Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Half-Dwarves?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2020 :  09:05:19  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Any clue why these don’t really exist in the modern setting? Especially given how mixed the populations of large cities are, to say nothing of places with major dwarf-and-others populations like the Silver Marches or East Rift. I’ve heard that a few individuals exist in the distant past, with minimal lore.

And no, I’m not interested in muls here.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2020 :  09:22:43  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the D'tarig are a whole population and culture of half-dwarves:
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/D'tarig

It's stated as "possible" but seeing the D'tarig height and other factors, the Dwarf descent seems plausible.

Stout Halflings (who were present before 3E in the Realms), were theorized to have some dwarven blood, this possibly being also true of their latter counterparts, Strongheart Halflings (with the 5E materials equating Strongheart and Stout Halflings with each-other.)

I think dwarves, due to low population numbers, especially up to the Thunder Blessing, and a certain more conservative culture, might often see crossbreeding as something socially undesirable and breed almost entirely within the dwarven kind (at least compared to elves or especially humans and orcs), to ensure bigger numbers of "pure" dwarves. Hence the rather rare number of half-dwarves today.

Minsc was curiously originally a Half-Dwarf (if Mul) Feralan in the home campaign he originated from:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/Minsc_Character_Sheet_from_Cameron_Tofer_pen%26paper_game.jpg

[EDIT]

Changed my comment from making it seem dwarves never breed outside of their kind, which wasn't my intention, and is incorrect.

Edited by - Baltas on 24 Jan 2020 11:35:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2020 :  11:12:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 6 of Dwarves Deep:

quote:
Humans, gnomes, and halflings are cross-fertile with dwarves. Elminster says elves and dwarves can have issue as well. Common in Ardeep, Eaerlann, and Myth Drannor of old, this is unheard-of today.

and

quote:
"Half-dwarves" are not a distinct race. Save for their height (a head taller than most dwarves) all offspring of unions between dwarves and other races look and act (and are treated in the rules) as pureblood dwarves. Dwarven halfbreeds always have the stocky build and hirsute appearance of purebloods.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Jan 2020 11:13:20
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2020 :  02:34:51  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my 5E Forgotten Characters of the Realms (on DM's Guild -- 101 pages for only $5), I worked up half-dwarves, positing that Luruar led, albeit briefly to a virtual explosion of half-dwarves not seen for centuries, but with the dwarves leaving Luruar by the end of 3E, that has abated. I also suggested that the occasional d'tarig is more dwarf like and has the stats of a half-dwarf instead of a human.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2020 :  03:01:26  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The internet has taught me that half-dorfs are what happens when a swole dorf and his trusty battleaxe find each other late at night, when the moors are quiet and the stars are bright.

Obvious, you can't tell the difference. Only half-dorfs can tell each other apart; there's a surprising rivalry between hammerdorfs and axedorfs.

No other half-dorfs exist, because if you're not using a hammer or an axe, you're not a dorf, you filthy poser.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2020 :  03:21:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The internet has taught me that half-dorfs are what happens when a swole dorf and his trusty battleaxe find each other late at night, when the moors are quiet and the stars are bright.

Obvious, you can't tell the difference. Only half-dorfs can tell each other apart; there's a surprising rivalry between hammerdorfs and axedorfs.

No other half-dorfs exist, because if you're not using a hammer or an axe, you're not a dorf, you filthy poser.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2022 :  11:38:24  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always liked the idea that dwarves finding out that they can breed with humans resulted in them losing their status as a dying race and solved their infertility problems.

I also mentally think it'd be funny if that's when dwarven spellcasters started to appear.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2022 :  00:16:40  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it wasn't just the Thunder Blessing that led to a resurgence of dwarven population.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1169 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2022 :  01:40:48  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's tweets on half dwarves:
quote:
@Artie_Pavlov

Hi @TheEdVerse. are half-dwarves your thing in the realms? or inherited/created? Also, they seem to be super rare. Is there any breeding-specific lore? I seem to always forget that in the realms dwarves actually can breed with humans.

<Image of Nuli Barbarak: https://twitter.com/Artie_Pavlov/status/1440988057596043264/photo/1>

@TheEdVerse

I can't recall if this made it into published Realmslore, or just internal design lore, but I have answered this via the Hooded One: most half-dwarves can "pass" as either (usually short, stocky) human or as a (tallish) dwarf. And do, so they SEEM rare.
Source: https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1441061842466578432
quote:
@HalfElfatHeart

What would the general opinion of half-dwarves in larger cities along the Sword Coast look like? I wasn't sure if they were so rare that it would provoke extreme attention.

@TheEdVerse

Half-dwarves that someone glancing their way will THINK are half-dwarves are rare indeed; most half-dwarves so favor either the human or the dwarven parent (usually the latter) as to pass for human or dwarf. A “pass for human” half-dwarf will usually be short, stocky, and burly of muscle. A pass-for-dwarf half-dwarf will look like an unusually tall dwarf. A visibly half-dwarf will be even taller, and will attract attention, but will only stand out when walking alone or with one or two companions of different heights; otherwise, there’s enough variation in human heights, especially when youths are in the mix, that the half-dwarf will tend to “blend in with the crowd.”
Source: https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1248075660159004678
quote:
@WillemJdeGreef

Out of curiousity, in your home campaign do you know of any half-dwarves or half-halflings (quarterlings?). We know humans and elves can tango, and humans and orcs. Why not dwarf/halfling, human dwarf, human halfling and such?

@TheEdVerse

Certainly. This has come up a lot over the years, and my answer remains the same: such individuals tend to favour/"pass" for one parent race or the other...and out of social convenience, almost invariably choose to "blend in" (e.g. a tall human/dwarf w/humans).
Source: https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1461830127814332424
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000