Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Mages And Sages Podcast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2019 :  18:18:30  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I can still ask about Cormyr;

Vangerdahast has always intrigued me. Besides his family history, what kept him so loyal to Crown & Country? Surely from studying with Elminster, Mystra could have offered him silverfire to be like any of her other agents. What drives(drove?) his singlemindness concerning the health of Cormyr?
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2019 :  08:47:14  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question for Ed or anyone else that wants to give it a shot, during my campaigns I find myself wanting to use some sayings that come from my national/city/generational background but they would be completely out-of-context in the Realms, so I wonder what would be the Realms (or regional) equivalents of the following sayings:

- "To lit up like a Christmas tree" (usually when talking about unknown pieces of technological equipment, like in "I don't know what it does, I just pushed this button and it lit up like a Christmas tree but it's not doing anything", in the Realms I fear it could be used in conjunction with both harmless and very deadly spells involving light, fire and pyrotechnics in general);

- "Pulcinella's secret" (something that's supposed to be secret but is now known to a lot of people, used to mock the attempts by the power that be to cover up stories);

- "Searching Mary around Rome" (meaning that you're running around and losing a lot of time trying to do something extremely difficult like searching for a specific girl with a common name in the streets of a huge city);
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2019 :  16:11:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been pondering the ghazneths of Cormyr, recently -- particularly the fact that while all are considered to have betrayed Cormyr, some of those betrayals are far worse than others, and some are so minor it's begs the question of why another betrayer wasn't selected.

Luthax and Ryndala Merendil both tried to assassinate their respective kings. This is unarguably a betrayal of Cormyr... But they're not the only nobles/titled persons to have done so. Why did some of the others who committed similar acts not become ghazneths?

Melineth Turcassan attempted to sell Suzail, and that's certainly a betrayal -- but I'd personally consider that one at least one step down from assassinating the king.

Xanthon Cormaeril didn't seem to do that much against Cormyr; it was his cousin who would have been the better candidate for ghazneth-hood. Krash's write-up of the Lalya Maurhshanta does explain Xanthon's "promotion" though I'd argue that there were more viable candidates.

Boldovar was mad. A lot of his actions were certainly not to Cormyr's benefit, but one has to consider that most of the other ghazneths were apparently of sound mind when they betrayed the kingdom, and Boldovar was certainly not in his right mind. It seems that his betrayals weren't deliberate, like some of the others.

Rowen Cormaeril didn't follow orders, but as I recall, he was still acting to protect the Obarskyr family -- which included his wife! -- and became a ghazneth for it. This, to me, is very questionable.

And the most questionable one of all is the first ghazneth, Suzara Obarskyr. She didn't betray the kingdom of Cormyr -- there was no kingdom for her to betray! It was barely a village. And she wasn't even acting against that village -- she was unhappy enough to leave her husband and family and go home.

So I guess the question is why some of these betrayers were selected over others.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2019 :  08:55:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no easy answer to your question. In reality there is no good answer to your question. Troy's efforts in respect of the ghazneth concept were not stellar. So many, many holes. My Lalya Maurshanta was an attempt to fix those holes as best as I could come up with. I was happy with it - within its limitations brought about by the confused and illogical prose regarding those creatures.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

muir
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2019 :  03:03:33  Show Profile Send muir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the topic of future guests, has anyone suggested Jeff Grubb? I think 'twould be most interesting to hear his side of porting the Realms to the published version.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2019 :  05:40:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by muir

On the topic of future guests, has anyone suggested Jeff Grubb? I think 'twould be most interesting to hear his side of porting the Realms to the published version.

Yes, both Jeff Grubb and Steven Schend have been mooted as future potential guests.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2019 :  16:54:18  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've really enjoyed what I have listened to so far, especially George's deep dive into Tethyamar. I'm actually going to take notes when I listen to it again.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

muir
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  20:31:25  Show Profile Send muir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question, for anyone to weigh in on, though I feel Ed may have touched on it in a scroll somewhere, I cannot find a reference:

What is the state of dental hygiene in various parts of the Realms?

Said question resulted from a discussion on what effect a Cure Disease spell would have on halitosis; sages are also welcome to weigh in on that!

Edited by - muir on 15 Sep 2019 20:36:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  02:25:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another question, for anyone to weigh in on, though I feel Ed may have touched on it in a scroll somewhere, I cannot find a reference:

Said question resulted from a discussion on what effect a Cure Disease spell would have on halitosis; sages are also welcome to weigh in on that!

Good question. I can't find anything on it in my files. Hygiene has been addressed, in general, but I can't find anything specific to oral hygiene (other than a reference to someone having all their teeth).

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  02:49:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd imagine someone's developed a necromantic spell for stealing teeth from corpses and transplanting them as replacements for a bad tooth.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2019 :  03:10:25  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So pleased with having these out there. If you are still paying attention to the Keep here, are more planned?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2019 :  04:23:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes indeed. Plenty more planned now that Ed is back on his feet and in a position to participate. Special guest stars are being sounded out as we speak.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  02:19:38  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yesssss......!

Love these chats. I almost feel like I'm at the table just listening to old friends talk of days long ago. I do hope in Brian's part 3 chat that Vangerdahast is discussed more. I like him as much more complex than the the 'harummphy!' Thunderspells persona.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2019 :  01:21:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well looks like Ed is back on deck and raring to go so Jeff Thetford has pulled out all the stops and roped in Steven Schend for some Mages and Sages goodness this weekend. Also in attendance will be Eric Boyd and if the timezones align, I'll hopefully pop in too.

So, what are you questions for this esteemed bunch (and me)?

Let us know ASAP so we can get the preparations underway.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2019 :  07:19:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still interested to know about the dragon ualintharghar, which plagued the ffolk in ages past.

I'd also like to know about animal livestock in the realms. We have the rothe and their varieties but what about the realms equivalent of sheep and goats and chickens, etc. Names would be very useful.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2019 :  22:25:11  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Races of Faerun (3rd edition) spoke of there being orog *cities* (not just settlements, but cities) in the Underdark. Are there possibly any specific orog nations/city-states that any FR designers could talk about?

Edited by - deserk on 11 Dec 2019 22:26:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2019 :  05:21:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this one floating in the ethers...

quote:
Originally posted by JEThetford

I know it is a bit of short notice, but Mages and Sages are interviewing Steven on December 14th. If you have any questions you would like us to ask, please post here or go to the Fans of Ed Greenwood Facebook page and post there. You can also email them to fansofedgreenwood@gmail.com and we will incorporate them into the podcast!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2020 :  03:41:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was listening to the most recent podcast at work today, and I was pleased to hear the response to my ghazneth inquiry. I would have loved a more concrete answer, but the collective response did give me more to ponder, at least.

And it actually gave me an idea for how to address it... What if one of the unknown variables was something like a particular bloodline, and/or exposure to a magical affect only found in one or two places? If that's the case, it wasn't just her betrayal of the Obarskyr family that caused Suzara Obarskyr to be tapped -- it was that she was the first betrayer, and that all of those tapped to become ghazneths after her were descendants or distant relations. By tapping her, it made everyone descended from her vulnerable to the same curse. Mayhaps it takes more than just her blood, but her blood is an immutable requirement.

I also find myself wondering, now, if there weren't more ghazneths -- but the others weren't found or awaken by the Lalya Maurshanta.

Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2020 :  15:19:31  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have Erin Evans on the show tonight so if you have any questions for her, please put them here or on Fans of Ed Greenwood page on FB or send to fansofedgreenwood@gmail.com

The only good Drow, is a dead Drow.

Aaomas Balkrim, Drow Hunter
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2020 :  16:45:51  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question for Erin: on a recent Dungeon Scrawlers interview (loving the stream, btw), Erin mentioned that her latest project involved Egyptian myth, if I remember correctly. She mentioned that she studied in college, I believe. So, my question is: what got her interested in Egyptian mythology?

Also, more Realms-related: if she could write in the Realms again, what would she want to write about?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2020 :  20:16:41  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if you are all still entertaining questions, but in case you are:

I was wondering if the Lizardfolk of Faerun have their own native terms to describe their race? I wouldn't imagine they would call themselves that. Also, given that Lizardfolk classically are generally neutral in terms of alignment and that they generally worship a nature-oriented deity, is there some reason for they why they aren't more visible in human cities? Are there prejudices or superstitions among human societies that bars them from "civilized society"? Are there some nations on Faerun that are more friendly and welcoming towards them than others?

Edited by - deserk on 08 Jul 2020 20:17:36
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2020 :  15:40:45  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just firing in with another query for Ed & co. Are there other aliases for certain prominent deities like e.g. Bane, Tempus, Chauntea, Silvanus, Ilmater, Sune, etc. have which are not referenced in the official sourcebooks, that the sages could talk about? Perhaps aspects that depict the deities with a different race or gender, or perhaps with a slightly different dogmatic focus than what is ordinarily depicted? For instance, it would seem likely from my point of view that the Shaaryans and Calishites, being quite culturally distinct from Chondathans would have a different name for Tempus (which I'm assuming is the Chondathan version of his name)
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2021 :  01:50:24  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So, if anyone missed it, the Mages and Sages podcast is still going strong, with their latest offering being a star-studded episode on focusing Waterdeep. (Well, maybe "focused" is too strong a word for the assembled panel, but it was definitely about Waterdeep)

There were some technical difficulties in the beginning, which are supposedly slated to be corrected when the episode is uploaded to the Youtube channel, but the majority of the broadcast (and Realmslore) can be found right now at this Twitch link. Good stuff, lots of Ed-lore. Worth a look/listen.

....also, someone tell George I was certainly not "very excited" about that Arun's Alley question, I was merely "somewhat intrigued." In a scholarly sense, you see. Reamslore and all.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Lukas Kain
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2021 :  03:06:51  Show Profile Send Lukas Kain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love what you guys are doing here. I love to pop air pods in and listen while I'm at work (when I can get away with it). Really gets me in the mood to work on my own Realms stuff, which is difficult to focus on these days. Huuuuge fan of y'all
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2021 :  07:48:20  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain

Love what you guys are doing here. I love to pop air pods in and listen while I'm at work

When I am working, a Mages and Sages podcast is the LAST thing I want to listen to. The podcast gets so interesting that I can't get any work done!

Yes I do have to work, and experience has shown that Mages and Sages is the last thing I should listen to while working.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2021 :  08:06:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

....also, someone tell George I was certainly not "very excited" about that Arun's Alley question, I was merely "somewhat intrigued." In a scholarly sense, you see. Reamslore and all.

I was going to say "obviously and clearly excited" but thought better of it ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2021 :  00:31:39  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
I was going to say "obviously and clearly excited" but thought better of it ...

-- George Krashos

Well, I guess now we know where Volo gets his slanderous tongue from!

Love all the casts, but I wish the Mages and Sages would pop a quick note here when one is coming up (I know it's on their page, I'm just not a fan of Facebook). Especially for the Q&A ones, there has to be an additional audience here that would love to interact if they knew about it.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2021 :  12:53:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking to do another Twitch chat on Friday night, 16 April 2021 - so get ready.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2021 :  12:57:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Looking to do another Twitch chat on Friday night, 16 April 2021 - so get ready.

-- George Krashos

A noted Australian conspiracy theorist, who has maps, red string, pins, and faded scraps of lore, may well try to convince us all that the Dalelands, Sembia, Jhaamdath, and Impiltur are all "connected."

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2021 :  13:35:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

-- George Krashos

A noted Australian conspiracy theorist, who has maps, red string, pins, and faded scraps of lore, may well try to convince us all that the Dalelands, Sembia, Jhaamdath, and Impiltur are all "connected."

--Eric

And they're all run by the hin shadow government known as "Halfling Inc." I've seen evidence, with my own eyes, that Corkitron Allinamuck himself was connected to the Spellplague.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000