Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Novel Lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 38

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2020 :  15:01:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Back to some novels, reading In Sylvan Shadows.

True to RAS books the first quarter has some lore. Its said that when the elves arrived in Shilmista they began creating defences, which implies they were running from something. Its also implied that they gain power from the forest itself and that they could call the trees to fight for them.

One thing i have noticed is that Elbereth (terrible name steal from Middle Earth), Danica, Pikel, and Ivan are all psychopaths, and Cadderley is becoming one. They mercilessly slaughter enemies, aiming to kill every time (studies have shown that in war less than 1% of individuals aim to kill - they all exhibit psychopathic tendencies - the rest try to wound or just defend themselves. Of the 1% that aim to kill, half are true psychopaths that do it for the rush or fun, the other half do it to protect their friends). Danica, Elbereth, Ivan, and Pikel seem to be true psychopaths that enjoy murdering intelligent creatures, often going out of their way to murder others even if they are defenceless.

I was wondering if there are a higher proportion of psychopaths in Toril due to its high magical field but then i thought that the adventuring lifestyle is likely to attract psychopaths and the most psychopathic are the ones most likely to survive. This explains why adventurers are depicted as murderhobos, because they are.

Under this definition, every player I've ever had has been a psychopath.... I don't think its a good interpretation. Nor have I ever read many novels that don't have the characters "aiming to kill".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2020 :  18:35:49  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True to RAS books the first quarter has some lore. Its said that when the elves arrived in Shilmista they began creating defences, which implies they were running from something. Its also implied that they gain power from the forest itself and that they could call the trees to fight for them.

One thing i have noticed is that Elbereth (terrible name steal from Middle Earth), Danica, Pikel, and Ivan are all psychopaths, and Cadderley is becoming one. They mercilessly slaughter enemies, aiming to kill every time (studies have shown that in war less than 1% of individuals aim to kill - they all exhibit psychopathic tendencies - the rest try to wound or just defend themselves. Of the 1% that aim to kill, half are true psychopaths that do it for the rush or fun, the other half do it to protect their friends). Danica, Elbereth, Ivan, and Pikel seem to be true psychopaths that enjoy murdering intelligent creatures, often going out of their way to murder others even if they are defenceless.

I was wondering if there are a higher proportion of psychopaths in Toril due to its high magical field but then i thought that the adventuring lifestyle is likely to attract psychopaths and the most psychopathic are the ones most likely to survive. This explains why adventurers are depicted as murderhobos, because they are.

Modern warfare doctrine (at least what I was taught 40 years ago) is to wound the enemy on the battlefield and not necessarily kill him. This is so that the enemy will have to devote resources to the evacuation and medical treatment of the wounded soldier. Given a medieval society, only the rich will get any kind of treatment because their retainers will see to that.

In the realms, combat would seem to be no quarter asked/no quarter given. In that case, every fight is to the death and considering the lack of wanting to waste your medical supplies on an enemy (in case you need them later), performing a coup de gras on a wounded enemy may actually be considered being kind.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2020 :  18:45:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

Modern warfare doctrine (at least what I was taught 40 years ago) is to wound the enemy on the battlefield and not necessarily kill him. This is so that the enemy will have to devote resources to the evacuation and medical treatment of the wounded soldier. Given a medieval society, only the rich will get any kind of treatment because their retainers will see to that.

In the realms, combat would seem to be no quarter asked/no quarter given. In that case, every fight is to the death and considering the lack of wanting to waste your medical supplies on an enemy (in case you need them later), performing a coup de gras on a wounded enemy may actually be considered being kind.

Not only that, but if someone's trying to kill you, trying to kill them back is usually easier and quicker than trying to incapacitate them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2020 :  19:00:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will grant that in self defence most people will defend themselves and kill the attacker if necessary.

But in these novels the "heroes" are seeking out conflict and killing people when they dont have to. Its mentioned several times in places that they could avoid conflict but Danica and Elbereth choose to kill enemies that are unaware.

Modern warfare may promote wounding but these are studies of world wars that found that in places of verified kills the kills were focused to a few individuals (all other deaths were wild fire incidents). These individuals exhibited psychopathic traits and when studied half were found to be genuinely psychopathic while the other half felt they were protecting their friends.

Adventurers seek out conflict and slay indiscriminately, using perceptions of good and evil to justify it.

Cadderley shows remorse for his actions as would be expected from a normal individual, but Danica in particular feels nothing or claims it was self defence (despite initiating the combat most times and always striking first and lethally).

Being unable to identify with the victim is a big warning sign.

Maybe dungeons and dragons unleashes our inner psycho.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2020 :  19:17:14  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I don't think anyone really plays their D&D games "shoot to wound" as a default (though in plenty of cases it would make sense).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2020 :  21:29:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Sylvan Shadows (1361 DR)

Other Lore
Talona, the Lady of Poison, a known deity of chaos [prologue]
Talona’s priests often scar themselves [prologue]
Talona’s holy symbol, a triangular arrangement of 3 tear drops [prologue]
Barjin’s symbol was a trident with small vials at each point [prologue]
Bugbears marauding in the elven wood bearing a symbol matching Barjin’s [prologue]
Edificant Library was a fortress, never been threatened in modern times (except for Barjin’s attack) [prologue]
Castle Trinity home to a renegade sect of Talona [2]
Ragnor and Galladel slain during battle in Shilmista

Shilmista Lore
Prince Elbereth of Shilmista, a respect elf lord visiting Edificant Library. Tall, raven black hair, silver eyes. Wears gold and silver chain shirt. Galladel is his father. Magical sword glows with a bluish flame in battle. Carries a fine shield. [prologue, 2, 5]
Temmerisa, Elbereth’s white stallion horse.[3]
Rolling hills region of Shilmista known as The Dells [1]
Shayleigh, elf maiden, violet eyes, golden hair, wields a fine sword. Planned the defence of Shilmista against the goblinoid army. Commander of Shilmista’s army. Between 200-300 years old. [1,4,7]
100 elven archers, great longbows, commanded by Shayleigh [1]
Galladel, king of Shilmista. Regarded as ancient by the headmasters of the Edificant Library. Father of Elbereth. Many centuries old, with thick raven black hair. Has shaking hands he tries to conceal from others. Descendant of Dellanil Quil’quien. Has fought several wars during his reign. Galladel has lived in Shilmista since before the Edificant Library was created.[1,2,4,17]
Ogres, orogs, orcs, goblins, bugbears and giants attack Shilmista from the north, led by Ragnor of Castle Trinity. The army burned 100 sq miles of the northern part of the forest. [1,3,5]
Tintagel, elf wizard [1]
4 elven wizards (one of which is Tintagel [1]
Cellanie, inexperienced young elf, slain by bugbear [1]
The elves of Shilmista are increasingly isolationist and xenophobic, tanned skin.[3]
Hammadeen the drya, knows Shayleigh.[4]
Dellanil Quil'quien, ancient hero and king of Shilmista, is said to have fought alongside the trees of Shilmista.[4]
Daoine Dun, the Hill of the Stars, filled with caves, a place of power and importance to the elves.[4]
Shilmista elves power grows the closer to the forest centre.[4]
Less than 7 score (140) adult elves in Shilmista. 2 centuries ago there were more than a thousand (many had gone to Evermeet) [4,7]
Shilmista was a long forest, 150 miles from north to south. The elves live in the centre of the forest.[5]
Daoine Teague Feer, the Star Enchantment, an ancient dance may only be begun by a member of the royal family. Contains the Song of Shilmista, a bowl filled with Stardust, a dance lasting over an hour then the Stardust is scattered over each person. The ritual revitalizes, cleanses, and heals everyone involved.[7,9]
The first elf walked into Shilmista many centuries ago, they have prepared defences ever since.
Ralmarith, elf in Shilmista, archer, slain during attack by Ragnor’s troops
In elder times the elves of Shilmista could call the trees of the wood to fight for them. By the time Galladel was young the trees had stopped answering the call of the elves.[9]
Book of Dellanil Quil'quien, writing in a script no longer used by the elves of Shilmista so they cannot read it. Contains an account of how Dellanil awakened the trees of Shilmista and together they crushed an invading force of goblins[14, 17]
Syldritch Trea, “Most Ancient Trees”, a grove filled with oaks from the time of Dellanil, they possess a sentience.[18,19]
Elbereth, son of Galladel, son of Gil-Telleman, son of Dellanil Quil’quien[20]
“Fete”, elvish word for fire.[21]

Edificant Library
Headmaster Avery Schell, obese after becoming a glutton during the chaos curse (very rotund before that). Met Prince Elbereth 3 decades ago [2,3]
Dean Thobicus [2]
Headmistress Pertelope, neatly groomed, greying hair, hazel eyes, wistful, irreverent, more concerned with common sense than rules. Wears a full length gown clasped tightly at the neck since the chaos curse. Chosen of Deneir. Unable to cast the simplest of spells.[2]
Cadderly, grey eyes, sandy brown unkempt locks. [2]
The library has often sought the wisdom of ancient King Galladel of Shilmista [2]
An emissary from the Church of Ilmater is coming to investigate the deaths of priest during the chaos curse.[2]
Deneir and Oghma, host religions of the Edificant Library [2]
Tome of Universal Harmony, the most holy book of Deneir [2]
Great Hall on the first floor, huge ornate, with thick pillars, covered in tapestries depicting the glories of Deneir and Oghma.[2]

Castle Trinity
Hidden on the northern slopes of the Snowflake Mountains that had survived unmolested for several years. Tunnel and chamber complex lies under the mountains. Resembles a natural stone outcropping from outside. [3]
Dorigen Kel Lamond, second wizard of Castle Trinity, former lover of Aballister. Fair, plain features, small amber eyes, broken nose. Owns an gold ring set with onyx (with an elven trigger word “Fete”) that can unleash fiery magic. Broke off her relationship with Aballister after the Arrival (the time Aballister met Talona during the Time of Troubles). Wears a signet ring with the symbol of renegade Talona sect. Wears a gold ring set with diamonds. Carries a slender wand. [3,12,21]
Aballister Bonaduc, body now weakened and shriveled, hollow face, sunken eyes, traded physical strength for magical power. Became a megalomaniac after meeting Talona during Time of Troubles [3]
Bogo Rath, third and least adept wizard of Castle Trinity, has connections among the Night Masks of Westgate [3, Epilogue]
Druzil, imp, familiar of Aballister [3]
Tiennek, barbarian of the White Worm tribe from Vaasa, nearly 7 ft tall, well muscled, wears fine silk clothes. Thick blond hair braided down over his shoulders. Pale blue eyes, bronze skin. Polar worm (Remorhaz) tattooed on his forehead. Taken by Dorigen, kept as a pet.[3]
Ragnor commands 5000 (5000 goblinoids and orcs and giants from the mountians), Aballister commands 3000 (soldiers)[3]
Ragnor, 7 ft tall, a single tusk just from his lower jaw, hugely muscled. Commands the armies of Castle Trinity. Has a secret stilleto hidden in the hilt of his huge broadsword.[5,15]
Felkin and Rake, goblins in service to Ragnor, attacked Shilmista [4]
Molargro, orog watch chief in Ragnor’s army [13]

Vaasa Lore
Tribe of the White Worm, elite warriors known as Kura-winthur (have to kill a remorhaz singlehanded to join and get the tattoo on your head)[12]

Carradoon Lore
Brennan, son of the innkeeper of the Dragon’s Codpiece inn [Epilogue]

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2020 :  08:35:43  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe dungeons and dragons unleashes our inner psycho.

Lol, yeah, don't forget the devil worship and sorcery
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2020 :  08:47:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Night Parade up next, it's off to a good start. Apparently Myrmeen was involved in the battle for Evermeet, which happened between 1345 and 1351, I'm not sure what battle it is referring to.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2020 :  21:48:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loving this book, i'm halfway through on page count and like the other realms novels i've enjoyed each chapter is introducing new pieces of the puzzle.
I've learned bits about Myrmeen's past, i've now got a whole page on her backstory.
There is now a new character Erin Shandower and a revelation about the "festivals" in Calimshan every 20 years which are disguised with fake disasters that are inserted into the dreams of victims.
Erin Shandower supposedly gained the finance needed to rebuild parts of Calimport in the wake of one of these festivals which begs several questions. I'm only halfway through but the way the story has progressed i'm half expecting it to be over in the next 30 pages as its already built to a climax.

Do the festival / disasters get inserted into everyones dream / memories in a large surface area. Do the Night Parade also cause real damage to mask the dream disaster or do they use their other talents to make these disasters real (its implied they are not real). Could we use these fake disasters alongside real disasters that have affected Calimport and other cities in Calimshan to pinpoint festivals in the past.

Did Erin really refinance the rebuilding of Calimport after a disaster or did he try and rebuild these areas to stop the Night Parade infesting ruined and abandoned areas, but in so doing he appeared to provide legitimacy to the disaster (the rest of the populace thinking you wouldnt need to rebuild unless there was an actual disaster).

Another thing i'm really liking about this novel is that the heroes aren't unstoppable killing machines rising to the top and slaughtering anything that gets in their way no matter how great the foe. These guys are barely surviving by the skin of their teeth each time, they are all competent fighters, but against the supernatural monsters they are sorely outclassed and are still alive mostly thanks to luck or the timely assistance or sacrifice of their allies, and they make mistakes as often as they succeed. Its very refreshing from the one shot kill brigade in Drizzt or Cadderly novels. Even better is that the fights, while sometimes lengthy, dont take up the majority of the novel, and arent necessarily centred on the fighting itself, but what is happening around them and what they are feeling at the time (Rather than monky sue ricocheting from giant to giant like a killer bunny from the Monty Python films).

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 18 Dec 2020 22:02:42
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2020 :  09:17:25  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Night Parade up next, it's off to a good start. Apparently Myrmeen was involved in the battle for Evermeet, which happened between 1345 and 1351, I'm not sure what battle it is referring to.

Haven't checked my sources but isn't this battle for Evermeet the one involving Nimesin's attempted coup?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2020 :  09:25:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's possible, but reading in publication order i dont think that book has been written yet. Unless they somehow knew what was going to be written in advance it seems odd for the author to include it.

I'll have to see if the timelines match up when I get to that book

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  08:39:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Night Parade (1359 DR)

Myrmeen Lhal Lore
34 years old, ruler of the 2nd largest city in Arabel [1]
Tall, beautiful, dark haired [1]
Was a ranger under Harper’s direct supervision a decade ago [1]
Owns a jewel encrusted sword, ceremonial armour embedded with a host of red gems, a silver headdress modeled after the legendary phoenix [1]
First heard of the Night Parade when she was 6 [1]
Myrmeen was in Calimport 14 years ago, she was pregnant with Dak’s child. Dak sold the child to a man named Kracauer (of the Night Parade) to pay off a debt. The delivery was difficult, Myrmeen cannot have anymore children [1]
Often goes into Arabel without her royal bodyguards.[1]
Myrmeen has ruled Arabel for the past 8 years [1]
Has an amulet (made by an acquaintance and lover) that allows the wearer to assume her image. Gave it to a serving maid during her absence [1]
Myrmeen never officially joined the Harpers [1]
Myrmeen fought in the battle for Evermeet (what battle???) [2]
Myrmeen’s second husband was Haverstrom Lhal, ruler of Arabel, a good man but he catered to the needs of the rich. He went off with other leaders of Arabel to investigate rumours of an object that would end human dominance on Toril that leaders of other races were searching for (Ring of Winter perhaps???Eldreth Veluuthra???). His party was ambushed and he was decapitated. Myrmeen Lhal was left in charge (and had shared in ruling before that) and has been lord ever since.[3]
Has scars on her back [4]
Myrmeen spent her youth in Calimport living on an estate (the Tower Arms, a former inn???) abandoned (abandoned by the rich family that built it) to the poor undesirables as they moved into the area
Her father played a lute on the streets of Calimport when she was young.[1]
Myrmeen’s father was from Cape Velen in Tethyr, he was a musician and murdered by a rich patron who disliked the music he played at a private playing. The servants threw the body into the streets and claimed thieves killed him before he arrived at the palace (was the rich man a relative of the Pasha???).
Myrmeen got revenge for her father’s death, her actions gained her the attention and then the assistance of the Harpers in this revenge. Burke had been one of her first teachers
Myrmeen’s scars, there were battles with the Black Robes, the Zhentarim, she was certain. Others had come from the raking talons of ores and hobgoblins. A fall from a great height, bucked from an evil dragon, accounted for another scar, and the fiery bolts of a clan of wizards, yet another. At least one, she was certain, had come from the hand of an over-enthusiastic lover. [15]
Myrmeen’s parents sold Tamara (who was sickly and dying) to slavers (who gave her to the Night Parade). Tamara was transformed into Night Parade and given to her monster parents (who died later). Tamara tracked down her real parents and lived in the ruins of their home. Tamara bought Myrmeen’s baby and was going to turn her into Night Parade but instead sold her to one of the Council of Mages in Suldolphur, she is now a princess of Suldolphur [22]
Myrmeen became a Harper at Berdusk Hall [Epilogue]

Arabel Lore
Evon Stralana, Arabel minister for defence, lean, pale skin, dark hair [1]
Black Mask Tavern [1]
Dak, dirty, hairy, smelly, 6 and a half feet tall, gaunt, bloodshot eyes, handsome, jade green eyes, soft black hair, strong chiseled features. Used to be in a relationship with Myrmeen [1]
Beggar’s Field, a place where poor people are buried [1]
Hungry Man Inn, run by an old woman named Zehla, Myrmeen and Zehla had become friends over the past 2 years [1]
Arabel was ruled by anarchy before Myrmeen took control (according to Myrmeen) [1]
Myrmeen leaves Elyn in charge while she goes to Calimport in search of her daughter [1]

Calimport Lore
14 years ago there was a great storm in Calimport (1344 DR). Storms are rare in Calimport, everyone remembers the great storm. The Great Storm was a fake implanted in the memories of victims. [1,3,9]
Two Headed Mare, a tavern with dark gambling rooms, favoured by Calimport’s criminals. Named because the owner’s mare grew two heads during the Time of Troubles and a rich man in Calimport bought the horse for an exhorbitant sum of money. The man used his newfound riches to buy the tavern (his daughter liked the horse so he named the tavern after it to appease her). Owned by Andros (who has a temper) and his wife Hilya. [2]
In many parts of the city mounts are reserved for guardsmen and commercial carriages. Horses often panic in the congested streets and can damage trade and tourism. Anything bad for business is banned in Calimport [2]
Martyn Johannas, Ivan Nehlridge, and Kracauer gathered the many children orphaned in the great storm and sold them to “the nightmare people” (the Night Parade). Kracauer gathered the childrn, Nehlridge dealt with the transportation, Johannas dealt with the money [3,4]
Kracauer worked out of a warehouse in the poor quarter (slain by a dagger) [3]
Ivan Nehlridge operates out of a boat in the bay (burned by the Night Parade with him on board) [4]
Martyn Johannas works as a clerk in a currency exchange in the financial district between the Temple of the Sun and the House of the Griffon, he specialises in illegal exchanges involving stolen or counterfeit currency. [4]
Temple of the Sun, made of glass, in the financial district near to the House of the Griffon [4]
House of the Griffon, entrance has two large stone griffons on either side [4]
Many temples in the financial district [5]
Gentleman’s Hall, the most disreputable house of criminals in Calimport. Pieraccinni is in charge. The hall is warded by magic that reflects it back on the caster (added by Lord Sixx to help Pieraccinni survive). Alden McGregor the doorman, young golden haired, soft green eyes, and a rakish smile, accomplished thief, eats regularly at Heaven’s Lathe (flirts with one of the serving maids). Alden is a son of Dymas (now returned from exile) and secretly one of the Night Parade (even Alden didn’t known he was one), turns into a feral wolf like monster, later slain by Dymas during the Festival of Renewal. The hall has gambling rooms, musicians, poets, male and female escorts [5]
Pieraccinni “the merchant of arms and men” is a hulking man, with bold strong features (not handsome), strong but muscles not well defined, suffers from a disease of the mind that prevents him from leaving his room (really he is a Night Parade and hates the light). Pieraccinni is a Night Parade able to cloak himself in illusion, has dark blue skin but like a jellyfish in human shape. He absorbs magic, but too much is dangerous. Gentleman’s Hall reduces the ambient magic and helps him survive. Pieraccinni is the portal to the Nightmare Plane, given flesh and personality, slain (closed) when the apparatus was thrown into it. [5,9,23]
Marishan, works for Pieraccinni as a doorman
Knight’s Kitchen, a small eatery [7]
Tower Arms, Myrmeens childhood home [9]
Calimport severely restricts the sale of guns [11]
Caleb Sharr, local shopkeep, kind to Krystin (and other orphans???), owns a shop on Heridon Way [11]
Malach Byrne was a builder, made his fortune rebuilding portions of Calimport after the Great Storm. Good man, vain, lost his hair and wore a wig. He died a year ago, his daughter Melaine was never found [11]
The Bloodstained Sword, an inn [12]
Heaven’s Lathe, largest outdoor eatery in Calimport, a series of tents for customers. Specialises in exotic dishes. [13]
Officials impose a tariff on healers [14]
Pasha Rashid Djenispool ruler of Calimport [20]
Vizier Punjor Djenispool, son of Rashid Djenispool, handsome man in his 30s [20]
The Plaza of Divine Truth, an open air temple dedicated to Bhaelros. Walls 4 ft thick surround the plaza, wrought iron gates cover the entrance. Made up of three interlocking square courtyards. Each wall lined by 8 sculptures / shrines. The third and final courtyard is known as the Chosen Plaza and features an idol of Bhaelros [21]
Temple / Shrine to Sharess, goddess of lust, free love and sensual fulfilment on the docks / waterfront overlooking the Shining Sea. Elegant design with dark marble columns, jutting spires, and crystalline statues. Spacious veranda outside the main doors. [22]
Kohrin Dahr, young actress working evening plays [22]

Harper Lore
Burke, bearded man, pale blue eyes, wears black armour with red trim and a red cape, strongly built warrior. Slain by the Night Parade [1,5,8]
Varina, lithe blonde woman, wife of Burke, wears black armour with red trim. Hidden blades in her gloves. Slain by the Night Parade [1,4,8]
Reisz Roudabush, man, early 40s, tightly curled salt and pepper hair, dark eyes, skin deeply scarred by a childhood disease. Attractive despite scarring. Loved Myrmeen, but she did not love him. Got married when Myrmeen left but he did not love his wife and she left him. Has seen much death and brutality [1,5]
Elyn, tall attractive woman who could have been Myrmeen’s sister [1]
Myrmeen Lhal adventured with Burke, Varina, Reisz, Elyn, Morlan, and 5 others when she was younger (a ranger under Harper supervision). Morlan is dead, slain by a rival wizard (his death has been avenged). The other 4 Harper adventurers are all prosperous and retired.[1]
Ord, young brown haired man, new to the group (unknown to Myrmeen). Burke and Varina act as his surrogate parents. Slain by Dymas [1,8,21]
When they arrived in Calimport they spent the first day hiding caches of gold and weapons all around the city (is this normal Harper practice???) [2]
Lucius Cardoc, mage, tall, dark, mid forties, rich brown eyes, sharp features, full brown hair. Agrees to help Myrmeen and the Harpers find her daughter. Saw Myrmeen fight in the battle for Evermeet. Has a daughter (about 14 years old) and a son (much younger). Slain by Lord Sixx. [2,11,19]

Night Parade Lore
Used as a story in Calimport to explain where little children go when they die, to sing and dance forever with the Night Parade [1]
Imperator Zeal, tightly curled fiery hair, hot to the touch, covered in sweat, wears a loose fitting white gown, bare feet, uses fire to kill. The first of the Inextinguishables, the only one powerful enough to kill Lord Sixx. Ten years older than Tamara [4,22]
Roderik, manipulates shadows to kill people, one of the Inextinguishables [4]
Callistraeon, his touch dissolves flesh and armour, blonde hair, one of the Inextinguishables [4]
Tamara the Weaver, Zeal’s wife, lithe woman, creamy skin, long black hair, dark eyes flecked with crimson, small bust, generous hips, long legs. A widow (married to the former leader of the Night Parade slain by Lord Sixx???). True form is a human insect monstrosity with a poison bite that incapacitates instantly. Myrmeen’s sister. [4,13,19]
They can travel through shadows [4]
Lord Sixx commands Imperator Zeal and all the Night Parade. Tall man with a black widows peak, angular features, a trim athletic body. Dressed in black leather and grey steel. Has clusters of six eyes on his head, arms, legs, torso. Can compel the Night Parade to obey him and see through illusions. Came to rule the Night Parade less than 10 years ago by slaying his predecessor. Lord Sixx can steal people’s dreams and information while they sleep, he can implant nightmares, he can make people see him as a normal human. Belief in his power makes him strong. Lord Sixx stole the many eyes that cover his body from his father. Possesses the Eyes of Domination, a twin set of jade green eyes on his neck (allow the bearer to enslave the will of others). Can reanimate the dead, prevent the soul from leaving [4,9,13,19,22]
The Inextinguishables are the elite killers of the Night Parade, with powers that make them hardy and lethal [4]
The Night Parade are commanded to avoid direct confrontations and not draw attention to themselves (leave no trace) [4]
Most Night Parade are as vulnerable as humans, can be slain with a simple dagger [4]
Crolus, grey eyed man able to control arachnids tortured an old man with a fear of cockroaches, invading his dreams for weeks then making them come true. Infiltrated the Black Scourge. Slain by a man with a gauntlet enchanted with the energies of the Apparatus [7]
Zandler, bearded man able to quickly heal wounds (even a caved in skull and hacked apart body), climbed a cliff face using his hands to dig into the rock. Can control or call storms and survive lightning strikes. Infiltrated the Black Scourge. Slain by a man with a gauntlet enchanted with the energies of the Apparatus [7]
The Apparatus, generates bluish white energy laced with crackling strands of green flame. Can be used to charge items with its power. Can kill members of the Night Parade. Is used by the Night Parade to change human children into Night Parade. Creates a huge many levelled open air building that constantly changes in shape and form, opens a portal to another place (of entropy) with a huge eye (some dark god???). [7,22,23]
Night Parade are immortal [7]
A group of hunters are killing members of the Night Parade, have been for 2 years. [7]
6000 Night Parade members in Calimport alone [7]
Night Parade despise moving in the daylight
Night Parade lair was established in Myrmeen’s old house
Pale man with power to transmute matter into anything (rock to liquid or steel, skin to porcelain or ivory, slain by Erin Shandower.
Want to hold Festival of Renewal, during this time they force people to dream about a huge disaster; plague, storm, etc. They kidnap every child born on the night of this festival [9,20]
The Night Parade use the Apparatus to bring about their Festival of Renewal [9,20]
Inhuman looking Night Parade are transported between cities in the hold of ships of a corrupt merchant company (local to Calimshan???), they eat the crew at the destination [11]
Vizier Bellophat organises transportation of Night Parade. Can play music that lulls humans into sleep, appears as a huge mass of flesh that can manifest instruments from his body [11,20]
Hunters, teenagers that locate vulnerable children for the Night Parade to kidnap. [11]
Lord Sixx unified the Night Parade, made them all work towards the good of the Night Parade. Allowing more and more of them to come to Faerun (from the Nightmare Plane???)
Have members infiltrating the local militia [14]
Magistrate Dymas, Lord of the Dance, moves with the speed of the wind, exiled because he slew one of the Night Parade and claimed they were plotting to kill Lord Sixx(exiled to a frozen hell, where???) and returned to raise Alden when he discovered he was Night Parade. His dance hypnotizes all who see it. Looks like a flayed man, turned inside out and stitched back together. [15,20,22]
Night Parade feed on fear, pain, pleasure, (feelings, emotions???) [19,22]
Night Parade have members in the Zhentarim (is this a lie???) [19]
Not all members of the Night Parade are from Toril [19]
Alden slowly underwent a transformation from human form to a wolf man like Night Parade [19]
The Nightmare Plane where the Night Parade lived, the food they ate ran out, there was a war, energy was released and tore a hole in the Nightmare Plane, opening up gateways to other worlds. Many left the Nightmare Plane and the “new order” which would have made them less hunter. They live in secret on the new worlds, their numbers growing.[20]
The Draw favours some in infancy (what does this mean???) [22]
Hooded women in black robes look after the children kidnapped by the Night Parade. Withered skin stretched over their skulls, each woman elderly and identical (Madame Childress???). A long slash of crimson on the robe denotes the leader [22]
Night Parade cannot procreate on the Material Plane [22]
Dark gods of the Night Parade’s world [22]

Calim Desert Lore
Few significant landmarks [6]
Cyric’s Hammer, a significant landmark in the Calim Desert, a towering spire of rock 500 ft tall, with one safe path from its base to the flat head. Legends say a hundred men perished trying to make a safe route to the top. Cyric’s Hammer was given its name by a wandering sage that pronounced the rock cursed by the god of misery and death. From the top one can see the main trade route between Calimport and Memnon. [6]
Black Scourge, a highly successful band of desert raiders, led by Djimon, gained greater notoriety due to Djimon’s exploits. The raiders have archers, thieves, killers, and magical items (cloak of levitation).[6]
Djimon is a short, powerfully built man with brown hair and soft blue eyes (unusual among his culture), bastard, abandoned as a child because of his impure blood. Known as “godslayer” because he slew a man claiming to be the avatar of Malar who was randomly attacking the trade routes (the man was an insane wizard with delusions of grandeur. Djimon scaled Cyric’s Hammer alone and with ease. Slain by Myrmeen and the Harpers. [6]
Jurgon Rutsche, second in command of the Black Scourge, tall, swarthy skinned. [6]
The Dead Run, heads east out of Calimport along the coast and up the Calim River, used by traders to make time and avoid the blistering desert north of Calimport. Its hazardous and changed during the Time of Troubles (sinkholes suddenly appear) [15]

Krystin Lore
Krystin, girl, 14, brunette, trim, athletic, blue eyes with slivers of gold, strong high cheekbones, full red lips, spirited. Taken by Djimon to be sold to traders, but rescued by Myrmeen (Pieraccinni told her Krystin’s location). The Black Scourge desert raiders came and took her a month ago. [6,7,11]
Her name was Krystin Devlaine. She had never been a hunter for the Night Parade. In fact, she had never known that such creatures existed outside of tales she had heard in harsh whispers at the boarding school where she had been sent by her parents. Those stories were generally used to frighten the younger children who believed in all manner of haunts and demons who knew their names and would come for them if they misbehaved. The kindly old man she had glimpsed had been her grandfather, who had died several years ago. He had lived in Calimport and had visited her much more frequently than her own mother and father, who were restless travelers and explorers. They had relegated the task of raising Krystin to others for most of her life. The vulgar, dark-haired man with rotted teeth, who had tried to club her with a shattered table leg, had been a nameless drunk in a tavern. She had crept away from the school and had been trapped in the bar when a brawl erupted. Physical fitness had been stressed at the school, and she had been an especially apt pupil during the lessons on self-defense. Those hours of instruction had benefited her that night. She had crushed the man's instep, left him howling in pain, and ran from the tavern with a strange girl she had met, a homeless child. Melaine. That night had been her only true evening of adventure until she was snatched by the Night Parade. The false memories Sixx had implanted had given her a sense of bravado that had accounted for her unbearable ego, her prickly nature, and her caustic tongue. They also had made her so much like Myrmeen that it was not surprising that there had been tension between them from the outset. Sixx also had briefly tasted Myrmeen's memories on one of the woman's first nights in the city. It had been after Myrmeen's narrow escape from death at Kracauer's "orphanage." Sixx had been disgusted with Zeal's decision to leave the humans alive, and so he had gone to Myrmeen's quarters to finish the Harpers himself. He had found Myrmeen sitting before her open window, sound asleep. He had entered her mind to kill her, but soon reversed that decision when he learned who she was and the power she had at her command. Shandower's first instinct had been correct: Sixx had placed Krystin with the Harpers in the hope of eventually gaining control of Arabel through the girl, when she succeeded her "mother," who would die from an accident they would arrange in a few years. Sixx had not revealed all of this to Krystin, but he had shown her enough so that she could fit all the pieces into place. [17]
The Devlaine’s were not her true parents. Her mother was slain when she was a year old by warriors in black bearing the insignia of a silver dagger dripping with blood. [17]

Erin Shandower Lore
Erin Shandower, tall, handsome, long black hair, azure eyes, well developed body, thick arms, powerful legs. Hunts Night Parade, has a gauntlet that can kill them. Known as the Slayer to the Night Parade, he stole the Apparatus and uses it to kill them. Was once a wealthy man in Calimport known for his public works, he secured financing to rebuild Calimport after the Great Storm 14 years ago. Erin Shandower had been secretly fighting against the Night Parade for years, his name was too well known so he faked his death in a fire. In his youth Shandower was a poor warrior, he married a woman who inherited a fortune. Shandower began to dabble in magic and went away to explore his arcane talents, he returned a year later to find his wife dead, supposedly she went mad and killed herself. Really the Night Parade caused her death, Shandower hid his fortune, faked his death, pretended to be a mad prophet foretelling the doom the Night Parade will bring, eventually he was attacked by a Night Parade which he overcame and tortured to giving him all its information. [8,9]
Shandower has a gauntlet powered by the energy of the Apparatus, its touch slays any Night Parade. It is fused to his hand. [9]
Shandower hid the apparatus in a cavern in the mountains above the River Calim. The cave network is hidden by magic [16]
Mahrissah, his dead wife [16]
Slain by Lucius (under Lord Sixx’s control) [18]
Shandower was not a great mage, but paid great mages to do what he needed (enchant the glove, create his hideout, protect the apparatus???)[19]
The box containing the apparatus was bright gold with arcane runes covering its surface, grooves filled with crushed rubies representing men and women suffering hellish tortures, when viewed from a distance the pictures merge to become a face screaming in terror, one of the eyes is put out, the other filled with a sky blue marble flecked with crimson [19]

Teshburl Lore
Admiral Mond Vitendi, known to Reisz and the Harpers (whom he owes a favour to), rude and offensive [20]

Suldolphur Lore
Pholorus Argreeves, tall , handsome, brown haired man in his early forties. Ran a private temple to worship and study magic (Mystra???), had been a member of the Council of Mages for 2 decades. Married to Mia Argreeves. Forceful, fair, and gentle [Epilogue]
Temple is decorated with statues of great fallen sorcerers of the last two decades (including Elminster who had “died” and resurrected so many times his statue stands here just in case) [Epilogue]
Lynelle Argreeves, adopted daughter of Pholorus and Mia Argreeves. Real daughter of Myrmeen. Has deep emerald green eyes (like Dak). [Epilogue]

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  09:02:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really enjoyed the Night Parade, not quite as good as the Wyvernspur but still excellent in its own way. It was like a realms horror novel with some really disgustingly nasty monsters. The naming conventions were a little off for Calimshan, but i really enjoyed how the heroes lost completely and only managed to win in the end through luck / sacrifice.

Now onto the Night Parade itself.

Established by an enclave on the Demiplane of Nightmares.

The novel hints that the place where they lived ran out of food and there was a war (presumably a civil war) and that unleashed a lot of energy and opened portals to other worlds.

Lord Sixx has only been in charge for 10 years, yet he created a means to allow the living portal to survive (otherwise he would overload from magic).

There are mentions of dark gods of the Night Parade and at the end of the novel there is a great evil eye that appears to have been trapped within the Apparatus.

The Night Parade can't reproduce, they have to abduct children and change them.

There are only two confirmed cases of the Festival of Renewal, one 14 years ago when Myrmeen's daughter was sold to the Night Parade, and another 28 years ago when Myrmeen's sister was sold to the Night Parade.

There are hints that the Night Parade are also tempting more of their number through Pieraccinni the living portal.

So i'm thinking that a millennia ago the Netherese created an enclave on the Demiplane of Nightmares and couldnt get back. Over centuries the magic protecting them slowly failed and more of them were gradually transformed into Night Parade. I reckon they were feeding off the surviving humans in the enclave, hunting them and devouring their emotions and feelings (they seem able to taste fear and ecstasy).

Then the food ran out and the archmages among them came up with the Apparatus, trapping one of the dark gods (that remind me of that big monster in the Far Plane that transformed another group of Netherese just by walking near them) inside the mythallar (which would still have been functioning and is likely the only thing powerful enough to contain such a powerful being).

The Demiplane of Nightmares fractured and blasted many Night Parade into other worlds, including the Apparatus. This likely happened within the last 50 years.

Eventually the Night Paraders found each other and the Apparatus. I'm guessing that exposure to the Material Plane started to change them and made the energy of the Apparatus lethal to them when before it would have strengthened them. They found out how to use it to create more, slowly growing their numbers by transforming human children. 14 years ago, one of these human children became Pieraccinni the living portal. Lord Sixx slew the leader of the Night Parade and made the Gentleman's Hall to keep Pieraccinni alive. Through it Lord Sixx began attracting more Night Parade from the war torn and fractured Demiplane of Nightmares (which i think was some kind of prison for this big eye thing).

Now it would seem that some Night Parade are more human than others. I reckon the original Night Parade are the most inhuman and monstrous. Those created on Toril are at least part human and are able to operate in human society (thats why the infiltration is starting to spread now, because they have near human operatives). The issue is that it would seem the Material World gradually normalises the Nightmare people so successive generations of the Night Parade might be almost entirely human with a few cool super powers.

Who this evil eye is though remains a mystery but i reckon its an imprisoned far realm monster (might check out the Elder Evils sourcebook for ideas) that the Night Parade unwittingly released by stealing part of its essence.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  13:56:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've looked over the Elder Evils book and nothing suitable jumps out.

I'm sure i read about a group of Netherese that went to the Far Realm and this huge monster passed near them and instantly transformed them into horrible monsters.

In various sourcebooks i can see references to Dendar being erroneously labelled as the Mother of the Night Parade which lends some credibility to them being altered by the presence of a being of immense evil (an Elder Evil).

Does anybody know of any ancient evils (FR or Core or any other setting) where it mentions them having huge black eyes and powers to warp flesh or induce nightmares. Preferably one that has been imprisoned away for the safety of everyone. I have a vague thought that Tharizdun is known as the Elder Eye so maybe he is a good start.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  15:31:33  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really enjoyed the Night Parade, not quite as good as the Wyvernspur but still excellent in its own way. It was like a realms horror novel with some really disgustingly nasty monsters. The naming conventions were a little off for Calimshan, but i really enjoyed how the heroes lost completely and only managed to win in the end through luck / sacrifice.

Now onto the Night Parade itself.

Established by an enclave on the Demiplane of Nightmares.

The novel hints that the place where they lived ran out of food and there was a war (presumably a civil war) and that unleashed a lot of energy and opened portals to other worlds.

Lord Sixx has only been in charge for 10 years, yet he created a means to allow the living portal to survive (otherwise he would overload from magic).

There are mentions of dark gods of the Night Parade and at the end of the novel there is a great evil eye that appears to have been trapped within the Apparatus.

The Night Parade can't reproduce, they have to abduct children and change them.

There are only two confirmed cases of the Festival of Renewal, one 14 years ago when Myrmeen's daughter was sold to the Night Parade, and another 28 years ago when Myrmeen's sister was sold to the Night Parade.

There are hints that the Night Parade are also tempting more of their number through Pieraccinni the living portal.

So i'm thinking that a millennia ago the Netherese created an enclave on the Demiplane of Nightmares and couldnt get back. Over centuries the magic protecting them slowly failed and more of them were gradually transformed into Night Parade. I reckon they were feeding off the surviving humans in the enclave, hunting them and devouring their emotions and feelings (they seem able to taste fear and ecstasy).

Then the food ran out and the archmages among them came up with the Apparatus, trapping one of the dark gods (that remind me of that big monster in the Far Plane that transformed another group of Netherese just by walking near them) inside the mythallar (which would still have been functioning and is likely the only thing powerful enough to contain such a powerful being).

The Demiplane of Nightmares fractured and blasted many Night Parade into other worlds, including the Apparatus. This likely happened within the last 50 years.

Eventually the Night Paraders found each other and the Apparatus. I'm guessing that exposure to the Material Plane started to change them and made the energy of the Apparatus lethal to them when before it would have strengthened them. They found out how to use it to create more, slowly growing their numbers by transforming human children. 14 years ago, one of these human children became Pieraccinni the living portal. Lord Sixx slew the leader of the Night Parade and made the Gentleman's Hall to keep Pieraccinni alive. Through it Lord Sixx began attracting more Night Parade from the war torn and fractured Demiplane of Nightmares (which i think was some kind of prison for this big eye thing).

Now it would seem that some Night Parade are more human than others. I reckon the original Night Parade are the most inhuman and monstrous. Those created on Toril are at least part human and are able to operate in human society (thats why the infiltration is starting to spread now, because they have near human operatives). The issue is that it would seem the Material World gradually normalises the Nightmare people so successive generations of the Night Parade might be almost entirely human with a few cool super powers.

Who this evil eye is though remains a mystery but i reckon its an imprisoned far realm monster (might check out the Elder Evils sourcebook for ideas) that the Night Parade unwittingly released by stealing part of its essence.

Here is what is said about the Night Parade's origin in the 2e Cloak and Dagger:

"The Night Parade has adopted the mark of a purple eye of swirling energy with a black pupil, symbolic of the entropic creatures of nightmare by which they were born. Although many tales suggest wildly varying origins for this group, in truth the Night Paraders descended from a small enclave of Netherese wizards who emigrated from the Realms centuries ago to study the Demiplane of Nightmares. Their descendants, having lost much of the magic and knowledge that protected them from the surrounding environment, have been transformed by the magic energies of that nightmarish realm into an assortment of horribly twisted and misshapen yet unique creatures. "

The entry also implies that they can create these apparatuses (apparati?) as needed. My main concern is on getting them embedded in Iriaebor in a logical way (Iriaebor has the second highest number of them with Sheirtalar as the city with the most).

Finally, what is your impression about the numbers that can shapechange? The tables for creating Night Parade puts it at a 30% chance that an individual can shapechange. From the book, does that sound about right or should it be a higher percentage?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  15:40:07  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've looked over the Elder Evils book and nothing suitable jumps out.

I'm sure i read about a group of Netherese that went to the Far Realm and this huge monster passed near them and instantly transformed them into horrible monsters.

In various sourcebooks i can see references to Dendar being erroneously labelled as the Mother of the Night Parade which lends some credibility to them being altered by the presence of a being of immense evil (an Elder Evil).

Does anybody know of any ancient evils (FR or Core or any other setting) where it mentions them having huge black eyes and powers to warp flesh or induce nightmares. Preferably one that has been imprisoned away for the safety of everyone. I have a vague thought that Tharizdun is known as the Elder Eye so maybe he is a good start.

That eye appearing reminds me of what was written would happen if someone touched one of the drow altars in Queen of the Spiders modules. I believe that would make the eye the drow god Ghaunadaur (also known as the Evil Eye in 2e Demi-human Deities).

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  15:58:07  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like I'll have to trawl my books for info about the demiplane of nightmares, although ghaunadaur could work.

I'm afraid I dont like the idea of the night parade being able to create new apparatus whenever they want. One part of the history says they lost their magic skill and knowledge but they somehow retain enough to make these artefact level items.
Then there is Erin Shandower who appears to have stolen the apparatus several years ago and the night parade still havent made a new one to replace it.

Given its connection to the nightmare plane and the big baddie there I think it was originally from that plane and got shunted to faerun somehow (probably the same way the night parades did, with a huge civil war ripping holes in the plane and they fell through).

It may be that there are other apparatus out there that the night parade are searching for.

It could be that there is one in iraeibor, or they think one is there (having heard twisted rumours about the crypt of the shadow king).

I reckon a third of night parade as shapechangers is about right. But, I'm fairly certain this shape changing is part of the exposure to the material plane so only the ones created on faerun can pass as human. They are also the weaker night parade.

Zeal was 38 ish, and humanoid. Tamara was 28. Alden was brand new. These were all humanoid in shape.

Then we have the mass that was bellophat, the blob that spawned the creatures that killed burke and varina. These were not given an age and it makes sense that they were older and had never been exposed to humans so had no human form.

The younger ones were born from human children so should have more human shapes.

Just my theory of course.

I'm thinking that the night parade in calimshan is all born from one group that got pushed into faerun by the civil war on the nightmare plane.

There could be other groups that appeared elsewhere in faerun perhaps the Westgate, iraeibor cells are of another group.

When they get an apparatus they can make more of themselves and perhaps create another living portal like pieraccinni, to try and bring through more of their kind (although I'm not sure they bring everyone through, it seems like they had some intense rivalries going on at home). Each group of night parade might behave differently on this world. All are hunters but the isolation and dwindling numbers might cause odd behaviours to emerge.

Also noted a link to ondeeme and the night parade. I think the calimshan faction is definitely the most powerful now, spreading out from calimport like a disease.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  16:28:01  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember right, the adventure in Arabel that involves the Night Parade was that the PCs had to stop them from charging an apparatus and creating a gate to the Demi-Plane of Nightmares (a revenge plan for Calimport). So, an apparatus doesn't appear to be that difficult to get. If an apparatus is the only way you can reproduce, I would think that they are going to keep that knowledge no matter what. Of course, the idea that an apparatus is in Iriaebor is not something I want to consider. Of course, they MAY have had one for making new members but it was destroyed during the Zhent occupation. That would be another reason why the Night Parade consider the Zhents as being kill on sight (as so many other groups do).

Hmmm, I didn't think of different factions of Night Parade and it didn't imply anything about that in the Cloak and Dagger writeup. However, I do like that idea.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  21:34:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to be clear Night Parade only need the Apparatus to create more Night Parade on the Material Plane, they can reproduce normally on the demiplane of Nightmare. Lends credence to the idea that the Apparatus contains a piece of the plane itself (or the creature that creates that plane) and the energies of that piece change the children into new Nightmare creatures by warping their bodies. Without it they likely find it very difficult to reproduce but not impossible. Alden was young (i think not quite an adult) and sired by Dymas and a woman (its not clear if she was human or not, i suspect she was human) and he appeared human until his heritage was awakened (its not clear how this awakening took place but perhaps it involved the blood of a Nightmare creature like Tamara did with Myrmeen).

Been doing some research and found some quite interesting things.

The Immortals sourcebook (one of my favourites) mentions Entropy a lot and goes on about dimensional vortex and how these creatures called Blackballs keep appearing out of it. These blackballs are black spheres of pure entropy (sounds a bit like the description of the eye that came out of the Apparatus).

Then i read about the Old Ones and how its believed they created the multiverse and the vortex and the barrier, and this barrier accelerates the creation of life and is creating "nightmare" creatures (sound familiar).

Then i went to the old manual of the planes (AD&D) and found mention of demiplanes of imprisonment and how there are legends of a great evil that dominated a region of the outer planes and that it was cut up into pieces and that along with its servants were sent on huge hunks of matter spiralling far beyond the planes. THere are still large demiplanes out there waiting to be discovered.

Sooo i'm thinking these evil gods on the demiplane of nightmares is one of these entropy loving Old Ones (which is probably the same as the Elder Evils). It was smashed to bits and a piece of it (an eye) was sent to form a new demiplane. That demiplane is now known as the Demiplane of Nightmares.

No name of the elder creature but at least i've got a legend to attribute to its creation. The mention of entropy and nightmares repeatedly in the Night Parade novel makes me think the author had read the Immortals boxed set because the ideas are very similar.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  23:22:39  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that clarification. That makes it even more likely that the Zhents broke the one in Iriaebor. I would guess, being a magical item, it is constructed of precious metals and gems and generally just sits there until charged with lightning. Also, it can sit in a basement since lightning rods are a thing in the Realms. No one would be that curious of one was hit in a storm.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2020 :  08:16:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oddly enough lord sixx mentions the zhentarim and implies the night parade has heavily infiltrated them. Now later sourcebooks make that out to he a lie, but it could be that they took the apparatus with them (rather than broke it). Cue experiments galore and mutated people in service to the zhentarim and a growing group of night parade eager to find out their heritage.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2020 :  16:35:25  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is actually a very good point. The Darkhold has created both the Render and groundlings. What if both of those involved an apparatus to some extent? I need to dig around to see if the timelines for them line up with the Zhent occupation of Iriaebor.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2021 :  13:29:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Night Masks (1361 DR)

Ghost Lore
Assassin, can swap bodies [Prologue]
Originally operating in the east (Chessenta???) [Prologue]
Stole the body of Vaclav (a huge warrior who had fought in 3 wars and even slain a dragon). Vaclav’s assassination was ordered by Mako. Vaclav slew Mako’s cousin in a fight (which the cousin started [Prologue]
In the Night Masks [pg 35]
Frail, effeminate, heavy drooping eyelids, lacks enough strength to defeat a young child [pg 35]
Can heal broken bones in minutes and regenerate from death [pg 41]
Owns a black glove and a white glove, and a gold edged mirror on a gold chain about his neck, these always transfer with him whenever he swaps bodies [pg 41]
Has had at least 3 bodies, each of them gains the ability to regenerate fully. He swaps his targets into his body and then kills his own body (releasing their soul), it regenerates when he switches back. He has killed his body 100 times at least, and the previous body, and the one before that [pg 66]
Ghearufu, glove and mirror combination of magic items, allows him to possess a body, the regeneration power keeps it living, he can kill it to release the spirit and then reinhabit the body to prevent the spirit from returning. The Ghearufu showed ghost how to use it (intelligent???) [pg 67]
Spent 3 lifetimes perfecting the use of the Ghearufu (100 years) [pg 67]
Ghearafu’s power of possession had failed twice in the past, both against wizards who mentally blocked the possession. Ghost killed both wizards, one by possessing his wife, the other by using the Night Masks to kill him (ghost fed them information) [pg 80]
Earliest days of Ghost using the Ghearafu were over 100 years ago [pg 80]
Ghearafu can have a linked body (Chosen Victim) which Ghost can switch to freely over any distance. [pg 135]
Cannot switch to the linked person if he inhabits a temporary body [pg 135]
If Ghost switches to a new body, it takes a week before the new body becomes his main body (as far as the Ghearafu is concerned) [pg 135]
Has slain many heroes [pg 139]

Carradoon Lore
On the banks of the Impresk Lake, surrounded by hedge lined fields (sheep, cattle, crops), walled city. A long bridge connects the city to an island reserved for rich merchants and governing officials [pg 6]
Dragon’s Codpiece, inn, 8 private rooms and a cheaper common room on the back side of the inn not much of a view but usually quiet enough, most of the private rooms often taken by travelling merchants. Inn located on Lakeview Street that runs along the shore of the Lake. [pg 6,89,100]
Fredegar Harriman, inkeep of the Dragon’s Codpiece, thick jowled face, very talkative (not very discreet). Hearthroom where drinks and food served [10,89]
Brennan teenage son of the innkeeper, green eyes, brown hair, slain by Ghost, resurrected by Cadderly [pg 6,8,10,147,227]
Moth Closet, seedy private club at the end of Lakeside View on the east side of Carradoon where Impresk Lake spilled into Shalane River [pg 11]
Western gate [pg 55]
Thieves are common on the roads close to Carradoon [pg 57]
Nameless, a beggar with leprosy, lives outside Carradoon, travels into town to beg. Wife Jhanine, son Toby, daughter Millinea. Slain by ghost who took his body. [pg 61,80]
Tower of Belisarius west of Carradoon atop a hillock, stone steps lead up to the tower, steps in different places each day. Wizard, Cadderly transcribed a spellbook for him. Specialises in illusions. Ironclad front door. Headmaster Avery of the Edificant Library knows Belisarius [pg 68]
Malcolm, travelling merchant, stays at the Dragon’s Codpiece inn when in town, travels between Erlkazar and Riatavin where he lives with his wife, often philanders with women in Erlkazar [pg 90,91]
Temple of Ilmater [pg 121]
Another inn two doors down from the Dragons Codpiece, balding innkeeper [pg 137]
Considered improper to carry weapons openly (illegal???) [pg 162]
City guard [pg 207]
Great stone bridge connects Caradoon mainland to the island section of town. Turned to mud and collapsed by Cadderly [pg 208,219]
Noble estates and manor houses line the shore of Impresk Lake [pg 218]
A host of beggars depart the city every evening [pg 231]
Market Square adjacent to the back end of the Dragon’s Codpiece [pg 246]

Shilmista Lore
Elbereth new king of Shilmista elves [pg 13]
Tintagel, black hair like Elbereth [pg 14]

Castle Trinity Lore
Goblinoid troops lost 1000 in the attack on Shilmista and have retreated back to the mountains [pg 24]
Castle Trinity soldiers still number 3000, mostly human [pg 25]
Bogo Rath, called Boygo Rath by Aballister and Dorigen (because of his boyish looks), has stringy brown hair, shaves half of his head. Comes from Westgate. Paid a huge sum of money to leave the Night Masks 3 years ago. His father is a rich and influential merchant in Westgate with political associations and ties to the Night Masks. Was in the Night Masks little more than 3 tendays before leaving. [pg 26,27,35,39]
Dorigen’s ring supposedly belonged to Aganazzar (wizard born 2 centuries ago) or his associate [pg 77]
Dorigen’s gold ring with diamonds in is a ring of wizardry [pg 79]
Bogo Rath slain by Ivan

Night Mask Lore
Those who try to leave are killed. Those who are not up to standard are killed [pg 36]
Vander firbolg with flaming red hair and beard, Taskmaster in charge of organising a mission. “Spiritmate” with ghost, ghost can switch bodies with him at any time over any distance. Vander used to live in the Spine of the World mountains. Ghost swapped bodies and slew Vander’s brother (and possibly his son, took his left arm off) on a little used mountain trail east of Mirabar [pg 36,41]
Drawing a weapon on a superior is punishable by death [88]
Mishalak, assassin in the Night Masks, slain for drawing a sword on Vander [90,100]
Night Masks paid well to kill Maupoissant the wainwright (Danica’s father) [101]
Wear silver and black masks to kill [pg 253]

Edificant Library Lore
All of the known works of Grandmaster Penpahg D’Ann are located in the library (why???)[pg 50]
Headmasters to meet with the leaders of Carradoon [pg 51]
Headmistress Pertelope has shark like skin, she used the Power of Affinity during the Chaos Curse and became part shark part human, she was the previous Chosen of Denier, is not young (how old, older than normal for a human???) raised on the Sword Coast, fascinated by sharks. [pg 55,203]
Located in the southern reaches of the Snowflake Mountains, dangerous to travel through the Snowflake Mountains, even in the southern regions [pg 104]
Brother Chauntideer, gives midday canticle [pg 225)
The Curse of Deneir, a brand applied to the forehead of a single broken candle above a closed eye. Those branded emit a foul odour that wards all away. To try and cover up the brand causes it to burn further inwards towards the brain eventually causing death. Being branded makes the bearer an outcast from all Deneiran, Oghman, and Ilmateri temples etc [pg 286,287]
Headmaster Avery Schell, slain by Ghost, betrayed by Kierkan Rufo [pg 287]
Kierkan Rufo branded with the Curse of Deneir for his betrayal [pg 287]

Tome of Universal Harmony Lore
Power of Affinity, allows Cadderly to assume partly animal form [pg 199]

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2021 :  13:42:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally finished Night Masks, had to skip over 30 pages of a fight scene at an inn, but the ending was actually not as awful as i was expecting.

Cadderly has now become an ultimate Mary Sue possessing of innate clerical powers (like a cross between a sorcerer and a wizard).

I was rather surprised to find myself preferring Bob Salvatore's depiction of resurrection over the common realms interpretation. I have always clung to the idea of it being a bit like the Princess Bride where someone is "mostly dead" or "all dead". Mostly dead can obviously be cured, all dead its time to rifle through their belongings.

For Bob, the distinction between Mostly Dead and All Dead seems to be a matter of timing, once they have left the Material Plane and gone to the Outer Planes there is nothing you can do to bring them back.

I'm reminded of the scene in Waterdeep, where Midnight discovers the well of souls in Kanaglym. All souls in the surrounding area appear to be drawn to it like a moth to a flame, they cannot resist it (normally, the ToT seems to have stopped it working). The greatest and strongest individuals in life can resist it for a time in death, but once they pass over they are lost to the world.

Then combing through randomly for ideas on my own Bhaalspawn Sage i come across the Soul Forge, which collects the souls of dead Bhaalspawn only. Given Bhaal's association with Myrkul in life, i think more and more that the Dark Three setup some kind of plan that helped forge the modern afterlife as we know it in the Realms. Myrkul went around and located these rifts between the Material Plane and the Ethereal (usually at places where lots of people died) and he created these soul wells, like some kind of a super highway that he could control.

When Myrkul became a god all these soul wells just sent all the souls in Faerun towards his divine realm in Hades. Kelemvor later had them pointed to his new land.

Anyway, back to the novel in question. RAS depiction of death and resurrection i agree with at this point.

The Ghearafu and Ghost are interesting. Ghost is over a century old, i'm going to keep an eye out for renowned assassins of the past that could be him.

The Ghearafu is a set of gloves, one black, one white. It sounds a lot like masquerade dress and a few of the mentions in the text spoke of Ghost operating in the east and killing many heroes. East of Westgate could be Chessenta, Chessenta is one of the places where masquerades are held and may have originated (given their oratory traditions), it also has connections to Westgate through Unther and one of its dynasty of kings that invaded. Lastly Chessenta is modelled on ancient greece and it is the only place i could imagine famous people being called "heroes". Everywhere else regards adventurers (quite rightly) as a necessary nuisance, but few worship them as heroes because many cause quite a lot of destruction. Whereas in Chessenta you have the famous warrior leaders of the city states that would almost certainly model themselves as "heroes".

So i'm thinking Ghearafu is an enchanted piece of dress that was used for body swaps during grand revels (some people are just kinky i guess). Over time it became used for more and more sinister purposes until it evolved into this evil item and then ghost found it and put it to worse purposes.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2021 :  15:05:30  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question: When Ghost takes over a body, is the person's soul destroyed/sent on so that if it leaves the body, the person isn't back to what they were?

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2021 :  15:21:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way the Ghearafu worked is that it swaps the souls.

So Ghost picks a victim and swaps bodies with that victim almost instantly. His soul jumps into the victim and the victim's soul jumps into his.

So Ghost came up with a way of easily killing targets no matter how awesome they were. He used a really weak and useless body most of the time, approaches the target and swaps bodies with them. They are then in the useless body and he is now in an awesome body (and he's a highly trained assassin).

Now this would then render him stuck in the awesome body, but he has a ring of regeneration hidden on his useless body.

So he swaps bodies, kills the useless body and releases the target's soul. He then waits for the useless body to regenerate and swaps back when the body is restored to health but before the other soul jumps back into his body (although i'm not sure it can because it's not their real body).

THis always leaves the target body without a soul and dead without any real indication of cause of death other than it no longer eats and breathes.

I'm not sure the logic for it really works all that well but i'm not about to analyse a RAS novel in depth.

One other thing to note is that the Ghearafu appears to have a linked soul (two gloves, two souls perhaps) that allows Ghost to freely switch to Vander and back again at will any time he wants over almost any distance.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2021 :  15:30:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was rather surprised to find myself preferring Bob Salvatore's depiction of resurrection over the common realms interpretation. I have always clung to the idea of it being a bit like the Princess Bride where someone is "mostly dead" or "all dead". Mostly dead can obviously be cured, all dead its time to rifle through their belongings.

For Bob, the distinction between Mostly Dead and All Dead seems to be a matter of timing, once they have left the Material Plane and gone to the Outer Planes there is nothing you can do to bring them back.

I'm reminded of the scene in Waterdeep, where Midnight discovers the well of souls in Kanaglym. All souls in the surrounding area appear to be drawn to it like a moth to a flame, they cannot resist it (normally, the ToT seems to have stopped it working). The greatest and strongest individuals in life can resist it for a time in death, but once they pass over they are lost to the world.

This could be a good way to represent why certain life returning spells work differently (with even more in 5e). By that I mean you have the revivify, raise dead, resurrection, and true resurrection ideas for clerics and then druids specifically have reincarnate. I could see where resurrection and true resurrection involve going to the outer planes and retrieving a soul and even possibly building an entirely new body, whereas raise dead and reincarnate maybe only work because the soul hasn't "left the plane yet" since it allows up to a tenday, and revivify would be because the soul is "still attached to the body" since it has to be used within a minute of death.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2021 :  15:36:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats kind of how i view it. Of course Resurrection (restore damage to body and make it fit for habitation) and True Resurrection (completely build a new body) require agreement from the deity (if the soul made it to the divine domain) and from the soul in question.

For me deities use soul as a sort of power source (gradually absorbing them to fuel further miracles and maintenance of divine domain and upkeep of avatars etc) so would not be willing to relinquish the soul unless it furthers their aim. If the person in question perished a long time ago then the chances are the soul has been consumed by the deity or a small chance it was converted into a divine servant.

Which also means if you are a priest of another deity and especially if you are a priest of an antagonising deity then the resurrection request will be refused.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2021 :  15:39:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plus i really want to use the Miracle Max voice and words during a campaign when someone goes to a temple and acts for a resurrection.

"Well, look who knows so much....."
"It just so happens this man is all dead...."

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2021 :  15:41:38  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I just wanted to see how that compares to the normal ghost ability of imprisonment. I am putting two ghosts in Iriaebor that can possess someone but it only puts the host's spirit "asleep". Once the ghost leaves, they come back to their senses and have no memory for what happened while they were possessed. Since the ghosts are lovers, it also allows them to have trysts without killing someone every time.

One last question, when ghost takes over a body, does he have access to their memories?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 38 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000