [18]
Orcish Zhentilar troops sided with the giants and dragons attacking Zhentil Keep. They barricaded Force Bridge and Tesh Bridge to stop people fleeing south. Then they rigged the bridges to explode as the mob tried to escape. Force Bridge and Tesh Bridge destroyed. [18]
Giants and dragons and goblinoids likely to maraud into the Dales after the siege. Vrakk warned Rinda not to stay there [18]
General Vrakk gave Rinda his medal, the Special Order of the Golden Way, given by King Azoun IV to his generals during the Crusade. [18]
Lieutenant (field promotion) Renaldo survived the initial assault but was killed by gnolls searching the ruins [20]
Goblins took up residence in the sewers along with existing residents (giant rats, carrion crawlers, and beholders [20]

Dendar
"In Shar's domain of night I rest,
So dreams may show me how I'm blessed.
If screams of terror break my sleep,
Then Dendar's sunk her fangs too deep." [4]

Orc Language
Dglinkarz – orcish curse used to refer to dwarves [6]