Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Brainstorming Anchorome
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  15:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That makes an awesome little adventure.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  16:11:46  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.travelalberta.com/ca/listings/three-sisters-mountains-2010/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Sisters_(Alberta)
https://www.reddit.com/r/alberta/comments/c7kzmt/does_anyone_know_the_story_behind_the_three/

I'm noticing a very similar mountain chain near that in that inland lake in the north west, so thinking it is the hibernating spirits of three giants/really big earth elementals of some sort.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-medicine-wheels-of-north-america

Can we have medicine wheels dot the northern reaches, possibly acting as earth gates if you have the key?

Now for one that's just plain silly so feel free to say no.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/world-s-first-ufo-landing-pad

one of the tribes setup a spelljammer landing pad (possibly those hags use it as a refueling station) :D

One of the things I've seen is tribes/reserves named the same physical location (ex whitefish lake) because they want control of that name.

Perhaps names have power in some fashion and sometimes raids between tribes/villages is to essentially capture the essense of the name forcing them to rename it.

Possibly because they captured the spirit that holds the name?

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com

Edited by - shades of eternity on 13 Sep 2019 16:29:04
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  19:12:04  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by shades of eternity

Cannibal birds are man eating birds (more like sentient eating birds in this setting)

okay let's revise it so it uses more pre-built critters.

There is this Coven of Hags that have a small house on the back of a Roc (giving them a range to land anywhere in Anchorome).

They are accompanied by a flock of Peryton that they send out to gather supplies and bring meat.

Rumor has it that they return to an Evergreen tree large enough for a Roc to make it's nests. It is infested with Giant Slugs and Snail Flails.

Algathi are wary of dealing with the hags as more then one of them made a deal with them and became a wendigo in the process?

How's that?

Hags with a roc don't bother me, but a roc with a house on its back does bother me.

Me, I'd put the hags on an island someplace and give them some sort of corrupted or fiendish roc as their transportation.

Or you could put them on some sort of mobile earthmote.

Or... Maybe a Halruaan elder once came here, in his skyship, and they slew him and stole it, or otherwise got him under their control.

Or on a similar track, maybe go for a variation on one of Eber-whatsit's skyships. The hags grabbed a boat somewhere, and bound some sort of planar entity to it, and now it's a flying ship. As hags, the planar entity could be a fiend instead of an elemental -- or it could be some sort of celestial.

Shades and Wooly. You mind if I throw a little locational adventure (I mean a few short pages) together and throw it up on DmsGuild for $0.00 crediting you two? I like this hag/earthmote/roc/peryton/slug concept. i'll post the link here when I do if you allow it.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 13 Sep 2019 19:12:51
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  19:53:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cannibal birds are man eating birds (more like sentient eating birds in this setting)

okay let's revise it so it uses more pre-built critters.

There is this Coven of Hags that have a small house on the back of a Roc (giving them a range to land anywhere in Anchorome).

They are accompanied by a flock of Peryton that they send out to gather supplies and bring meat.

Rumor has it that they return to an Evergreen tree large enough for a Roc to make it's nests. It is infested with Giant Slugs and Snail Flails.

Algathi are wary of dealing with the hags as more then one of them made a deal with them and became a wendigo in the process?

How's that?

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

One great related myth was the "piasa bird." Apparently Europeans observed some rock paintings of a creature known as the water panther (mishipeshu) and completely misunderstood the drawings thinking them to be a man-eating bird. One of the explorers wrote an early horror story about this "piasa bird" that scared the crap out of other explorers.

That's a very cool origin story imo and worth a reskinned monster. Faerunians might see a native painting and think there were perytons in nearby hills. The local spirits, seeing a way to deter further plundering might give life to such nightmares. With rumors of "cannibals" already freaking out the Amnians or Baldur or whomever (remember, creatures like the wendigo came about because of cannibalism), now we have a "cannibal bird" to look out for.

Sorry didn't respond to this.

I really like it. :)

I like the idea of the hags that are using a flying means to get around, and I really think you have an opening here. Roc though is too "noble". What if it were giant vultures? There might be some hags that live in the mountains. I like that those same hags might have perytons as "pets"/servants. On the part of them being in a tree, perhaps they are living near a "magic tree" that has a link to the feywild, and they've corrupted it. The general area might have snails, mosses, etc... that remind one of a blight on nature. Seethyr's got some hags that specifically use some kind of twisted twig wands that would fit this idea.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  20:00:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

https://www.travelalberta.com/ca/listings/three-sisters-mountains-2010/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Sisters_(Alberta)
https://www.reddit.com/r/alberta/comments/c7kzmt/does_anyone_know_the_story_behind_the_three/

I'm noticing a very similar mountain chain near that in that inland lake in the north west, so thinking it is the hibernating spirits of three giants/really big earth elementals of some sort.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-medicine-wheels-of-north-america

Can we have medicine wheels dot the northern reaches, possibly acting as earth gates if you have the key?

Now for one that's just plain silly so feel free to say no.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/world-s-first-ufo-landing-pad

one of the tribes setup a spelljammer landing pad (possibly those hags use it as a refueling station) :D

One of the things I've seen is tribes/reserves named the same physical location (ex whitefish lake) because they want control of that name.

Perhaps names have power in some fashion and sometimes raids between tribes/villages is to essentially capture the essense of the name forcing them to rename it.

Possibly because they captured the spirit that holds the name?

On the idea of the spelljammer landing pad, one of the things I just added was a place that is exactly that (Seethyr, I'll send you the latest map). I had discussed the idea in another thread that red wizards have conquered a small portion of Esh Alakar, and in it they find a portal that sends them somewhere else. The somewhere else include glassteel ships that were previously fitted for flight (and submersion), but that their locomotive magics have failed and the red wizards have to "refit" them with things like "Plumafeather sails" and magical oars that work as constructs, etc...

I decided to make this a Mesa in the middle of the desert, with actual crevices that surround it, and "crystal" monoliths that actually hide the mesa via mirage. So, from the surrounding desert, people don't know its there and the mirage generally makes them naturally veer around it. Noting that this is "ancient spellweaver magic" and not red wizard magic. They're just taking advantage of it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  20:53:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Shades and Wooly. You mind if I throw a little locational adventure (I mean a few short pages) together and throw it up on DmsGuild for $0.00 crediting you two? I like this hag/earthmote/roc/peryton/slug concept. i'll post the link here when I do if you allow it.

I have no objection to that. Besides, I was just taking Shades's idea and rotating it ninety degrees -- just enough spin to keep the basics of the original concept while changing it to something more to my liking.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  21:20:57  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

On the idea of the spelljammer landing pad, one of the things I just added was a place that is exactly that (Seethyr, I'll send you the latest map). I had discussed the idea in another thread that red wizards have conquered a small portion of Esh Alakar, and in it they find a portal that sends them somewhere else. The somewhere else include glassteel ships that were previously fitted for flight (and submersion), but that their locomotive magics have failed and the red wizards have to "refit" them with things like "Plumafeather sails" and magical oars that work as constructs, etc...

I decided to make this a Mesa in the middle of the desert, with actual crevices that surround it, and "crystal" monoliths that actually hide the mesa via mirage. So, from the surrounding desert, people don't know its there and the mirage generally makes them naturally veer around it. Noting that this is "ancient spellweaver magic" and not red wizard magic. They're just taking advantage of it.

Hot diggity. :)

quote:

I like the idea of the hags that are using a flying means to get around, and I really think you have an opening here. Roc though is too "noble". What if it were giant vultures? There might be some hags that live in the mountains. I like that those same hags might have perytons as "pets"/servants. On the part of them being in a tree, perhaps they are living near a "magic tree" that has a link to the feywild, and they've corrupted it. The general area might have snails, mosses, etc... that remind one of a blight on nature. Seethyr's got some hags that specifically use some kind of twisted twig wands that would fit this idea.

I like it. Giant Vultures feels seriously 80's and a quick rekin changes nothing. :)

quote:

Go nuts.

Honestly, if you want to charge for it and keep the money, I have no problems with it, as long as you list us as collaberators in some fashion. :)

I'm not sure if it's already done, but one of my favorite eastern U.S. first nation groups is the following.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Iroquois-Confederacy

I'm not sure if they are already on the map so throwing it out there.

These guys are practically the default culture for most of Canada and a fictional version treating them as the traders of Northern Anchorome could be interesting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cree

plus linguistically some speak a dialect that is very close to the south western united states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athabaskan_languages

There could be a bit of fun explaining how this linguistic simularity occured in the fiction. :)

Either that or it's the Anchorome equivlent of Common.

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump is one of those really interesting places that could have magical and/or necromantic consequences.

https://headsmashedin.ca/

Edited by - shades of eternity on 13 Sep 2019 21:38:11
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  22:43:43  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Go nuts.

Honestly, if you want to charge for it and keep the money, I have no problems with it, as long as you list us as collaberators in some fashion. :)

Meh, I don’t really do this for money. I spent over 200 hours and $400 on the Anchorome Campaign Guide so that’s why I charge for it. This one will likely be about 3-4 hours of work and I’ll do what I can to find public domain artwork. Let’s see how it works out.

Later tonight or tomorrow look in the DMsGuild scrolls to get a first draft background. I’m throwing back a few before I write so it might not be entirely legible.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  23:35:05  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
fair enough.

Now another important question

Mammoths or no Mammoths? :D

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  10:55:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding a trader's idea, Seethyr's got a group called the Pochteca who were merchants from the Maztica campaign guide he created. Basically the people of Kolan (the area where the worshipped of Tezca the sun god is popular along the coast and separated from the rest of Maztica by a big desert) started travelling the world, acting as emissaries, newsbringers, spies, and traders to keep people updated. The leader of the Kolan is known as "The Grand Pochteca". So herein we have our traders (and rogues/bards, etc..).

Regarding the idea of the Cree above, the Minnenewah seem to somewhat fit that concept.

On mammoths.... good question.... answer... yes, but they're called Mastodons. They're listed in the Kaaya'yeeda entry. I kind of feel like the Kaaya'yeeda needs a bit of actual development. So, let's veer aside and look at what we do have

From the Anchorome Campaign Guide so far for the kaaya'yeeda
The Minnenewah do not travel this far north because the
land is crawling with megafauna that exist almost nowhere
else on Toril. There are sabre-toothed cats like the smilodon
and the scimitar cat, mastodons, giant tortoises, beavers and
condors. There is even giant and aggressive salmon that live
in the largest of rivers and the armored glyptotherium
wandering the plains.

So, HOW should we adjust any of this and HOW will this possibly affect the landscape and WHAT additions to we feel are merited.

First, if there are giant beavers.... then there are giant beaver dams. This makes me think that the kaaya'yeeda should be speckled with numerous small lakes and streams. It ALSO makes me think that beaver dams are a GREAT place for a lazy lumberjack (or giant) to go get wood for building a house. These small streams should maybe lead off into the forests to either side I'm thinking. Also, we should establish what size a "giant" beaver is (a normal one, if it stands is 3 or 4 feet tall, so I'm picturing something that if it "stands" is say 12 feet tall). These critters should be a "threat" to the inhabitants of the surrounding forests, and perhaps the Kercpa of the northern Adusgi Forest HATE giant beavers (which I'm picturing now a thousand squirrel folk attacking a beaver the size of a full size pickup truck now). Same with the owlkin to the west. Their meat (when I google it) is said to be similar to pork, so people may hunt them for meat. Their tails would be huge, and thus maybe they might be able to be cured and used as doors in buildings, large planks in bridges that maybe aren't having to be repaired as often, (or what options come to your mind besides leaving them to rot)... Their hides will have much thicker hair than their smaller kin, but it should still be water tight.... so maybe it could be used to make really good fishing nets, waterproof tents, flexible but strong leather armors, etc... These beavers may be known for leaving the area of the kaaya'yeeda and into the surrounding wood edges and interacting with the races there as a result. The Urskan bear folk north of the Kaaya'yeeda in particular may hunt them for food, leather, and waterproof fur for crafting.

Next, what the hell is a glyptotherium? Well, google finds that its a giant armadillo precursor, but with less of a snout sticking out. Generally the size and shape of a Volkswagen beetle. I can picture them, but I don't see a lot of them in the area. Maybe they're something that the large cats like to eat, and with their larger fangs maybe they can piece the armored shell.

Giant Tortoises... well, we have the nearby tribe that worships Zaratan, so maybe these are "involved" with it. We know the Haud'aunee minnenewah tribe call the zaratan "Ulanawa". So, maybe the giant tortoises/turtles are his children, and maybe they've spread westward into the lands of the Haud'aunee (including the lakes of the Unole and maybe they're a nuisance (or delicacy?) for the aarakocra of Amoyeli Isle in the middle of the large lake of Unole?

Big Cats? Nothing much here other than, yes, let's have that.

Giant Condors? Condors are normally a mountainous bird, so maybe they're actually coming from the mountains further north and hunting in these hilly plains?

Giant Salmon - I'm picturing these to be Salmon that are size large (a normal salmon can be up to 58 inches long, so almost 5 feet... so picturing these being around 10 feet long). I picture these guys travelling to spawning pools in the northern mountains. The Urskan bear folk love them, and catching them for food is a common source of meat that leaves the kaaya'yeeda. Smoking the salmon to preserve it is common, but more favored is honey curing them. Salt is traded with the desert people to the south and sometimes used as a curative.

But what OTHER creatures should we put in this area to make it more
A) different than we see in other fantasy areas and
B) evoke a feeling of "native America" without copying it.

So, let's list some other options.

Dire Wolf packs - as found in the 5e monster manual
Dire Moose and Giant Elk - Giant Elk are in the 5e monster manual. Dire Moose should be bigger/stronger. these are definitely in, and I'm figuring they are one of the few reasons Minnenewah and Bearfolk (Urskan) enter the are. The Shatjan of the northwestern Adusgi enter the area to PROTECT these creatures. Picturing these as being twice the size of a normal creature (so size huge)

Dire Raccoon - these should be found in the area, but they should also be found LEAVING the kaaya'yeeda and INVADING surrounding territories. They're thieves for garbage. They're vicious. They are meat eaters and may take small children. Picturing these creatures being the size of a horse.

Giant Rat - these are so common they would be an infestation... if the giant cats, giant boars, etc... weren't eating them.

Giant Badger - as found in the 5e monster manual. These should be burrowed into the hills. They should be a threat to the underdark population in the area (of which, we should design an underdark population to the area... which I've been leaning towards a "pale elf" population like the shadar-kai, shadow elves, etc... something that's NOT drow, but is known to be in the dark for some reason.).

Giant Boar - as found in the 5e monster manual. Maybe these are more in the surrounding woods than the plain itself. They tear up the forest rooting about, and are hunted to keep the population down. Their meat and hide are sought after.

Giant Frog - from the 5e monster manual common to the rivers in the area, and a common source of food for owlkin in the nearby wood, giant eagles and condors flying over, dire raccoons, etc...

Giant Crayfish and Crab - Giant crab is in the 5e monster manual. these medium size creatures are common in the rivers and small lakes that dot the area and are common food for other creatures.

Giant Centipede - found more in the surrounding woodlands, and hunted by the giant boars, etc.... for food. They are also known to infest giant beaver dams and consume the pulpy wood.

Giant Owl & Eagle - found more in the surrounding mountains and flying into the kaaya'yeeda to feed. While many Minnenewah tribes dream of taming these creatures, actually doing so is little heard of. Unhatched eggs of such creatures are the presents that are meant for the leaders of Minnenewah tribes, and doing so brings great honor and respect, especially in peace negotiations. Purchasing brides with unhatched eggs amongst the Minnenewah are also seen to be points of pride. The Poscadari elves however are known to have dozens of giant eagle mounts, allowing them to traverse the continent swiftly as needed. Some even say that they actively seek out Minnenewah who have taken on fledgling giant eagles and owls and steal these from them, such that what was a source of pride can quickly become a sign of weakness or even death.

Owlbears and Winged Owlbears - Found more in the surrounding forests, but venturing onto the kaaya'yeeda to feed, these monstrosities are vicious and savage. The Urskan bear folk in particular seek to gather unhatched eggs of both types, and they often train these creatures as mounts.

Giant Poisonous Snake - giant rattlesnakes, giant water moccasins, coral snakes, copperheads, etc... are found throughout the area. They are both predator and prey in the kaaya'yeeda. Their skins are often taken and used to make decorative leather vests, pants, hats, and boots. Their venom glands are taken for the express purpose of making poisons. Their fangs are often used to make weapons, particularly using hishna magics, and whole skeletons are not unheard of as being turned into constructs using hishna crafting. Rattlesnake tails are used to make "maraccas" used by bards and other musicians.

Giant Vulture - from 5e monster manual. a common site circling the kaaya'yeeda, this eater of the dead often "cleans" the remains left over from the attacks of other members of

giant weasel and skunk - weasel is from 5e monster manual. These are predators for things like centipedes, fish, etc... but they're also prey for giant owls that patrol the sky at night.

giant rabbit - filling a similar role as food, these creatures flood the kaaya'yeeda AND the surrounding woods. The kercpa also like to capture these size small creatures (they stand between 3 to 4 feet tall) and use them as mounts.

hook horrors - found in the underdark beneath the kaaya'yeeda, these monstrosities, believed to be a creation of the Aearee, often exit the underdark to hunt the surface for food out of desperation.

hippogriffs - nesting amongst the hills of the Kaaya'yeeda, the creatures are believed to be a blessing of Epona. They are also a favored creature to be hunted, either for food by the wild animals or hunters who seek flying mounts.

Rocs- coming from the surrounding mountains similar to the giant eagles and owls, these predators hunt the kaaya'yeeda for food. However, there are occasionally dragons known to appear over the Kaaya'yeeda, and the rocs in particular are unafraid to turn on and hunt dragons in turn, particularly younger and smaller dragons to prevent them growing large enough to become a threat.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 14 Sep 2019 15:39:03
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  13:30:43  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A different continent, but I've always liked this idea and it could be done in Kaaya'yeeda
https://www.thoughtco.com/mammoth-bone-dwellings-houses-169539

Can we give this part of the world a bit of a 10,000 BC feel?

Ha major beaver damns should be on the map because they will seriously change the landscapes. They will create vast wetlands as a side effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLBXb1kgMo

besides a cheap place to put a classic canadian song, it should be a place of giant mosquitos and dragonflies

I stand by that Moose are aberrations if we had any in the real world. They are aquatic (and have this tendency to pop out of the water in a manner that would make jason vorhees proud), double back when resting (following a trail allows them to see you coming), and have prehensile noses.

Glyptodont are the mammal version of an Ankylosaurus. They have a spiked wrecking ball at the end of their tails.

Giant Turtles always makes me want to rationalize the pc race toritles in some fashion, but that might be a step too far.

bringing in another insane megafauna: the terminator pig
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entelodont

the provincial museum of alberta has a collection of mammal skeletons on display. this might help.
https://youtu.be/1lvBqtFlys4?t=75

Royal Tyrrel museum of Palentology - warning almost an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsxtXF1TWoI

Okay this is an experiment

I'm mixing a few cultures to make a fictional north west coast society.

https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000Z4EUgTTriG8/s/750/750/Raven-Bill-Reid-VAN-1428.jpg

Salit Federacy
Population: about 30,000 inhabitants, mostly Minnenewah, but also includes allied Algathi, Darfellan and Humans.
Government: Council of the Salit (inter-tribal selected council); Otherwise elected village councils for day to day affairs. Wealth by clan determine power within the society.
Religion: Spirit worship.
Main Import: Obsidian, Metal
Main Exports: Fish, Furs, Timber
Alignment: NG, N, LN

Overview: This territory is so abundant with game that the people of this region are sedentary foragers.

Life and Society:
There are two main Moieties of Minnenewah that claim ancestry from either the Raven or the Thunderbird. While they intermarry often, the children favor one side or the other in terms of spiritual connection. These families usually live in long cedar longhouses. Family lines are traced through the Mother's side.

Blanket are used as a baseline of currency.
They have recently introduced a more universal currency called the copper shield. These are colored pieces of metal worth about 1 gp in equivelence.

The are known for their use of Totem Poles. These contain allied spirits and range in use as defences, record keeping and memorials. If you find a Totem pole out in the middle of nowhere in the Salit Federacy, it is most likely a banished spirit and should be left alone.

Large Cedar Canoes are used for going down the west coast.

Major Geographical Features:

This entire territory is centered around an inland sea and stretches up to the coastline. It is surrounded by a mountain chain.

Important Sites:

Vankoga
This location was selected to be the main location of trade and outside contact within the kingdom and is located where the river meets the sea. What started as a longhouse with representatives from each location has become one of the more culturally diverse towns on the west coast. Several Longhouses have been setup as boarding houses to allow visitors somewhere to stay. It is also the homeplace of the Intertribal council of Salit.

Comrix:
Located on a nearby island, this is essentially boot camp for adult males in the area to be trained to be warriors. It is essentially a place where these brave people get sorted into the proper secret society.

Jimmy's Reach:
This is a logging village where logs are floated to get processed. It is controled by the Raven family and they are always hiring adventurers to get "stragglers."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENMOwXwRTZU

(this may have been an influence) :p

Shark House:
This underwater coastal city just off the west coast is the home of the Darellans. They entered the alliance after a small group of exiles ended up here after their people got masacred by the Sauhagin. The "blackfish men" are considered spirits of the sea by the surface dwellers.

Stanley Grove:
While the Algathi are part of this alliance, they prefer to be left alone and generally stay in the woods. When they do wish to make contact, they send their representative to Stanley Grove, a primal circle of huge cedar trees that sends a message to Vankoga so they can send a deligate.

Regional History:
The two main Moieties claim to have been freed from the spirit demi-plane by Raven during one of his more beneveloent periods. After generations of feuding, it was decided to join together and create an alliance. They invited several other witnesses that liked the idea so much that they became part of it.

Plots and Rumors:

<will insert hag info once we have decided on an explanation>

edit: sorry guys, I think I'm getting carried away. :(
I Will leave for now.

Edited by - shades of eternity on 14 Sep 2019 16:38:00
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  15:54:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I like that idea of a house made of mastodon bones. For that matter, a house made of a giant turtle shell might also make sense. I can see less permanent things like wagons made with a glyptotherium (i.e. kind of giant armdadillo) shell. The ivory from mastodons and sabre-tooth cats would be something traded I'm thinking. The furst from a LOT of the creatures up here would also be traded.

Agreed as well on the giant beavers making small "wetlands". I need to find some symbol in this program that I can modify its color to something odd, and or stretch it weird so that it can look like a dam. I want to just fill that area with small rivers and lakes now.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  16:12:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dire Raccoon - these should be found in the area, but they should also be found LEAVING the kaaya'yeeda and INVADING surrounding territories. They're thieves for garbage. They're vicious. They are meat eaters and may take small children. Picturing these creatures being the size of a horse.

How about, instead of dire raccoons (and the previously mentioned kercpa), combining the two? How about raccoon people? Humanoids, maybe halfling-sized but more muscular, a kind of tribal structure (I'm thinking a matriarchal one) that has other tribes as frenemies, with legends of someone (possibly an ancient wizard) who "birthed" their race. Mix it up a bit and give them all some minor spellcasting ability -- maybe they all have spells like a 1st or 2nd level wizard or cleric, with the exceptional ones having more levels in both.

This was not inspired by Groot's buddy, though the comparison is obvious. It could just as easily be another type of critter, even something like larger and more advanced kercpa.

Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  16:47:43  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Racoon people. I'm in. :)

Okay

If we go with the fire cycle I mentioned earlier, that would explain why megafauna gets driven southwards from time to time (which may or may not be tainted by the elemental plane of fire).

It also makes the giant beavers the natural firefighters of the area. One of the reasons they damn areas is to essentially control the yearly fires.

I really like the idea of the locals of Kaaya'yeeda being a mix of Cree, that mastadon using slavic culture and the french voyager traders.

So they essentially hunt and trap megafauna, live in the remains and create canoes from their animal parts to go southward to trade (and to avoid fires during the summer).

Hell they may might have even domesticated some of the smaller megafauna or two (such as dirktooth cats)

any critters that 1. would come from the elemental plane of fire to gum up everything? and 2. perhistoric life that would be neat integrating into a culture?

Edited by - shades of eternity on 14 Sep 2019 19:31:32
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  18:10:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the "great bear fiend" that is the inspiration for "Growling Falls" (which comes from the original City of Gold, and is carried into the Anchorome Campaign Guide).

Here's the original text
The roaring bellow of the 200 foot waterfall, is said by local storytellers to be the growling of an evil bear fiend that once threatened the land. Because the monstrous bear was sired by a god who took animal form, it could not be killed. It was, however, defeated and imprisoned by an ancient hero. The Azuposi call this hero Hinchapa, and he is known to the Dog People as Incholcpa. Each people claim the hero as one of their own.

So, I'm thinking to myself "Who is the Evil Bear Fiend sired by a god who took animal form?". I'm also thinking to myself, man, I've got a bunch of bear stuff going on here too, but none of its evil... but Seethyr had an evil werebear in the Adusgi Forest long ago leading a war of "lyncanthropes against the Hairy Folk of the Forest" until Balduran and his men showed up and turned the tide by killing a bunch of lyncanthropes. So, I'm thinking... hmmm, should conflate these two somehow.

I've come up with 2 ideas, but I'm not sure which I like better. The first is that we mirror the story of Loki and the birth of Sleipnir (the multi-legged horse of Norse myth where Loki take on female horse form to lure away some giant horse from helping its master), and that this evil bear fiend is a child of "Loki"... or rather Valigor the Runt Born Giant in my metahel pantheon. This ticks off the boxes of why it might be evil and adds yet another evil child of Valigor to the world.

Second idea. This one is a little more convoluted, but it may be a better idea. The gist here is that the story of Magnaer, the son of Thoros in the Metahel Pantheon, has him "coming to the aid of Balador the werebear god when he was being attacked by Daragor the werewolf god". Magnaer saves Balador the werebear god and runs off Daragor, BUT he's bitten and infected. However, instead of him getting turned into a wolf, Balador has his daughter, Balanis, infuse her blood with Magnaer and marry him. This purifies Magnaer and gives him a bear form instead. So, how does this apply to "an evil bear fiend born of a god"? Well, what if in being "purged" the remnants... the vestige... of this evil side of Magnaer was split off. Basically think something like Eshowdow and Ubtao. This vestige.. this evil spirit.. that got split off from Magnaer is still around, but now its trapped in the falls. Somehow long ago it was in the Adusgi leading a lyncanthrope war, and maybe Balduran's people trapped the spirit, which led to the "Hairy Folk of the Forest" winning free. Then at some point, it was freed again and came rampaging in the Pasocada Basin, until it was trapped in the falls "by an Azuposi or Dog man hero". This "hero" may have been aided by the spirit of Magnaer (the sane one) who wanted to see his evil side put away again.

Which one works better?

By the way, this "story" could also work with the story of the city of Yapoza, which believed that one of the "war twins" had been coming through destructively in the Pasocada basin and stopped to rest... because my mythology is that Magnaer is one of the "Thunder Twins" (representing Magni and Modi... though the war twins are different names in Azuposi legend). I wouldn't outright conflate this however, as the ideas that the war twins and their father (who is a sky god with control of thunder) match up to the metahel gods Thoros, Moedae, and Magnaer is subject to DM interpretation of the gods and great spirits.

Here's what I actually have written up for the mythology of Magnaer the Bear God (who matches to Magni for those that are Norse fans, or Magnar the Bear for Yuirwood fans)

Magnaer, Lord of Strength, one of the Thunder Twins – Magnaer is noted as being extremely strong and hairy, with great fists and an expertise in wrestling. Magnaer is often portrayed wielding a great club, Guldrasil, made of a limb of the world ash which he acquired while defending his father from demons as Thoros hung helpless. Magnaer tore the limb free in order to remove Thoros as his brother and sister held off the demon hordes. This limb is said to have absorbed the blood of his father Thoros and his grandfather Asagrimmr when both of them hung from the tree to learn of rune magics. This god is noted as having a female bear companion, Balanis, who periodically changes shape into that of a woman. It is rumored that her ability to change shape was a gift bestowed by Magnaer, and he did thereby accept the curse that he himself must periodically wander the world as a bear himself. Other stories say that Magnaer received Balanis as a bride-price for a service performed for another deity known as Father Bear or Balador, having come to Balador's aid when he was attacked by a great werewolf named Daragor. It is said in that story that Magnaer was bitten by Daragor and that Balador changed Magnaer's curse by mixing his blood with that of Balanis during their marriage ceremony. There are stories that these two did birth a race of intelligent bear folk, and nearly anytime the two of them are seen they are followed by three young, inquisitive bear cubs. Unlike his aggressive brother, Moedae, Magnaer is known for simply wanting to relax and eat, but he is always called out by foolish giants and other creatures who seek to best him in combat. He is the son of Yaernsacsa and Thoros.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  18:33:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

How about, instead of dire raccoons (and the previously mentioned kercpa), combining the two? How about raccoon people? Humanoids, maybe halfling-sized but more muscular, a kind of tribal structure (I'm thinking a matriarchal one) that has other tribes as frenemies, with legends of someone (possibly an ancient wizard) who "birthed" their race. Mix it up a bit and give them all some minor spellcasting ability -- maybe they all have spells like a 1st or 2nd level wizard or cleric, with the exceptional ones having more levels in both.

This was not inspired by Groot's buddy, though the comparison is obvious. It could just as easily be another type of critter, even something like larger and more advanced kercpa.

You know, I was seriously thinking about having raccoon people already, but I kind of felt I was going heavy on the animal people (bear folk, squirrel folk, hybsil, shatjan). I was also thinking "they'll think of rocket raccoon". I wouldn't get rid of the kercpa, as they "fit" a role as tiny tree top creatures. But I also don't see a problem with another section somewhere having raccoon people if other people don't. They could be thieving folk, untrustworthy, etc... filling the roles traditionally filled by like gnomes or halflings. This land is big, and we could fit them in near the falls of the Equuoni Geyvi river on the bottom side near the Pagunkee wood and the river. They might be friendly with the Poscadari elves and half-elves of the Pagunkee Wood, and also a thorn in the side of the people of Fort Flame AND the Minnenewah.

I wouldn't give them illusion magic per se, but is there any particular low power magics that might make them a bit more trickster like? Maybe even some kind of druidic magic? Or maybe it would be better to give them skills and abilities inclined towards being a rogue.

As to worship, they might revere Chiktikka Fastpaws and his "companion" Baervan Wildwanderer (a gnomish deity of nature but who is a bit reckless and kind of thieving).

You know, its funny, one of the things Seethyr used as a saying is that the Alaghi and their Umpleby allies are called "the Hairy Folk of the Forest".... it occurs to me that that could extend to all these creatures (bear folk, hybsil, shatjan, kercpa, raccoon people, alaghi, umpleby, etc...).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  21:15:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's different ways you could do the magic... Give them all cantrips, for one. Or make it so that one gender does cantrips and 1st level arcane spells, and the other gender does orisons and 1st level divine spells. Or let it be random. Maybe 60% of them, both genders, are arcane, 30% are divine, and 10% do both. Or it's 45/45/10. I'm not sure which approach I like better.

Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  03:05:09  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the "great bear fiend" that is the inspiration for "Growling Falls" (which comes from the original City of Gold, and is carried into the Anchorome Campaign Guide).

Here's the original text
The roaring bellow of the 200 foot waterfall, is said by local storytellers to be the growling of an evil bear fiend that once threatened the land. Because the monstrous bear was sired by a god who took animal form, it could not be killed. It was, however, defeated and imprisoned by an ancient hero. The Azuposi call this hero Hinchapa, and he is known to the Dog People as Incholcpa. Each people claim the hero as one of their own.

So, I'm thinking to myself "Who is the Evil Bear Fiend sired by a god who took animal form?". I'm also thinking to myself, man, I've got a bunch of bear stuff going on here too, but none of its evil... but Seethyr had an evil werebear in the Adusgi Forest long ago leading a war of "lyncanthropes against the Hairy Folk of the Forest" until Balduran and his men showed up and turned the tide by killing a bunch of lyncanthropes. So, I'm thinking... hmmm, should conflate these two somehow.

I've come up with 2 ideas, but I'm not sure which I like better. The first is that we mirror the story of Loki and the birth of Sleipnir (the multi-legged horse of Norse myth where Loki take on female horse form to lure away some giant horse from helping its master), and that this evil bear fiend is a child of "Loki"... or rather Valigor the Runt Born Giant in my metahel pantheon. This ticks off the boxes of why it might be evil and adds yet another evil child of Valigor to the world.

Second idea. This one is a little more convoluted, but it may be a better idea. The gist here is that the story of Magnaer, the son of Thoros in the Metahel Pantheon, has him "coming to the aid of Balador the werebear god when he was being attacked by Daragor the werewolf god". Magnaer saves Balador the werebear god and runs off Daragor, BUT he's bitten and infected. However, instead of him getting turned into a wolf, Balador has his daughter, Balanis, infuse her blood with Magnaer and marry him. This purifies Magnaer and gives him a bear form instead. So, how does this apply to "an evil bear fiend born of a god"? Well, what if in being "purged" the remnants... the vestige... of this evil side of Magnaer was split off. Basically think something like Eshowdow and Ubtao. This vestige.. this evil spirit.. that got split off from Magnaer is still around, but now its trapped in the falls. Somehow long ago it was in the Adusgi leading a lyncanthrope war, and maybe Balduran's people trapped the spirit, which led to the "Hairy Folk of the Forest" winning free. Then at some point, it was freed again and came rampaging in the Pasocada Basin, until it was trapped in the falls "by an Azuposi or Dog man hero". This "hero" may have been aided by the spirit of Magnaer (the sane one) who wanted to see his evil side put away again.

Which one works better?

By the way, this "story" could also work with the story of the city of Yapoza, which believed that one of the "war twins" had been coming through destructively in the Pasocada basin and stopped to rest... because my mythology is that Magnaer is one of the "Thunder Twins" (representing Magni and Modi... though the war twins are different names in Azuposi legend). I wouldn't outright conflate this however, as the ideas that the war twins and their father (who is a sky god with control of thunder) match up to the metahel gods Thoros, Moedae, and Magnaer is subject to DM interpretation of the gods and great spirits.

Here's what I actually have written up for the mythology of Magnaer the Bear God (who matches to Magni for those that are Norse fans, or Magnar the Bear for Yuirwood fans)

Magnaer, Lord of Strength, one of the Thunder Twins – Magnaer is noted as being extremely strong and hairy, with great fists and an expertise in wrestling. Magnaer is often portrayed wielding a great club, Guldrasil, made of a limb of the world ash which he acquired while defending his father from demons as Thoros hung helpless. Magnaer tore the limb free in order to remove Thoros as his brother and sister held off the demon hordes. This limb is said to have absorbed the blood of his father Thoros and his grandfather Asagrimmr when both of them hung from the tree to learn of rune magics. This god is noted as having a female bear companion, Balanis, who periodically changes shape into that of a woman. It is rumored that her ability to change shape was a gift bestowed by Magnaer, and he did thereby accept the curse that he himself must periodically wander the world as a bear himself. Other stories say that Magnaer received Balanis as a bride-price for a service performed for another deity known as Father Bear or Balador, having come to Balador's aid when he was attacked by a great werewolf named Daragor. It is said in that story that Magnaer was bitten by Daragor and that Balador changed Magnaer's curse by mixing his blood with that of Balanis during their marriage ceremony. There are stories that these two did birth a race of intelligent bear folk, and nearly anytime the two of them are seen they are followed by three young, inquisitive bear cubs. Unlike his aggressive brother, Moedae, Magnaer is known for simply wanting to relax and eat, but he is always called out by foolish giants and other creatures who seek to best him in combat. He is the son of Yaernsacsa and Thoros.

Man both are really good ideas so pulling out a shiny coin.

k heads, going with 1. :)

As for raccoons as viable pcs, time for some more Canadana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c7m-EhQhFU

:D

Edited by - shades of eternity on 15 Sep 2019 03:08:46
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  08:17:45  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or maybe hengeyokai?

quote:

One great related myth was the "piasa bird." Apparently Europeans observed some rock paintings of a creature known as the water panther (mishipeshu) and completely misunderstood the drawings thinking them to be a man-eating bird. One of the explorers wrote an early horror story about this "piasa bird" that scared the crap out of other explorers.

Fun. And points at a good area to use. The "Unreliable Narrator" thing is very much present in Realmslore, so "foreigners had things mixed up terribly, this led to more confusion" is very much in the spirit thereof.

quote:

I like the idea of the hags that are using a flying means to get around, and I really think you have an opening here. Roc though is too "noble".

Which also allows to involve yet another participant. If some djinn heard about this, perhaps they'd want to stop it.
But a head-on attack is not their style, also they are restricted by reluctance to do anything that could harm the roc.
Which adds one or more disguised genies hanging around, plotting against these hags and manipulating the ins to this end.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  15:21:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Thanks, I still have the original cd somewhere, but where do you get the patches?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/ex20020218a

Hey, I just realized you had posted this link to where the files were, and I see the update files... and I am installing them now. Just in case I overlook something, did this actually go more than rough outlines into the rest of the world (and did it even show the rest of the world?

Hmm, and apparently it did give basically the scholar's view. Delving more..... oh wow, granted, I know this is 18 years old, but I hadn't realized how much more detail of a look my map I am creating has compared to this FR interactive atlas version. Granted, the power of my PC now versus my PC in 2001 is light years different.

So, my version, I have a LOT more islands off the coast of Anchorome, and I'm making some of them a lot bigger (I've got one island about the size of 25% of the size of Evermeet up near Anchorome's northern leg (maybe a little smaller than Nimbral), and 5 or 6 more that are maybe 10% of the size of Evermeet, and then dozens that are just small, but still bigger than say Zilhatec island near Maztica... so big enough for some micro-civilizations consisting of several small villages). Granted, given the spellplague, I kind of have free rein to do so, since this FR atlas update is pre-spellplague.

BTW, thank you again for this link to this update. I don't think that the version of the FRIA that I had could expand out this far, but I may be wrong. I do note that in comparing it to the scholar's view, there's some slight differences in how some things line up that I do like (mainly, that island east of Katashaka is a little more westerly compared to a north-south line shooting towards Faerun's coastline). For a very high level comparison of what I'm doing versus what was in this, compare the below two pictures.

My version so far
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KrdAGLmWDefDRqaQy0QFp-KQIs4_OF03

a quick overview snip of that section just for comparison
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1l0h0TLxqZOAXUJXznVufcBrZsKJe068H

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 15 Sep 2019 16:14:42
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  19:10:14  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha looking at the map, there's a real north west passage.

not really as necessary in our world, but probably could be used for something.

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  23:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the OP I mentioned a possible update of the first edition adventure UK7 Dark Clouds Gather which was conveniently located on some unnamed world. It’s plot basically had some new creature called the ba’atun (looked like flying monkeys from Oz, but the really savage ones) take over a cloud giants castle and start wreaking havoc with local populations of Aarakocra and humans. The Aarakocra came to warn the humans about the incoming threat but the humans captured and were going to execute the emissary thinking it one of the “demons” that were raiding villages and such.

I’m now one piece of art away from publishing the adventure after having taken only the basic premise, some of the names and Realmsifying it to fit into Anchorome. Once the artist I commissioned finishes a “glassteel golem” image it’s going to be up, but let me talk about how I applied it to Anchorome lore.

The beginning starts similarly, but I have the PCs start in Michaca with some notes if it needs to begin somewhere else. The Guilded Priest of Michaca approaches and “hires” the PCs to check on the pueblo of Nozoma. Nozoma has had a storm lasting for many days above it, and the clouds are simply not moving. Worse yet, a priest of the War Twins has captured a demon. The guilded priest wants the players to investigate and stop any immediate threats to the relative safety of the Pasocada Basin.

At this point it follows pretty close to the original adventure in that an Aarakocra has been captured and the players need to fight a battle to prove its innocence (a trial by arms - something encouraged by the War Twin spirits).

The PCs speak with the rescued Aarakocra who tells them about the baatun. There are no cloud giants this time but rather the flying citadel is actually an aarakocran secret. It is a remnant that has survived from the time of the aearee and the Aarakocra obviously want it back.

Aided by a sunwatcher priest named Asdos, the players realize they can only get through the citadels defenses (built for withstanding dragons) if they find powerful magic to get through the black clouds.

This is where the lore really starts to fit in nicely. In UK7, there was an ancient race of humanity that inhabited the region and a powerful sorcerer named Devral had created a flying vehicle known as the skyfish that is unharmed and unaffected by strong weather. Devral, in this version, is one of the Ancient Ones - humans that had been enslaved by spellweavers and brought out of barbarism in those prehistoric days, only to escape their captors and eventually destroy themselves.

The PCs find the skyfish and target a specific portion of the citadel in order to shut down the defenses. At this point, aarakocran armies attack (wyvern riders, roc riders and all).

I really try to introduce a ton of new aearee lore here, much of which I learned from Gray Richardson’s scrolls. I also get to explore the Ancient Ones and understand a little more of what they behaved like.

Anyway, it’s driving me crazy that the adventure is done and I’m still waiting for artwork! I really want to publish.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  02:19:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A skyfish….. that's kind of funny to me considering what I was describing the glassteel spelljamming/skyship vessels looking like (with the ability to take down makes and raise a roof and having fluke-like fins at the back). Granted, I was doing those as spellweaver vessels, but they may have copied Aearee vessels or somesuch if what you're talking about looks similar. But looking at a copy of UK7, it would seem to be more of a stingray shape (but then you aren't copying that book). If you did though, it might be interesting if both types of ships were actually copies from batrachi design stolen/adapted by later cultures.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 16 Sep 2019 02:23:33
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  02:49:44  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look forward to the sky castle adventure. :)

Question

Is there a badlands like location in Anchorome?

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  03:40:26  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I look forward to the sky castle adventure. :)

Question

Is there a badlands like location in

I believe that’s exactly the word that FMQ1 City of Gold used to describe where the thri-kreen live in the Land of the Insect Men.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  04:10:36  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha that could work.

This is one of the more interesting events in history and love to do a forgotten realm version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_Wars

Two museums essentially went to war over bones and pulled a ton of dirty, dirty shenanigans.

Is it possible to have two foreign necromancers fighting over remains/artifacts that the Thri-kreen are sitting on (possibly from one of those ancient civilizations).

Edited by - shades of eternity on 16 Sep 2019 04:34:52
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  12:37:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ha that could work.

This is one of the more interesting events in history and love to do a forgotten realm version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_Wars

Two museums essentially went to war over bones and pulled a ton of dirty, dirty shenanigans.

Is it possible to have two foreign necromancers fighting over remains/artifacts that the Thri-kreen are sitting on (possibly from one of those ancient civilizations).

If the necromancers in question were looking for a means to find say spellweaver remains and then raise up said spellweavers to get their secrets from them, I could see it. One thing I would recommend in this situation would be that these spellweavers not even be from the same cultures though, so as to not too closely mirror our real world. The one thing I'd say we really need to be wary of is mirroring our real world too much. That's why people got turned off by Maztica, and its also one of the reasons if you listen to Ed that he won't embrace Kara-Tur or Maztica, but he will embrace Zakhara. In saying that, I'm not saying that's what I'm seeing happening, I'm just wanting to point out that its something that needs to stay in our heads.

When it comes to the idea of necromancers digging into ruins for spellweaver lore, look into what Seethyr is doing with the land of the insect men already. Jergal has some involvement. I would recommend introducing the Nagpa (as seen in Mord's Tome of Foes) into Anchorome as well (noting, I would personally have the Nagpa as having found ways of "reproducing".... as in making simulacrum of itself, occupying the bodies of others from afar, possibly riding the body of dead things, etc... Also possibly they've more literally found a way to spawn, via uncovering Aearee lore. Thus, there may be this Nagpa that found a way to mate with an Aearee, and thus there are lesser versions of Nagpa running around. To note, I'm not trying to mix up this Nagpa with the idea of a "skeksi like Aearee", as the Nagpa are decided vulture looking … whereas the Skeksi look more of a dragon/vulture hybrid.

Oh, and the reason I mention the Nagpa is because of their curse

Looters of Civilization. The curse the Raven Queen placed on the nagpas restricts the ways in which they can acquire new lore and magical power, barring them from any source except for the ruins left behind from fallen civilizations and great calamities . For this reason, nagpas turn their efforts to bringing a bout such ends, so they can loot the libraries, plunder the vaults, and gather up secrets of arcane lore from the wreckage.

Note, involving the "Raven Queen" in Anchorome long ago is something that we should think through. I say this because we have some interesting things going on regarding Ravens. We have the Great Raven Spirit. We have Shakak, the spirit of Winter, who is related to magpies and a link to ravens. When one looks at the Raven Queen, she was a goddess of winter with ties to ravens. One could say that Shakak IS the Raven Queen, but I feel that's a bit of a cop out. I'd more prefer it that Shakak once loved the raven queen and they had a falling out.

Now, who is Shakak? Part of me would like to equate him to Ulutiu, because it would fit. Part of me would like to equate him to being a totally independent great spirit or primordial entity. However, what if Shakak and Tarsellis Meunniduin are related? Tarsellis is noted as having long ago allied with a fey goddess who betrayed him named Megwandir (who some believe was Lolth, but the original article specifically calls this into question).

If we did this concept, I would very much recommend building on the idea that Markustay had come up with a few years back of "the regalia of winter" and the Queen of Air And Darkness. To put it succinctly, the idea here is that the Queen of Air and Darkness put forth items that "turn" beings to serve her. Thus, there is an equating more than one goddess to the QoA&D (which may be why her throne is seen as a vast empty space filled with malevolence). Auril may be one aspect. So might the raven queen. So might Ereshkigal. So might Hela. So might Shar. In the same breath, it may also affect men as well. One might be able to overcome this darkness. Thus, the necklace that Ulutiu wears may be a similar thing.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  02:15:55  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tried to take your ideas on the earthmote and apply a lot of what you wanted to into its story in a cohesive whole. I am thinking of making it just an encounter setting with some possible adventure hooks, but I can't really tell if it is working. The working title is the "Twisted Sky Forest." This is what I have written about the backstory so far...

quote:

Origin of a Floating Wood

While earthmotes may have become a common sight in the days and years immediately following the Spellplague, they have existed for a far longer time than just the past century.

Earthmotes have a variety of origins and the story of the Skyforest is one of the most ancient. The mote itself is all that remains of one of the fabled flying forests of the aearee creator race.

Over 30,000 years ago, aearee druids learned to mix powerful rune magic with silviculture (the art and science of growing trees) in order to raise their forests high above the world. Though it’s original name is lost to time, the Skyforest was once one of these great forests. At the time it was far grander in size, because after tens of thousands of years of history, wars and world shaking events, great dearths of the mote have been ripped from the sky. Now, the floating island stands only at roughly two miles wide. It is still an impressive sight when its shadow passes over, but it is nothing like the great forests of the Days of Thunder.

It is believed that it was during the first Rage of Dragons that its avian inhabitants were destroyed and there is no knowledge of its location or ownership for thousands of years afterward. Likely, the dragons themselves resided upon their conquered earthmote. The cloud giantess Taaganti of Beddingmark Mountain tells stories of her people’s battles against dragons and the tales describe a lair much like the Skyforest. The dragons used the floating island as a staging ground for attacks against the giants’ own floating castles. This strategic positioning countered the advantage of mobility and perspective held by the children of Annam in their war of attrition.

After the Thousand Year War of Ostoria, the Skystone was abandoned and wandered slowly and aimlessly for many centuries. It flew to distant shores until it once again became occupied. This time, in what might have been the early days of of the Land of Fate, a nest of two-headed rocs made the Skyforest their home.

The rocs roosted in the titanic trees that had somehow withstood the millennia and at least a half dozen successive generations of the massive birds used it to breed and stage hunts in surrounding lands. The rocs were incapable of directing the earthmote’s movements however, and chance eventually led the earthmote to regions too far north for the rocs’ comfort. Once again it was abandoned.

The elves of the frozen north who were the forebears of the Poscadari were the next to observe the floating island. They had no means nor desire to approach it, yet they wrote of its appearance. The snow elves marveled at the blotting out of the sun that lasted for weeks as the earthmote lazily drifted by. Despite the frozen climate, the trees managed to survive and the few pines actually thrived.

Eventually the Skyforest drifted southward once again until it was found by exploring arcanists from the Empire of Netheril. A floating island was surprising to the arcanists because in their arrogance, they truly believed that only their empire had conceived of such magic. The Netherese investigated and briefly settled upon the flying island only to be slain by the Great Snail Dragon, Kci Athussos during one of his awakenings.

Beside their corpses, the Great Beast laid dozens of eggs and to this day it’s spawn, the dreaded wiwilomeq snail infests the forest and its gargantuan trees. It was rumored that the Snail Dragon itself spent one of its longest hibernations here upon the mote alongside dozens of its spawn.

While Kci Athussos eventually moved on, many of his spawn remained behind. Perhaps it is part of their physiology, or perhaps the magic of the earthmote has somehow seeped into their being, but the original snails remain today. Efforts to eradicate them have always met with failure.

Now where am I going with this? Well, tbh I am not entirely sure. I was planning on writing a recent part of the history where alaghi weave massive ropes from the hair of their umpleby allies and tie down the floating island above the Adusgi Forest. These alaghi are eventually corrupted by two hag sisters (new annis-like hags from Native American myth known as Hisshishtawia) until they become shampe (an evil cannibalistic bigfoot like creature, again from myth).

I got a hold of some awesome maps that I am allowed to use and have been wanting to for some time - a giant empty skull-like structure, and a similarly built stone hand. I figured one could work for each sister (who I named Chilam (Snowbird) and the younger Chimalis (Bluebird)).

Is this getting too absurd?

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 17 Sep 2019 02:16:30
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  02:43:39  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If we did this concept, I would very much recommend building on the idea that Markustay had come up with a few years back of "the regalia of winter" and the Queen of Air And Darkness. To put it succinctly, the idea here is that the Queen of Air and Darkness put forth items that "turn" beings to serve her. Thus, there is an equating more than one goddess to the QoA&D (which may be why her throne is seen as a vast empty space filled with malevolence). Auril may be one aspect. So might the raven queen. So might Ereshkigal. So might Hela. So might Shar. In the same breath, it may also affect men as well. One might be able to overcome this darkness. Thus, the necklace that Ulutiu wears may be a similar thing.

We can go with Nagpa as the underruins, where a Halruaan and a Thayan necromancer fight over the remains and curse gives it a real "the Mummy" feel.

I completely approve with the concept and really enjoy your expansion.

quote:

Now where am I going with this? Well, tbh I am not entirely sure. I was planning on writing a recent part of the history where alaghi weave massive ropes from the hair of their umpleby allies and tie down the floating island above the Adusgi Forest. These alaghi are eventually corrupted by two hag sisters (new annis-like hags from Native American myth known as Hisshishtawia) until they become shampe (an evil cannibalistic bigfoot like creature, again from myth).

I got a hold of some awesome maps that I am allowed to use and have been wanting to for some time - a giant empty skull-like structure, and a similarly built stone hand. I figured one could work for each sister (who I named Chilam (Snowbird) and the younger Chimalis (Bluebird)).

Is this getting too absurd?

You're asking the wrong person. I feed off absurdity as shown by pretty much the majority of my material.

You managed to write in a snail dragon. :D

it sounds fantastic. :)

Edited by - shades of eternity on 17 Sep 2019 02:46:27
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  03:36:51  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YMMV, but I always saw Eresh and Nergal as deities just doing their job and not really being Cackles von Babyeater. Admittedly, this is probably due to the mythical deities being stars of an ancient romantic comedy.

Ea: "Kay, while you're in the underworld, don't eat, drink, bathe, or bang Ereshkigal, and you're good to go."
Nergal: "Is that all? Sounds easy."

*in the underworld*

Nergal: "Helloooooo hotness!"
Ereshkigal: "Namtar, cancel all my appointments for the next week."

*in Heaven*

Ea: "GODDAMMIT NERGAL!"

Edited by - LordofBones on 17 Sep 2019 03:37:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic