Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Calendar of Netheril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2020 :  08:57:49  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What calendar did Netheril use? And do the Netheril descendants, i.e. Halruua and Nimbral, use it?

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2020 :  12:13:04  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Netherse used Nether Reckoning, when the seven fishing villages on the southern shore of the Narrow Sea formed their alliance. I do not know if Halruuans et al. use this calendar.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2020 :  00:12:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2E Arcane Ages: Netheril Empire of Magic explained the calendar, history, and "ages" of ancient Netheril. Subsequent lore elaborated somewhat but remained essentially unchanged.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2020 :  03:18:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that Netheril wasn't really a unified nation, a common calendar is unlikely.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2020 :  09:59:19  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess I'll use NY (Nether year). I was wondering if the actual calendar had different months from the Harptos calendar, but I can deal with it.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  21:14:08  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe ElfBane,

Yeah, that is curious about the months from calendar systems existing before DR. They likely did use the ten-day model, but it makes one wonder what the months were called before then? They were highly advanced and civilized societies.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  02:03:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe ElfBane,

Yeah, that is curious about the months from calendar systems existing before DR. They likely did use the ten-day model, but it makes one wonder what the months were called before then? They were highly advanced and civilized societies.

Best regards,

That's the kind of information the designer for the Netheril boxed set should have included, but didn't. Among many other things, like ... I don't know ... a system of government!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 15 Sep 2020 02:07:52
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  02:06:59  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

Well, a system of government is one thing that was overlooked, but also, what kinds of things, i.e. economics, they did to make their realm go round. Frankly, as I've sadly come to discover over the years of delving into things relating to Netheril is that it was not well written. It's too huge of a piece of the history pie, and to interesting to gloss over in the ways that they did.

You know if there are any plans to go back to it and get it all squared away? I would guess not with WotC's desire to not commit to anything that can get them in trouble or cost them more in wages for authors, etc.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

Edited by - cpthero2 on 15 Sep 2020 06:21:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  03:20:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Learned Scribe ElfBane,

Best regards,

That's the kind of information the designer for the Netheril boxed set should have included, but didn't. Among many other thins, like ... I don't know ... a system of government!

-- George Krashos

Government? Who wants to read about that when we could read about heavy magic?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  03:36:11  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many ancient cultures existed on Earth without recorded systems of power, while still engaging in a practically global trade environment across dozens of languages and environments. I believe it is entirely biased of us to assume either crystal sphere contained no sense of time-keeping from harvest to harvest simply because nobody was around to claim an empire yet. I'm sure the economics of the area tracked time somehow. Whether it would mean anything to us however is hard to tell. Although after the empire proper was founded, who knows? If it was a command economy down to every magical grain (akin to Earth's Kingdoms of Egypt) then time-keeping specific to that would have certainly began being traced.

However the cultural battles internal to the Netherese empire, and I am an amateur on the sbuject, are something of note. Perhaps those who became obsessed with the Nether Scrolls may have intentionally or unintentionally pushed to replace their agrarian and economic time-keeping strategies in favor for inheriting some ancient time-keeping ways from those they inherited their magic from?

I mean, the ball-park for the Days Of Thunder had to be claimed by someone. Perhaps High Netheril tried to appropriate some more mystical way of keeping time?
Practical trade calendars or clandestine myth calendars- either kind is one not likely to be preserved by time. Apologies if my waxing is off topic.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T

Edited by - PattPlays on 15 Sep 2020 03:37:06
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  03:55:45  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has this on page 5 of The Winds of Netheril:

"A few years later, however, King Nether renamed the kingdom Netheril‚ which meant Nether’s Land. He demanded more and more tribute from the united villages, and many feared that Seventon would collapse. The citizens from the united villages cried out in protest, and the future for the kingdom began to look very dim. "

the second paragraph after the above:

"The Netherese chose a new form of government—one based loosely on democracy. They had a single king whose surviving firstborn was destined to take the place of the elder, but the leaders of each village had a single vote. The vote of the king was worth five votes, however, giving him more political clout than any single leader."

That would give another reason why each archmage afterwards wanted their own city: they got to have a vote in their government.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  04:00:17  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
That's the kind of information the designer for the Netheril boxed set should have included, but didn't. Among many other things, like ... I don't know ... a system of government!

Ed's tweet of
quote:
In 1e/2e D&D, the Common Tongue in the game was design-considered to be English. Hammer and Flamerule were the Common names for "Hamaer" and "Flaenrûl," respectively, and had 'taken over' in Faerûnian daily usage.

might be options for a Netherese calendar? Perhaps someone could Twitter at him to see if he has more on the subject.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  06:42:04  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe PattPlays,

quote:
Although after the empire proper was founded, who knows?

Well, we do have some good reference points that clearly demonstrate economic policy in the vein and through the lens of medieval society at least:

• –3419 DR to –3416 DR The Netherese approach the dwarves of Delzoun at Ascore to conduct trade.
    After three years of deliberation, a trade route known as the Lowroad running through the safest and most heavily patrolled sections of the Underdark, linking Delzoun to Netherese towns, is established.
  • –3373 DR King Azkuldar of Ammarindar initiates trade relations with the magic-wielding humans of Netheril.
  • –2758 DR Netheril’s government evolves into a council called the High Mages of Netheril, which includes the leading arcanists of Low and High Netheril. — The Netherese establish the mines of Dekanter. [–1658]
  • –2387 DR Netheril releases all its gnome slaves.

That's just a few that I found of their economic development. I think it spells out that they had a robust economy, and clearly had it focused to fund their likely expensive way of life. Also of note is the ditching of slaves at a certain point. You don't get rid of free labor unless you're rich (not supporting the abhorrent notion of slavery, just making a valid point here).

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  07:36:44  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Although after the empire proper was founded, who knows?

Well, we do have some good reference points that clearly demonstrate economic policy in the vein and through the lens of medieval society at least:

• –3419 DR to –3416 DR The Netherese approach the dwarves of Delzoun at Ascore to conduct trade.
    After three years of deliberation, a trade route known as the Lowroad running through the safest and most heavily patrolled sections of the Underdark, linking Delzoun to Netherese towns, is established.
  • –3373 DR King Azkuldar of Ammarindar initiates trade relations with the magic-wielding humans of Netheril.
  • –2758 DR Netheril’s government evolves into a council called the High Mages of Netheril, which includes the leading arcanists of Low and High Netheril. — The Netherese establish the mines of Dekanter. [–1658]
  • –2387 DR Netheril releases all its gnome slaves.

That's just a few that I found of their economic development. I think it spells out that they had a robust economy, and clearly had it focused to fund their likely expensive way of life. Also of note is the ditching of slaves at a certain point. You don't get rid of free labor unless you're rich (not supporting the abhorrent notion of slavery, just making a valid point here).

Best regards,

Ah, Ammarindar and Ascore... The area between The High Forest and Anauroch is so deeply sewn in realmslore.. Thanks for sharing!

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  07:46:57  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Always my pleasure! I loved some of those ideas you shared in private chat by the way. Great stuff!

Definitely check out the Phoenix Prophecies too. That is some of my most favorite stuff.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

HellixHarpell
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2022 :  14:34:34  Show Profile Send HellixHarpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Master Krashos,

You know if there are any plans to go back to it and get it all squared away? I would guess not with WotC's desire to not commit to anything that can get them in trouble or cost them more in wages for authors, etc.

If I have anything to do with it they will.

The symbols of mythology are not manufactured; they cannot be ordered, invented, or permanently suppressed. They are spontaneous productions of the psyche. 
(The Hero with a Thousand Faces, Joseph Campbell)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000