Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite city?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2020 :  08:55:55  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Saw a resounding endorsement of Arabel in another thread and appreciated it, as I’d never even think to look into it. It made me wonder what other locales I’m ignorant of, so I’d love to hear everyone else’s!

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2447 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2020 :  16:04:44  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides Neverwinter? I guess Djerad Thymar. The place feels alien and is a good fitting in a fantasy setting.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2020 :  17:25:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the Realms, I'm all about Waterdeep and Silverymoon.

Waterdeep's system of government, with its Hidden Lords, fascinates me, and the large, cosmopolitan, and good-ish nature of the city appeals, as well.

Silverymoon has the large and cosmopolitan things going on, as well, but leans more to good and throws in a lot more magic. And it's named for my favorite Realms deity, which is another plus.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2020 :  19:12:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really love Zhentil Keep. It is a city of danger and manifold layers of intrigue. There are elements of it that you really don’t see in even the other Moonsea cities. People have said “but it is dominated by the Zhentarim” to which I simply respond “Waterdeep has its Hidden Lords that dominate as well...most cities are dominated by someone” and leave it at that.

Good adventure can be had nearly anywhere really.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2020 :  21:11:14  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everlund; a large city with a mixed population of elves, dwarves, humans, gnomes and halflings.

Silverymoon; as above but with much more magic
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1267 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2020 :  23:47:56  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My two favorites are Phlan (I'm old school and Pool of Radiance was my intro to the Realms) and Saerloon, I just fell in love with the Cult leaders there in Spellfire and the write up of it in FRA - the temples to Mystra and Azuth are so cool, and I love a gothic city with gargoyles.

Immersea is my favorite village by far, because of the Wyvern's Spur.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2020 :  07:02:27  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

My two favorites are Phlan (I'm old school and Pool of Radiance was my intro to the Realms) and Saerloon, I just fell in love with the Cult leaders there in Spellfire and the write up of it in FRA - the temples to Mystra and Azuth are so cool, and I love a gothic city with gargoyles.

Immersea is my favorite village by far, because of the Wyvern's Spur.

I've actually really fallen for Saerloon as well, though for very different reasons: under Netherese occupation in the 4e era, its recently endured a crackdown on faiths other than the church of Shar, and is noted to potentially be the most poised for revolution.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2020 :  08:20:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lyrabar.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2020 :  08:40:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I reckon with a bit of love suzail could be awesome.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2020 :  14:09:30  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep. To me it's the New York City of the Realms. Always hustling and bustling.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  00:19:22  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

My favorite city is a little off the path: Alsyrrt. It sounds amazing the way it was described in Sea of Fallen Stars

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  17:49:54  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Daggerford for its simpler life, with Waterdeep's proximity making the great city luxuries within reach. It is also near to the Misty Forest to the south and Ardeep to the north, to the ruins of Mount Illefarn and to Sir Elorfindar's estate. A great place for adventurers to thrive as the local heroes.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  19:51:30  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Barastir,

I can see why you would like that. It is a great place for adventurer's to break out and do their thing, and have plenty of ports of call available for all manner of activities! Perfectly centered.

I prefer staying away from the cities such as Waterdeep and Calimport as they are just too big, too fleshed out, and a little cosmopolitan for my tastes. Then again, it is about the PC's. :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

I like Daggerford for its simpler life, with Waterdeep's proximity making the great city luxuries within reach. It is also near to the Misty Forest to the south and Ardeep to the north, to the ruins of Mount Illefarn and to Sir Elorfindar's estate. A great place for adventurers to thrive as the local heroes.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  01:13:43  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My favorite city to write and read about is definitely Waterdeep, but I've always had a special fondness for Elversult ever since I first read through the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover. The map of the city and the accompanying text, "Elversult stands where it does because of the many small spring-fed ponds (said to contain lost treasure) that nestle here among wooded knolls. A fairly new settlement, Elversult has always had a strong ruler, and as a result none of the woods or ponds have been despoiled. Lacking any walls, Elversult sprawls beyond the hills" really spoke to me. If this were a "where in the Realms would you like to live" question, that would be my answer over the City of Splendors.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  08:59:55  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe AJA,

You know that is a good point on what city would you want to live in, as opposed to what city is your favorite. My favorite city would be a tourist destination for me, but I obviously would not want to live there.

You have inspired me to start a new topic (but to search it first!).

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

My favorite city to write and read about is definitely Waterdeep, but I've always had a special fondness for Elversult ever since I first read through the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover. The map of the city and the accompanying text, "Elversult stands where it does because of the many small spring-fed ponds (said to contain lost treasure) that nestle here among wooded knolls. A fairly new settlement, Elversult has always had a strong ruler, and as a result none of the woods or ponds have been despoiled. Lacking any walls, Elversult sprawls beyond the hills" really spoke to me. If this were a "where in the Realms would you like to live" question, that would be my answer over the City of Splendors.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000