Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Under Illefarn Anew
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2019 :  13:05:41  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
(...)it's set in spring of 1375 DR starting at 8th level. (...) I've given about 5 ways for the DM to introduce a timeshift (...), starting with the Storms of Silver Fire (...).

At the moment, it's 238 pages, but it's far from done.

--Eric

Thank you, very nice! As I said, can't wait!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2019 :  18:43:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Storms of Silver Fire, am I okay to make a squeee noise at this lore drop

Storms of Silver Fire
In the Year of the Prince (1357 DR), after discovering Laeral Silverhand in the depths of the Stronghold of Nine gripped in madness induced by the crown of horns, Khelben “Blackstaff” Arunsun confronted her and attempted to bring her back to Blackstaff Tower. The Witch-Queen of the North responded by unleashing a barrage of spells that led to a fiercesome spell-battle that raged across the southern High Forest. The Blackstaff eventually won the confrontation, but only with the help of Mystra, and Laeral was subdued.
In the wake of the spell-battle between two Chosen of Mystra, each possessed of silver fire, great damage was wrought to the southern reaches of the High Forest. Much of that damage was repaired, but the region is still afflicted with storms of silver fire, temporary wild magic zones, as detailed in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3e), page 55. There is a 1% chance each day of encountering a storm of silver fire while within the southern High Forest.
In addition, anyone employing teleportation magic (as the 5th level level spell teleport) within 50 miles of the Unicorn Run must add +25 to determine the result. Likewise, anyone employing divination magic within 50 miles of the Unicorn Run (as the 4th level spell scrying) must add +5 to the Will save modifier of the intended subject.
As discussed in the Under Illefarn Anew sidebar, page 152, one side effect of a storm of silver fire could be an inadvertent timeshift of the PCs from one time period to another.

Reference: Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, page 101.

Eric,

I bow before your awesomeness. I know I keep a lot of stuff straight in my head, but HOW THE HELL do you manage this? By Deneir's Holy Hand, the level of detail you can give AND reference.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2019 :  19:41:26  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just trying to untangle the history of the Crown of Horns (which I think I have, assuming no more authors mention it!!!!), and that little gem popped out at me.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Storms of Silver Fire, am I okay to make a squeee noise at this lore drop

Storms of Silver Fire
In the Year of the Prince (1357 DR), after discovering Laeral Silverhand in the depths of the Stronghold of Nine gripped in madness induced by the crown of horns, Khelben “Blackstaff” Arunsun confronted her and attempted to bring her back to Blackstaff Tower. The Witch-Queen of the North responded by unleashing a barrage of spells that led to a fiercesome spell-battle that raged across the southern High Forest. The Blackstaff eventually won the confrontation, but only with the help of Mystra, and Laeral was subdued.
In the wake of the spell-battle between two Chosen of Mystra, each possessed of silver fire, great damage was wrought to the southern reaches of the High Forest. Much of that damage was repaired, but the region is still afflicted with storms of silver fire, temporary wild magic zones, as detailed in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3e), page 55. There is a 1% chance each day of encountering a storm of silver fire while within the southern High Forest.
In addition, anyone employing teleportation magic (as the 5th level level spell teleport) within 50 miles of the Unicorn Run must add +25 to determine the result. Likewise, anyone employing divination magic within 50 miles of the Unicorn Run (as the 4th level spell scrying) must add +5 to the Will save modifier of the intended subject.
As discussed in the Under Illefarn Anew sidebar, page 152, one side effect of a storm of silver fire could be an inadvertent timeshift of the PCs from one time period to another.

Reference: Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, page 101.

Eric,

I bow before your awesomeness. I know I keep a lot of stuff straight in my head, but HOW THE HELL do you manage this? By Deneir's Holy Hand, the level of detail you can give AND reference.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2019 :  07:35:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Eric,

You have no idea the shear pleasure it brought me finding the one or two map-related items he missed... compared to the 500 or so he pointed me to that I was unaware of.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2019 :  16:50:24  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My new copy arrived!

Awesome!

https://imgur.com/a/OfsUfvW

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2019 :  17:32:32  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

My new copy arrived!

Awesome!

Looks great!

--
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2019 :  08:19:17  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for this, it's great for what I've seen (got to read it now), I am grateful you released this for us to dig and play with.
We would need more people like you in the gaming business.
And of course thanks also to the "people in the shadows" George, Markustay, Ed, Steven, Mark and Erskine.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2019 :  22:56:12  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for this, it's great for what I've seen (got to read it now), I am grateful you released this for us to dig and play with.
We would need more people like you in the gaming business.
And of course thanks also to the "people in the shadows" George, Markustay, Ed, Steven, Mark and Erskine.

Thank you!

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2019 :  14:23:35  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would there be interest in hosting this on Candlekeep as well?

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2019 :  14:55:56  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling Alaundo would love to host it here!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2019 :  21:05:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Big Al would be delighted. You can contact Big Al directly, or I can give him a ping, whichever you prefer.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2019 :  08:42:34  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

--Eric

Well met

It would be an absolute honour, Eric I'd be very happy to place such a wondrous work of Realmslore within these halls.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2019 :  18:36:46  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

--Eric

Well met

It would be an absolute honour, Eric I'd be very happy to place such a wondrous work of Realmslore within these halls.

You have the links. Have at it. :-)

--
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2019 :  10:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

--Eric

Well met

You have the links. Have at it. :-)

Well met

Thy wondrous works are now on the site. Many thanks, once again I've added credit on the site's main credits page also.

Site update announcement
Bard's Rumours hosting page
Direct download
Direct download (annotated)

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2019 :  15:36:23  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now how am I supposed to work on my own campaign when I have this to peruse?

How am I supposed to go to work under the same circumstances?!?!

This is spectacular! Thank you!

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2019 :  17:49:39  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As promised (?), here are a few notes for playing in the 15th century. I don't own either Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle or Scourge of the Sword Coast (I had to pester a friend for the references), but if you want some in-deep info about NPCs and places, just ask.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FqypywqAVQ-b7s9dR8htbHnJVtA0meV-/view?usp=drivesdk

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 08 May 2019 17:50:08
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2019 :  17:34:51  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, thank you!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2019 :  18:12:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

As promised (?), here are a few notes for playing in the 15th century. I don't own either Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle or Scourge of the Sword Coast (I had to pester a friend for the references), but if you want some in-deep info about NPCs and places, just ask.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FqypywqAVQ-b7s9dR8htbHnJVtA0meV-/view?usp=drivesdk

Very nicely done!

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2019 :  20:42:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something i just noticed.

On page 117 the term Balduran fisherfolk appears on line 21-22, but the Everwinking Eye article - Words to the Wise - states that the place nomenclature for Baldur's Gate is Baldurian (never Balduran, for to misuse the founder's name is to insult his memory and the city).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2019 :  22:13:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you!

Anyone else have edits or suggestions?

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2019 :  02:17:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you!

I'm slowly working my way through reading this one, and I've been compiling a list of edits. Mostly just things like a missing word here or a dropped parenthesis there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2019 :  02:40:21  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Thank you!

I'm slowly working my way through reading this one, and I've been compiling a list of edits. Mostly just things like a missing word here or a dropped parenthesis there.

Sounds great! Can't wait to see them.

--
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2019 :  02:37:21  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My new copy arrived!

Awesome!

Where/how did you print this? Did they bind it as well? Looks great.

Edited by - Ozreth on 02 Jun 2019 03:10:28
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2019 :  01:41:16  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozreth

quote:

My new copy arrived!

Awesome!

Where/how did you print this? Did they bind it as well? Looks great.

I can't recall the place. They did bind it. Just google custom printing and binding. It was simple, just upload the PDF, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2019 :  17:08:04  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello

I'm reading Under Illefarn Anew and I love it very much.

I was intriguing about the "lost well" :

"The lost well was overrun by an army of goblins and orcs led by hobgoblins in the Year of the Shattered Altar (1264 DR), but no trace of the dwarven population was ever found."

Is there something more about it ?

Edit : sorry, I've not seen the note.

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Edited by - Asharak on 21 Jul 2019 17:31:24
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2019 :  17:38:20  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the right question is : what's well is the lost one ?

The large ones are Thelarn's Fist, Sabrishon, and Iritasker. The smaller ones are Uestingpool and Tunthryn.

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2019 :  01:30:27  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you are enjoying it.

The "lost well" was meant to build off FR11 – Dwarves Deep, page 59. My thought is there was once a sixth well which was abandoned / forgotten / buried under mysterious circumstances. It's up to you if you want to take that hook and run with it, but I am unlikely to develop it further for a long time.

The "army of goblins and orcs led by hobgoblins in the Year of the Shattered Altar (1264 DR)" was meant to build off Prayers from the Faithful, page 37.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

Hello

I'm reading Under Illefarn Anew and I love it very much.

I was intriguing about the "lost well" :

"The lost well was overrun by an army of goblins and orcs led by hobgoblins in the Year of the Shattered Altar (1264 DR), but no trace of the dwarven population was ever found."

Is there something more about it ?

Edit : sorry, I've not seen the note.

--
Go to Top of Page

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
67 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2019 :  06:53:50  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone! Eric, thank you so much for this very valuable book. It is a very high quality work. Congratulations. It's impressive!

Unfortunately I am only having access to the material recently. Questions: Why is the book dated in 2014 when the book was released now in 2019? And why are the rules in 3.5 and not in 5th edition? (No problem with the 3rd edition, just to know).

Sorry for my english.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2019 :  10:59:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodrigoalcanza

Hello everyone! Eric, thank you so much for this very valuable book. It is a very high quality work. Congratulations. It's impressive!

Unfortunately I am only having access to the material recently. Questions: Why is the book dated in 2014 when the book was released now in 2019? And why are the rules in 3.5 and not in 5th edition? (No problem with the 3rd edition, just to know).

Sorry for my english.

I wrote it a while ago, but only decided to post it recently.

I'm much more comfortable with 3.5e than 5e. (Not knocking 5e.) Plus, so much more material was published for 3.5e, there's a lot more to play with, rules-wise.

--
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2019 :  16:43:37  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just now seeing this. Very well done, Eric!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000