Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Searchinv rules for naval battles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Regar Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
21 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2019 :  11:52:28  Show Profile Send Regar Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm planning a campaign where the PCs are going to raid the Nelanther islands to fight pirates. I'm looking for some rules about medieval ship combats. Not the sails and cannons, Nelson-Napoleonic types. More about galleys and oars.
I would like also some rules for ruling big naval battles.

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  01:04:36  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you picked up Ghosts of Saltmarsh or checked out the UA article that preceded it?
Go to Top of Page

Regar Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
21 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2019 :  23:00:21  Show Profile Send Regar Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Have you picked up Ghosts of Saltmarsh or checked out the UA article that preceded it?

These are too simple for my taste. But I like Saltmasrsh gazeteer and nautical data.
Go to Top of Page

Palant
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2019 :  06:35:57  Show Profile Send Palant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Regar Khorvaen

quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

These are too simple for my taste. But I like Saltmasrsh gazeteer and nautical data.

You can try The Naval Code (can be easy founded on reddit).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2019 :  15:11:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back in the day, TSR put out a book called Of Ships and the Sea that had some rules for naval combat. FOR3 Pirates of the Fallen Stars also had similar rules. The first book was a generic, core one, but the second was a Realms supplement. Both were 2E.

I believe both are available as pdfs from DriveThruRPG.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mrestos Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
48 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2020 :  15:26:33  Show Profile Send Mrestos Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The rules from OSAS are correct, but they suffer the same problem of all naval supplements of AD&D: no mention of how boarding actions are ruled.
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2020 :  10:05:36  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Book 3: Combat Among the Stars from the SJ boxed set War Captain's Companion has a pretty good chapter on boarding rules.

When it comes to naval combat, I've found that Spelljammer did it the best. You can uses the ship combat rules as written as well, since they don't have parallels in the d20 era that would cause them to be incompatible for the most part.

The hardest part would be finding a copy, although electronic copies are available on DM's Guild. I fortunately have a hard copy in perfect condition still.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000