Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Multi-class rogue/
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2020 :  07:32:42  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
If you're a rogue of a particular deity, and you agree to the call of a particular god, what class combo would you choose?

Choices:

Rogue/ Cleric
Rogue/ Temple Raider
Rogue/ Swashbuckler
Rogue/ Assassin
Rogue/ Beguiler
Rogue/ Scout
Rogue/ Wizard
Rogue/ Shadowlord
Rogue/ Whisperknife
Rogue/ Ranger
Rogue/ Favored Soul
Rogue/ Divine Seeker

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - Copper Elven Vampire on 08 Mar 2020 07:35:16

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2020 :  10:08:50  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CEV, is it possible to get a Rogue/Paladin option on the poll? Some players enjoy the gray guards and shadowbane inquisitors.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2020 :  15:22:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on the particular god, obviously.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2020 :  17:13:26  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

CEV, is it possible to get a Rogue/Paladin option on the poll? Some players enjoy the gray guards and shadowbane inquisitors.

Like WR said, it depends on your deity. Paladins are too stiff in their lawful ways for most rogue powers, but some do offer PrCs that allow Paladins to do much more seedy work for their church.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  19:28:19  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're a rogue/ cleric... Nothing feels better than destroying undead, blasting an enemy with a Flame Strike spell and then sneak attacking them unaware.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2020 :  05:06:09  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, it really depends on Edition. I have a Rogue|Paladin hybrid [4e] of the Raven Queen - Kelemvor's consort in my Realms - and he's also a dhamphir (uses the Vyrloka race) and he's pretty much on missions to destroy undead creatures.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2020 :  05:30:28  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So a Shadow elf? A Shadar-Kai elf? is he/she a warrior or a spell caster? Arcane or divine? Or possibly both? A Duskblade or Bladesinger?

Travenrez Nightfrost: CN Shadow-Kith Shadar-Kai elf Male of The City of Gloaming. CR 29; Rogue 5/ Duskblade 20. Master "Shade-Killer" of the guild. Ex-Royal Guard of The Raven Queen on the Plane of Shadow. Commander of the Shadow legions in the City of Gloaming. Ex-patriot of the Shadowfell.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2020 :  06:50:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

So a Shadow elf? A Shadar-Kai elf? is he/she a warrior or a spell caster? Arcane or divine? Or possibly both? A Duskblade or Bladesinger?

My character? Hes a 8th level Vyrloka Rogue|Paladin of the Raven Queen. The best way to convert him to 3.5 would be as a LG half-vampire/human rogue 3/ paladin 3 with notable feats Exotic Weapon Prof (bastard sword) and probably devoted Inquisitor. Adding Smite to +2d6 sneak attack on top of a 1d10 weapon is awesome.

In 4e the guy has some evasion powers, and ways to utilize both Charisma and Dex into his attacks while maintaining the ability to lock down enemies - which doesn't translate well to 3.5. maybe the Stand Still feat too?
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2020 :  07:02:19  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

My character? Hes a 8th level Vyrloka Rogue|Paladin of the Raven Queen. The best way to convert him to 3.5 would be as a LG half-vampire/human rogue 3/ paladin 3 with notable feats Exotic Weapon Prof (bastard sword) and probably devoted Inquisitor. Adding Smite to +2d6 sneak attack on top of a 1d10 weapon is awesome.

In 4e the guy has some evasion powers, and ways to utilize both Charisma and Dex into his attacks while maintaining the ability to lock down enemies - which doesn't translate well to 3.5. maybe the Stand Still feat too?

in 3.5ed my guys would eat him up. He seems cool but you have very much going on. I would let him into my campaign for the sake of fairness.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2020 :  19:43:01  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

in 3.5ed my guys would eat him up. He seems cool but you have very much going on. I would let him into my campaign for the sake of fairness.

Well his is only 6th level (in this conversion) so it stands to reason that would happen in a high level game, not to mention that I sort of despise high-level play in 3.5. Rocket Tag simply isn't my Jam.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2020 :  21:32:58  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, he would level up extremely quick if he did join one of my High spell adventures. That could be a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2020 :  19:55:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, he would level up extremely quick if he did join one of my High spell adventures. That could be a good thing.

Unless certain death occurs. Something that's far more likely to happen in a single round to a 6th level character - not to mention there'd be nothing combat-wise that he could do that would be appropriate for such high level campaigns. At best he'd have a +9 or +10 to attack rolls. Most 18th+ CR monsters have ACs in the mid- to high-20's.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  18:20:48  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

Unless certain death occurs. Something that's far more likely to happen in a single round to a 6th level character - not to mention there'd be nothing combat-wise that he could do that would be appropriate for such high level campaigns. At best he'd have a +9 or +10 to attack rolls. Most 18th+ CR monsters have ACs in the mid- to high-20's.

You misunderstand. My PC's or NPC's would never leave you to die if you were 6th level in a epic module. That's what I mean. You would level up big time just based on XP per encounter. Go out of the box for a hot second and imagine this... A party of 7. YOU are the seventh. All 6 remaining Epic level PC's have to basically babysit you as you cast paltry spells that only impress your guardians slightly by how quickly you learn them. You are something special and young. You are barely 15'th level yet. (Powerful to lesser beings, but nothing to epic adventures.)
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  04:02:03  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's not the problem. The problem is that anything your party can facetank is liable to get him killed. You're immune to circle of death, he isn't.

Then you'd have to deal with the in-universe reason as to why people who have to deal with extraplanar threats are dragging around someone who dies the instant the balor sneezes in his general direction. Epic level adventures are basically rocket tag, as Diffan pointed out, and, well, it's not fair to either party. Diffan's character can't contribute, and your epic PCs have bigger things to worry about without Diffan's character failing his Reflex save against some dragon's accidental sneeze.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  12:12:43  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's sort of what I was getting at, there's nothing he could contribute to and that Really wouldn't sound fun. Even after a few encounters of just being a bystander and somehow still getting XP (for what, who know?) It would still take a few sessions to hit any level where he could help.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  17:29:27  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of the Novel about that young girl who was blessed/cursed with Spellfire. Her and her husband/Boyfriend? were very low level NPC's being protected by epic level NPC's. I think her husbands go to spell was Magic Missiles, lol. Being hunted and attacked by Malaugrym and Manshoon. That's epic level stuff there. I was thinking along those lines. Sorry. In the end your low level PC would definitely contribute to the party, even as a liability. At least in my eyes.

In every campaign I've ever been involved in, low level PC's don't just die from a dragon's sneeze as some put it. Not if you're a good DM. Not if you have Epic PC's babysitting you.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  17:37:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was thinking of the Novel about that young girl who was blessed/cursed with Spellfire. Her and her husband/Boyfriend? were very low level NPC's being protected by epic level NPC's. I think her husbands go to spell was Magic Missiles, lol. Being hunted and attacked by Malaugrym and Manshoon. That's epic level stuff there. I was thinking along those lines. Sorry. In the end your low level PC would definitely contribute to the party, even as a liability. At least in my eyes.

In every campaign I've ever been involved in, low level PC's don't just die from a dragon's sneeze as some put it. Not if you're a good DM. Not if you have Epic PC's babysitting you.

How is a liability a contribution?

The problem people are pointing out is that babysat by epics or not, a lot of attacks/effects that epics could withstand or ignore are going to hit a low-level person. No amount of babysitting is going to keep area of effect spells from landing, or turn hopeless saving throws into easy saves, or anything like that.

And sure, a DM could mitigate that, and make sure everything that happens could be survived by the low-level character -- but then the epic characters are unneeded.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  17:50:15  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

How is a liability a contribution?

The problem people are pointing out is that babysat by epics or not, a lot of attacks/effects that epics could withstand or ignore are going to hit a low-level person. No amount of babysitting is going to keep area of effect spells from landing, or turn hopeless saving throws into easy saves, or anything like that.

And sure, a DM could mitigate that, and make sure everything that happens could be survived by the low-level character -- but then the epic characters are unneeded.

Yes, and that's how I run and play in campaigns. Maybe your low level PC disables or bypasses a lock while the Epic's are doing their thing? Maybe the low level PC uses his/her simple skills to do the mundane things that need to get done during an encounter.

"I need to find that trap door while all my epic companions fight off certain death."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  21:43:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So in other words, they're doing the grunt work that the epics could do but don't want to bother with.

They're henchmen, in other words.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  22:36:00  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So in other words, they're doing the grunt work that the epics could do but don't want to bother with.

Bingo!!
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  22:57:54  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's... fairly insulting.

You're telling the guy his character can tag along as the lackey.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  23:54:20  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Bingo!!

Wouldn't it be more productive if the lower level characters have the own separate mission in another place? The progress, success or failure of the lower level characters impacts the progress, success or failure of the epic level characters. So the lower level characters do not accompany the epic level characters to the 88th layer of the Abyss and fight Demogorgon in his fortress surrounded by servitor demons. Instead, they
  • delay or disrupt cult operations
  • intercept messages and infiltrating demons to and from the Abyss
  • garner spiritual, legal and possibly military support from churches, governments and other organizations
  • collect spells and equipment for the epic characters and deny equipment to Demogorgon's enemies.

How well the lower-level characters perform their mission will make the epic character's mission easier or potentially impossible. This raises the stakes for low-level characters without putting them into impossible situations. The last thing epic characters need is to, well, babysit their henchmen while fighting Demogorgon or some other cosmic threat.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  00:13:52  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This issue hits home for me. My namesake and the epic party in which he was the so-called "buffbot" had to rescue wood elven hostages from Menzoberranzan. The wood elves were non-combatants. Talk about babysitting, even though the elves are reasonably good troopers. It was a pain in the arse making sure the drow - and other Underdark baddies! - did not kill any of the elves as the party made its way out of Menzoberranzan and the Underdark. Remember faezress interferes with divination and teleportation magic, so those shortcuts were not a feasible option.

I would surmise that epic PC's would generally resent being put in a similar caretaker position with lower-level PC's. Please clear this with all parties before even attempting such a mission. I have some really bad feelings about it.

Now that I think about it, here is a quest for an super-duper epic party. [sarcasm]Rescue and babysit 1st level human commoners from Asmodeus' fortress of Malsheem until everyone returns safely to the Prime Material Plane.[/sarcasm]

Edited by - Delnyn on 23 Mar 2020 00:19:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  02:47:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Bingo!!

I can't imagine anyone willingly playing the peon for someone else's characters.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2020 :  19:52:26  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo!!

I can't imagine anyone willingly playing the peon for someone else's characters.

I can. Maybe they were all put into place by forces unseen? Maybe the low-level PC has some hidden power that the Epic's know little about, except that it's imperative to keep him/her alive. I could seriously play a Low-level PC with Epics any day. Henchman, Lacky, whatever. It's a great way to level up quickly and see how others play epic level PC's. I've never played a game that was "fair" or DM'd a game that was "fair" so to say.

I don't try to kill the PC's or NPC's, but if I'm playing a Mezzoloth against the party, then I expect them to know how to play. I.E. use your skills and feats and abilities accordingly for your character to succeed.

Say you're a 10'th level Rogue... playing with Epic PC's that are all 21'st level to 25'th level. You can still find trap doors, disable or bypass traps, sneak attack to hurt or distract the enemy as your companion lays the killing blow. Or maybe you have a unique profession that needs to be preserved and only you can perform.

Maybe you're the only surviving blood member of a particular family line and epic beastie types want you dead. Maybe the Blood-Coven of The Vampire Manshoon wants you turned in a vampire for their own needs and as a 10th level rogue you cannot survive on your own.

IDK... I can see many possibilities to be a LL PC in a epic game, even as a Liability.

And if I were playing one of the said epic PC's then I'd have no problem with the challenge of helping babysit a much weaker PC. I mean, that makes for a great game.

Imagine this... 10'th level rogue and last of his blood line throws a perfectly aimed dagger at the Abyssal Retriever 60 feet away from him and bounces off the creatures eye. The 10th level rogue is frustrated that his dagger was not enchanted, for the trow was a dead-aim and should have hit.

The Retriever; a monstrous spider-like denizen of the lower planes turned its multiple eyes on the rogue. Without thought, seeing the target in question, the demon-spider rushed at the rogue with stunning speed.

The 10th level rogue broke the bonds of the fear and terror the Retriever placed on him and he darted backwards with twin shortswords now in hand.

As the spider-demon from the lower planes closed quickly on the rogue, another character was paying close attention amidst the chaos of the battle and suddenly burst into lightning-quick motion.

Just then, not even 10 feet away from the doomed rogue, a Star elf Rogue/ Duskblade appeared on top of the Retrievers back with two swords drawn and ready to plunge. The Star elf was successful on his Sneak Attack and actually rolled a Critical hit for the sneak attack as well. On top of a successful critical hit with a sneak attack, the star elf already had his blade suffused with the spell power of Disintegration. Within a few quick actions the demon-spider was reduced to nothingness as the star elf rogue/ Duskblade hurried the 10th level rogue to better shelter.

Just saying.... I see nothing wrong with that role in a game on either ends of the game-play.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2020 :  21:25:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You, as the epic player, may think it's fun to be a useless peon dragged along on an adventure that you can't help with. I can guarantee you'd find few people that wouldd agree.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2020 :  23:42:30  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You, as the epic player, may think it's fun to be a useless peon dragged along on an adventure that you can't help with. I can guarantee you'd find few people that wouldd agree.

Wow... really?

To be the Pissasnt, would be a great challenge. To protect that person would be a greater challenge. Sorry I see things differently.

I just laid out a great example of DM play. If you don't see it then maybe we should question your knowledge of how D&D works.

As DM I can do anything... I try to play within the rules. Sometimes it calls for divine intervention I guess at lower levels. Otherwise... I'm on spot. I'm on call. I'm on tag. I get the job done!

Did you even read my DM approach? I could clearly have the 10th level rogue die if the 25th level PC didn't intervene. The game is up to the players.... The DM just makes the story move along.

Sure, you could have all PC's die in your Module, but in the end you have pissed friends who want to play a fair game.

Objective; Take the Shadow Stone and bring it to the elves of Myth Drannor.Not to die; Use every skill and feat you have, including skill-feats and Skill-tricks that change how you do things.

If you're a trickster, then you're golden. Your skill-tricks alone can cause a difference. Add your skill feats to the mix and you're nearly unstoppable.

Three levels in any 3'rd level class in CS will rock you hard.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2020 :  02:40:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where's the challenge in not being able to do a damn thing except for wait for someone to bail you out? How is a person supposed to have any sense of accomplishment in this campaign? You have them doing minor things that more powerful people could do if it wasn't beneath them, and then they wait to get rescued.

Where does the fun come into this?

"Oh, let me tie your shoes for you, Great Warrior! Now, please rescue me from this thing I couldn't even annoy with a string of critical hits!"

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Mar 2020 02:43:24
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2020 :  03:56:37  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Where's the challenge in not being able to do a damn thing except for wait for someone to bail you out? How is a person supposed to have any sense of accomplishment in this campaign? You have them doing minor things that more powerful people could do if it wasn't beneath them, and then they wait to get rescued.

Where does the fun come into this?

"Oh, let me tie your shoes for you, Great Warrior! Now, please rescue me from this thing I couldn't even annoy with a string of critical hits!"

Ha!! That is a very mundane way to think of the game. You're doing the same things that you would in a party of your peers, except now it's within the scope of an epic adventure or module. If you're the babysitter, then game on. If you're the Basbysitti... then game on again.

Either way, the challenge is there to be had. I'm dumbfounded that you cannot see this. D&D is not hack and slash, but mind over matter and skill over requisite. The hack and slash come after skill-tricks and skill-feats are placed on the table.

Do you even play the Complete Scoundrel supplement?

Skill-tricks alone can change combat, not to mention Skill-feats and the skill-point system.

Try a Rogue/Assassin/Arcane Devotee of Erevan Ilesere. That combo alone will get you very far in any campaign.

Or even try Rogue/Cleric/Sacred Fist of Erevan Ilesere. Who needs weapons when your fists, elbows, knees and feet are weapons? Yes, that is a great combo.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2020 :  04:35:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if I don't care about Erevan Ilesere? What if I don't want to play a rogue, or I want to play one that's -- gasp! -- just a single class?

And even if I did care about him, you've still not explained why it's so great to be utterly useless, or how it's a challenge to have no choice but to sit back and let everyone else do everything else.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2020 :  05:28:12  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first is terrible. Why are you slapping arcane devotee with assassin? You're only getting 4th level spells.

The second doesn't need rogue. Go monk. Monk 2/cleric 8/SF 10 is a melee powerhouse.

The fixation on how rogues are powerful is especially funny when you consider that it's a t4 class. I like rogues, but let's not pretend that skill tricks are unique to them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000