Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Novel Lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5585 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2021 :  18:32:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Family Business (1335 DR)
James Lowder
Set in Uktar
Shadowhawk, Scoril Cimber, bandit (never kills victims but does beat them if they donít comply quickly). Selfish. Most famous bandit in Cormyr (Scoril boasts most famous in the Heartlands). Member of the Thieves Guild in Suzail. Hooked nose, green eyes. Wears a massive, shapeless, hooded, black cape that has become his trademark.
Oric Cimber, eldest son of Scoril, strong but stupid
Artus Cimber, youngest son of Scoril. Owns a blue stone that creates an arcane shield whenever faced with danger, must be in contact with his skin to function.
Peaceful hamlet of Irath lies south east of Waymoot (on the Way of the Dragon????)
Two years ago, Shadowhawk beat a fellow bandit on the road outside Suzail.
Doing the Out and Out Ė thieves guild talk for killing people on the job
The Purple Dragon was worn on the tabard of all who serve in Cormyrís military
Soldiers in Rhigaerdís time wore white tabards with the purple dragon on. Prince Azoun wore a grey tabard under his disguise.
Prince Azoun wears a gold wedding band with Filfaeril inscribed on it, and a gold signet ring encrusted with gems bearing the symbol of House Obarskyr. Azoun is a little older than the Shadowhawk. Often rides out of Suzail in disguise as a wandering cavalier in the adventuring company the Kingís Men. Carries a silver sword (enchanted????). Goes by the name of Balin when in disguise.
Groundlings, possibly dwarves corrupted by Zhentarim magic from Darkhold. Shaggy hair and beard, unkempt and matted, stubby arms, long black talons, red eyes, long snout, long black tongue, stunted ears, body covered in thick hair. Voracious hunters, excellent trackers (able to track by vibrations and scent). Burrow quickly under the ground (like a bulette). Used as assassins by the Zhentarim. Sunlight hurts their eyes, they donít operate during daylight because of it. Dislike unfamiliar magic (leave magic items where they find them????)
Prince Azoun riding on the Way of the Dragon to Waymoot, chased by Groundlings sent from Darkhold.
Artus Cimber made a secret library on the second story of a ruined tavern in Suzail. He stole most of the books
Azoun lost his silver sword in a groundling burrow on the road to Waymoot from Suzail.
On Azounís wedding day his carriage went down the Promenade in Suzail
Artus Cimber taught to read by a priest of Oghma (without Scoril knowing) until his father found out and stopped it (by that time Artus could already read).
Artus rescues Prince Azoun from Groundlings. Shadowhawk claims all the glory (Artus lets him so he can escape being a bandit and instead be a bard or a scholar). The Crown does not discuss attempted assassinations as it upsets the common folk.
Darkhold tortures involve smiling screws and carrion worms.
King Rhigaerd suffers from a wasting sickness
Azounís son died last year, baby was 2 years old. The death of his son changed Azoun, made him more responsible.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5585 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2021 :  18:42:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bit of backstory to Artus here.

The novel mentions Prince Azoun is a bit older than the Shadowhawk, and in 1335 DR, Azoun would have been 28 so the Shadowhawk was 27/28 perhaps.

Artus is still a child, and has an older brother who has the strength of men twice his age (which as a statement makes me think Oric the elder brother is 15 because at 30 a man is in his prime and as strong as he is like to get), so i reckon Artus is between 10 and 12 (although i could probably fact check it from the Ring of Winter novel). Need to check if Artus being taught to read by an Oghmanite priest until his father found out fits with the Ring of Winter history.

The novel gives some insight to Prince Azoun, he uses the alias of Balin when he goes adventuring with the Kings Men adventuring band.

Groundlings are magically twisted dwarves created by the Zhents of Darkhold, and they sent a band to kill Azoun. I suspect Azoun would not be happy at this and the Zhents could expect reprisals for their actions.

One thing i noted during the assassination attempt that Artus foiled, Azoun lost his sword (impaled a groundling and stuck it fast into the ground). His sword was later drawn into a groundling burrow, and these creatures can burrow as fast as a man can swim. No idea how deep or how far the burrow stretched but they were there a good few hours digging that burrow so it could have been taken deep underground.

As far as i know the sword was not recovered in the novel and might remain there still. It would be buried on the road between Waymoot and Suzail at a junction to a hamlet called Irath, unless the crown had someone dig up half a square mile of road looking for it.
Vangerdahast probably has tracking magic on the sword, but unless he wants to teleport to a location underground (sounds dangerous, if he's a few feet off he materialises inside rock) to retrieve the blade, its probably still there (and only Artus and perhaps the Shadowhawk, would know about it).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2021 :  19:07:20  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could see that it would be merchants from Cormyr that founded Iriaebor. That also places the founding of Iriaebor after Cormyr was founded in 26 DR.

As for Everard's kingdom, how about that was the Talfirian kingdom that built Talis? It would also be that the Netherese that fled the pharimms were the "invaders from the North" and that places the destruction of Everard's kingdom in the early -400s DR. That puts the destruction of the kingdom "long before Cormyrians crossed the Sunset Mountains and founded the caravan cities of the Chionthar" (about 600 years for what I have come up with for Iriabor's founding).

I would also submit that Fendarl's Gate was built on the former location of Everard's castle/steading.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2021 :  19:19:27  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

A bit of backstory to Artus here.

The novel mentions Prince Azoun is a bit older than the Shadowhawk, and in 1335 DR, Azoun would have been 28 so the Shadowhawk was 27/28 perhaps.

Artus is still a child, and has an older brother who has the strength of men twice his age (which as a statement makes me think Oric the elder brother is 15 because at 30 a man is in his prime and as strong as he is like to get), so i reckon Artus is between 10 and 12 (although i could probably fact check it from the Ring of Winter novel). Need to check if Artus being taught to read by an Oghmanite priest until his father found out fits with the Ring of Winter history.

The novel gives some insight to Prince Azoun, he uses the alias of Balin when he goes adventuring with the Kings Men adventuring band.

Groundlings are magically twisted dwarves created by the Zhents of Darkhold, and they sent a band to kill Azoun. I suspect Azoun would not be happy at this and the Zhents could expect reprisals for their actions.

One thing i noted during the assassination attempt that Artus foiled, Azoun lost his sword (impaled a groundling and stuck it fast into the ground). His sword was later drawn into a groundling burrow, and these creatures can burrow as fast as a man can swim. No idea how deep or how far the burrow stretched but they were there a good few hours digging that burrow so it could have been taken deep underground.

As far as i know the sword was not recovered in the novel and might remain there still. It would be buried on the road between Waymoot and Suzail at a junction to a hamlet called Irath, unless the crown had someone dig up half a square mile of road looking for it.
Vangerdahast probably has tracking magic on the sword, but unless he wants to teleport to a location underground (sounds dangerous, if he's a few feet off he materialises inside rock) to retrieve the blade, its probably still there (and only Artus and perhaps the Shadowhawk, would know about it).

Ok, so, tying this into what we have before means that the Darkhold is very likely NOT using an apparatus from The Night Parade to make the groundlings. That means that it was very likely something about the Darkhold itself that allows these "mutations" since they had only been in the Darkhold for 23 years when the groundlings attacked Azoun. Probably an echo of the magic used to repair Varalla's phylactery.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5585 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2021 :  19:23:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds plausible enough, not looked at Iriaebor all that much but it sounds like it might work.

Interestingly enough i have a date of around 1020 DR where migrants from the TUnlands region move into Cormyr through the mountain passes and found Esparin.

I'm gonna assume the migration out of Cormyr was before that date and the migration back was just families returning home for some reason.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2021 :  19:31:37  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds plausible enough, not looked at Iriaebor all that much but it sounds like it might work.

Interestingly enough i have a date of around 1020 DR where migrants from the TUnlands region move into Cormyr through the mountain passes and found Esparin.

I'm gonna assume the migration out of Cormyr was before that date and the migration back was just families returning home for some reason.

That 1020 date makes sense. There was a Rage of Dragons in 1018. A dragon could have destroyed their town. They tried to fix it back but then just gave up and moved to Cormyr.

Edit: As for leaving Cormyr, So Sayeth Ed has this to say about the East Way:

Who built the East Way? When? Why does it go through Hullack Forest instead of skirting the edges? I presume the woods were as deadly back then as they are now?

The Forest was as deadly back then, but much larger (i.e. there was no skirting it except by climbing mountains; they filled that corner of Cormyr). The East Way took years to blaze and clear and expand, in stages, starting circa 176 DR or so (the Sembian end, from Yhaunn to Ordulin, was first, but not envisaged as a road linking with Cormyr). Woodcutters, sponsored by interests in Arabel that wanted their own supporting farms, started east from Arabel in 192 DR, and blazed a trail (a pack trail, not a wagon road) to the border by 198 DR. The rest came in fits and starts, mainly pushing east from Cormyr, over the next few decades. For a long time, it was a trail with fords, not a proper wagon road, and was perilous in the extreme (monsters used it as a banqueting table), so it was several centuries before it gained the name "the East Way" and had full coverage of waystop inns, stables, good bridges, and so on.

Based on that, I have Cormyr completing the road from Proskur to Easting in 495 DR. The very earliest that I could see the road going over the Thunder Peaks being constructed from Tyrluk to Proskur as around 374 DR. That would be why Lord Ashar thought it would be ok to just annex the Sword Coast for the Shoon Empire. He didn't know that there was a road that the King of Cormyr could use to get his troops into the Western Heartlands quickly and easliy. That would also be a good time for people to move out of Cormyr into the "frontierlands of Tun".

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 02 Mar 2021 19:52:53
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5585 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2021 :  19:50:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grandfathers Toys (1362 DR)
Jean Rabe
Galvin, druid, wheat coloured hair, muscular frame, green embroidered cloak, emerald eyes. Used to play with Drolloís grand children 3 decades ago, chasing them in the marketplace, they are a few years older than Galvin. Galvin regarded as a hero by the people near Drolloís tower.
Drollo, owns a tower in the Dragon Reach, has a weasel familiar named Elias that he sent to find Galvin. Stooped, hump, round shouldered, wispy grey hair. His great (or great great Ė he cant remember) granddaughter (5 years old, called Isabelle, named after her second wife) has gone missing in the tower 2-3 days ago. Second wife was called Isabelle. Drollo is an illusionist
Isaura, mother of the missing girl (Drolloís grand daughter), Isabelle
Crates of alguduire feathers, frangible
Drolloís tower has 8 levels, and more than 2 basement levels
Brass vase from Callidyrr
Gnomish vermin catcher, automaton, metallic scorpion like creature.
The Death Knell, a shallow point in the Sea of Fallen Stars (near the Dragon Reach), dangerous to deep hulled ships.
Mercea, a sea elf city a dozen miles out of the Dragon Reach

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5585 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2021 :  20:16:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found some words from Steven Schend about the Western Heartlands region of the Sword Coast.

He said that around the time of Ashar's invasion the region was wild but still had traders passing from Cormyr to Baldur's Gate. When Valashar was established they started imposing tariffs on the merchants and that prompted Cormyr's response to "free" the Sword Coast from Shoon tyranny (really they were pi**ed that someone was taxing their trade).

Not conclusive proof of the High Road existing at that point in time but it seems just as likely as crossing the Lake of Dragons by boat and then on foot (when one trade route is opened you can be damn sure alternatives will spring up pretty soon after).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2021 :  21:17:53  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It took Azoun 15 years to get cheesed enough to go do something about it? Maybe they didn't start taxing trade until the early 370s?

Also, is the Tun river navigable by ship for some distance inland from the Lake of Dragons? Maybe they were getting goods up that way until there was an earthquake or something that shut down that route and they HAD to build the road.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5585 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2021 :  21:32:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Curse of Tegea (1360 DR)
Troy Denning
Inn of the High Terrace, has a veranda. Myron Zenos the innkeep, brawny man, hairy as a bear, black eyes, huge nose, and a beard reaching his chest.
Adon, priest of Mystra
Corene, young woman, novice of the Church of Mystra. Golden hair, brown doe-like eyes, button nose, gleaming smile. Likes Arabel in Cormyr (from Arabel originally ????)
The village of Tegea is cursed. Located in the southern reaches of the Dragonjaw Mountains in Thesk. Surrounded by terraced groves of olive trees. Duke of Tegea dislikes all priests
Dragonjaw Mountains covered by cypress trees
Sarafina, Myronís daughter. Black hair, bountiful figure, skin the colour of ginger, brown almond shaped eyes. Wears a veil of course black wool to hide a disfigurement (veils are not common in Thesk)
Adon, Patriarch of the Church of Mysteries / Mystra. Handsome, cleft chin, red scar from left eye to jaw.
The Church of Mystra stopped growing in the last two years.
Mystra told Adon in a dream to lift the curse of Tegea.
Broka, handsome, striking features, high cheekbones, a dark brow, roguish mop of auburn hair hung to his collar. Trim and solid with broad shoulders. Seneschal to the Duke of Tegea
Lord Gorgias, Duke of Tegea cursed the village so all women are disfigured until Sarafina agrees to marry him. Hunched back, gnarled frame, thin bowed legs, one gaunt arm drags knuckles on the floor, other arm twisted and held to his chest. 7 ft tall. Haggard face, covered with cracked black skin, huge brow misshapen cheekbones, dagger like nose, pair of yellow tusks jut from his lower lip. Super fast and super strong
Adonís first spell cast at Broka failed.
Lord Gorgias was once handsome and nice, during ToT the olive trees became animated and attacked the villagers. Lord Gorgias came and cast a spell to calm them but it went wrong. A black fog descended on Tegea. The fog lasted until a month after the ToT, by then Lord Gorgias was twisted inside and out (still believes himself more handsome than ever). Lord Gorgias then cursed the gods and Tegea and cut Tegea off from the divine. Has a castle outside of the village
Was a temple of Chauntea in Tegea but they left when they could no longer commune with the goddess.
Adon trapped Lord Gorgias in a fragment of mirror enchanted with true seeing.
Castle Gorgias is to be turned into a temple to Mystra. Adon intends to stay in Tegea to help lift the veil that clouds Tegea.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 02 Mar 2021 21:33:12
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5585 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2021 :  21:43:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not much lore in the last two novelettes.

Grandfathers Toys was a missing person novel, showing off Galvin (from Red Magic) and his druid abilities as he tries to find a missing girl.
Not an excellent book, not filled with lore either, but going fairly well until it mentions a sea elf city of Mercia just off the Dragon Reach that make mechanical machines to harvest kelp etc. Why would a sea elf create a mechanical sea crab to harvest kelp when such a creature would operate poorly underwater (they'd be better off doing it themselves), and they build these sea crabs with controls inside and make them air tight (which would be mostly useless to aquatic elves).

The Curse of Tegea is very divine focused. A duke cast a spell in the time of troubles and was transformed into a hideous beast, he then cursed Tegea and cut it off from the gods.
However, Adon's spells work after a fashion so its not clear how the curse works. Spells work but talking to deities dont (and i hate talking to deities, especially when Adon claims Mystra told him that Midnight is just an avatar and is nothing more than a memory now).
I think i might make the curse just a wild magic area rather than a divine barrier, works better (even though Adon claims Mystra's clerics can cast spells in wild magic areas).
Lord GOrgias being trapped in a mirror fragment seems like a decent opportunity to introduce a nasty item with a fell sentience and a recurring villain if he ever escapes his imprisonment.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5585 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2021 :  21:47:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

It took Azoun 15 years to get cheesed enough to go do something about it? Maybe they didn't start taxing trade until the early 370s?

Also, is the Tun river navigable by ship for some distance inland from the Lake of Dragons? Maybe they were getting goods up that way until there was an earthquake or something that shut down that route and they HAD to build the road.

Welll, its a long way from the Western Heartlands to Cormyr, especially when that land was forested wilderness at the time.

I suspect he started hearing complaints from merchants within 2 years, then lots of complaints after. Conjuring an army and battle plan is not an easy or immediate thing so he spends the next few years finding out what this Valashar nation is, sends a few ambassadors to try and establish trade agreements. When they fail he begins making plans for war and moving troops into the region and establishing supply stations along the river Chionthar to get thousands of soldiers in place.
Then after 15 years he's ready for war and away we go. Yes its a long time, but a prudent ruler wouldnt go to war with an unknown nation on foreign soil a thousand miles from Cormyr without some serious planning.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5585 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2021 :  15:44:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dark Mirror (1357 DR)
R A Salvatore
Tharman, farmer near the River Surbrin south of Mithril Hall, 30+ years old
Rico Pengallen, smithy and warrior, of the village of Pengallen 15 miles south east of the River Surbrin. Prideful
Pengallen village, a cluster of a dozen one story farm houses surrounded by a wall. Pengallen has an inn run by the barkeep Aganis, a two story building against the village wall, also serves as trading post and other functions
Drizztís scimitar icingdeath glows a bluish white light only when the air is cold
Twinkle glows blue whenever danger is near
Nojheim, goblin, intelligent, enslaved to Rico, captured by orcs that raided Pengallen. Ultimately killed by Rico
Aganis, barrel shaped, thick bearded, oft smiling
Jak Timberline, older man, thinning grey hair, wizened face. Lives in Pengallen.
Pengallen is not an independent community, it comes under the protection and influence of nearby larger cities like Silverymoon and Mithril Hall
Silverymoon, the Moorgate on the western side of the city.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5585 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2021 :  15:52:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A short novelette by RAS appears to be a fight scene followed by some Twilight Movie level of brooding and soul searching.

Almost no lore to speak of.

Drizzt finds a good goblin, the goblin is a slave to humans, the goblin dies, drizzt has something else to add to his internal monologue.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2021 :  16:18:30  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A short novelette by RAS appears to be a fight scene followed by some Twilight Movie level of brooding and soul searching.

I was rereading something yesterday and I noticed that the good guy was getting all criticals. In a three on one battle, one enemy killed another with a critical miss that turned into a critical hit on another of the enemies. The good guy then killed each of the remaining enemies with a single thrust to the chest. I believe the levels were good guy level 7, bad guys were probably a level 5 leader and two level 3 soldiers. Nice thing is that the fight only took about a page and a half including dialog.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5585 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2021 :  16:23:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everything I've read in the drizzt and cadderley novels implies that every hit by the heroes is a maximum critical.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5585 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2021 :  16:51:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crypt of the Shadowking next, i've been looking forward to examining this one again with a far more critical eye

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5585 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2021 :  22:03:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crypt of the Shadowking is full of lore that i missed the first time round. Having just recently read the Kings Tear i believe that the Book of Shadows and the Book of Midnight might indeed be the same thing. The original copy was destroyed during a battle between mages, could Everard Farseer have been one of those.

Also the huge statues (30 ft tall) of a king and queen that Ravendas brought from the SUnset Mountains to FOuntain Square, i at first thought they were animated by Cyric's magic but i know think these statues were once guardians of Ebenfar (guarding the eastern border of his realm), and controlled by the dark steel amulet. The reason is snake had a dream about the shadowking sat upon a dark steel throne, too much coincidence.

I'm 60 pages in and have 6 pages of notes already.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2021 :  00:25:06  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am interested in seeing what you pick out. I have found lots of contradictory stuff in there.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6191 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2021 :  00:39:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not much lore in the last two novelettes.

Grandfathers Toys was a missing person novel, showing off Galvin (from Red Magic) and his druid abilities as he tries to find a missing girl.
Not an excellent book, not filled with lore either, but going fairly well until it mentions a sea elf city of Mercia just off the Dragon Reach that make mechanical machines to harvest kelp etc. Why would a sea elf create a mechanical sea crab to harvest kelp when such a creature would operate poorly underwater (they'd be better off doing it themselves), and they build these sea crabs with controls inside and make them air tight (which would be mostly useless to aquatic elves).

The Curse of Tegea is very divine focused. A duke cast a spell in the time of troubles and was transformed into a hideous beast, he then cursed Tegea and cut it off from the gods.
However, Adon's spells work after a fashion so its not clear how the curse works. Spells work but talking to deities dont (and i hate talking to deities, especially when Adon claims Mystra told him that Midnight is just an avatar and is nothing more than a memory now).
I think i might make the curse just a wild magic area rather than a divine barrier, works better (even though Adon claims Mystra's clerics can cast spells in wild magic areas).
Lord GOrgias being trapped in a mirror fragment seems like a decent opportunity to introduce a nasty item with a fell sentience and a recurring villain if he ever escapes his imprisonment.

It's a massive magical undertaking to bar any sort of magic from operating in an area. I think you have it right in that there are leftovers from the ToT floating through Tegea in the form of random wild/dead magic zones. It's got nothing to do with the Duke, but he thinks his "curse" caused it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6191 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2021 :  00:57:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, it's a long way from the Western Heartlands to Cormyr, especially when that land was forested wilderness at the time.

It's not. It's just still in a recovery phase following the fall of Ebenfar. There are just no big realms controlling the area; it's small farms, agricultural collectives (villages), outlaw holds, petty lordlings (most of whom are little better than bandits themselves) and a few settlements that have pretensions about being "cities". But river and caravan trade continues and with Ebenfar gone, the "floodgates" open and trade increases significantly over the decades. It's that trade that both Ashar and Azoun want to control/protect and brings them into conflict.

And in trying to follow your thread, I can't work out what the "15 years" reference is to. Care to illuminate me?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2021 :  01:19:48  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Valashar was founded in 361 DR. Azoun and his army fought them in 376 DR. It was in response to me saying it took 15 years before Azoun got angry enough to do something about Valashar taxing merchants.

Edit: Oh, and if the history of the Darkhold as delineated in the Secrets of the Darkhold DMs Guild product is accurate (Ed was listed as being involved in that product so it is possible it could be canon), there was a Giant Emperor in the Darkhold up until around 400 DR. That could be a significant power in the area.

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 05 Mar 2021 01:43:40
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6191 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2021 :  03:22:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Valashar was founded in 361 DR. Azoun and his army fought them in 376 DR. It was in response to me saying it took 15 years before Azoun got angry enough to do something about Valashar taxing merchants.

Edit: Oh, and if the history of the Darkhold as delineated in the Secrets of the Darkhold DMs Guild product is accurate (Ed was listed as being involved in that product so it is possible it could be canon), there was a Giant Emperor in the Darkhold up until around 400 DR. That could be a significant power in the area.

Valashar was founded in 321 DR.

And Ed provided the Pereghost backstory and advice re the geography of the region to the developers of that product, not the history part.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 05 Mar 2021 03:25:04
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5585 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2021 :  09:35:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah i was just going by Iriaeban's dates, not bothered to look anything up yet regarding the area.

Quite a lot more to extrapolate about Ebenfar in this novel than i noticed during my first read.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2021 :  15:20:13  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Valashar was founded in 321 DR.

And Ed provided the Pereghost backstory and advice re the geography of the region to the developers of that product, not the history part.

-- George Krashos

So, the notes in the FR Wiki, which specifically mentions you, is incorrect? https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Valashar_(kingdom)

And THANK YOU for that clarification.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2021 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000