Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Questions about Iyachtu Xvim post-1372
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  03:20:58  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The insidiousness of Bane is that he's convinced Chauntea as long as he's in charge of the universe, people everywhere will eat their sprouts and like them.

Or else.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  03:41:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The insidiousness of Bane is that he's convinced Chauntea as long as he's in charge of the universe, people everywhere will eat their sprouts and like them.

Or else.

Of course, it's only due to Leira's illusions that people even think sprouts are edible...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Jun 2021 03:49:55
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  08:41:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Xvim was still worshiped in Phlan in the 15th century. They called the god Bane, but the iconography, rituals, priesthood, etc. were all that of Xvimlar clergy.

They only paid a nominal tribute to the orthodox Church of Bane in Mulmaster to avoid being branded as heretics.

"The priests of the Lyceum of the Black Lord in Phlan subscribe to the heresy that Bane was utterly destroyed by Torm during the Time of Troubles. The being they worship as Bane today, the heretical priests say, is in fact none other than the Godson of Bane, Iyachtu Xvim, having adopted his father’s name to more quickly achieve the status and power of a greater god." -Monument of the Ancients, Dungeon Magazine #170

Holy carp! My theory has official backing!

(Obviously, I'm not saying this proves my theory -- it does not. It just adds another layer of proof.)

I guess Brian R. James threw you a bone Wooly.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 26 Jun 2021 08:42:00
Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2021 :  20:27:10  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Xvim was still worshiped in Phlan in the 15th century. They called the god Bane, but the iconography, rituals, priesthood, etc. were all that of Xvimlar clergy.

They only paid a nominal tribute to the orthodox Church of Bane in Mulmaster to avoid being branded as heretics.

"The priests of the Lyceum of the Black Lord in Phlan subscribe to the heresy that Bane was utterly destroyed by Torm during the Time of Troubles. The being they worship as Bane today, the heretical priests say, is in fact none other than the Godson of Bane, Iyachtu Xvim, having adopted his father’s name to more quickly achieve the status and power of a greater god." -Monument of the Ancients, Dungeon Magazine #170

Holy carp! My theory has official backing!

(Obviously, I'm not saying this proves my theory -- it does not. It just adds another layer of proof.)

Iyachtu Xvim was also posing as Bane when he whispered to Teldorn Darkhope to conquer Mintar in 1362.

In Empires of the Shining Sea, On Page 155, the first paragraph after "Notable Clergy and Churches" it says "The Temple of the Dark Lord, the temple at which Teldorn Darkhope received the visions that launched him on his schemes of conquest. Unknown to Darkhope, it was not Bane who was whispering tales of conquest and reward into his ears--it was actually Iyachtu Xvim, the Godson of Bane. Darkhope remains unaware of the deception to this day, but he suspects Bane may not be of the pawer he once was."

This definitely sets the precedent that Xvim is not above pretending to be his father in effort to further his own cause. Xvim may not have intended for Teldorn to believe he was Bane when whispering into his ear but he seems to have just ran with it after seeing how much fervor he created with in Teldorn and how effectively he was in conquering Mintar. Also, I find it interesting that Teldorn started his conquest of Mintar on Midwinter night, 1362, and Bane supposedly returned on Midwinter night, 1372.
Go to Top of Page

redking
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2021 :  13:18:48  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xvim is Bane. Bane is Xvim. Wooly Rupert is almost certainly correct. The 'return' of Bane makes no sense. Ao himself made sure that Bane would not return.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2021 :  13:44:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redking

Xvim is Bane. Bane is Xvim. Wooly Rupert is almost certainly correct. The 'return' of Bane makes no sense. Ao himself made sure that Bane would not return.

The more bits and pieces I find, the more I'm convinced that my theory was what the designers of the time intended. The Teldorn Darkhope info goes back to 2E, so the groundwork for this was laid a while ago.

Unfortunately, the current designers don't seem to have paid any attention to things like that, and their "All* the deities are back!" stance is just horribly problematic, even disregarding the Xvim/Bane thing.

I put that asterisk there because "all" clearly has not meant every prior deity, and apparently not even all of those that fell during the ToT.

Go to Top of Page

redking
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2021 :  14:43:06  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sudden return of Bane was most unwelcome. If this Bane is actually Xvim, it makes a lot of sense. You could even have a situation where 'Bane is Xvim' is a secret teaching of the contemporary Banite Church, with the highest ranks of the clergy let in on the secret that Bane is secretly the Godson.
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2021 :  14:47:05  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cloak & Dagger is really the only product that details Xvim’s clergy after the re-establishment of the church as an heir to Bane and rival to Cyric for that title.

There were so many great hooks and plots developed—thoughtfully—that seemingly got flushed with the 3E FRCS. Instead of developing the ideas laid out further, most were discarded and completely unexpected things tossed out, like the sudden rise of Sharran cults and a returned Netheril (consisting of Shades no less.)

There is definitely a method you could see to have Bane return based on some of the actions that are described in C&D, especially the slaying of the banelich by Fzoul and absorbing the powers, which we know are actually aspects of Bane that were bestowed into the banelichs. That we never got even a basic metaphysical reasoning for the return of Bane seems pretty weak.
Go to Top of Page

redking
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2021 :  14:56:54  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nblanton

Cloak & Dagger is really the only product that details Xvim’s clergy after the re-establishment of the church as an heir to Bane and rival to Cyric for that title.

There were so many great hooks and plots developed—thoughtfully—that seemingly got flushed with the 3E FRCS.

Cloak & Dagger was great. Its a real shame that the plot hooks never got developed. I was left scratching my head when 3E came around.

quote:

That we never got even a basic metaphysical reasoning for the return of Bane seems pretty weak.

Yes. No explanation at all.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2021 :  15:45:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There were so many great hooks and plots developed—thoughtfully—that seemingly got flushed with the 3E FRCS. Instead of developing the ideas laid out further, most were discarded and completely unexpected things tossed out, like the sudden rise of Sharran cults and a returned Netheril (consisting of Shades no less.)

There is definitely a method you could see to have Bane return based on some of the actions that are described in C&D, especially the slaying of the banelich by Fzoul and absorbing the powers, which we know are actually aspects of Bane that were bestowed into the banelichs. That we never got even a basic metaphysical reasoning for the return of Bane seems pretty weak.

The current thing, with the Dead Three "choosing" to be weaker avatars instead of more powerful deities, just doesn't make sense to me. That's why I think they -- and perhaps others of the supposedly returned deities -- didn't actually return as deities. I think they were given a choice to serve the current holder of their former portfolio in a reduced capacity, or to be an independent avatar with a possibility of re-ascending if they earn it.

Bane, with his gig being the ultimate tyrant, wasn't about to serve someone else, so he opted for the latter. And since he isn't about to let on that he's anything less than all that, he claims it was all some plot on his part.

Of course, that's just my spin to have something resembling a reasonable explanation. Nothing in current lore (such as it is) supports it, and I fully expect the current design team to do something to invalidate it.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2021 :  15:45:17  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The current thing, with the Dead Three "choosing" to be weaker avatars instead of more powerful deities, just doesn't make sense to me.

It's been implied by designers on social media that all three are being manipulated by Jergal somehow.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2021 :  17:45:42  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's been implied by designers on social media that all three are being manipulated by Jergal somehow.

I take this as Ed Greenwood trying to make sense of an utterly stupid plot.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2021 :  20:40:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The current thing, with the Dead Three "choosing" to be weaker avatars instead of more powerful deities, just doesn't make sense to me.

Jergal would have to be the greatest manipulator that ever lived if he convinced the self-proclaimed ultimate tyrant that dramatically weakening himself was a good idea.

I mean sure, it's possible Jergal is playing some game, but I don't think we can say this avatar shtick is his fault.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000