Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Stormstar Requiem
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2020 :  04:15:19  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Came across a brief mention of this on the forums, and can't for the life of me find anything about it. Does anyone have a source?

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2020 :  04:25:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this. I don't know of any other sources.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

Can't place it now. Stormstar Requiem is a 4e thing, I think it comes from Brian R. James' or Gray Richardson's notes, from which I may have gotten Stormstar.

It's a reference from Brian's "Hall of the Frostmaiden" article in DRAGON #367.

Specifically, we're told:- " ... Stormstar Requiem—where Talos was revealed as the orc god Gruumsh and banished from Fury’s Heart."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

lookatroopa
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2020 :  17:49:46  Show Profile Send lookatroopa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stormstar is one of the titles of Talos as listed in his Faiths & Avatars profile, as well as Kozah before him, per Netheril: Empire of Magic. The Requiem, from what I'm able to cobble together from the available LFR modules, the aforementioned article in Dragon #367, as well as this comment from Brian R. James, it was a conflict involving (presumably among others) an assault by the Gods of Fury (Auril, Malar, Talos, Umberlee) upon Arvandor (realm of Gruumsh's eternal rival, Corellon). For the purposes of this assault, Auril retrieved Tsien Chiang, darklord of I'Cath, from the Demiplane of Dread, a storyline which is further explored in a series of LFR adventures I have yet to fully wrap my head around.

At some point in the conflict, Talos, leader of the Gods of Fury, was revealed to be the orc god Gruumsh (although as is the case with a lot of 4e's deific syncretisms, the distinction between the two seems to be clear once again as of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide). By the time the clash ended, Gruumsh/Talos was ejected from the Gods of Fury (now the Three Furies), and the group pledged allegiance to Silvanus (perhaps in part due to the Oak Father's rescue of Auril from "the influence of a sinister artifact"), joining him in his realm of the Deep Wilds.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2020 :  05:01:30  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From my Internet surfings, it looks as if Auril used to be an archfey Aurilandur, who was corrupted by some gem and became Auril as we now recognize her. Sorry I do not have sturdier details on which to post these statements.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2020 :  03:05:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they labeled Auril as the Faerie Courts "Queen of Air and Darkness". While I can see her in that role, I must say I love Markustay's idea that the QoA&D isn't just a single entity and that she's infected multiple beings via godly affecting artifact level items which we were calling "the Regalia of Winter".... and I think I started wanting to call them "the Regalia of Darkest Deadly Winters" to associate them to multiple things (cold, dark, and death)… and thus we could have multiple beings who are tainted by the QoA&D and working towards "its" ends. To note, monster mythology talks about the black diamond as being "ten faceted", but then talks about her "avatars" each carrying a facet. It also says that when they are within a mile of this facet, they have no true physical form and may only be perceived magically (so something more than incorporeal).

Oh, and since we were talking about Torog as "the god of the underdark", one could twist the reference in the QoA&D

Who or what created the black diamond is unknown, but some whisper that the Dark God of the Underdark created it, and his return may be dependent on the Queen's Despoilings

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2020 :  22:36:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing that's been bouncing around in my noggin' recently is "where did the alias Stormstar come from?". It occurs to me that Talos has an eye covered by a patch. It occurs to me that when that patch is lifted, you see a blackness filled with stars. I've also often equated a relationship between Talos and the giant sphere of annihilation known as Entropy, and also a relationship between Entropy and the elder evil known as Pandorym which was "split apart" by the Imaskari. Finally, there is a being known as the "Elder Elemental Eye" or Tharizdun, that was locked away and got more detail in 4e when Talos disappeared. I submit that maybe there is some link to all of these things. Kind of like the idea of the "Queen of Air and Darkness" above with the black diamond, perhaps Entropy is linked to Tharizdun (to note the followers of both go insane) and Talos is linked to Entropy.... and THAT's what the stormstar is... his missing eye which has been replaced with a destructive essence that captures the power of light and stars and destroys it or something similar. Possibly Talos CONTAINED the power of this THING in order to be a threat that "give me worship energy so that I can keep holding this destruction at bay, even while it makes me somewhat insane"... and thus why when Talos disappeared in the spellplague, the "Maw of Entropy" appeared in Chessenta and started destroying the world. He may push down destruction to make people remember to worship him, because without worship energy he WILL lose control of the energies of destruction that he's containing.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2020 :  23:54:46  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Talos was Gruumsh? wow, never saw that coming! It does explain why both only have one eye.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2020 :  00:13:20  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maransreth

Talos was Gruumsh? wow, never saw that coming! It does explain why both only have one eye.

A major design goal was culling the (somewhat massive) pantheon, so a number of deities died, were demoted to “exarchs” in service to other deities, or revealed to be aspects of other gods.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2020 :  02:50:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

quote:

A major design goal was culling the (somewhat massive) pantheon, so a number of deities died, were demoted to “exarchs” in service to other deities, or revealed to be aspects of other gods.

...While they simultaneously added more gods to the mix. Which makes me doubt the official excuse that there were too many.

(They also claimed the time skip was needed so they had room to tell stories, because there weren't any places left that didn't have stories set there. They then immediately set about a dozen books in Waterdeep.)

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2020 :  15:44:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not to start an edition war (because I'll note here... I like a lot o the concepts I saw in 4e... I just didn't see a need to throw out a lot of other stuff), but the design goal was to remove things that younger designers hadn't studied so that they wouldn't have to stick to canon. They started right up creating all new things to put in their place. For instance, they didn't need to bring in Asmodeus at all. They already had Gargauth serving the same purpose.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2020 :  16:45:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

Not to start an edition war (because I'll note here... I like a lot o the concepts I saw in 4e... I just didn't see a need to throw out a lot of other stuff), but the design goal was to remove things that younger designers hadn't studied so that they wouldn't have to stick to canon. They started right up creating all new things to put in their place. For instance, they didn't need to bring in Asmodeus at all. They already had Gargauth serving the same purpose.

Yes, the obvious design goal was to remove stuff -- but the stated one was that there were too many gods. Right or wrong, their actions with adding more gods into the mix clearly contrasts their stated purpose of having less gods.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  21:20:55  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Agreed there. The fact that they did add more after culling others was nonsensical. I do wonder if the reason wasn't to cull them so much as to cull a lot of the old gods and replace with newer ones so that new customers joining D&D world could enter with less of a knowledge barrier. I've seen several complaints over the years from people interested in the Realms, who just started getting into it, feeling disheartened at the sheer knowledge base. Not saying that is it as I have nothing to corroborate that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I mean, they haven't produced a lot of material for the Realms that expands out to other parts of the world as they did before, which tells me that their control through limited information has a purpose.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000