Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Old Skull Inn - what details do we have?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  16:50:34  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

Sorry to bother everyone, but I'm working on a creative project that involves the Old Skull Inn (among other locations), and I was wondering what information is presented about it, beyond whiat is given in the 2nd Ed. Campaign Setting? Specifically, anything relating to its construction, design and furnishings.

Googling it presents me with an interior image which doesn't seem to be accurate to the floorplans I already know about, so that doesn't help much.

Any help would be welcome.

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  17:14:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think most of the 'details' we've had about it were either in novels, or in Volo's Guide to the Dalelands (and I'm not 100% about the latter).

I think we've also had at least two different 'canon' maps of the place, IIRC.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Feb 2017 17:14:28
Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  17:17:27  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's nothing in Volo's Guide. Elminster chases him away.

Can you remember where the other map is, out of interest?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  17:34:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest check the OGB(Old Grey Box) and the 2nd Edition Box Set first.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  17:57:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really, nothing in the Volo's Guide? Thats surprising. I KNOW I've read descriptions of the place- must all be from novels (Spellfire or its sequel jump to mind right now, but I know there are others).

I know of one map for sure in the FRIA (I just checked it). I have to go out now - I'll try to do more later.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  19:41:26  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Old Grey Box there is some information in one of the included quests Beneath the Twisted Tower. Not much however.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6652 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  22:38:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Old Skull Inn maps are from the 3E Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land adventure.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  09:57:33  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, yeah, the 3E map helps with getting the dimensions right. Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  15:20:49  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd suggest having a look at The Forgotten Realms Atlas, by Karen Wynn Fonstad, specifically page 103.

It has an illustration which details the layout of the Inn, a small piece of the stables, and the main entrance.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  17:40:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The map on pg. 76 of the Cyclopedia of the Realms is identical to the one in the FRIA.

The one in the Fonstad atlas 'mostly' agrees with those two (there are two extra hearths in Alias' room not shown on other maps, probably because thats what the story said). The rest of the layout looks correct.

Not sure why I thought there were different maps - I must have been thinking of something else (maybe the Yawning Portal?)

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Feb 2017 17:41:32
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  17:42:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does the shadowdale adventure in the 2nd ed campaign setting have a map in as well?

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  18:08:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, it just suggests referencing the material in the OGB.

Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2017 :  01:36:10  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Filth
Googling it presents me with an interior image which doesn't seem to be accurate to the floorplans I already know about, so that doesn't help much.

You're probably referring to this?

http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/dales/shadowdale/oldskullrooms.shtml

Then there's this:

http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/dales/shadowdale/oldskullinn.shtml

Yummy:

http://www.ongoingworlds.com/games/625/posts/310

Hope these help.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2017 :  15:55:34  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, that's excellent. Thanks!

Edited by - Doc Filth on 27 Feb 2017 15:55:51
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000