Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood on Twitter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  19:25:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Zariel warning people against the Cassalanters in Dragon Heist:

@djtigon

One of my players is a Conquest Paladin/ Warlock with his patron being Zariel. They're running WD:Dragon Heist.

Would Zariel order, warn, or in any way tell this Paladin/Warlock who serves and seeks to win her favor to not interfere with the Cassalanter's affairs?

This is more of a question of the politics of hell I guess. Would Asmodeus get upset at Zariel if her minion got in the way of his plans? Would there be consequences? Would she worry about preventing that.

(Intentionally brief/vague cause some of my players follow me)

@TheEdVerse

If I was DM, Zariel would not warn, for more entertainment plus test of the warlock PC. Asmodeus wouldn't get upset, because most tools (pawns/mortals/PCs and others) are flawed, and fail...and again, entertainment lies in seeing their tangents and screwups. But Asmodeus would take steps, calmly, coldly, and ruthlessly. Not upset, because expecting underlings and dupes to make mistakes. Steps taken would be to send other underlings and dupes to deal with mistake-making pawns (PCs).

More entertainment for all... ;}
#Realmslore

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  19:26:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On an orcish word for dots, and the Alzehdo for constellation:

@MissMartinsen

In the spirit of random questions, I’ve two for you today, Great Sage.
1. What is the Orcus word for dot/dots?
2. What is the Alzehdo word for constellation?
Many thanks!

@TheEdVerse

Hoo boy. I can answer #2. #1 awakens queries within me:

1. Do you mean the language Orcus would speak (Abyssal)? And an ellipsis, or dot on a page (written punctuation)? Or a speck/small darkness visible in the sky or on a light surface?
2. kuarr (“Koo-AR”)
#Realmslore

@MissMartinsen

Oh geez. I meant ‘Orcish’. My phone autocorrected to Orcus!

The fact that it even did that is... telling.

I’m at once amused and mortified!

@TheEdVerse

Ah! Well, if you mean dot as in “small mark,” in writing or otherwise, that’s ib (plural ibhul) in Orcish.

If you mean a speck (something seen at a distance in air or water, too distant to be identified), that’s shaauuk (“SHAY-ook,” literally ‘eye-fist'), plural shaauuka.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2020 :  13:02:53  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

On the current status of Finder and Moander:

@LeslieCourtne14

Hey Ed! I’m interested in crafting an adventure centered around the god Moander, but I’m not sure if he’s still dead as of the Second Sundering or not, and the current status of Finder Wyvernspur. Do you have any advice, oh master of lore?

@TheEdVerse

All the gods are back. That includes the famous loner Finder and Moander, who’s maintaining a low profile, lurking in many different patches of rot and decay across Faerûn, and seeking to corrupt minds nearby (like the Rotting Man).

Moander...shall...arise.
#Realmslore

That is awesome. Love me some Moander...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2020 :  13:05:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is quickly becoming my favorite scroll. Love the EDLORE!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2020 :  16:00:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

This is quickly becoming my favorite scroll. Love the EDLORE!

Looking at the read count, it does appear this is one of our more active scrolls. There are others with a higher count, but I believe this one is much younger than those others.

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2020 :  21:02:02  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has this thread made it into the scroll yet? https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1091759929378197504?s=20

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2020 :  00:38:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, in reading some of the above.... I thought I'd seen every conceivable alternative form of magical casting (candle, gem, dance, song, pact, divine, psionic, etc..)… but table magic??? Is he talking about stuff like Tarot? I feel really stupid like this should be an obvious thing, but I'm drawing a blank.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2020 :  04:27:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Has this thread made it into the scroll yet? https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1091759929378197504?s=20

It's on page 14.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2020 :  23:09:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A glimpse of table magic is in the novel “Silverfall”.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  13:15:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

A glimpse of table magic is in the novel “Silverfall”.

— George Krashos

Save me the hunt, what's it like? séance type stuff?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  17:45:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's on p.280 - basically magic cards that if placed in particular sequences and configurations create a web of ongoing or hanging spells, that the caster can access 7 of even when away from the table. It's an interesting read.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  20:59:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It's on p.280 - basically magic cards that if placed in particular sequences and configurations create a web of ongoing or hanging spells, that the caster can access 7 of even when away from the table. It's an interesting read.

-- George Krashos

Hmmm, I like that. Tying it to a "wheel of spells" game deck might be interesting. Will have to read the original. Thanks for the specific page info, I'll go find the book in a bit.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:14:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On an elven term for a younger sister:

@whitniverse

...previously you helped me find a nickname younger eleven brother (thank you) but now I’m looking for a term for a younger wood elf sibling. With Druids living so long, is there an elvish word for ‘shoot’ (as in plant) to describe a much younger sister?

@TheEdVerse

Sure. In the elven tongue, a masculine green growing shoot or sprout is “kel,” and a feminine one (used for all flowering plants, and for a much younger sister, too) is “kele” (pronounced “kell”).
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:15:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On auroras:

@MisrulesTheDay

Well again, Master Ed! I was wondering about Toril's polar auroras. How far south can they be seen? Do you get glimpses as far south as Silverymoon or are they mostly limited to above the Spine of the World?

@TheEdVerse

They are most brilliant and prevalent north of the Spine of the World, but the aurorae can be seen (on infrequent occasions) as far south as Triboar (so, south of Silverymoon and Everlund).
@Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:15:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Bane and monks:

@decalverhall

I hate to take up your time, sir, but I would like a bit of #Realmslore, if you don’t mind, regarding Bane. Has he ordained any monastic orders for his service? I am having a wee bit of trouble finding anything on the matter.

@TheEdVerse

Not that I know of. Bane is a god of active tyranny. Monastic orders are too withdrawn from the world (politics) for his liking, and how he wants mortals to behave. He might have some of his priests withdraw to a remote stronghold to prepare some nasty surprise for the world, but they’d still not be contemplative monks. Some deities value holy contemplation, and some value action. Bane is the latter sort.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:16:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Cormyrean adventuring charters:

Hey Ed, hope you and yours are keeping healthy these days! I was wondering if you could explain some realmslore for me that I want to use in a Cormyr campaign. I remember reading there were “basic” and “royal, gold-leafed” adventuring charters, what is the difference?

@TheEdVerse

Legally, they're the same. However, a royal charter was personally presented to an adventurer (or their group) by a member of the royal family, usually for a personal service (e.g. Florin rescuing the King from a brigand attack). This means instant respect from loyal Cormyreans, and perhaps distrust from nobles or others opposed to the Obarskyrs, if they see the charter document (which is, indeed, burnished with gold leaf on its inaugural "swash" capital letter, and is gilt-edged).

A 'regular' charter is presented by a courtier (scribe, clerk, or Crown herald of the Royal Court), and has the royal seal, but lacks a personal royal initial (signed onto the charter by a member of the royal family).
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:17:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On other races in Uthgardt tribes:

@PastorPlague

I was wondering if any other race were ever accepted in or born in to the Uthgardt tribes. I know they hated orcs but would they accept half-orcs? Or are their any other races that are common among them?

@TheEdVerse

There is giant blood among the Uthgardt, and the occasional half-orc, but most half-orcs would not be accepted into a tribe (instead, they’d be driven forth to fend for themselves, and likely die, when seven or eight summers old), as orcs are feared and hated foes that the Uthgardt have to fight off constantly.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:17:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On pronunciations:

@xaeyruudh

I know this might seem inane, but is Chauncelgaunt pronounced tchAWN-sil-gawnt? Or is it a hard kAWN-?

@gkrashos

For what it’s worth, I’ve always gone with the “ch” in champion.

@xaeyruudh

I have too. Chauncel just keeps reminding me of Council. And since the settlers came from Chondath it would have consequences for that and Chondalwood too, right?

I'm checking the gray box, but I haven't found answers yet.

@TheEdVerse

It's "CHAN-sell-gaunt." ;}
And, yes, "CHON-dath" and "CHON-dell-wood."
#Realmslore

@xaeyruudh

The more I check the pronunciations in the gray box, the more names I realize I've been mispronouncing for the last 33 years. #128561;

Calantar really takes me by surprise, but I was off on Aglarond too.

@TheEdVerse

Never worry about pronunciations. The Realms is a big place, with lots of local accents. One person's "Sil-oon-ay" is the next one's "Sell-oon," and they both know who the other one is talking about.

So if you 'mispronounce' something, you're just sounding like SOMEONE in the Realms.

Jeff Grubb and I came up with that idea right away, because TSR folks in the same building all used their own pronunciations for the same Realms names.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:18:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On setting up evil cults in Waterdeep:

@TLMayesing

how viable would it be for an evil cult (Bhaal, Bane, or Myrkul) to set up a shrine/temple in the Waterdeep sewers? For that matter what would they offer their recruits?

@TheEdVerse

Not viable at all, considering the city inspectors, the Xanathar agents creeping around, and the gleaners (poor citizens trying to literally dredge and scrape a living from the sewer flows). However, it’s VERY viable for cults to set up just a teensy bit higher, in the CELLARS of city buildings. Many cults are already established in such places, and in “upper rooms” of city buildings, too, which has given rise to the local phrase “whispers in upper rooms” and “upper room whisperers” (where in the modern real-world we would speak of “back room dealings”).

As for inducements offered to recruits:
Bane: to be an insider in a plot to overthrow the Masked Lords and set themselves up in a new tyranny that would rule Waterdeep “properly” and exterminate all nobles, enriching the city and those newly in power (including the recruits) by confiscating all noble wealth and properties.

Bhaal: to join a cool, secretive masked by-night fellowship that captures select people and “rightfully” murders them in on-altar rituals to the god (so, the slayings are not a crime, and the cult works to protect you from arrest by the Watch and any consequences of the killings). As a joining member, you get to name one candidate the cult will kill (i.e. someone you hate or owe coin to).

Myrkul: to join a small, select faithful whom all fear, so you’ll be treated with respect; no demands or social obligations will made of you. The undead will serve you; you can command them to do your bidding, including taking your revenges on living enemies and those who owe you.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:18:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On spellfire and the Shadow Weave:

@hans_kamerman
A question if I may, something that has been bugging me for days now: is there an equivalent of spellfire in the Shadow Weave? And if so, who/what were it’s wielders?

@TheEdVerse

No, there isn't. Spellfire is a 'wild talent' way of accessing the raw power of the Weave. That raw power is like a consuming fire when in contact with Shadow Weave magic, so it destroys Shadow Weave spells.

Also, because of this, no Shadow Weave practitioner has time/opportunity to master spellfire effects; it's like trying to learn to knit with wool that's on fire and melting in your hands.

Mystra permits spellfire to spread magic use; Shar spreads loss and chaos.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:19:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On spellfire and the Shadow Weave:

@hans_kamerman
A question if I may, something that has been bugging me for days now: is there an equivalent of spellfire in the Shadow Weave? And if so, who/what were it’s wielders?

@TheEdVerse

No, there isn't. Spellfire is a 'wild talent' way of accessing the raw power of the Weave. That raw power is like a consuming fire when in contact with Shadow Weave magic, so it destroys Shadow Weave spells.

Also, because of this, no Shadow Weave practitioner has time/opportunity to master spellfire effects; it's like trying to learn to knit with wool that's on fire and melting in your hands.

Mystra permits spellfire to spread magic use; Shar spreads loss and chaos.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:19:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the colors and heraldry of Cormyr's House Illance:

Mar 17, 2020

@icequeenerika

do you have any information on the heraldry, colours, signs and so on of Cormyrean House Illance? I've checked everything and come up blank on those details for that family.

@TheEdVerse

The Illances have been around for a long, long time, and have used various blazons, down the years, but for the last two centuries have used a black raven, clutching a black lance, on a crimson (blood-red) field. The raven is facing the viewer directly, but its head is turned to look off to its right (the viewer’s left), in the pose known in real-world heraldry as “displayed” (wings and legs splayed), and in this case its talons are clutching a horizontal lance (like a jousting lance), point towards the viewer’s left. The raven’s beak is closed and horizontal, and its lone visible eye is crimson. If this is on a banner or surcoat, or painted on a shield, the royal purple field will be triangular, with a flat horizontal top, and a long, symmetrical point (an upside-down isoceles triangle).

An earlier version of the House Illance blazon, in use for almost the entire 1200s, was identical except that the field (background) was royal purple and not crimson. The raven’s eye, however, WAS crimson.

The Illances call their blazon “The Vengeful Vigilant.”
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:20:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Cormyr's version of a dunce cap:

@jayeedgecliff

What is the Cormyrian cultural equivalent of a dunce cap?

I have a character who doesn’t think highly of the Illance family – especially those near her age – and may wish to suggest to them a new piece of heraldry

@TheEdVerse

The Cormyrean dunce cap equivalent is The Cracked Helm, a heavy war-helm that's been split in two by an axe so that all that's holding it together is its heavy collar (low on the wearer's chest). One half hangs completely away from the head it's no longer protecting.

The colloquial expression is "So you're wearing the Cracked Helm these days, hmm?" or "He's a proper Cracked Helm" or "Time to fit him for the Cracked Helm" or "Plenty of Cracked Helms in THAT lot."
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:21:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Enclave:

@ZeromaruX

@TheEdVerse, do you know if the Enclave (that cabal of wizards of Unther) survived the Spellplague? And if they did, how was their relationship with the dragonborn of Tymanther?

@TheEdVerse

The Enclave are now a scattered handful of individuals, at least two of them mad (brains ruined by the Spellplague). As a political force, they don’t exist. Untherians believe them dead and gone. The four functional surviving mages are in hiding, not daring to use their magic except in public, and even then very sparingly. So they have no relationship with the dragonborn, or much of anyone else. Masked, hooded, and otherwise disguised, they might from time to time be in the market to hire adventures to go and do things for them in public.
#Realmslore

@RandomQueriant

Not daring to use magic EXCEPT in public? ... What would make magic unwelcome except when there are witnesses to its use?

Is this something like me only being willing to work on electricity if I know someone is there ready to call 911?

@TheEdVerse

It’s not that magic has become unwelcome. It’s that the four surviving Enclave members are trying to pose as minor wizards, casting small and useful magics in return for fees, NOT a cabal or political force, these days.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:21:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Fangshields:

@tehyoji

Do the Fangshields still exist as an organization in the current times of Forgotten Realms? I find them to be an interesting group and was wondering how they fared over the past century.

@TheEdVerse

Yes, the Fangshields still exist, though they suffered heavy losses during the Second Sundering (some deaths, and some being left in Abeir when Abeir and Toril drifted apart again), and are reduced in number to 70-some individuals. In the 1490s DR, the Fangshields are more of a “secret society of adventurers” operating against evil beasts and humans and other humanoids that oppress beasts (mistreat animals, that is; the Fangshields don’t see farmers who keep oxen or horses as oppressors unless they beat, starve, or overwork their animals) than they are a publicly known military force. Members who are wolves, centaurs, faerie dragons, falcons, and owls act as messengers between other Fangshield members, alerting them to nearby threats and coordinating Fangshield activities. Fangshields have recently broken open the menageries of certain Calishite satraps who collect animals, and freed all the caged beasts.

Lurath the Golden (a griffon with a gilded beak, who lost his right eye in battle and wears an eyepatch over it) is one notable Fangshield leader. Another is the pseudodragon Waerrus, a gruff and sarcastic sky blue pseudodragon of great age and experience, who sports an untidy wisp of a beard, and makes a good living selling secrets (overheard information) to courtiers and sages across the Heartlands.

A senior Fangshield member, the loxo Elaeruth, is known to operate a haven for Fangshield members to heal and hide in, somewhere near the Duskwood, in the foothills of the south face of the westernmost Firesteap Mountains.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:22:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the portfolio of Time:

@Yacabolet

Hey @TheEdVerse: after the fall of Netheril, the replacement of the goddess of magic a few times, the reshuffling of portfolios, and the return of Amaunator; which god (if any) is responsible for the portfolio of Time? Can't find an answer as of modern day FR.

@TheEdVerse

No god is “responsible” for any portfolio; portfolios are mortal attempts to understand/explain which aspects of mortal life deities concentrate their attempts to influence upon (from the outset, I emphasized this by deliberately using a modern real-world word, “portfolio,” rather than an in-world term). Ao has subtly cut back access to tinkerings with time during all the recent chaos, to survive mostly as forms of stasis, and not true time travel. So no deity is now strongly associated with, or has much power over time (beyond a time stop or stasis-related spell). And as no god likes to advertise their weaknesses or failings, they just don’t talk about it.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:22:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the White Pack:

@tehyoji

Thank you ... I have a related follow up question. Whatever happened to the White Pack, who were members of the Fangshields? SCAG says that the Selûneites went on a crusade against Lycanthropes, so did they get put to the sword too?

@TheEdVerse

The White Pack still exist, though many now believe them mere legends, long dead and gone. They went “underground,” relocating, taking were-shape as seldom as possible, and becoming skulkers and pouncers more than a bold, public fighting force. They remain part of the Fangshields, and act as “enforcers” when need be (fighting or slaying on behalf of fellow Fangshields who need their aid). These days, they’re akin to a secret society.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:23:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On water clocks:

@richlore88

@TheEdVerse, O sagacious one, I wanted to learn more about the Water Clocks of the Realms. Are they cumbersome? Do they require refilling? Is there any element of magic involved in their construction? Thank you for your time and stay safe!

@TheEdVerse

It depends. When first introduced, they filled rooms. And required constant tending/refilling due to evaporation, because they had so many open bowls and spillways. Most bore enchantments (not to construct them, but for effects they produced, to mark the passing time; linking them to horns or chimes or bells in cities or temple towers, for example).

But as time went on, waterclocks got smaller and less elaborate and better at running longer without tending. As the "proud display" of having one faded, and the need for less consumption of indoor space, and weight, took over. In hot climates, unless really humid, evaporation is a problem for outdoor clocks. In cold ones, freezing is, so waterclocks have to be indoors, at least sheltered from wind.
#Realmslore

@Greysil_Tassyr

Why use magic on a water clock instead of just having a magical timepiece?

On a related note, how widely used is magic for keeping time? How accurate is magically-kept time? Does this magic need frequent renewals?

@TheEdVerse

Magic was used on early water clocks because they were installed hastily, on public display, as status symbols, and means of mechanically linking them to existing bells, chimes, and the like (to make the passage of time audible widely, not just in the same room), was impractical, or impossible, or clumsy. The magic provided the link between clock and sounding device, in some cases.

Magic is almost never used for keeping time in the Realms. Most folk rise and go to bed with the sun (available light), or work by lantern- or candle- or torch light on a task basis (we need to mix the dough, then knead it, then form loaves and put them into the ovens Loreth has readied to the right heat, as soon as possible, THEN start morningfeast).

Although the game may seem to make magic plentiful and everywhere, in daily life most folk can't work magic, can't even dream of affording it, and wouldn't know where to access it. They hear of magic in tales, they don't use it for keeping time or anything else.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:24:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Waterdhavian noble houses who worshiped the Dead Three:

@TLMayesing

it appears the web update on Waterhavian noble houses was made when the Dark Three were in active. Are there any noble houses with secret widespread affiliations with Bane, Bhaal, or Myrkul?

@TheEdVerse

No. The ethos of those deities don’t fit with what noble houses need and want: longevity, security of the status quo with them on top, respect for life so they don’t get assassinated, and so on. All sane, intelligent humans along the Sword Coast worship ALL the main-pantheon human deities, remember, though some by alignment, interests, and inclination may cleave more to one god or a few gods than the rest. In the past, a few individual nobles were attracted to Bane as a tyrant, but Bane’s clergy by their actions threatened nobles and established rulers in favor of their own tyranny, or the tyranny of the god, so Bane’s veneration never came to the fore among nobles.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  21:24:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On what's written in the Realms about the Dawn Cataclysm:

@BruceDonhue
Hello Ed hope that you are well. If a Lathanderan Priest did a Commune Spell and asked Lathander, has there ever been written a full detailed account of the Dawn Cataclysm and if there answer is yes, the next question asked would be can it be found?

@TheEdVerse

Hi! I'm okay, and have your earlier question in the queue.

As for this one...

No full, detailed account of the Dawn Cataclysm has ever been written. Various priests of various deities have penned various accounts (found in a few holy books in a handful of major temples) of what the deity told them, long after the event, and such slanted, omitting-much accounts (deities tend to tell their followers versions that make themselves seem most important, and that portray them flatteringly) are all the Realms (will ever) have.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000