Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What would you most want to show a new player?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  10:02:42  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I’ve thinking about introducing some of my friends to the Realms lately, as none of them have a background with it and I think it would be fun to show off why I love this setting so much. It’s made me wonder; what’s the essentials you’d want someone’s introduction to the setting to absolutely hit? In a one-shot, short campaign, hypothetical videogame, whatever... what, in an interactive medium, are the highlights you’d feel a need to ensure a new player came across.

I have my own ideas, but I’ll hold back for a bit, partly because it’s currently 2am.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  15:34:56  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu
hypothetical videogame

If he has no problem with older video games it would be Baldurs Gate II. That was my introduction and what hooked me to the realms and it's still one of the best RPGs ever. There is even an enhanced edition now.

Otherwise it would be novels. If you have them you could lend him some of ne Realms of ... (Dragons, Elves, Undead...) novels. They have a lot of short stories that cover a wide varity of the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  18:11:38  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

quote:
hypothetical videogame

If he has no problem with older video games it would be Baldurs Gate II. That was my introduction and what hooked me to the realms and it's still one of the best RPGs ever. There is even an enhanced edition now.

Otherwise it would be novels. If you have them you could lend him some of ne Realms of ... (Dragons, Elves, Undead...) novels. They have a lot of short stories that cover a wide varity of the Realms.

You misunderstand; I’m not looking for a work, I’m looking for what parts of the Realms you’d want an introduction to be sure to include.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  19:16:50  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After giving some thought, the Forgotten Realms where there is far more for players to do than "kill the monsters and take their stuff." There is plenty of combat, but also equally if not more opportunities for exploration, social interaction and politics. And sometimes, the players need to know when their characters are going to get their heads handed to them.
Sorry, mixmaxed uberoptimized powergamer, you are not going to raid Larloch's dwelling, destroy Larloch and the other inhabitants and loot his magical items. (The other players talked down said powergamer into sanity and I as DM did not have to oversee a brutal TPK.)

The Forgotten Realms is also an wide open world where there are always too many mysteries for any one player or group of players to fathom. Here is where I plagiarize Ed Greenwood's quote to the effect of creating three questions for every one you answer.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  20:50:33  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm sorry I didn't understand either - but if you're looking for parts of the Realms to include, location wise I think Dalelands, Cormyr, Moonsea are a great introduction area - for concepts Harpers, Zhents, Purple Dragons, and Red Wizards.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  21:07:17  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Show the maps. Maybe start with the whole world map, then ask where you want to know about. With your knowledge of the Realms, anywhere they point to, you can rattle something about it off. I used to love to stare at a map (particularly the unknown regions) and let my mind wonder what was there.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  21:56:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have the old Grey Box I think you would be well served using snippets of the maps mixed liberally with current clack to immerse them.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2020 :  01:09:47  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I'd say probably either the Dalelands and/or Cormyr because they're very established and have that "generic Western fantasy feel" that isn't threatening/intimidating/etc.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2020 :  03:19:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With 4E being your Edition of Choice, I would start with Loudwater from the 4E FRCG and go from there. You have the Greypeaks to the east, High Forest to the north. High Moor to the south, and Secomber/Waterdeep to the west. All kinds of possibilities! Start small and grow!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2020 :  03:31:28  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go with Cormyr; probably in Arabel. A large enough city to enjoy the entertainments, the wonders, the joys of a large city within a magical world. So many beers, ales, cheeses, wines, bars, inns and restaurants are detailed in this region!

I'd play that off with the, depending on the players's attitude, to the knowledge and lore of the Forest Kingdom itself. They either take pride in the Purple Dragons and War Wizards in the area, or maybe mutter some curses under their breath about always being under the Crown's bootheels-really polish up that shine of the Arabellan independent attitude that never goes away!

And since it's Arabel..why... there's so much forest and wilderness around that somewhere, someone or some village or hamlet needs help. And those 'Dragons and Wizards' are too busy with 'the security of the Realm!' to look after the little people. That's where your group steps in to go help out against orcs, or leucrotta, or enlarged dire boars running down cattle.

Nothing is truly too weird or abstract in Cormyr-it's a fantasy place with a ruling King (er, in my timeline thinking) and a sage Wizard at his side. Monsters and dragons and ruins and dungeons are still plenty to find even in this kingdom, so your group can go and make their own legends there!
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2020 :  04:16:26  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I would, as Faraer always urged, have them read the words of the 1996 Forgotten Realms Conspectus
http://web.archive.org/web/20051226200056/http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/wellmet.htm (WayBack link, c/p manually)

"If you are but newly come to the Realms, or are setting out for the first time from the place of your rearing to taste its beauties and perils, I envy you. So much glory awaits your eyes. Hearken to some few of the things I have observed in Toril...

... I have seen the glories of the Realms in my day, and glimpsed something of what lies ahead. Perils that shake the very world, and dark days for Faerûn, lurk among the shining sights: bold and brave adventurers will be needed. If you are stirred at the thought of wielding sword or spell in this most splendid of worlds, hearken. I am Alaundo of Candlekeep, called by some Alaundo the Seer, and I say to thee: the Realms wait for thee.
"

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  07:57:50  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

I would have to say a campaign in the Shining South. I am just about to wrap one up (It's called a "Troubled Economy", I have it on Obsidian Portal now), and I love the richness of that setting. It is my favorite part of the Realms by far (though not my favorite city, which is Alsyrrt). The amazing and crazy tech that Halruaa has in their capital of Halarahh is epic, and the Shaaran plains are gorgeous. I love the Shining South! :)

Best regards,

quote:

I’ve thinking about introducing some of my friends to the Realms lately, as none of them have a background with it and I think it would be fun to show off why I love this setting so much. It’s made me wonder; what’s the essentials you’d want someone’s introduction to the setting to absolutely hit? In a one-shot, short campaign, hypothetical videogame, whatever... what, in an interactive medium, are the highlights you’d feel a need to ensure a new player came across.

I have my own ideas, but I’ll hold back for a bit, partly because it’s currently 2am.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  08:25:55  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe keftiu,

I would have to say a campaign in the Shining South. I am just about to wrap one up (It's called a "Troubled Economy", I have it on Obsidian Portal now), and I love the richness of that setting. It is my favorite part of the Realms by far (though not my favorite city, which is Alsyrrt). The amazing and crazy tech that Halruaa has in their capital of Halarahh is epic, and the Shaaran plains are gorgeous. I love the Shining South! :)

Best regards,

quote:

Ah, I’m not sure how fond you are of the Shattered South, is the problem...

Setting a game in Ormpur that goes to Elfharrow and the ruins of Halruaa is somewhere in my mental queue.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2020 :  08:30:59  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

Well...that's one of many reasons why I never incorporated post-Spellplague material. haha

I just cannot give up my South! :)

Best regards,

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe keftiu,

Best regards,

quote:

Ah, I’m not sure how fond you are of the Shattered South, is the problem...

Setting a game in Ormpur that goes to Elfharrow and the ruins of Halruaa is somewhere in my mental queue.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000